Revis on the Pat McAfee Show.

maury77

CB1

Here is the punt return they start the interview talking about:

-Mentions playing in NY is tough on the mind but speaks with love and respect about his time in NY.  

@FidelioJet might be worth a watch if you want to feel better seeing his name in the ring of honor.  It’s tough not to love the way he talks about his time in the Jets.   The whole league fan bases followed his highlights every week back then and he was Mr NY Jet to me.  

-Talks about his mindset prepping for WRs and the game plan he’d have going into the weeks.  

-Sounds like he’s discussing having more involvement with the Jets and he wants to get back into football. 

-Discussion about shutdown CBs in todays game.  

Pat is beaming and loving how Revis is keeping it real.  This is just the 1st half.  I can’t watch videos this long without lots of plays replaying, but I’ll finish it later.  Great interview.  

• Upvote 3

Great interview. Don’t hear revis speak very often. He seems very intelligent and mature. Hope he wants to help out the young guys that would be awesome. Can’t learn from much better than him 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

CB1

Here is the punt return they start the interview talking about:

-Mentions playing in NY is tough on the mind but speaks with love and respect about his time in NY.  

@FidelioJet might be worth a watch if you want to feel better seeing his name in the ring of honor.  It’s tough not to love the way he talks about his time in the Jets.   The whole league fan bases followed his highlights every week back then and he was Mr NY Jet to me.  

-Talks about his mindset prepping for WRs and the game plan he’d have going into the weeks.  

-Sounds like he’s discussing having more involvement with the Jets and he wants to get back into football. 

-Discussion about shutdown CBs in todays game.  

Pat is beaming and loving how Revis is keeping it real.  This is just the 1st half.  I can’t watch videos this long without lots of plays replaying, but I’ll finish it later.  Great interview.  

My problem exactly.

Right now he wants to ingratiate himself to the fan base.  He's a mercenary and by definition has no home, so he's trying to create one now that his career is over.   It is an absolute disgrace that he's getting away with it.  

We seem to have a fanbase and ownership with no self respect.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because he played 3 seasons with 2 other teams?  One handful of games with KC?  One team he was traded to, the other two when the Jets didnt want him?

He was a Jet, will always be considered a Jet, an all time great Jet, no matter how much you hate that he wanted to get paid what he was worth

Revis was a pos on his way out. Not talking about game play but it was bad. His attitude  was terrible. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Revis was a pos on his way out. Not talking about game play but it was bad. His attitude  was terrible. 

Yeah, based on which dream was he not a great teammate?  Where you in the locker room?  Have a quote by a single player saying he wasnt a great teammate?  A coach who had an issue with him?  Because he wanted to get paid and was once as a Jet?  How was he a POS as a Jet or on his way out, when he was the one dumped?  How does that make him a POS.  

Is A Donald a POS for getting QB money as a DL?  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, based on which dream was he not a great teammate?  Where you in the locker room?  Have a quote by a single player saying he wasnt a great teammate?  A coach who had an issue with him?  Because he wanted to get paid and was once as a Jet?  How was he a POS as a Jet or on his way out, when he was the one dumped?  How does that make him a POS.  

Is A Donald a POS for getting QB money as a DL?  

Here's a quote.  He was awful in his last season. He was lucky to even be playing he was so bad and he said at the end something to the effect "Let's see where the Jets Loyalties  lay in negotiations  with me". 

This is really an issue with you when someone disagrees with you 😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

My problem exactly.

Right now he wants to ingratiate himself to the fan base.  He's a mercenary and by definition has no home, so he's trying to create one now that his career is over.   It is an absolute disgrace that he's getting away with it.  

We seem to have a fanbase and ownership with no self respect.

Yeah, Revis' past has always shown his commitment to the Jets was no more than to when it was to his own financial benefit, regardless of whether in the team's best interest.  For those who defend it by saying it was "strictly business", that's fine, but let's not pretend anything is even slightly different about that right now.  Trying to cash in on his past with the Jets is the last remaining chance he has to pull more money out of the NFL, after ending his career as a league-wide punchline, and that's all he's trying to do now.

Mevi$ didn't suddenly transform into a new person.  I actually have no problem if he pulls it off now, because whatever side money he takes doesn't make any difference to the team on the field, but let's also not try to suddenly start retroactively praising the guy for something he's not, and never was.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Here's a quote.  He was awful in his last season. He was lucky to even be playing he was so bad and he said at the end something to the effect "Let's see where the Jets Loyalties  lay in negotiations  with me". 

This is really an issue with you when someone disagrees with you 😉

How does his abilities coming to an end make him a bad teammate, a  POS or a mercenary?  Because it doesn’t and even dumber, not deserved of being on the Jets Ring of Honor.  
it’s not an issue with me when someone disagrees with me.  It’s your routine when youre proven to be dead wrong leading to endless posts trying to get people to change their minds 

42 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Trying to cash in on his past with the Jets is the last remaining chance he has to pull more money out of the NFL, after ending his career as a league-wide punchline, and that's all he's trying to do now.

Mevi$ didn't suddenly transform into a new person.  I actually have no problem if he pulls it off now, because whatever side money he takes doesn't make any difference to the team on the field, but let's also not try to suddenly start retroactively praising the guy for something he's not, and never was.

Yeah he forced the Jets to put him in the ROH, his play and career didn’t prove he belonged, so the money could start flowing in from the NFL and “side money”

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Revis held for a new contract once.  Once.  
Revis never forced his way out via trade. Idzik traded him a year+ his contact would come out of fear he would have to pay him what the best DB would get. 
Revis went to win a SB because the Pats were the only team to make him an offer.  When the Jets could have signed him but didn’t want him.  
Revis didn’t steal money, the Jets signed a aging player who was on the decline 

Woody is putting the second best player to play for the Jets where he belongs.  
You’re right, end it

Revis held out for 3 weeks of camp before signing his rookie deal.  He held out in 2010 for almost all of camp, missed all the preseason games and promptly got dinged when we are in the midst of a legit super bowl (failed) run.  Despite digging his heels in so hard on the rookie deal, he still held out long before it was up.  Before the 2012 season he made some noise that he wouldn't show to camp, but then did and blew out his ACL.  Going into 2013 he was in the last year of his deal and again making noise.  He was refusing a long term deal and ended up getting deal in Tampa in line with the largest in the league at any position.  He was a great player and I am fine with him being in the ring, but he held out twice (I guess only once was for a "new" contract) and was constantly squawking about his pay and making it an issue even when he was under contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I will say this, he legacy might have been even stronger if not for a total fluke play.  He joined the Chiefs near the end of Mahomes rookie year.  There were varying reports of how he performed, but in the wild card game, he blocked a Mariota pass at the goal.  Mariota (who looked like he was over the LOS) caught it and scampered in for the TD and the Titans won 22-21.  It was a big play in a game that could have moved them on.  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Revis held out for 3 weeks of camp before signing his rookie deal.  He held out in 2010 for almost all of camp, missed all the preseason games and promptly got dinged when we are in the midst of a legit super bowl (failed) run.  Despite digging his heels in so hard on the rookie deal, he still held out long before it was up.  Before the 2012 season he made some noise that he wouldn't show to camp, but then did and blew out his ACL.  Going into 2013 he was in the last year of his deal and again making noise.  He was refusing a long term deal and ended up getting deal in Tampa in line with the largest in the league at any position.  He was a great player and I am fine with him being in the ring, but he held out twice (I guess only once was for a "new" contract) and was constantly squawking about his pay and making it an issue even when he was under contract.

He was held out of camp over wording or the number of years of his deal not over money.  The usual signing bs.  The 2010 was because he outplayed his contract by a ridiculous level.   What was it, leading into the 4th season of a five year deal?  He never held out and don’t remember a threat of a hold out that came out of his mouth, could have, I don’t care about those kinds of rumblings when they aren’t direct quotes from a player or lead to missed time.  I also don’t remember him refusing a long term deal or one that paid him what he was worth as the games best CB.  Just as I don’t remember the constant squawking over pay by Revis.  But we agree, my point to MCB , he deserves his place in the Jets ROH

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's an unforgiving sport, and that torn ACL is exactly why he held out. 

Some of ya'll act like these players are your play toys, and should take paycuts, and act like a good soldier. But as soon as they get hurt, or have a bad season, you're quick to discard them like they're trash. Revis did what he had to do, and I appreciate him for the elite level of play he bought to this team. He's a once in a generation type of player. He doesn't owe us anything else. I'm glad he's back and repping the Jets.

Tf is wrong with some of ya'll, acting like we have had HOFers up the ass in the last 30 years. We can't get picky with who we "accept" lol

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

We can go back and forth with this forever.  So this is the last time I'll do with you but here's my position.

Revis held out or threaten to hold out almost every year he was a Jet

Revis's greed forced his way out on a trade

Revis went on to win a super bowl with the Patriots.

and all of that I would be okay with - but he then went on to steal the Jets' money for two years.  Signing a big contract and then deciding to be more of Matadore than a football player.  What he did those last two years should be absolutely disqualifying on its own - let alone everything that came prior. 

I'll say it again, by putting Revis is ROH, Woody Johnson is showing a complete and utter lack of self respect.  

Grow up

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nice summary. Like when you actually dig in a bit his career is awfully short. He didn’t have that many great seasons. The great DB’s of the last 30 years or so had way more longevity.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Nice summary. Like when you actually dig in a bit his career is awfully short. He didn’t have that many great seasons. The great DB’s of the last 30 years or so had way more longevity.

How many great DBs in the last 30 years had 4 All-Pro seasons? He was good/great/elite for a decade.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Very constructive addition.  

He's a professional football player who did what he had to do to get paid the most amount of money. You root for a football team, and you're butthurt that he wasn't a loyal soldier (for that football team) who you'd quickly discard if he tore his ACL early in his career. Grow up.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

How many great DBs in the last 30 years had 4 All-Pro seasons? He was good/great/elite for a decade.

Plenty of guys who I think were better for longer. Revis is still only 36 and he’s been out since 2017.

Many of the of Jets fans dislike for Revis stems from him being a smart businessman who looked out for himself in a league designed to take advantage of its players. One criticism that is warranted however was that his sharp decline could be attributed to laziness. He played one of the hardest positions in the NFL, one of those positions where the declines usually are very quick once the player gets past 30 however I believe he could’ve extended his career by 2-3 years with a decent level of play if he had really put the effort into maintaining his athleticism and adapting his game.

All that aside, his few years of sheer dominance have made me a Revis fan for life. He should be celebrated alumni and should be welcome back into the organization with some kind of role if that’s what he desires. His knowledge of the position could be of value and considering his calm, well spoken demeanor he’d be interesting in a media position as well.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Plenty of guys who I think were better for longer. Revis is still only 36 and he’s been out since 2017.

Doesn't matter what you think. How many were 4 time all pro? We can argue about what you think is a better type of career, but you can't argue that he was elite for a longer time than most CBs.

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Doesn't matter what you think. How many were 4 time all pro? We can argue about what you think is a better type of career, but you can't argue that he was elite for a longer time than most CBs.

Eh debatable. Guys with less all pros who I think were better players with better resumes.

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He's a professional football player who did what he had to do to get paid the most amount of money. You root for a football team, and you're butthurt that he wasn't a loyal soldier (for that football team) who you'd quickly discard if he tore his ACL early in his career. Grow up.

Much better (sans the butthurt comment)

Darrelle Revis will be and should be a first ballot hall of famer.  He chose to take an aggressive stance to make as much money as he possibly could - and that's fine - many players take this route and good for them.

I do not begrudge him attempting to make the most money he can.  That is a decision for which I have no problem, but there are consequences to that action (like there are with every action)

In his case - it's that he chose money over the fan base, over the team.  In the end he likely made $130mm over his career instead of a $120mm (guesses, but it's probably closer than that)

He chose to take the mercenary route, many players do - and I have no problem with it.  But that also means he's not a Jet and doesn't belong in the Ring of Honor.  He's a great football, not a great Jet.

Mangold surely could have made more money if he left in FA, Brick the same.   They made a choice to stay with the team and still made plenty of money.  Hence deserving of this honor that should be held for only the very special - that were great players but also chose to be great Jets.  

That's simply not the choice Revis made.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Much better (sans the butthurt comment)

Darrelle Revis will be and should be a first ballot hall of famer.  He chose to take an aggressive stance to make as much money as he possibly could - and that's fine - many players take this route and good for them.

I do not begrudge him attempting to make the most money he can.  That is a decision for which I have no problem, but there are consequences to that action (like there are with every action)

In his case - it's that he chose money over the fan base, over the team.  In the end he likely made $130mm over his career instead of a $120mm (guesses, but it's probably closer than that)

He chose to take the mercenary route, many players do - and I have no problem with it.  But that also means he's not a Jet and doesn't belong in the Ring of Honor.  He's a great football, not a great Jet.

Mangold surely could have made more money if he left in FA, Brick the same.   They made a choice to stay with the team and still made plenty of money.  Hence deserving of this honor that should be held for only the very special - that were great players but also chose to be great Jets.  

That's simply not the choice Revis made.

You gotta let that sh*t go. For the sport he plays, it's tough to begrudge him for it. How could he not be a great Jet because he tried to maximize his potential earnings? That's insane, and it's part of why I say grow up. It's childish and petty. It's taking away human agency and turning him into some type of play toy for your own amusement. He did nothing wrong. He didn't do anything criminal. You can't separate the sport from reality and the reality is most players don't have long careers. Getting mad at him for understanding that is absurd.

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

You gotta let that sh*t go. For the sport he plays, it's tough to begrudge him for it. How could he not be a great Jet because he tried to maximize his potential earnings? That's insane, and it's part of why I say grow up. It's childish and petty. It's taking away human agency and turning him into some type of play toy for your own amusement. He did nothing wrong. He didn't do anything criminal. You can't separate the sport from reality. 

So can any great players be a Jet if they wanted?  Even if they stole the teams money for two years - or won a Super Bowls with rivals.  Where's the line?

What if he was here for only two years? Great Jet?

What if the last four years he was here he played Ole' rather than trying to tackle - instead of the two years he did it.

The man sh*t on this franchise - and people want to glorify for it.

You choose to want to glorify him - I say good for you.  But please do NOT tell me to grow up because I don't agree with you.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1