Playoff Mandate

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

This team on paper should make some noise.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 14
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

At some point, hopes and dreams need to turn into tangible results. The Jets need to start winning games, pure and simple.

A playoff mandate this season just isn't realistic though. It's a young team. There are going to be some bumps in the road.

Why is everyone insisting its not realistic... What's unrealistic is a fan base that never expects better then mediocre. Pathetic if you ask me... 

That said... Jets win the AFCE

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, McNeil said:

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

Buried and Bengals have Jie Burrow we don’t. Likely the biggest hurdle this year. 

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Why is everyone insisting its not realistic... What's unrealistic is a fan base that never expects better then mediocre. Pathetic if you ask me... 

Possible? Sure.

Likely? No.

If the Jets make a playoff run or compete for the division, everything would have to come together perfectly. There are alot of "ifs" on this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I'm not a jets fan boy or a jets defeatist. The way I see it is like this.  If Zach Wilson becomes anything approximating a franchise QB, the Jets can and will win 10 games and compete for a playoff spot.  If Wilson proves to be a bust, the Jets will win 4 to 6 games and will be looking towards the QB rich 2023 draft.

They need a QB.  I don't know if they already have one.

QB league.  No other way to see it or put it.  They have enough talent aside from QB to be a playoff team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this team hasn't won a game in division for 3 years

they've won 6 games total in the last 2 years

the "franchise QB" completes at 55% 

but yeah, let's raise expectations to playoff mandate level

what could go wrong? 

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

there's a certain pathology among Jets fans we have to get super excited and have unrealistic expectations so we can rage out when that doesn't happen 

i dont fully understand it but it reminds me of Jetman67 tearing out his own linoleum off the kitchen floor after a bad loss -  because he had already broken everything else of value in the apartment 

I'm not sure the whole lower your expectations and then they still don't meet them thing has been going so well either. 

• Haha 1

The way I see it, is that players like Burrow basically have 2+ years on ZW in terms of experience due to their collegiate careers.

Thats a lot to catch up.  So maybe halfway through the season ZW might be able to get to something approximating Burrows rookie campaign level?  

Is that enough to reach the playoffs?  Probably too little too late, but thats basically the sort of progression I want to see.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

The goal of every team every year should be to win the Super Bowl. That is why they play the game after all. 

Expectations are generally put out by coaches and GM to tamper expectations which directly correlates with job security. Because the reality is 31 out of 32 teams WONT win the Super Bowl. 

For all his flaws this is what I loved about Rex, he always made the fans, organization and players feel like any year they could make a run. Some call it "rah rah" I call it motivation. 

Would love to see a little more spark from Saleh to be totally honest, but he wasn't really as advertised. Much more methodical and measured, which is not a BAD thing, but a little more docile then I would of liked. 

Long way of saying, yea Jets should start winning and it shouldnt be a crazy expectation to ask the Jets to snag a wild card spot moving forward. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't know what's so unrealistic about this.

You all better hope they make the playoffs. Because that's what will happen if Zach Wilson makes the jump in Year 2 that we're all hoping to see. They have enough talent to do it if Zach steps up. If he doesn't, guess what... it's time to start thinking about who the next QB will be. Again.

Put it this way: if Mac goes playoffs again with an inferior cast and Zach doesn't... well, that's all folks.

Let's go ZW.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McNeil said:

Lol, or else what?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

we should hope for significant progress; some of that should mean more wins (doubling to 8 is a good target) but also how the team plays within wins and losses. For example, they can't get simply blown out like last year - at least not as many times.

Next year we can talk about playoff. mandate.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Ever heard the phrase "Expect disappointment, and you will either be happily surprised or right"?

Sure it may not be the greatest philosophy, but given the bullcrap the Jets have given us the last couple decades it's pretty realistic for us to think this way

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As little as this means, its not true.

He is a shill, been beat up for so long that he forgot what positivity is... Part of the jets can never do anything right crowd... And so far he has been right for the last 12 years... But he will learn it's not always going to be like this... 

• Upvote 1

Alright. fair enough, the Jets should make the playoffs...but that must be based on some reasonable idea of what games they will win the upcoming season. It's pretty hard to buy based on a Bengal game and some vague arguments about the nature of the league. I usually say the entire universe could be understood with some basic Seinfeld knowledge, this as well. 

karate fail GIF

If you're going to give a playoff mandate, you do it before FA and the draft, not afterwards. That is where you can make the decisions that alter the course of the team - sign a short term vet or a longer term guy with upside? Trade up for immediate impact or down for more potential? Go with a rookie QB or bring in a vet?

Doing it now would be like deciding you want steak for dinner ... but you didn't buy any and now the shops are closed. :D 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s almost like nothing we do as fans impacts the product on the field.

Weird.

Thanks for that brilliant bit of wisdom. What would we do without you? 

It's almost like fans have expectations regardless of whether they have any personal impact on the team. 

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Thanks for that brilliant bit of wisdom. What would we do without you? 

It's almost like fans have expectations regardless of whether they have any personal impact on the team. 

Your post implied that you think raising or lowering expectations makes a difference.