This May Not Go Over Well Here But....

It very well may be possible that the 2022-2023 Jets are a better team, but not be much better record wise than last year.  Looking at the schedule, I can definitely see our team producing a much more watchable/talented product on the field, but falling out of the playoffs within the 7-8 win range.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

7 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

It very well may be possible that the 2022-2023 Jets are a better team, but not be much better record wise than last year.  Looking at the schedule, I can definitely see our team producing a much more watchable/talented product on the field, but falling out of the playoffs within the 7-8 win range.

That’s probably about what you should expect. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

This team can not go backwards. With the talent. ( some on paper) but this year to me is the quintessential stepping stone year for the great upcoming seasons that lie ahead. If it’s not …….. than I don’t Fukin know. Back to vicious cycle

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Bengals won 4 games in 2020 and then took a big step in 2021.  I don't expect the Jets to win more than 6-8 games this season, but that doesn't mean the team won't be greatly improved - something the "mandate" crowd just doesn't understand.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think your win range is pretty close to what most people are expecting here.

Glad to hear, I was seeing after the draft a decent number of posters  in the forums mentioning playoffs.  Decided to take a closer look and I don't foresee a playoff berth.  I would be pleasantly surprised, but I see 7-8 wins max with us still lacking experience at key positions.

The Bengals won 4 games in 2000 and then took a big step in 2001.  I don't expect the Jets to win more than 6-8 games this season, but that doesn't mean the team won't be greatly improved - something the "mandate" crowd just doesn't understand.

I agree. I’m going with 7-9 games. And vastly improved team from top to bottom. Honestly if we do stay relative healthy. And balls bounce our way. I will not be shocked if the JETS do contend late in season for a wild card. Again that to me is best possible scenario for this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Bengals won 4 games in 2000 and then took a big step in 2001.  I don't expect the Jets to win more than 6-8 games this season, but that doesn't mean the team won't be greatly improved - something the "mandate" crowd just doesn't understand.

You're off by a couple of decades ?

Aside from that, the Bengals have Joe Burrow who looked like a really good QB his rookie year before getting hurt, then they added a beast WR in Chase.

The Jets don't match up that way.

• Haha 3

We're not even in preseason yet, and already we have several preemptive attempts to excuse being a losing team.

The rest of the NFL are not all unbeatable juggernauts.

If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.

There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.

Unless you just have no actual belief or faith at all in Saleh, Zach or this roster.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, DoubleDecker said:

How is 7-8 wins the same as 4?. I assume you are not a mathematician. Not much better would be like 5 not double.

• Upvote 2

Last year, it was obvious to anyone paying attention that it was going to be a rough year, and the injuries just made it that much worse. This year’s team is harder to get a handle on. If everything falls into place, they could prove David Carr right. But when does everything ever fall into place for the Jets? 

At least the coaches aren’t rookies this year, and the systems are in place. There are veterans (even if they’re just in their second seasons, themselves) who can help the rookies and free agents get up to speed, something that didn’t exist last year. All of the primary talent is so young, with another big group of rookies expected to be major contributors, making it difficult to predict. Offensively, there’s a lot riding on GWilson and Breece. On defense, it’s almost all riding on Sauce and JJ.

I’m expecting a bumpy ride but an improved product overall. I’m not afraid of the big, bad schedule, and I’m looking forward to seeing these coaches’ game plans. I believe that they really want to get over .500 this year, but are trying to tamp down any expectations - which, imho, is smart. The main objective is still incubating a FQB, but I expect much more urgency when it comes to actually winning games this year, too. I’ll be good with 7-9-1 or better. Really just want to see them get off the double digit loss snide, and win a couple/few divisional games. And maybe drop a 50-burger on Belichick’s face, that would be nice. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDecker said:

I am appalled that there is a reasonable person on this board.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're not even in preseason yet, and already we have several preemptive attempts to excuse being a losing team.

If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.

There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.

Unless you just have no actual belief or faith at all in Saleh, Zach or this roster.

There's an obvious difference between an excuse and an expectation. The Jets are a very young team; that makes their progress unpredictable.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

How is 7-8 wins the same as 4?. I assume you are not a mathematician. Not much better would be like 5 not double.

To play devil's advocate if the Jets won 1 game last year and doubled it, they'd have 2 wins.  Double does not always equal "that much better" and I never claimed to be a mathematician, so great assumption.  Regardless, "not much better" is subjective and I elaborated in the post on how I see that.  If it's significantly better to you, that's cool, we're rooting for the same team!?

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree with this. I think talks about how hard our schedule is just are dumb. We have no idea what teams will be like when we play them. Every year there are 5, 6 or more NEW teams in the playoffs which means that like 20% of the good teams fall off and 20% of the bad teams get better. 

If we do not include the draft at all, we STILL massively improved on both sides of the ball. Our talent level is significantly better than last year and if our draft is as good as we think not only is our entire talent base much much stronger but we have more depth as well.

It is folly to assume we are either better or worse than any team on our schedule. Sure some are more likely to be better than not but as an example: And injuries basically decided everything anyway.

Take Buffalo: Everyone assumes they will be like unstoppable, but their schedule is as hard or harder and they were 11-6 in the regular season. That is strong but not that dominant. In the playoffs Allen put his body on the line and they played differently than regular season. Not only can Allen not play that way in the regular season, his style of play ALWAYS diminishes. Even big sturdy players like Allen cannot continue to play the way he has

Baltimore: They have next to nothing on offense and Lamar was slowing down even before the injury. I mean Balt hasnt even signed him so you know they are  

On a similar note, Wilson was slowing down before going to Denver. He is effective because of his extending plays and that capability is rapidly declining.

NOT saying that any of these teams will fall back but they might.

Only thing I know is that

1. Zach is on year 2 and in the same system

2. Our TEs are massively improved

3. Our WR group is upgraded

4. Our OL is upgraded on the interior and should be good at T (though we desperately need to sign someone)

5. Our RB room is upgrade

6. We have a very upgraded CB and safety group

7. Our EDGE rush should be much improved

8. Our linebackers are suspect and our run defense is a huge ????

Overall though we should be much improved. But NO ONE knows how much and trying to quantify that through a projected record is just complete folly. Plus there are probably 4 or 5 players at least that are not even on our roster but will be

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

There's an obvious difference between an excuse and an expectation. The Jets are a very young team; that makes their progress unpredictable.

And whining about losing in June because of some insurmountable schedule full of juggernauts, that's excuse making.

Why is it the biggest homers seem to have both the lowest expectations and least amount of faith their studs will actually perform like studs?

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And whining about losing in June because of some insurmountable schedule full of juggernauts, that's excuse making.

Why is it the biggest homers seem to have both the lowest expectations and least amount of faith their studs will actually perform like studs?

What’s your expectation? I see you criticizing the dreaded homers, but I’m not seeing any predictions from you. Hard to tell if the pessimists have higher expectations or not so far. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

3. Our WR group is upgraded

4. Our OL is upgraded on the interior and should be good at T (though we desperately need to sign someone)

Not sure if the WR room is upgraded or not yet. I certainly hope so, but they lost Crowder and Cole and gained a rookie. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty psyched about GW, but it remains to be seen if he’s an upgrade this season. 

Becton >>> Moses. The starting OL should be better than last year’s. They do need a starting caliber backup at RT, though. 

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

8. Our linebackers are suspect and our run defense is a huge ????

Easily the biggest question mark. These guys don’t like to do a lot of scheming, but I suspect that the significant upgrade at CB will allow them to have one safety in the box on most downs. 

Otherwise I agree. The parts are generally improved across the board. It’s a matter of getting them all on the same page ASAP. 

2 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

Its not the schedule, its that they're an inexperienced team trying to get better 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Aside from that, the Bengals have Joe Burrow who looked like a really good QB his rookie year before getting hurt, then they added a beast WR in Chase.

Fixed the year typo.    I'm not saying the Jets will replicate the Bengals SB run in 2022. I'm saying that improvement is not always linear or evident.  The Jets could win 6 or 7 games in 2022 and be well on their way to a great 2023 season or they could win 9-10 games and crap the bed in 2023.  I just despise the inane comments about how many games the Jets need to win in 2022 "or else."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How did Josh Allen look in his rookie season?  You haven't even seen Garrett Wilson play in the NFL yet.  The Jets didn't have any tight ends last season.  Zach was usually running for his life.

This coming season:  SECOND year QB, THREE viable TE's, TWO very good RB's, THREE dangerous WR's.  A capable OL.  Yeah, I don't see it either.

• Upvote 1