Browns franchise going forward

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good thing we have a smart gm that kicked the tires but did not flush everything own the tubes for this guy like 25% of this forum wanted to do.

To be fair, when the trade possibility first came out, the context was completely different.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gramsci said:

To be fair, when the trade possibility first came out, the context was completely different.

No it was not, all of these allegations had been our there for a long time and no one knew the whole story thus a smart team and a smart league finds out the whole story.  The Browns get what they deserve and if the jets had been stupid enough to make similar deal they would have deserved what they got.

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

You are right, it is normal to have 66 different women massaging you in 17 months. It is absolutely normal especially when 1/3 are accusing you of sexual misconduct.  Nothing but pure coincidence!

You must be quoting the wrong person since I never said any of that.....my statement was about how "objective" your post was. 

Lmao @ everyone who laughed at me for saying the obvious that Houston knew about this / was covering for Watson and only let the cat out of the bag when he wanted out because of football reasons. 

Houston felt embarrassed so they embarrassed Watson, it’s really that simple IMO 

Now I will say Watson isn’t the only athlete getting these special sessions with these bootleg masseuse and we will all find out soon enough 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No it was not, all of these allegations had been our there for a long time and no one knew the whole story thus a smart team and a smart league finds out the whole story.  The Browns get what they deserve and if the jets had been stupid enough to make similar deal they would have deserved what they got.

The allegations were only made public two months after he requested a trade - when the civil lawsuits were filed. According to what was being reported in the media. 

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

You are right, it is normal to have 66 different women massaging you in 17 months. It is absolutely normal especially when 1/3 are accusing you of sexual misconduct.  Nothing but pure coincidence!

I agree the guy is sick but I’m not sure 2 new accusers alleging the same things as the first 22 accusers changes very much. There aren’t criminal charges so he won’t go to jail and he won’t be suspended for life so eventually he will play for Cleveland because the money is all guaranteed and they don’t seem to care how bad it looks. 

12 hours ago, Hex said:

Change the title to "Browns Franchise going Backward"

I would suggest "... going Down", but I think there's potentially been enough of that already! ;-) 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is definitely not true.

When Watson was first looking out none of this was public, in fact just about everything that came out about him was positive. 

That said, there were plenty of Jets fans still interested in Watson post-allegation and those guys are looking pretty bad right now. 

18 hours ago, slats said:

That’s not without risk for Mayfield. Is there a divided locker room surrounding the guy? The team very publicly gave up on him, for a very questionable character. A bad season just confirms that the Browns were right to move on. And the Browns possibly face exactly what you’re describing, which would make their already highly scrutinized move all the more suspect. And he wants nothing to do with them. Can you imagine that influence on a locker room? No, they’re gonna find a way to move him somewhere, and Mayfield stands to gain a little money in a modest (maybe one year?) extension. 

I guess the counterpoint is: what better way to prove to the rest of the league you're not the jackass they say you are. Go out, put your ego and feelings aside and lead the team.

I'm not a Mayfield fan, and feel weird defending him, but he was pretty banged up last year and tried to play through it. He has an opportunity to rehab his game and reputation playing for the Browns in 22. And right now, it looks like the only place in the NFL he will have the chance to start.

Let's be clear though - there were at least three other teams fighting for his services - willing to trade away as much as Cleveland did and pay him close to it.

Cleveland got him because they were willing to spend the most amount of money - but these other teams were pretty close.

And, to be clear, this is still likely to work out well for them.

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

anyone else remember the last time Mekhi Becton faced Myles Garrett? 

it did not go well for Becton 

all this QB drama aside they are a tough team especially on defense 

QB is sorta an important position, though.  Forty million + tied up on two starters this year, neither one of which might play.

20 hours ago, Bronx said:

And the other 2/3 probably just want to keep their privacy and stay out of the papers.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So people think Baker is going to agree to be an 8 week rental?  Or how many weeks Watson is suspended.  Don’t see that at all 

I mean, he would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he doesn't - if, of course, the Browns want to hold him to it.  It's his pride over $9mm or so.

My guess, he'll take the money - Browns are playing nice now but not sure they will when the seasons' ready to start.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

I guess the counterpoint is: what better way to prove to the rest of the league you're not the jackass they say you are. Go out, put your ego and feelings aside and lead the team.

I'm not a Mayfield fan, and feel weird defending him, but he was pretty banged up last year and tried to play through it. He has an opportunity to rehab his game and reputation playing for the Browns in 22. And right now, it looks like the only place in the NFL he will have the chance to start.

I simply don’t see it as in the best interests of the team or the player, and expect to see Mayfield playing somewhere else this season. 

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean, he would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he doesn't - if, of course, the Browns want to hold him to it.  It's his pride over $9mm or so.

My guess, he'll take the money - Browns are playing nice now but not sure they will when the seasons' ready to start.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

He can make that in his sleep

22 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So this is all based on the theory that the Browns will now void Watson's contract and eat all those draft picks they traded because there are 24 accusers instead of 22? LMAO. #news-in-2022

Given what they gave up for Watson, there is a zero percent chance they let Watson just walk. Florio was just spewing stupid speculation with zero sources to indicate that the Browns are even thinking about doing this.

The reality is that nothing that has come out since the trade/signing is different than what came out before so while there may be a technicality that would allow the Browns to void the contract there is no chance they actually do that and let all those draft picks go to waste because there are now 24 accusers instead of 22. 

No, two new women are two new cases.  Potentially criminal charges.  This is a total mess that might not go away in the time frame the Browns were expecting.  Im sure they assumed, probably with assurances from Watson and his people, that a settlement would happen or at worst a civil case would happen quickly and then the NFL would suspend him.  What happens if one or the two new women file criminal charges, do they say well the others other charged was passed so we wont take on the charges?  Or do they move forward delaying the case further?  I'm not a lawyer so I dont know but I dont see why a different two set of charges doesnt complicate things.  

17 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So people think Baker is going to agree to be an 8 week rental?  Or how many weeks Watson is suspended.  Don’t see that at all 

At this point, Cleveland is the only place where he will be the starter. Obviously that can change if someone on another team gets hurt in camp/preseason. But right now the Browns are his only option.

21 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This will pass and Watson will take his 6-8 week suspension and be there to make a playoff push.

It will eventually get swept under the rug because the NFL wants it swept under the rug. 

Barring any video or audio evidence - this will be all but done by week 10.

I hate this take but, unfortunately, completely agree with you. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

At this point, Cleveland is the only place where he will be the starter. Obviously that can change if someone on another team gets hurt in camp/preseason. But right now the Browns are his only option.

Yes, I agree, if he wants to go back to the team that just screwed him.  There is a reason they just excused him from OTas.  He has made it very clear , he wants nothing  to do with them 

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, two new women are two new cases.  Potentially criminal charges. 

Um, ok. You realize no one has debated that there are 2 new women? 

The argument I made was that just because we went from 22 virtually identical allegations to 24 virtually identical charges won't change the Browns position. It may lead to a greater NFL punishment, but the Browns already gave up the draft picks. They aren't going to just cut him now because the allegations grew by 8pct. 

It's like some of you think the Browns only traded for watson because there were just 22 horrible allegations but if there were 24 THAT would have been just too much. Pretty comical. 

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im sure they assumed, probably with assurances from Watson and his people, that a settlement would happen or at worst a civil case would happen quickly and then the NFL would suspend him. 

Again, dead wrong. Watson can't guarantee that 22 women would settle. He had already tried to settle with the first 22 and they rejected his offer. He also can't speak on behalf of the court and guarantee a date by when the case would be over. Civil Litigation can take years. The Court or the other side could drag the process out. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So this is all based on the theory that the Browns will now void Watson's contract and eat all those draft picks they traded because there are 24 accusers instead of 22? LMAO. #news-in-2022

Given what they gave up for Watson, there is a zero percent chance they let Watson just walk. Florio was just spewing stupid speculation with zero sources to indicate that the Browns are even thinking about doing this.

The reality is that nothing that has come out since the trade/signing is different than what came out before so while there may be a technicality that would allow the Browns to void the contract there is no chance they actually do that and let all those draft picks go to waste because there are now 24 accusers instead of 22. 

On the Rich Eisen show, according to the article he referenced, he had 66 masseuses during this period.  Think there might be more coming forward?  So, yes.  The draft picks are gone.  Do you want also pay him $230 million?  

4 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

On the Rich Eisen show, according to the article he referenced, he had 66 masseuses during this period.  Think there might be more coming forward?  So, yes.  The draft picks are gone.  Do you want also pay him $230 million?  

Again, explain to me how going from 22 to 24 changes anything? Because maybe it will go 26 or 28? It was horrible at 1 or 2, worse at 4-5. Once you get to 22 and still say "I am willing to trade 3 1sts and pay him 200 million" it makes zero sense to then draw the imaginary line at 24. 

Again, there has been ZERO from the Browns on this subject. Just a stupid Florio report that the Browns MAY be able to cut him.....IF they wanted to do....with zero report to indicate they have any interest in ever doing so. Yet many here are running with this fake story. 

• Like 1

People are quick to forget that half the fanbase wanted to give up 7 first rounders for this creep a month before this story broke....The Cleveland Brown fanbase could easily be us.   Someone should really bump those threads for a good time. lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

People are quick to forget that half the fanbase wanted to give up 7 first rounders for this creep a month before this story broke....The Cleveland Brown fanbase could easily be us.   Someone should really bump those threads for a good time. lol

Even after the allegations came out, a number of folks on here were eager to downplay the severity of what has been alleged. A lot of people don't care. If Watson comes back in 2023 and throws 40 TD passes, Browns fans will love him to death. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Wow what a disaster this team is right now. Baker should tell them to eff off, either give me a $300m contract or trade me. This DW trade could set this franchise back 10 years 

Fitzpatrick will soon be coming out of retirement 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Um, ok. You realize no one has debated that there are 2 new women? 

The argument I made was that just because we went from 22 virtually identical allegations to 24 virtually identical charges won't change the Browns position. It may lead to a greater NFL punishment, but the Browns already gave up the draft picks. They aren't going to just cut him now because the allegations grew by 8pct. 

It's like some of you think the Browns only traded for watson because there were just 22 horrible allegations but if there were 24 THAT would have been just too much. Pretty comical. 

Again, dead wrong. Watson can't guarantee that 22 women would settle. He had already tried to settle with the first 22 and they rejected his offer. He also can't speak on behalf of the court and guarantee a date by when the case would be over. Civil Litigation can take years. The Court or the other side could drag the process out. 

You’ve completely missed what I think.  I’m saying the two new cases could come with more evidence than the original 22 and file criminal charges and under that scenario tie him up in the courts for 2 years.  Then he would have at least a one year suspension to deal with.  You’re going to sit on 3 years without your starting QB while paying him?  The draft picks are gone, who cares about them at this 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No, you’re wrong.  We’re talking what ifs, as in what if the payoffs have been discussed and close to done.  He tried to settle before he had $250 mil in his pocket to raise the offers.   Civil litigation won’t take years