Report: Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs

The reporter looked at a small sample that seemed to support a narrative that Zach unfortunately earned last year.  Not nearly a robust enough assessment.  

However, as I mentioned before OTAs, it should absolutely be a major concern IF Zach CANNOT complete the easy passes during OTAs.  Especially on the heels of last year.

His accuracy last year was a BIG problem on short and mid range passes.  There should be little doubt as all the analytics and any pair of unbiased eyes will confirm this.  I mean look at the tape.

Senior year at BYU, he did not miss easy passes, raising the concern even more.  Look at the tape and scouting reports.  In baseball, some successful pitchers are a little wild but it’s concerning when an accurate pitcher who relies on that accuracy moves to the category of wild.

So the hope is that was a small non representative sample on Wednesday.  If not, the coaches need to understand if this is a mechanics issue or a mental block.  I continue to hope it’s mechanics because that might be easier to correct than a mental block.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While what you wrote is 100% correct.  Accuracy was, IMO, far and away his biggest and most serious issue last year.  This thread is silly as it's based on 4 passes.

If it were serious he would have mentioned he was almost perfect in the 7 on 7 following.  

We'll know soon if he was able to fix it.

Exactly, 4 passes, "huge sample size right there".

Lets go back to the Tampa game against the #4 D and the GOAT, Wilson hit More tight window throws in that single game than I can remember ANY Jet QB doing the same in a single game in Decades.

Some of those throws the window was the size of a thimble and he had Berrios as his #1 and No running game.

Hitting those type of throws is by DEFINITION "Accuracy".

Can Wilson do that on a consistent basis?  I don't know.

But if he can....He's a Top 5 QB.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

57.5% completions in that game. 19 for 33, 240 yards.

Good point, yet done with no team around him, but I was talking more about the quality and difficulty of the throws he made, some of which were exceptional, that game more than about the bland looking stats for that game.

Yeah, his stats look bland for most of his Rookie season, the first half of which he played terribly with his Rookie head swimming although the second half he showed that he was aware of all the errors in his play and took steps to correct them, this time on an offensive unit practically totally decimated by injury.

His accuracy was off the charts good his Senior year in college, hopefully the Jets will be seeing that consistently going forward with more experience and getting the play book memorized, along with higher quality players surrounding him.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Steve Palazzolo of PFF has a good theory regarding Zach’s future prospects here. He cited Wilson being freaky accurate his junior year, and how hard it is to reconcile that with how Inaccurate he was simply throwing the football as a rookie. His thought was that Wilson had a similar developmental path at BYU—started slow, looked bad-to-average, then worked his ways into competence—leading Palazzolo to hypothesize that Wilson is just kind of a slow learner relative to other young QBs. The confound there is that Wilson, during his one big college season, benefitted from a level of pass pro that he’ll never, ever experience again as a player, so it’s obviously an optimistic projection that getting beat up is something he’ll get used to and overcome.

That's a real nice OL Douglas built him along with some real nice players at the skill positions.

Jet fans won't have to wait long in giving Wilson a "final" grade (which is great), to try to do it based off his Rookie year is foolish.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

That's a real nice OL Douglas built him along with some real nice players at the skill positions.

Jet fans won't have to wait long in giving Wilson a "final" grade (which is great), to try to do it based off his Rookie year is foolish.

It’s a solid OL presuming either of the starting tackles are available to play at some point. Regardless, Zach was sacked 11 times in 12 games as a junior, which is absurd. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I can’t wait for TC. These threads are so idiotic.

In your opinion.

Logic tells me that if someone continues to struggle with easy things that are important to success, it’s concerning.  A franchise QB or any starting QB for that matter should easily throw with accuracy during OTAs.  If true, this would be a continuation of the same from his rookie year.

However, this jackass reporter told only 1 side of the story and looked to lazily reaffirm a narrative based on an extremely small sample.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be meaningful to me if we didn't hear this same garbage excuse for Sanchez, Geno and Darnold the last 12 years.

His about an excuse you haven’t heard yet?  I think he spent some time home on Walton’s mountain and his accuracy is adjusting to the change in elevation. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the current # 3 QB on the depth chart is really a “distraction”, then Wilson isn’t a franchise QB.  

So if Mike White shows up dressed like Zach’s mom and distracts Zach that means Zach isn’t a franchise QB? Preposterous. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Flacco takes us deep into the playoffs with this roster after Zach test positive for Peds and Zack gets an incomplete for the season. Have you seen how swole his thighs are? 

• Haha 2

Just now, The Crusher said:

Flacco takes us deep into the playoffs with this roster after Zach test positive for Peds and Zack gets an incomplete for the season. Have you seen how swole his thighs are? 

52 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The article states Flacco was firing on all cylinders, completing mostly every pass. 

Start Flacco. 

Shhhhh, you might hurt someone’s feeling saying it like that. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Wilson has better physical metrics than all three and is smarter than all three combined.

The jury is out.  Give him a chance.

Athletic traits may be objectively better...

Book smarts may be better... hard to prove.

Mental processing... which is absolutely critical and often most important... who knows. 

The speed of processing that is required to play NFL QB is absurd.  The QBs that can pick a defense apart methodically and consistently, usually are the ones who can consistently process quickly and get the ball to the open guy quickly and accurately - all in about 2 and a half seconds (on average).  Many of the elite can also do it when the play breaks down.  I do think that speed of processing is hard to predict and assess.

Speed of processing...at a competent level...is something that we haven't seen many Jet's QBs master.  It is what I want most for Zach to master.

Of course, we will have limited data points on this topic until the season starts, and overreact to any of the limited data points that become available. 

• Upvote 3