This May Not Go Over Well Here But....

We're not even in preseason yet, and already we have several preemptive attempts to excuse being a losing team.
 The rest of the NFL are not all unbeatable juggernauts.
If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.
There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.
Unless you just have no actual belief or faith at all in Saleh, Zach or this roster.
Funny I was going to say if we're not better ESPECIALLY ON D.
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, freestater said:

We're not allowed to expect wins. 

Thats apparently not the way to judge how good a GM or HC is. 

You're allowed to expect whatever you want, but it's usually customary to have a rationale for your expectation. This team has essentially been rebuilt in the last two years and faces a tough schedule. Legitimate improvement in all facits is a fair expectation, which should show in both increased wins and competitiveness. A fair expectation would be around 7 wins, given the above. If they're over, great. They exceeded reasonable expectation. If they're under, and it's not an injury epidemic, then coaching and GM have to be accountable. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

We're not even in preseason yet, and already we have several preemptive attempts to excuse being a losing team.

If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.

There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.

Unless you just have no actual belief or faith at all in Saleh, Zach or this roster.

True!  So what's your expectations?  Undefeated?  I mean, why should anyone make excuses for a loss in June, amirite?  

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Me?  The guy who didn't want to draft Zach and doesn't really have any faith that he is or will be a Franchise QB?

I hear over and over he's a special, elite Franchise QB that can do things no one else can, so I expect him to produce like a typical Franchise QB.

In truth, I'd be happily surprised if he plays all 17 games, clears 3,500 passing yards, or 60% Comp Rate, or anything close to a 2:1 TD:INT ratio, much less the 3:1 you really want to see from a Franchise QB. 

14 games played, 3,100 yards, 58%, 19 TD:13 INT is about my level of Zach expectations.

And no, I don't think it'll be because "they're trying to focus on the rush more".

They're not "dreaded" at all.  They're just misguided in my view.

IMO they just are unable to split objective analysis from their "fanaticism", and it leads to alot of cognitive dissonance and mutually exclusive postings in their opinions.

I always give my predictions, usually in the various annual "Predict our Record" threads.

See, I haven't really given it a ton of thought as yet.....because I'm not trying to make excuses in June for anyone.  

If you want to start a "Predict their Record" thread, and list the schedule, I'll be happy to give it some thought.  

Oh so sexy!  You're so proactive!!!  You need a whole new thread to predict the season and give your win total expectations.  Dang dude, you really know how to keep the people guessing on the edge of their seat!  

Cant wait for someone to start that thread at some point and see all the excuses you make for losing games!

18 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

This team can not go backwards. With the talent. ( some on paper) but this year to me is the quintessential stepping stone year for the great upcoming seasons that lie ahead. If it’s not …….. than I don’t Fukin know. Back to vicious cycle

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If that's the case, then I think it might be on the coaches. I believe that offensively we've got a good if not eventually great OC. The QB will be under the microscope, but the defense as well will be. We've upgraded a few spots, but maybe not all the correct spots to be a very good defense. I believe we are a DT / LB and possibly Safety away from being that defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

And no, I don't think it'll be because "they're trying to focus on the rush more".

I wanted to address this before I get it thrown in my face too much, lol. When I say they intend to run the ball more, I mean that as part of a larger plan to essentially wrap a cocoon around Zach. You can say that teams who have franchise QBs don’t need to do that sort of thing, and you’d be right to say it, but they have a #2 pick that they’re rather heavily invested in, and they’re doing all they can to get the most out of that investment. 

I’ve used Russell Wilson as a comp, as that’s what I think they’re going for. A team whose offense leans mostly on the rushing attack, while finding opportunities in the passing game via play action. I think they made a huge mistake by ignoring the TE position in his rookie year and now, if anything, they’ve overcompensated. All three of the TE additions are solid blockers, but they also provide big, short to medium range targets to throw to. IMO, it’s all about getting Zach comfortable and confident and the best way to do that is to take all of the pressure that they possibly can off of him. The one thing they aggressively tried to do was find a true, proven, veteran #1 type WR, but no one was willing to come here unless JD was willing to dramatically overpay. I really like the fact that he refuses to pay too high of a suck tax, but that’s a key missing piece. The WR group has undeniable talent, but it’s mostly unproven. It’s probably Elijah Moore that I have the most faith in for this season, but I’m excited to see how the WR rotation pans out. 

But yeah, very heavy on Breece and MC1. They didn’t trade up in the second to take the draft’s #1 RB for nothing. It’s going to be the old fashioned philosophy of running to set up the pass, but with a lot of flavor because that’s what LaFluer does. Don’t be surprised to see Moore, Berrios, and Conklin all getting carries, too. I believe the goal is a top five type rushing attack, with even Zach being instructed to tuck and run more decisively. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

3. Finally, the rest of our schedule is that of a 4th place team. That makes it easier than what the Bills, Dolphins and Patriots face. Let’s take advantage of that.

I’m not crying about the schedule like some are around here, but one of the problems with that last place position is that the Jets face Russell Wilson in Denver, and the rest of the division doesn’t. The Seahawks game could be a 17th game gift, but it’s in Seattle and they could very easily have the untapped potential of Baker Mayfield under center. 

But the overall premise, yes, the Jets just simple have to take care of their own business. I love that they play four games before facing an AFCe opponent, because the first month of the season will probably be necessary to get the team up to speed (as it often is around the league). I’d rather stumble against the AFCn than our own division. Seems like we always open with a division game, this is a nice change of pace. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

True!  So what's your expectations?  Undefeated?

hy·per·bo·le
[hīˈpərbəlē]
NOUN
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally:

I mean, why should anyone make excuses for a loss in June, amirite?  

No.  You're not right.

But you knew that already.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I wanted to address this before I get it thrown in my face too much, lol.

Sorry you feel that's what I'm doing.  It's a claim you made, I don't see an issue disagreeing with it when the topic arises.

1 hour ago, slats said:

When I say they intend to run the ball more, I mean that as part of a larger plan to essentially wrap a cocoon around Zach.

That's definitely different that what you said before, so I appreciate the clarity.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

You can say that teams who have franchise QBs don’t need to do that sort of thing, and you’d be right to say it, but they have a #2 pick that they’re rather heavily invested in, and they’re doing all they can to get the most out of that investment.

You're right.  You don't have to do it for a real Franchise QB.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’ve used Russell Wilson as a comp, as that’s what I think they’re going for. A team whose offense leans mostly on the rushing attack, while finding opportunities in the passing game via play action.

Then I might offer that we drafted exactly the wrong kind of QB for such a system.  What you're describing here is a Game Manager.  Zach has, at the pro level, shown nothing to indicate he is an ultra-high-comp. % low-INT type game manager as yet. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think they made a huge mistake by ignoring the TE position in his rookie year and now, if anything, they’ve overcompensated.

Better than ignoring it. 

But they didn't ignore, the GM simply did a poor job of talent evaluation, specifically of Griffin, who if we recall, Douglas resigned.

1 hour ago, slats said:

All three of the TE additions are solid blockers, but they also provide big, short to medium range targets to throw to. IMO, it’s all about getting Zach comfortable and confident and the best way to do that is to take all of the pressure that they possibly can off of him. The one thing they aggressively tried to do was find a true, proven, veteran #1 type WR, but no one was willing to come here unless JD was willing to dramatically overpay. I really like the fact that he refuses to pay too high of a suck tax, but that’s a key missing piece. The WR group has undeniable talent, but it’s mostly unproven. It’s probably Elijah Moore that I have the most faith in for this season, but I’m excited to see how the WR rotation pans out.

I find the lack of confidence in this WR group to be very odd.  We have the most talented group perhaps in a decade with Wilson/Moore/Davis/Berrios/Mims, and yet everyone suddenly has lost the hype for these guys, almost always in the context of discussion about Zach not excelling.

It's odd to me.  This is unquestionably a great group with a depth of talent we haven't had in ages (more, if factoring in the three TE's and two RB's).  The most talented offense since the Parcells Era.  This group is not and will not be Zach's excuse for not performing/producing IMO.

1 hour ago, slats said:

But yeah, very heavy on Breece and MC1. They didn’t trade up in the second to take the draft’s #1 RB for nothing. It’s going to be the old fashioned philosophy of running to set up the pass, but with a lot of flavor because that’s what LaFluer does. Don’t be surprised to see Moore, Berrios, and Conklin all getting carries, too. I believe the goal is a top five type rushing attack, with even Zach being instructed to tuck and run more decisively. 

I'm 100% behind having a great running game.

But I'll make the same argument now I made when you said this the first time:  a great running game helps a QB produce, it does not reduce his production.  If our running game is effective, Zach should produce more, not less.

Oh so sexy!  You're so proactive!!!  You need a whole new thread to predict the season and give your win total expectations.  Dang dude, you really know how to keep the people guessing on the edge of their seat!  

Cant wait for someone to start that thread at some point and see all the excuses you make for losing games!

I bet you really thought this was a zinger of a post, eh?  

22 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

It very well may be possible that the 2022-2023 Jets are a better team, but not be much better record wise than last year.  Looking at the schedule, I can definitely see our team producing a much more watchable/talented product on the field, but falling out of the playoffs within the 7-8 win range.

I don't think this is controversial at all.  I think this is what the majority of Jet fans think.  

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then I might offer that we drafted exactly the wrong kind of QB for such a system.  What you're describing here is a Game Manager.  Zach has, at the pro level, shown nothing to indicate he is an ultra-high-comp. % low-INT type game manager as yet. 

I don’t know, you quoted me using Russell Wilson as an example. Do you think of Russell Wilson as a game manager? He didn’t break 3500 yards or 65% completions until his fourth year in the league. They put him in a position where he wasn’t the only means of success, and he grew into the role. Those three teams rushed for 2500, 2100, and 2700 yards, went to two Super Bowls and won one of them. If that’s a game manager, I’ll take it, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a game manager. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I find the lack of confidence in this WR group to be very odd.  We have the most talented group perhaps in a decade with Wilson/Moore/Davis/Berrios/Mims, and yet everyone suddenly has lost the hype for these guys, almost always in the context of discussion about Zach not excelling.

It’s the lack of experience, that’s all. WRs don’t always hit the ground running and you could tell that JD & Saleh understood this fact by the way they aggressively went after a true, proven #1 type WR via trade. I’m hoping either Moore or GWilson can be that guy, but neither is the prototype. Trust me, it’s not so much a lack of confidence as a wait and see approach, at least from me. 

• Upvote 1

If the Jets with all their new pieces are competitive(which will become quite apparent to the eye after watching the dreck the past decade)and can get to league average in both offensive and defensive rankings that will translate in wins. That said There is a hell of alot of pressure on Saleh and his staff (specifically Urlach that D was just God awful) to coach em up as to me JD has assembled a young talented roster that just needs a few more players (specifically linebackers) to be perennial contenders. Oh and also Zach of course gotta step it up.
I for one am quite optimistic that they will get it done as I am not getting any younger and want to see at least one more championship before I gack ?

26 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t know, you quoted me using Russell Wilson as an example.

I believe I used Tannehill as my example.  I don't recall if you used Wilson as yours.

Do you think of Russell Wilson as a game manager?  He didn’t break 3500 yards or 65% completions until his fourth year in the league.  They put him in a position where he wasn’t the only means of success, and he grew into the role.

I don't equate Zach Wilson with Russel Wilson.

R. Wilson came into this league at 64% Comp. Rate, and has a career 65% with no season below 61.3% (a rare exception, most are meaningfully higher).

R.Wilson has also been reliable, starting all 16 games for all of his first 9 seasons.  i.e. Zach missed more time as a rookie than R.Wilson missed in a decade of play.

And R.Wilson has consistently maintained a minimum of >2:1 TD:INT ratio, with as high as a 6:1 ratio in 2019.

Now I would also say that the Seahawks have been a strong/deep team for the majority of his tenure there, so yes, they put him in a position to win.  But he is a legit Franchise QB and produced legit Franchise QB numbers from the start, even if his passing yards was a bit low the first three years.

For comparison, rookie Zach was a 55.6% to rookie R. Wilsons rookie 64%. 

13 starts (out of 17) to R.Wilsons 16 of 16.

2,300 yards to R.Wilsons 3,100 yards.

And worst of all, 9:11 ratio to R.Wilsons 26:10.

That's not "growing into the role".  R.Wilson was legit day 1 and produced legit metrics day 1. 

Of note:  He also won 11 games, 13 games and 12 games his first three years.

If Zach can produce R.Wilson as-a-rookie level of performance this year (17 starts, 64%, 3,100 yards, 26:10) I'll be very happy, it'll be a huge step up for him.

It’s the lack of experience, that’s all. WRs don’t always hit the ground running and you could tell that JD & Saleh understood this fact by the way they aggressively went after a true, proven #1 type WR via trade. I’m hoping either Moore or GWilson can be that guy, but neither is the prototype. Trust me, it’s not so much a lack of confidence as a wait and see approach, at least from me. 

Fair enough, I just find the varying levels of hype about guys interesting.  Mims was very hyped up, but that was before Zach, and Zach's rookie campaign seemingly dulled the optimism for big passing game numbers here.

I'd also disagree, both Wilson and Moore have #1 equivalents elsewhere in the NFL.  Wilson, for example, has comp'd to McLaurin in DC, a legit #1 without question (on a bad team, with limited help at WR around him, sadly for him).

I'm supposed to be the resident cynic, but I see no reason, with this Offense system, and these players, why Zach shouldn't be at the mid-60%, 3,500, 2:1 type level of production this year....unless he hasn't taken a personal step up in the quality of his own play.  His surrounding talent isn't the limitation now.

I expect (hope)  to see better chemistry and timing with Wilson,  Moore, Davis, And Carter. I am not counting on Mims, happy to see he is healthy and in shape, but it doesn’t necessarily translate to production on the field, hopefully it does.

I think it’s going to take some time before he gets the timing down with the TE’s, GW and  the offense as a whole, hopefully the OL can settle in quickly. They have done quit a bit to take the pressure off Wilson, upgraded OL, TE, and RB’s, which is exactly what he needs until things slow down for him and he can see the field better. Which will hopefully translate to better drop backs and accuracy.

Whether you like Wilson or not he dealt with some  adversity last year starting with Knapp’s untimely passing and injuries to key players. I am just looking for continued progress not steady regression. I want to see Wilson show some leadership and start to learn take command of the offense and gain the respect of his teammates. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

hy·per·bo·le
[hīˈpərbəlē]
NOUN
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally:

No.  You're not right.

But you knew that already.

So then you're full of sh*t and chastised posters predicting losses just to be a dick?  Cool! 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I bet you really thought this was a zinger of a post, eh?  

Zinger?  No.  Trying to get you to see how ridiculous you are sometimes?  Yes.  

19 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So then you're full of sh*t and chastised posters predicting losses just to be a dick?  Cool! 

Zinger?  No.  Trying to get you to see how ridiculous you are sometimes?  Yes.  

Sorry you feel that way.  

Honestly, if you don't see the difference between what I've said and your "undefeated or you're making excuses too" hyperbolic foolishness, I can't help you, nor would I want to waste the time trying.

If you think I'm ridiculous, I guess I'll just have to live with that.  

23 hours ago, Biggs said:

17 game season.   7 or over good season.   Under 7 with a relatively healthy team would be concerning 6 or below would be terrible.  

So 7 wins would be a good season but 6 or less would be terrible?

And what if we go 6-0-11?

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, Warfish said:

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry you feel that way.  

Honestly, if you don't see the difference between what I've said and your "undefeated or you're making excuses too" hyperbolic foolishness, I can't help you, nor would I want to waste the time trying.

If you think I'm ridiculous, I guess I'll just have to live with that.  

The difference is, I was saying it mocking you to prove a point. 

Read your post. My god man, we jokingly sh*t on @slats for his smugness but this is some high and mighty, chest thumping, real fan nonsense if I've ever seen it. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!! lol   Yet, you know damn well, you're going to predict losses this season and you will have reasons for that, so your reasons arent excuses?  That's the most hypocritical sh*t I've ever heard and yeah, I'm going to call it out.

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The difference is, I was saying it mocking you to prove a point. 

Whatever you say.

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Read your post. My god man, we jokingly sh*t on @slats for his smugness but this is some high and mighty, chest thumping, real fan nonsense if I've ever seen it. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!! lol   Yet, you know damn well, you're going to predict losses this season and you will have reasons for that, so your reasons arent excuses?  That's the most hypocritical sh*t I've ever heard and yeah, I'm going to call it out.

Yes, I will definitely predict losses this year. I will not predict an undefeated season.

I am not predicting losses, lots of losses, a majority of losses, now, in June, as a way of setting artificially low expectations. 

Nor am I making posts about why we still suck despite our massive talent improvement and amazing draft class, nor am I complaining that the season schedule is unsurmountable and full of undefeatable teams, or similar.

Again, being in disagreement with people trying to set very low, artificially low IMO, expectations in June is not the same as failing to meet your "you must predict undefeated or hypocrite" nonsense.

I stand by all of this:

• The rest of the NFL are not all unbeatable juggernauts.
  • If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.
  • There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.

Note, predicting and excusing are not the same word.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Whatever you say.

Yes, I will definitely predict losses this year. I will not predict an undefeated season.

I am not predicting losses, lots of losses, a majority of losses, now, in June, as a way of setting artificially low expectations. 

Nor am I making posts about why we still suck despite our massive talent improvement and amazing draft class, nor am I complaining that the season schedule is unsurmountable and full of undefeatable teams, or similar.

Again, being in disagreement with people trying to set very low, artificially low IMO, expectations in June is not the same as failing to meet your "you must predict undefeated or hypocrite" nonsense.

I stand by all of this:

• The rest of the NFL are not all unbeatable juggernauts.
  • If we're alot better, especially at QB, which we should be on paper in our 2nd year in these systems, there is no reason we cannot win alot more games.
  • There is absolutely no reason to start preemptively excusing losing now, in June.

Note, predicting and excusing are not the same word.

How do you not see how this is all hypocritical nonsense?  lol  You're going to predict loses at some point, whatever that arbitrary date is when said behavior is acceptable and on that day and only that day are you allowed to set expectations?  lol  What?

The hypocritical part is that on that day, you will have what you will call reasons and not excuses, I'm sure, for the losses you predict and expectations you set.  So, it's quite logical to assume that when you explain your rationale behind the losses you predict, that they might include what many have referred to in this thread ie; young team w/ lots of rookies and 2nd year players, a wild card at QB, lots of FA pieces and an extremely competitive conference, just to name a few.  And that's all people are doing, and you're calling it excuses and preemptively setting low expectations, when you know damn well, you're going to predict more losses than wins.

19 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I know most of you are too scarred to realize the difference this team will be. It's ok... You will see, this team is going to be a contender... And will win the AFCE. 

You don't have to believe... Time will prove me right. And when it starts happening all the sofa QBs will come out of the woodwork saying how they knew this would happen and how the sports talk radio personalities were wrong... 

Much of you are too beat up over the years waiting for the reason on why this team won't compete so you won't be disappointed... They Are already starting to talk about the talent of afc is too great... Please these are lame excuses... This is a Rex type surprise year... Before you know it they will be in the championship. 

This is the year... If they don't make it far into the playoffs it's a failure... Period... None of this Zach needs time... No...sanchez got them there and he was worse... 

They either are good enough to win or get a new qb. 

We're winning the AFCE this year?  Is Buffalo moving to another division or something?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

How do you not see how this is all hypocritical nonsense?  lol  You're going to predict loses at some point, whatever that arbitrary date is when said behavior is acceptable and on that day and only that day are you allowed to set expectations?  lol  What?

Some fans just love to set artificially low expectations, long before we've even seen this year's team take a snap, so they can turn around and say "look, we said they'd be 0-16, and they won 4, so it's a huge success!".   

Doing that in June is laughable IMO.  But if you wish to encourage it, by all means, do so.  

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The hypocritical part is that on that day, you will have what you will call reasons and not excuses, I'm sure, for the losses you predict and expectations you set.  So, it's quite logical to assume that when you explain your rationale behind the losses you predict, that they might include what many have referred to in this thread ie; young team w/ lots of rookies and 2nd year players, a wild card at QB, lots of FA pieces and an extremely competitive conference, just to name a few.  And that's all people are doing, and you're calling it excuses and preemptively setting low expectations, when you know damn well, you're going to predict more losses than wins.

If you wish to think I'm a hypocrite, be my guest.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Some fans just love to set artificially low expectations, long before we've even seen this year's team take a snap, so they can turn around and say "look, we said they'd be 0-16, and they won 4, so it's a huge success!".   

Doing that in June is laughable IMO.  But if you wish to encourage it, by all means, do so.  

If you wish to think I'm a hypocrite, be my guest.  

What is going to change between now and this arbitrary date you have in your mind where it's acceptable to set expectations? 

I believe your take is hypocritical, dont be so sensitive about it.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We're winning the AFCE this year?  Is Buffalo moving to another division or something?

No, and it doesn't matter. Buffalo is good, but they didn't really get better other then Von Miller, who is situational. Sure they got Cook... but he is undersized, and is more likely to help them next year then this year. Elam is ok but he is no Sauce. Losing Beasley and Sanders is a bigger deal then you may think.