Jump to content

Report: Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He was certainly noticeably better in the Bucs game, and looked great in the first half of the Eagles game. And I agree injuries at WR left him with largely scrubs at WR. I don't put much stock in the Week 18 game against the Bills, for instance, which was Keenan Cole and a bunch of practice squad types against the best defense in the NFL.

But I also think his "improvement" at the end of the season is largely overstated by Jets fans who want to believe. He was basically neutered and told to stop turning the ball over to give us a chance, which he did. The only game where I would say he was legitimately good and showed flashes that make you think "he looks like the guy" was the Bucs game. Easily his high water mark as an NFL QB.

I just have a hard time getting hyped about how "he improved down the stretch" when you have hideous games like the Saints game (maybe his worst game as a pro, neck and neck with the Broncos game and the first Pats game) and "nothing" games like his game against the Texans and Jags in there where he was totally unspectacular against bad teams. Even the wild fluctuation between halves like with the 2nd Dolphins game and the Eagles game are kind of hard to wrap your head around.

I've debated this on this forum before, but Sam Darnold showed significantly more "improvement" over the final games of his rookie season than Wilson did -- and we were badly burned on that one. I need to see more than one "good game" from Wilson before I start to buy in, but that's just me.

I understand what you're saying and mostly don't disagree with you...just two things really..

1) I was just pointing out that the numbers aren't a a fair way to look at Zach post injury.

2) I'm not sure he was "neutered" as much as he learned.  Yes, he didn't have talent around him so couldn't be agressive - but I think more than that was he started to play within the system.  Getting the ball to playmakers and let them do the work.  Early in the season he was just trying to push the ball downfield far too often.  Unfortunately he didn't have the playmakers to do anything with the ball once he got it to them...Just saying those last five games he started playing within the offense and it worked for him (sort of)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Would he? He didn't throw a pick in the final five games... But here are his stats from the final five games, extrapolated over a 17 game season.

245 of 476 (51.43%) for 2,703 yards (159 YPG). 10 TDs. 5.7 YPA.

Let's go back 6 games -- since I'm sure you'd want the Eagles game included here.

269 of 504 (53.37%) for 2,892 yards (170 YPG) 14 TDs, Still 5.7 YPA.

These number are ghastly. If this is what his 2022 production looks like we're likely drafting in the top 5 again and picking a QB is absolutely in the conversation. I would tend to agree that signing a veteran would be more likely than drafting another QB, but you'd have to have the conversation, especially if CJ Stroud or Bryce Young are there.

 

See looking at numbers when he played with an offense decimated by injuries is pointless.  He played better looked like a different player.  If you don’t think he looked better and it was encouraging fine.  But as I’ve said before numbers have to be taken in context and you’re ignoring that POV.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for all: how much of this hoopla is ny media and fans overanalyizng and being overly critical?

I feel like when I read other boards, they're so homerific compared to us. Jets fans have been thru the ringer with young QBs the past decade that we're not tolerant of anything anymore. We've seen it all, and are done with excuses. 

Zach better ball out this season...

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serious question.

Can they bring John Beck back?  I mean he looks like sh*t now - he started to play better once Beck got there.

Maybe its a coincidence, maybe it's not....But just pay the guy whatever it takes...Woody needs to dig into his pocket a throw a couple of million at this guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Serious question.

Can they bring John Beck back?  I mean he looks like sh*t now - he started to play better once Beck got there.

Maybe its a coincidence, maybe it's not....But just pay the guy whatever it takes...Woody needs to dig into his pocket a throw a couple of million at this guy.

I definitely thought they would bring a passing game coordinator or someone to work with Zach this year. Hopefully the plan is to bring Beck back to help Zach but it appears the person is Joe Flacco. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, PFSIKH said:

What if Zach only plays marginally better. 

The results of which see a similar bump in numbers like Josh Allen had in his second year.  He throws for more yards.  He has a better TD to INT ratio.  A better completion percentage.    The Jets are more than likely still in Top 10 of the draft with a shot at one of the top QBs.  

The Jets have decision to make.  You are one more season away from having to decide on whether to pick up Zach's fifth year option.  If the Jets are not in love with him, he probably only has two seasons.  A veteran can get you in contention for the playoffs, but how much further? 

Do you not consider pulling a Cardinals move?  Stroud, Young and/or Levis are all staring at the Jets as their time on the clock starts.  How can you not consider?

I love Mac Jones.    I believe he will be even better this year.  However, even if he is better, but the gap is not closer between Josh Allen and the Bills.  I could see a scenario, if the Patriots are a 4-5 win team, the Patriots looking hard at a new QB.   

 

Funny thing about this post is that the Dolphins are FAR more likely to be looking at QBs next year than the Jets

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, accuracy issues based on discussing a series one day 1 of 3 day OTAs

I clearly remember reports of where he was like 10 of 11 or whatever and the only miss was a drop.  

 

And if the reports were Zach was killing it in OTAs you’d be going nuts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

And if the reports were Zach was killing it in OTAs you’d be going nuts

They were outside of one practice.

So as usual youre wrong 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've debated this on this forum before, but Sam Darnold showed significantly more "improvement" over the final games of his rookie season than Wilson did -- and we were badly burned on that one. I need to see more than one "good game" from Wilson before I start to buy in, but that's just me.

I don’t disagree, but Sam also had Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon (back when we thought he was good), and Jermaine Kearse thru those three good games. Robby had over 300 yards and three TDs over that stretch. Zach didn’t have that. 
 
Sam flashed brighter, but Zach’s stretch was longer. The first couple of games after he came back, he and Elijah Moore hooked up for 10 catches, 123 yards, and a TD, then Moore was done for the year. Week 14, he lost Crowder, who had five catches that day and no other receiver had two. Berrios and Kraft were his top receivers the following week (the team’s #4 WR and discarded TE now), with 5 and 3 catches, respectively, for about 50 yards. Against Tampa, Berrios had a “big” game with 8 catches, 65 yards and a TD, and his #2 receiver that day was Ty Johnson (another dumped player) with 3 catches for 47 yards. And let’s not forget that the OL was starting to suffer damage at this point, too. 
 
Just some context. This is why I’m always pounding the table for more weapons, and this year Joe Douglas did everything he could to bring them in. The reason for optimism being that if Zach could look decent with anything but a decent cast around him, he should look a lot better with Moore, GWilson, Conklin, Uzomah, and Hall. It’s up to him and the coaches to make that happen. I won’t be surprised if the Jets pick up another WR off the waiver wire before the season, either. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I definitely thought they would bring a passing game coordinator or someone to work with Zach this year. Hopefully the plan is to bring Beck back to help Zach but it appears the person is Joe Flacco. 

They’re going for continuity. So same QB room, and same coaches, LaFluer and Calabrese (who allegedly turned down a college OC job to stay). Doubt Beck makes a return. He’ll be busy with a strong QB class coming up. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t disagree, but Sam also had Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon (back when we thought he was good), and Jermaine Kearse thru those three good games. Robby had over 300 yards and three TDs over that stretch. Zach didn’t have that. 
 
Sam flashed brighter, but Zach’s stretch was longer. The first couple of games after he came back, he and Elijah Moore hooked up for 10 catches, 123 yards, and a TD, then Moore was done for the year. Week 14, he lost Crowder, who had five catches that day and no other receiver had two. Berrios and Kraft were his top receivers the following week (the team’s #4 WR and discarded TE now), with 5 and 3 catches, respectively, for about 50 yards. Against Tampa, Berrios had a “big” game with 8 catches, 65 yards and a TD, and his #2 receiver that day was Ty Johnson (another dumped player) with 3 catches for 47 yards. And let’s not forget that the OL was starting to suffer damage at this point, too. 
 
Just some context. This is why I’m always pounding the table for more weapons, and this year Joe Douglas did everything he could to bring them in. The reason for optimism being that if Zach could look decent with anything but a decent cast around him, he should look a lot better with Moore, GWilson, Conklin, Uzomah, and Hall. It’s up to him and the coaches to make that happen. I won’t be surprised if the Jets pick up another WR off the waiver wire before the season, either. 

There's certainly some truth to this -- Robby Anderson is a much better WR than anyone who played for the Jets against the Bucs for instance -- but I think you're overstating the case a little bit. For the majority of Wilson's rookie year he had (IMO) significantly better weapons than Darnold did as a rookie. They both had periods where the thin depth was decimated by injuries and they were playing with nobodies (in Darnold's case Deontay Burnett, and Wilson's case Jeff Smith etc.) And you're right that Wilson's "good" stretch overlapped with some of the thinnest periods whereas Darnold's best stretch was when the team was healthiest.

That said, Darnold against the Packers went 24 of 35 for 341 yards, 3 TDs and 0 picks. He looked the part going toe to toe with Aaron Rogers (with zero running game to speak of) in a game that looked like two real franchise QBs dueling it out. Maybe I'm a little biased because I was at that game in person. You can trash the Packers defense or hype Robby Anderson if you want but that game was a legitimately good, modern NFL QB performance -- and frankly Anderson, Kearse, and Herndon is not a "value add" group of receivers in the modern NFL. He was damn good against the Texans too. The Bills game was more of a "he looked good given the circumstances" on the road against a great defense with some highlight plays... But I dunno man. Weapons or not I just didn't see a three game stretch from Zach even close to that.

For sure, if he can get the turnovers under control I'm curious how he does with some improved playmakers -- Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall hitting the ground running as actual playmakers will be huge for this team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For the majority of Wilson's rookie year he had (IMO) significantly better weapons than Darnold did as a rookie.

When the team was healthy, it was early in the season, and no one knew what they were doing. The OL was a mess, and -quite honestly- Zach was worse. I mean, he was terrible. He was unable to take advantage of the healthy players around him.
 
I’m certainly not guaranteeing anything, but I do think context is important, and there are some reasons for optimism - sketchy OTAs aside. My glass will remain half full until Zach knocks it over for me (or fills it up!). 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, slats said:

When the team was healthy, it was early in the season, and no one knew what they were doing. The OL was a mess, and -quite honestly- Zach was worse. I mean, he was terrible. He was unable to take advantage of the healthy players around him.
 
I’m certainly not guaranteeing anything, but I do think context is important, and there are some reasons for optimism - sketchy OTAs aside. My glass will remain half full until Zach knocks it over for me (or fills it up!). 

Totally fair.

I think I am probably more "on guard" with Zach because I bought in on Darnold. I think it's just made me naturally more skeptical.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t disagree, but Sam also had Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon (back when we thought he was good), and Jermaine Kearse thru those three good games. 

A veritable Murderer’s Row

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A veritable Murderer’s Row

Call me when someone gives Jeff Smith $10M/year or trades a fourth round pick for Krofty. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol.   You think he’d come to the Jets after another failed QB?  
 

I

If we hired the right head coach and staff he would.  Why pair a rookie QB from a small school with a rookie HC from the defensive side of the ball?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is something that I never understood about the Jets Message Boards. Some people seem to think that there are groups of fans who "hate" certain players. Why would a Jets fan EVER be a Jet hater? Ever since Namath I never cared who the player was, I only cared about the uniform they were wearing. 

Just because some of us don't like what we're seeing from the QB position and the guy currently occupying it doesn't mean we are "haters" We are Jets LOVERS who hate seeing incompetence especially when there are other players who are clearly either just as good and in my opinion BETTER than Zach Wilson. I think this team would be better served with either Flacco or White starting and from the reports I've been reading....well 

Don't agree.

You might not be one of them but there are plenty of people on this board that would rather see Zach suck than the Jets be good.  They are far too invested in his failure.  It's clear and obvious to anyone paying attending.

They get joy out of his failures.  Being right is more important.  

Those people know who they are. Ask yourself - To know if you're one of them ask yourself, when you watch the games and Zach does well are you happy or pissed?   They'll never admit it, but they know who they are...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

Call me when someone gives Jeff Smith $10M/year or trades a fourth round pick for Krofty. 

If what a former Jet garners in a trade or contract is the mark of their abilities, then Jamal Adams is one of the best defensive players of all time.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

there are plenty of people on this board that would rather see Zach suck than the Jets be good.

 

Name names or it didn’t happen.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...