OTA Updates - June 8th

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The rationale still doesn’t make sense. Unless they think Williams is just a guy.

It’s analytics bleeding into the game.  The numbers say guys around those amount of snaps are more likely to stay healthy.

I get embracing that part of the game, but I think it is silly in this instance.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

It’s analytics bleeding into the game.  The numbers say guys around those amount of snaps are more likely to stay healthy.

I get embracing that part of the game, but I think it is silly in this instance.

Williams was at a significantly lower number even than the average. The Jets were injured up the wazoo last year. Football injuries are more about pain tolerance than anything. Guys will never be 100% healthy. I’d feel better about this if they just thought Williams was no better than the other guys on the DL. Between the soft practices and the “pitch counts” when it matters this is teetering towards absurdity.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My impression is the Jets are (understandably) obsessed with minimizing injuries after the past couple of seasons of ridiculous injury totals, but I agree that this is kind of dumb. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Williams was at a significantly lower number even than the average. The Jets were injured up the wazoo last year. Football injuries are more about pain tolerance than anything. Guys will never be 100% healthy. I’d feel better about this if they just thought Williams was no better than the other guys on the DL. Between the soft practices and the “pitch counts” when it matters this is teetering towards absurdity.

See. We don't have any freakazoids. So you rotate.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

See. We don't have any freakazoids. So you rotate.

His rationale is beyond silly. Taking Williams out because a team converted a 3rd down? Is this a joke lol. Do they have orange slices waiting on the sideline too? This is the nfl bob 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My impression is the Jets are (understandably) obsessed with minimizing injuries after the past couple of seasons of ridiculous injury totals, but I agree that this is kind of dumb. 

When you try not to get hurt in football you just end up getting more hurt. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

These guys all get hurt. You inject yourself to the gills to play through the pain and take every PED under the sun to recover like everyone else.

Whether guys are willing to do that largely depends on the team. If the Jets were competing more guys would show up. Mosley literally came back two years ago when we showed something vs Dallas and then bailed during the Pats demolition lol. It was pretty transparent what was going on.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Who is "you" - players or coaches? 

I could definitely see this argument applying to players (playing tentatively, taking plays off, etc), but I don't see how Saleh instituting a snap count would lead to significantly more injuries. I find that hard to believe. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The rationale still doesn’t make sense. Unless they think Williams is just a guy.

I think it makes sense but doesn’t translate well to describing a broad rule. It’s an explosiveness sport, not an endurance sport. That’s how they train and why football players have better verticals than basketball players. And IMO if they thought Williams was just a guy they wouldn’t be trying to make sure they can get him on the field for third downs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

These guys all get hurt. You inject yourself to the gills to play through the pain and take every PED under the sun to recover like everyone else.

Whether guys are willing to do that largely depends on the team. If the Jets were competing more guys would show up. Mosley literally came back two years ago when we showed something vs Dallas and then bailed during the Pats demolition lol. It was pretty transparent what was going on.

Agreed, but this doesn't explain the alarming number of injuries the Jets had at the beginning (or even, before) the season last year. 

More broadly, the Jets have had an unusual and decisive number of injuries over the last couple of seasons. I get why they are looking hard at trying to minimize them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Who is "you" - players or coaches? 

I could definitely see this argument applying to players (playing tentatively, taking plays off, etc), but I don't see how Saleh instituting a snap count would lead to significantly more injuries. I find that hard to believe. 

Just the mindset. Defined snap counts are silly. The game dictates snap counts. Guys should be well conditioned enough to play their side of the ball and take a blow when it’s necessary. This isn’t iron man football. There’s no reason why your best interior DL should be taken off the field after every first down on 3rd down. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I think it makes sense but doesn’t translate well to describing a broad rule. It’s an explosiveness sport, not an endurance sport. That’s how they train and why football players have better verticals than basketball players. And IMO if they thought Williams was just a guy they wouldn’t be trying to make sure they can get him on the field for third downs.

There aren’t enough snaps in a game where this should even matter. Unless a team is going on a 15+ play drive or is going no huddle. Players get a blow while the offense huddles. The babying is getting a bit much.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Agree with this.  A few teams do this already though and the NFL is a copycat league.  We’ll see how much they stick to this in meaningful games.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Just the mindset. Defined snap counts are silly. The game dictates snap counts. Guys should be well conditioned enough to play their side of the ball and take a blow when it’s necessary. This isn’t iron man football. There’s no reason why your best interior DL should be taken off the field after every first down on 3rd down. 

Maybe. It's not my favorite policy. But I also haven't looked carefully at any statistical link between snap counts and injuries. I could see being swayed if the link was overwhelming. 

Unfortunately, I suspect the reality is that injuries are largely random. The Jets need good luck for a change, more than anything else. 

Also, I think QW is a good player, but not a gamechanger. I don't see this being a huge deal one way or another. The Jets have a lot of decent to good DL, but no one that is proven to be elite. I don't think a strict rotation hurts them that much, unless QW (or maybe JJ?) suddenly emerges as a truly dominant player. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

There aren’t enough snaps in a game where this should even matter. Unless a team is going on a 15+ play drive or is going no huddle. Players get a blow while the offense huddles. The babying is getting a bit much.

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion.

If there was no impact of playing snaps you’d never rotate guys even on long drives, so obviously snaps do drain guys.

It doesn’t benefit them at all to have a worse player on the field. So for each guy they’re going to decide after X snaps your fresh backup is more effective and will be on the field.

I get X is less than you’d like, but we see this basically all over the field except the OL and at QB. I guess I don’t get why it’s a surprise. Of any position I’d think DL is right next to running back in terms of being physically draining and it’s really easy to see the benefit of fresh legs at RB.

I also think it’s in part a function of more specific training that allows guys to get stronger and faster, which we continue to see at the combine, but I’m sure comes at the cost of endurance since at some point something has to give.

• Upvote 1

"Speaking of the WRs, Saleh stresses versatility, says players such as Moore, Davis and Wilson need to play more than 1 spot. Won't say who replaces Crowder in the slot. #Jets"

If I remember correctly this is what really hurt Mims. Not only did he not contribute on specials but he was limited in his route tree and Saleh kept ragging on how he could not play multiple spots. I honestly have a feeling he will be considerably more prepared this time around for what is required of the WR position in this offense. Excited to see what he can bring to the corps.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We'll know soon enough.  When Q starts squawking about wanting an extension, if JD claims he wants Q to be a "Jet for life", he's toast...

34 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I hear continuous sounds of cameras clicking...goddammit, how many pictures do you really need? Annoying as fuk.

WHO USES CAMERAS THAT CLICK ANYMORE ?????  Nikon's pro line is completely silent and shoots 25 super high resolution (45 Megapixel) stills a second.  Clicking cameras are antiques.

• Haha 1