Report: Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs

The expectations for Zach should be high he was the 2nd overall pick last year. He’s had enough starts to be showing more consistency. There will be little patience from the fans and maybe management if no improvement esp in accuracy. He should have a better team to work with hopefully the CS and HC in their second year improves too. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Just curious...when you read or hear that a QB has 'arm talent', or in Zack's case 'arm talent that's off the charts' what does that mean? 'Arm talent'?

Is accuracy a separate category from 'arm talent'? What is 'arm talent'???

There was this girl in 9th grade who had amazing hand talent. I'll bet you know what that means.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Just curious...when you read or hear that a QB has 'arm talent', or in Zack's case 'arm talent that's off the charts' what does that mean? 'Arm talent'?

Is accuracy a separate category from 'arm talent'? What is 'arm talent'???

It is a combination of several things:

Release speed

Accuracy

Velocity

Arm strength

Ability to throw from off angles

Ability to throw on the run

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is a combination of several things:

Release speed

Accuracy

Velocity

Arm strength

Ability to throw from off angles

Ability to throw on the run

I look at arm strength as a couple things- does the defense have to defend the entire field horizontally, ie can the QB make throws outside the hash marks?  Secondly, can the QB accurately push the ball vertically down the field. Lastly, can he generate velocity with just his arm if he cant fully set his feet.

I have no idea if Zach is going to be a good QB or not but IF he is able to fix the small things about the position, he has the arm talent to use the entire field and really put a strain on a defense.  

The opposite of that is Mac Jones who not only cannot push the ball outside the has marks, but also has a slow release because he needs to put his entire body into his throws.  Yes Mac had a great year but he isnt Brady and the comparisons are only because they both were/are Pats.  Brady is one of VERY few QBs who had a lot of success with minimal physical talent and I would really worry about Mac's ability to be a top QB with his limited physical skill set.

• Upvote 1

Not to skew negative (haha!) but I think if Zach came out and threw a bunch of laser-guided dimes in practice, nobody would be saying “hey it’s just a couple of passes!” These are the same dudes who just coerced a week of content out of Zach finding the squat rack this offseason. Haha! Positive vibes only!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Horrible news.

We can shrug it off and say "it's just June" but really the onus is on Zach to prove he doesn't suck. Any indications that his major issues from last year persist during OTAs is a horrible sign.

If this is horrible news, then the fact that I misplaced my notebook this morning is a sure sign that I have dementia. The over-the-top reactions are priceless -- as in worthless.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to skew negative (haha!) but I think if Zach came out and threw a bunch of laser-guided dimes in practice, nobody would be saying “hey it’s just a couple of passes!” These are the same dudes who just coerced a week of content out of Zach finding the squat rack this offseason. Haha! Positive vibes only!

I remember a video of a nice spiral he threw to Moore being posted, maybe even a thread. Not a single "it's one pass" comment. Mostly circle jerky.

Yea it's just a handful of passes in June but the dude was pretty bad for most of last season and needs to step it up in year two. Hopefully just knocking off rust.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I remember a video of a nice spiral he threw to Moore being posted, maybe even a thread. Not a single "it's one pass" comment. Mostly circle jerky.

Yea it's just a handful of passes in June but the dude was pretty bad for most of last season and needs to step it up in year two. Hopefully just knocking off rust.

+1. When it’s a continuation of a trend, it’s notable. Similar to Becton not showing up. In a vacuum, it’s fine, but when it’s a long-term trend? 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have not read the comments in this thread. But this is a click bait title on the original article if one every existed. I just read that.

Zach started off 0 for 4 then had a great practice.

Was good in 7 on 7s.

Was good in 11 on 11s.

Per the author:  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jets-ota-observations-zach-wilsons-up-and-down-day/

Guess what, this guy files his report and someone else writes the headlines to get you all fired up. 

Yup.  This is a whole lot of nothing.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While what you wrote is 100% correct.  Accuracy was, IMO, far and away his biggest and most serious issue last year.  This thread is silly as it's based on 4 passes.

If it were serious he would have mentioned he was almost perfect in the 7 on 7 following.  

We'll know soon if he was able to fix it.

I think they low sample size is an issue in itself. Throw more passes in practice whether it be 7-7 or 11-11. Zach should be throwing so many passes in practice till he can’t throw anymore. He’s 23 years old for gods sake.Saleh drives me crazy with this. This is a young team that needs reps. The guy didn’t play the entire first and second team in a preseason game last year because it was raining. You play how you practice. It will never not be true.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Of course it’s a circle jerk over one nice pass! We’re jets fans that deal with bad over and over.

You celebrate the little things while you can. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I think they low sample size is an issue in itself. Throw more passes in practice whether it be 7-7 or 11-11. Saleh drives me crazy with this. This is a young team that needs reps. The guy didn’t play the entire first and second team in a preseason game last year because it was raining. You play how you practice. It will never not be true.

Lol. It’s June. You want Saleh running them into the ground? Jesus. 
Then we’ll complain about why does this team have so many injuries. 

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol. It’s June. You want Saleh running them into the ground? Jesus. 
Then we’ll complain about why does this team have so many injuries. 

Injures in shorts? Wilson needs reps. He needs to play in more real situations whether it 7-7 or 11-11. Throwing 7 passes and calling it a day is bizarre. Why even practice?

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lots of the same stuff being said because lots of the same types of flaws were present last year.  

And still excuses the fact Wilson had absolutely nothing around him while Sanchez was on a team that went to the AFCCG, led the league in rushing and defense.  

One has nothing in common with the other

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Injures in shorts? Wilson needs reps. He needs to play in more real situations whether it 7-7 or 11-11. Throwing 7 passes and calling it a day is bizarre. Why even practice?

No(although anything can happen) but it builds on your body as time goes on. Wilson will get the reps all throughout camp. Lefluer talked about walk throughs being just as important too. OTAs is pretty much mental reps and team building. 
Reading into 7-7s in June is just pointless. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Youre basing the idea that he doesnt get enough work in on what exactly?  

Could you please give us the comparisons with Wilsons work load vs other NFL QBs

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre basing the idea that he doesnt get enough work in on what exactly?  

Could you please give us the comparisons with Wilsons work load vs other NFL QBs

College reps, preseason reps last year. For someone as green as he was/is he needs to be throwing a lot more in practice. We can either judge him off of what were given or suggest the Jets let him throw the ball more than 7 times in practice. You think Curry practices shooting? The only way Wilson is going to get better is by creating as many real live situations as possible.

Just went back and looked...Wilson threw a total of 20 passes in preseason action last year. 20! Mac Jones threw 52 passes in preseason. I know Jets fans have this belief that nothing really matters and end results are random...but its there for you to see if you choose.