Zach Wilson’s efficiency shined throughout the Jets’ eighth OTA practice (By DJ Bien-Aime II New York Daily News • Jun 08, 2022 at 4:24 pm)

Zach played pretty efficient during the preseason last year. I'm kind of expecting the same thing during preseason this year. The key is going to be whether or not he can carry that into regular season play. That'll be a question mark until it happens.

As a reminder, Zach last preseason

75% CMP%    191 Yards   2 TD   0 INT on 20 attempts

However, once teams started blitzing and he had to think about where to go, all hell broke loose.

This is why I still believe in him. His biggest issue last year was processing related and I believe he is fully capable of processing the playbook and processing what the defense is doing. He was an accurate QB in college and during the preseason last year.

If he has learned the playbook and can make quick decisions, he'll be able to throw off a better base and his accuracy should go up to where he was before the game became chaotic for him.

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Zach played pretty efficient during the preseason last year. I'm kind of expecting the same thing during preseason this year. The key is going to be whether or not he can carry that into regular season play. That'll be a question mark until it happens.

As a reminder, Zach last preseason

75% CMP%    191 Yards   2 TD   0 INT

However, once teams started blitzing and he had to think about where to go, all hell broke loose.

This is why I still believe in him. His biggest issue last year was processing related and I believe he is fully capable of processing the playbook and processing what the defense is doing. He was an accurate QB in college and during the preseason last year.

If he has learned the playbook and can make quick decisions, he'll be able to throw off a better base and his accuracy should go up to where he was before the game became chaotic for him.

My recollection was also that he was very good in preseason last year.  I figured they thought he was ready to go or he'd have gotten more work.  The fact that he struggled when teams started blitzing and all hell broke loose is why I am not confident.  I think that kind of processing is the hardest thing to learn.  What makes me confident is the fact that he struggled vs. man.  I think our WR play was not great and if Garrett Wilson is the real deal, it will make a huge difference.  I think this system relies on force feeding the ball to a go-to guy.  If they have that he will be golden.  OTOH, if Davis and Moore are hurt a bunch again, he will probably suck. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My recollection was also that he was very good in preseason last year.  I figured they thought he was ready to go or he'd have gotten more work.  The fact that he struggled when teams started blitzing and all hell broke loose is why I am not confident.  I think that kind of processing is the hardest thing to learn.  What makes me confident is the fact that he struggled vs. man.  I think our WR play was not great and if Garrett Wilson is the real deal, it will make a huge difference.  I think this system relies on force feeding the ball to a go-to guy.  If they have that he will be golden.  OTOH, if Davis and Moore are hurt a bunch again, he will probably suck. 

Yea. People are forgetting that Zach actually looked like the best QB on our roster last preseason. He played really clean in those first two preseason games. The one criticism people had was that he wasn't taking any chances on those big time throws like he did in college. Hindsight is 20/20. He clearly wasn't ready for the more sophisticated defenses of regular season play.

Edit: I recall some also saying Zach was going up against team's number 2's with his number 1's. This was partly true.

I get the part that processing is the hardest part to learn. You either have or you don't. And if you have it, you still need experience to get up the learning curve. I have no proof that Zach can get up that learning curve. Just a gut feeling based on his dedication to the game.

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2022 at 11:44 PM, GreenFish said:

Nice write-up. Zach went 6-8 on 11vs11 with all 6 completions going for first downs. Somehow some reporters said the defense got the better of the offense.

He noted that Zach was basically getting the ball out on time. That’s a big deal. We will need to see that when the bullets fly though. But he seems to be looking the part so far. 

This.

If he's comfortable and getting the ball out on time - and he can do that consistently he's going to be very good.

Also to note -  in OTA/mini camp...Sure, he can hold the ball a second or two longer and complete more passes and make bigger plays - and look great to the media- but he's working on getting the ball out on-time.  So even in 7-7's he won't make everything because he's decided to do things the right way.

I still think he has a long way to go - sounds like he's still very much a work in progress - but he's making progress in the area's he needs to - and that's good news.

• Upvote 1

I discount everything Saleh says.  Lefleur on the other hand through a lot of hard work last year has some cred with me.  The obvious thing about Zach and why he went 2 in the draft.  Great arm talent, release and athletic ability.  He also is a very hard worker.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in real games and making teams adjust to him rather than the other way around.  If he can?  He knows the playbook and should be deadly accurate in OTA's and even pre-season where teams show nothing on D.  

Looking forward to TC and how the depth chart shapes up going into the season.  Zach is the starting QB.  I'm really sick of both the praise and tear down of every throw in TC.  It's nonsense.  Saleh's press confrences as far as gaining any real insight is worthless.  Some of that has to do with the reporters.   When TC starts their are going to be guys fighting for jobs.  I'm very interested in that.  

• Sympathy 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, #27TheDominator said:

And more than a few teams started passing WRs, didnt allow them to get off the line once games counted, he had to throw into a lot more tight windows than he did in the preseason.  Id think that was a bigger contributor than blitzing.  Not ever team, every play is a blitz.  Was definitely an issue in the Pats and Denver games but it wasn't in others.  

Hoping its the normal rookie growth cycle on a starved roster on top of the growth of a really young OC.