New York sports finally on the way back up after dreadful malaise

https://nypost.com/2022/06/04/new-york-sports-finally-on-the-way-back-up-after-malaise/

“I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people’s accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man’s failures.” — Earl Warren

The former Chief Justice might have been confused if he’d been living in and around New York City the past few years. Oh, there’s been plenty of misery on the front page, sure, because there’s never a shortage of that. 

But to borrow and paraphrase another applicable quote out of Bartlett’s: It is morning in New York City. It is 60 degrees and clear with a high expected of 80, tempered by a cool breeze, backlit by a sun so bright it all but chuckles in the blindingly blue sky above. 

Or at least it feels that way, doesn’t it? 

Look around: The Rangers are the talk of the town, and the talk of the NHL — a bunch of kids and veterans who have begun to click at the precisely perfect moment. We kept hearing: Wait till they play someone. We kept hearing: Wait till they have to face better than a third-string goalie. We kept hearing: They’re a year or three away. 

And will you look at what we’ve gotten: a couple of comeback playoff series victories. Two games against the two-time defending champion Lightning in which they’ve looked like they’ve been skating 7-on-5, helping to turn Andrei Vasilevskiy into a no-checking adult league slice of Swiss cheese. And a new sense of, “Why NOT us? Why NOT now?” 

But there’s more, so much more. 

The Yankees win every day. They beat you on the mound now, with pitching that is shake-your-head dominant. Aaron Judge is on pace for 60 home runs and for $40 million per year. They pound you some days. They break your heart with 5 o’clock lightning some days. They look awfully … ’98ish, for lack of a better term. 

The Mets were winning every day until a couple of hiccups in Los Angeles the past few days, but they have already built themselves such a cushion in the NL East that they can survive it. They find different ways to win, different heroes every day, and already know they have lined up the best deadline-deal addition that anyone’s ever had: Max Scherzer and Jacob deGrom, sometime (hopefully) in July. 

But there’s more! 

Jets and Giants fans are taking a moratorium from hating their teams. As bad as professional football has been around here, as angry as the masses have been, there seems to be genuine hope fostered on either end of the city’s NFL divide. The Jets drafted well, are building things the right way, and sure look like they’ll be at the least competitive despite a brutal schedule that’ll greet them right away. 

Giants fans? Just the exile of Dave Gettleman alone would’ve improved their moods, but the fact is that it is impossible not to believe the team is in capable hands now with the Joe Schoen-Brian Daboll tandem. Things have been so bad for so long that the fan base not only willingly but willfully accepted the notion of a total rebuild, and all a fan asks is that the caretakers of that plan know what they’re doing. That seems to be the case. 

Heck, if you’ve been paying attention, things are even are even heating up nicely on Utopia Parkway, where Mike Anderson has reshaped his roster into one that — at least on paper — sure seems like it should occupy the upper realm of the Big East next winter, and things around here are always brighter and better when the Johnnies have a crack at the NCAAs. 

Is it perfect? 

Of course not. Ask a Knicks fan. Ask a Nets fan. Ask a Devils fan. Ask an Islanders fan. But, then, we’ve long been well past hoping for perfection. All we’ve wanted is the reassembly of Earl Warren’s perfect newspaper: skells and crooks on Page 1, good stuff on the back. Lately, we’ve started to get the good stuff back. Morning in New York City.

Vac’s Whacks

I don’t want to add to Knicks’ fans depression, but if the Celtics do what it seems like it’s their manifest destiny to do, that’ll make four entirely different iterations of Boston teams — Havlicek-Cowens (1974, ’76), Bird-McHale-Parish (1981, ’84, ’86), Garnett-Pierce-Allen (2008) and now Tatum-Brown-Smart — to hang banners since the last Knicks title. 

Speaking on behalf of some simmering Islanders fans I’ve talked to the past few days: Where was this Lightning team last year? 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Malaise. 

"a general feeling of discomfort, illness, or uneasiness whose exact cause is difficult to identify."

Yeah, we all have little idea why the Jets have sucked for the last 12 years.  Fantastic word choice by the writer!

• Haha 3

Ridiculous. Yankees have been consistently good for 27 years. Mets bounce around from good to bad all the time. Rangers similar. Devils easily 2nd best franchise in the area past 30 years, even if they're down currently. Islanders..eh. Jets and Giants are hot garbage until they're not. Off-season championships are for idiots. St Johns is my team and they always disappoint. NBA blows. The sentiment is all about the current Rangers team and nothing else has any substance. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

This hurts:

I don’t want to add to Knicks’ fans depression, but if the Celtics do what it seems like it’s their manifest destiny to do, that’ll make four entirely different iterations of Boston teams — Havlicek-Cowens (1974, ’76), Bird-McHale-Parish (1981, ’84, ’86), Garnett-Pierce-Allen (2008) and now Tatum-Brown-Smart — to hang banners since the last Knicks title. 

31 minutes ago, tfine said:

The Yankees are the most successful franchise in all of sports. Not just baseball. In. All. Off. Sports. That’s incredibly hard to do. We are lucky to have them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Only took about half a page for Yankee fans to start taking credit for championships won before WWII. That train is never late.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

In an era where cities are experiencing multiple championships in multiple sports, we are still dry as a bone.   (Boston, Tampa as examples.)

Tampa has never gotten to or won a WS

Who else has multiple championaship in the same year, LA? Hockey & BB?

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tampa has never gotten to or won a WS

Who else has multiple championaship in the same year, LA? Hockey & BB?

The Lightning have won back to back cups, so Tampa does have multiple titles in same year.  Also Rays have won AL pennant twice.  08 and 20.

Pittsburgh has done it twice with two different combos.  Once in 70s Steelers/Pirates once about 15 years ago with Steelers/Penguins.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Only took about half a page for Yankee fans to start taking credit for championships won before WWII. That train is never late.

So we should stop mentioning the fact that the greatest player of all time was a Yankee and we have 2 of the top 5 of all time?

Look it up. There is no list that doesn't have Ruth as greatest of all time.  

41 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So we should stop mentioning the fact that the greatest player of all time was a Yankee and we have 2 of the top 5 of all time?

MLB's No. 2 Worst Trade in History: Boston Trades the Bambino

1251461811_download(4)(8).jpeg.e0c3453fa7d50b9b221bc1ec877bdd02.jpeg

11 hours ago, tfine said:

Yankees  most successful franchise. Not just baseball. In. All. Off. Sports. 

images.jpg

Also, close, but no cigar.

https://polstats.com/#!/titles

Boston CelticsChampions in 17 of the 70 NBA Finals= 24.3%

Montreal CanadiensChampions in 24 of the 96 Stanley Cup Finals= 25.0%

New York YankeesChampions in 27 of the 112 World Series= 24.1%

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

There are many lists that do not have Ruth at the top all time. Too many to publish here.

Jim Thorpe. Bo Jackson. Michael Jordan. Muhammad Ali. 

All are on the top of various lists. 

Ruth was an excellent baseball player and the forerunner of what Ohtani is doing now. Ruth is an all timer. But please with the hyperbole.

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are many lists that do not have Ruth at the top all time. Too many to publish here.

Jim Thorpe. Bo Jackson. Michael Jordan. Muhammad Ali. 

All are on the top of various lists. 

Ruth was an excellent baseball player and the forerunner of what Ohtani is doing now. Ruth is an all timer. But please with the hyperbole.

Best baseball player.  Not athlete.  You Must be a Mets fan.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Best baseball player.  Not athlete.  You Must be a Mets fan.  

1. This is a thread about all sports.

2. I can argue that Ruth is not the best baseball player of all time, but it is all subjective. Nothing is a slam dunk in these conversations because of subjectivity and the great differences in eras. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tfine said:

The Yankees are the most successful franchise in all of sports. Not just baseball. In. All. Off. Sports. That’s incredibly hard to do. We are lucky to have them.

Not true at all look at Manchester United and all the trophies they have won internationally and domestically they are incredible and so is Real Madrid . The Yankees are the most successful franchise in Baseball only.

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Lightning have won back to back cups, so Tampa does have multiple titles in same year.  Also Rays have won AL pennant twice.  08 and 20.

Pittsburgh has done it twice with two different combos.  Once in 70s Steelers/Pirates once about 15 years ago with Steelers/Penguins.

No, back to back cups are great but don’t make the idea that the city of Tampa has multiple championships, as in multiple sports as Boston had a few years back, New York has had etc.  Winning the pennant is nice but isn’t a champinionship anymore that the Jets didn’t win back to back championships in 09 & 10.  

16 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

Not true at all look at Manchester United and all the trophies they have won internationally and domestically they are incredible and so is Real Madrid . The Yankees are the most successful franchise in Baseball only.

Manchester United international trophies?! You’re confusing them with Liverpool. 

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Tampa with football and hockey I was thinking.....  

I get your thinking, didn’t think it was the same year but guess even if not that’s the thinking.  We need a Mets/Yanks, Jets Rangers run.  We know Dolan will alway screw up the Knicks 

37 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. This is a thread about all sports.

2. I can argue that Ruth is not the best baseball player of all time, but it is all subjective. Nothing is a slam dunk in these conversations because of subjectivity and the great differences in eras. 

Can you find a list where he is not ranked number one?  I couldn't.  I hear you and agree, I was simply surprised I didn't see any list ...  where he isn't number 1.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get your thinking, didn’t think it was the same year but guess even if not that’s the thinking.  We need a Mets/Yanks, Jets Rangers run.  We know Dolan will alway screw up the Knicks 

I ran a half marathon in Tampa 2-3 years ago. Brother and mom live there now.  Was really impressed with all the Lightning flags on homes, stores etc. A southern "HOT as Hell" city embracing hockey.  Saw the Rangers there in 2018 I think...  wore a Rangers jersey to a private lounge where I bought "upgraded" seats.  I wasn't permitted to enter with Rangers jersey. They control the arena.  They walked me over to an equally nice and impressive area where away jerseys were OK> 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I ran a half marathon in Tampa 2-3 years ago. Brother and mom live there now.  Was really impressed with all the Lightning flags on homes, stores etc. A southern "HOT as Hell" city embracing hockey.  Saw the Rangers there in 2018 I think...  wore a Rangers jersey to a private lounge where I bought "upgraded" seats.  I wasn't permitted to enter with Rangers jersey. They control the arena.  They walked me over to an equally nice and impressive area where away jerseys were OK> 

That’s pretty cool.  Though I think no out of town jerseys allowed is weak, as trying to block out of town fans from buying seats.  It’s petty to me but I understand it, Carolina did just that

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s pretty cool.  Though I think no out of town jerseys allowed is weak, as trying to block out of town fans from buying seats.  It’s petty to me but I understand it, Carolina did just that

It's extremely petty. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Manchester United international trophies?! You’re confusing them with Liverpool. 

Maybe I 'am but Manchester United still have more trophies and titles then the Yankees. But in all fairness they have been around since 1878