Jump to content

Report: Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

57.5% completions in that game. 19 for 33, 240 yards.

T0M. You quoted a similar type of statistical game of Mike White against the Buffalo Bills in a different thread and used those numbers in support of your opinion that he had a good game against the Bills defense but failed to mention the 4 picks he threw, Whites QB rating average yards per completion etc etc but you seem to mock the relatively same stats when Zach puts them up against Tampa the #4 rated defense.
I just don’t get the intense dislike of Wilson only 12 games into his professional career. 
If he doesn’t show marked improvement this year I will be right with you in pushing for a replacement but let’s give him some more time before running him out on a rail 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

College reps, preseason reps last year. For someone as green as he was/is he needs to be throwing a lot more in practice. We can either judge him off of what were given or suggest the Jets let him throw the ball more than 7 times in practice. You think Curry practices shooting? The only way Wilson is going to get better is by creating as many real live situations as possible.

 

Just went back and looked...Wilson threw a total of 20 passes in preseason action last year. 20! Mac Jones threw 52 passes in preseason. I know Jets fans have this belief that nothing really matters and end results are random...but its there for you to see if you choose.

How many and compare to others or just stop, you have no idea how hard he practices, what he does on his own, on the side to get ready.  None of us know.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How many and compare to others or just stop, you have no idea how hard he practices, what he does on his own, on the side to get ready.  None of us know.  

 

I just told you last preseason he was given 20 passes in game action. Mac Jones had 52. I think we all know how each of their first few months went. It's not random. You need to let the players throw in live action/practice. This is how you get better. Peyton, Brady, Rodgers obsess over reps. Its how you improve as a young player.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

College reps, preseason reps last year. For someone as green as he was/is he needs to be throwing a lot more in practice. We can either judge him off of what were given or suggest the Jets let him throw the ball more than 7 times in practice. You think Curry practices shooting? The only way Wilson is going to get better is by creating as many real live situations as possible.

 

Just went back and looked...Wilson threw a total of 20 passes in preseason action last year. 20! Mac Jones threw 52 passes in preseason. I know Jets fans have this belief that nothing really matters and end results are random...but its there for you to see if you choose.

And then we call out Saleh asking why is Wilson playing in the final preseason game into the third quarter. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

And then we call out Saleh asking why is Wilson playing in the final preseason game into the third quarter. 

Wilson should absolutely play into the third quarter in preseason, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

And then we call out Saleh asking why is Wilson playing in the final preseason game into the third quarter. 

They shouldnt be. Wilson needs reps. No one was worried about Mac Jones playing a ton in the preaseason.

Another question for Saleh was why Quinnen Williams was only on the field for 50% of the snaps last season. Aaron Donald for reference was in on roughly 90% and basically doubled Williams' snaps. 

Saleh is a smooth talker and I generally like what he says but guys have to play and practice more if this is going to work out.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I just told you last preseason he was given 20 passes in game action. Mac Jones had 52. I think we all know how each of their first few months went. It's not random. You need to let the players throw in live action/practice. This is how you get better. Peyton, Brady, Rodgers obsess over reps. Its how you improve as a young player.

It was 2 games, theyre different teams with different offenses working on different game situations.  What does that have to do with how many passes they throw in practice and your ridiculous comment that he should throw until he cant throw anymore?  

How many passes did Peyton, Brady, Rodgers throw?  Didnt Rodgers stay out of every preseason game?  How many live reps did Rodgers get in his first 4 seasons?  How many would ZW have gotten if he didnt start from day one as you've advocated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wilson should absolutely play into the third quarter in preseason, though.

Until he does

Or suffers an injury

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It was 2 games, theyre different teams with different offenses working on different game situations.  What does that have to do with how many passes they throw in practice and your ridiculous comment that he should throw until he cant throw anymore?  

How many passes did Peyton, Brady, Rodgers throw?  Didnt Rodgers stay out of every preseason game?  How many live reps did Rodgers get in his first 4 seasons?  How many would ZW have gotten if he didnt start from day one as you've advocated?

Dude Rodgers sat. They threw Wilson to the fire after letting him throw 20 passes all preseason. That makes zero sense and it showed in his play. The throw until he cant was a purposeful exaggeration. Reps are how you improve playing quarterback. This has been proven. The practice doesnt matter cope from Jets fans is ridiculous. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They shouldnt be. Wilson needs reps. No one was worried about Mac Jones playing a ton in the preaseason.

Another question for Saleh was why Quinnen Williams was only on the field for 50% of the snaps last season. Aaron Donald for reference was in on roughly 90% and basically doubled Williams' snaps. 

Saleh is a smooth talker and I generally like what he says but guys have to play and practice more if this is going to work out.

Practicing “more” isn’t this teams problem lol. They did plenty last year. It’s the talent and experience. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol. No. He should not. 

Whatever quarter he plays to doesnt matter. Pitch total matters. 20 passes in preseason coming out of BYU is malpractice. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Practicing “more” isn’t this teams problem lol. They did plenty last year. It’s the talent and experience. 

Why was Quinnen Williams only on the field for 50% of the snaps then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ll risk an ankle sprain if it means Zach Wilson gets better, though

Not disagreeing with the premise, just the response 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Injures in shorts? Wilson needs reps. He needs to play in more real situations whether it 7-7 or 11-11. Throwing 7 passes and calling it a day is bizarre. Why even practice?

He threw at least 16 passes as per the article and the author even states he picked it up as he went on.

We have no idea how many times he is throwing in practice.  All we have is a short snippet of one practice.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why was Quinnen Williams only on the field for 50% of the snaps then?

There’s no way Douglas pays Quinnen Williams if his head coach is only playing him for half the defensive snaps, right? You can find guys in the third round who can give you equal value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Snook said:

He threw at least 16 passes as per the article and the author even states he picked it up as he went on.

We have no idea how many times he is throwing in practice.  All we have is a short snippet of one practice.

 

 

8 passes in 11-11 in shorts. The Jets practice habits are frankly alarming. Hughes alluded to this as well. It sounds like it was more grab ass than focused football.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s no way Douglas pays Quinnen Williams if his head coach is only playing him for half the defensive snaps, right? You can find guys in the third round who can give you equal value.

I have no idea how to make any sense of this. Either Williams dogs it or Saleh thinks rest is more important than playing. Football traditionally doesnt work that way though, unless its RB by committee. Not the 4th pick in the draft who's your best pass rusher.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why was Quinnen Williams only on the field for 50% of the snaps then?

They said they wanna rotate them. I don’t love the idea but I don’t think the defense sucked last season because Quinnen didn’t play enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol. No. He should not. 

It’s my opinion that this coaching staff has gone overboard catering to Zach Wilson and it hasn’t served him well, and won’t. I think making him get some dirt on his pants this training camp might help him out. It’s Zach himself who should want to play those reps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

 

 

8 passes in 11-11 in shorts. The Jets practice habits are frankly alarming. Hughes alluded to this as well. It sounds like it was more grab ass than focused football.

He’s including the 7 on 7 soft-tossing afterward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

They said they wanna rotate them. I don’t love the idea but I don’t think the defense sucked last season because Quinnen didn’t play enough. 

Your best player needs to play. This is crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dude Rodgers sat. They threw Wilson to the fire after letting him throw 20 passes all preseason. That makes zero sense and it showed in his play. The throw until he cant was a purposeful exaggeration. Reps are how you improve playing quarterback. This has been proven. The practice doesnt matter cope from Jets fans is ridiculous. 

You Brough up Rodgers, I didnt

As I said, you have no idea how hard he practices, how many passes he throws in practices compared to others, youre just making and issue over something you have no idea about.  That was the original debate, not 3 preseason games.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I have no idea how to make any sense of this. Either Williams dogs it or Saleh thinks rest is more important than playing. Football traditionally doesnt work that way though, unless its RB by committee. Not the 4th pick in the draft who's your best pass rusher.

My thought is that Saleh has a lot of Herm Edwards to him where, instead of imposing discipline, he relies on players liking him a bit too much and, because he’s surrounded himself with his inexperienced buddies, there’s no one around to tell him that eventually he’s going to have to be mean to some of these guys or they’ll languish developmentally.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s my opinion that this coaching staff has gone overboard catering to Zach Wilson and it hasn’t served him well, and won’t. I think making him get some dirt on his pants this training camp might help him out. It’s Zach himself who should want to play those reps.

I mean we have a benchmark in New England with the best coach of all time overseeing it. It wasnt a coincidence Mac Jones looked more prepared to play. This really isnt arguable. Either Zach needs to be able to play and practice more or they need to find someone else. "It was only 7 passes!" Well maybe let him throw a bit more? My concern is they're not letting him throw because they dont trust him to throw, which is no way to run a pro football team. We did this sh*t with Sanchez.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s my opinion that this coaching staff has gone overboard catering to Zach Wilson and it hasn’t served him well, and won’t. I think making him get some dirt on his pants this training camp might help him out. It’s Zach himself who should want to play those reps.

Imo he gets plenty. It’s not reps that’s holding him back. They do extra after practice too that reporters don’t see. 
Zach would say something if he thinks he’s not getting the work he needs. He wants to get this down. 
After skipping balls to running backs in those couple games he stayed like 2 hours after practices throwing nothing but swing passes to the rbs. Just over and over. Nobody else around. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dude Rodgers sat. They threw Wilson to the fire after letting him throw 20 passes all preseason. That makes zero sense and it showed in his play. The throw until he cant was a purposeful exaggeration. Reps are how you improve playing quarterback. This has been proven. The practice doesnt matter cope from Jets fans is ridiculous. 

And again you have no idea how many passes he throws in practices and to his WRs.

Thinking you do and can see correlations to play is beyond ridiculous.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You Brough up Rodgers, I didnt

As I said, you have no idea how hard he practices, how many passes he throws in practices compared to others, youre just making and issue over something you have no idea about.  That was the original debate, not 3 preseason games.  

 

Im not questioning his work ethic. I'm questioning the coaches methods. I actually like Wilson a lot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My thought is that Saleh has a lot of Herm Edwards to him where, instead of imposing discipline, he relies on players liking him a bit too much and, because he’s surrounded himself with his inexperienced buddies, there’s no one around to tell him that eventually he’s going to have to be mean to some of these guys or they’ll languish developmentally.

My concern as well. Some guys need to be pushed. Young teams need to be pushed. It just doesnt magically come together.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...