New York sports finally on the way back up after dreadful malaise

Bronx

On 6/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Biggs said:

Not to pour cold water on this thread but...   We have 2 NBA teams, 3 NHL teams, 2 MLB teams and 2 NFL football teams.   It's almost impossible to not be hoisting banners in this city on a yearly basis in at least one sport if we had any competent ownership.  

Boston with a 25 letter alphabet and 1 team in all 4 sports is beating our brains in on a comparative basis.   As a NYer I have a basic hatred for the Golden State/SF/Oakland Warriors and yet the prospect of another banner being lifted over the fat beer swilling leprechaun is bringing up childhood trauma that apparently I haven't fully suppressed.   I find myself watching Celtic games with a loaded shot gun on my lap and a bottle of cheap whisky in hand.  

As invested as I'am in the Rangers hoisting another cup, The Mets and Yankees meeting in another subway series and the Jets winning a SB against Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Bucks after vanquishing the NE Patriots in the AFC Championship game in Foxboro, the prospect of another Celtic Championship has me contemplating ending it all.  

I understand what you're trying to say but your math is horrifically wrong

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I understand of course but don't discount it totally....    20 years in the league and very few playoff appearances. He isn't Fitzmagic but a lot of analysts use WS as a partial barometer.

When Greg Norman was struggling , having not won a major, he was #1 in the world for over a year and was asked about his lack of a major. He said.. "Lots of great golfers never win a major".

Reporter responded.. "Name One".  Of course he couldn't.

This same stat will dog Lundquist, also great.

That’s fair, but golf is an individual sport. Hank was the best goalie in the league for years but at any given point there are 11 other people on the ice influencing the game. Baseball; specifically a CF is even less of an individual impact on each game of their careers.

If we’re talking Golf, Tennis, NBA, and to a large extent even QBs in the NFL - championships factor much heavier in the legacy discussions. Baseball, hockey - sure, but less impactful by multiple stndrd devs.

4 hours ago, BeaconJet said:

Doc's '85 season was one of the most dominant single season performances of all time, maybe only topped by Pedro's 2000 season, and maybe a couple others - Maddux in '95. Bob Gibson probably is up there in '68

Seaver never had a single season like Doc's 1985 (although his '71 season was pretty dominant) but judged over the entirety of their Mets careers, Tom has the edge in wins, strikeouts, innings pitched, shutouts, complete games... pretty much everything but winning pct where Doc has the edge .649 to .615.  Both won rookie of the year, Seaver won 16 games his rookie season, Doc won 17. Seaver had 3 Cy Young awards to Docs 1.  Sadly, both threw no-no's for teams other than the Mets.

I just have to judge an entire career.   Doc was almost unhittable but an athlete is judged on more than 3 years.  Seaver for me every day.

Like fans judging Pennington on the seasons' when he was healthy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I just have to judge an entire career.   Doc was almost unhittable but an athlete is judged on more than 3 years.  Seaver for me every day.

Like fans judging Pennington on the seasons' when he was healthy.  

As a rabid Yankee fan back then (much less today), I had complete respect for Seaver and Koosman.   Man, what an unhittable duo.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That’s fair, but golf is an individual sport. Hank was the best goalie in the league for years but at any given point there are 11 other people on the ice influencing the game. Baseball; specifically a CF is even less of an individual impact on each game of their careers.

If we’re talking Golf, Tennis, NBA, and to a large extent even QBs in the NFL - championships factor much heavier in the legacy discussions. Baseball, hockey - sure, but less impactful by multiple stndrd devs.

I take issue with two statements in your post. First, Lundquist was not the best goalie in the NHL for years. He  won 1 Vezina as the best goalie in the NHL for a season in his entire career.  Many goalies in the same era won multiple Vezina trophies and had more team success.

Second, an NHL goalie influences a game more than and is less dependent on the play of his teammates than an NFL QB.  NHL goalies can win games, series, and Cups when the team in front of them has a bad night.  QBs are dependent on so many things - OL, WR, RB, Defense.