Jets bringing in OT Riley Reiff for a visit.

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are there many younger mauler Right Tackles sitting at home unemployed at current that JD could pursue?

Eric Fisher is a couple of years younger and still a free agent, although I think he’s been pretty exclusively a left tackle since his rookie season, and I’m not sure he qualifies as a “mauler”.   I thought I saw an article at some point that at least speculated that the Jets might be in contact with him, but I haven’t seen anything more about it.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Morgan Moses 2.0, no downside.  With Douglas sniffing around Alexander, Ogunjobi and now Reiff

he's showing he finally wants to win

There was only so many seasons the organization was going to be ok with an empty Metlife every October on 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Would be a home run depth signing.  He’s an average starting tackle any more, but that would make him a superb back up.

Where did he play college ball?

Iowa Hawkeyes Football GIF by University of Iowa Hawkeyes Athletics

I love it.  JD shows he's got the smarts and the drive.  This would be a key signing.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As of right now we need a starting RT.  If he can start great.

As far as I'm concerned until Becton is done with rehab he can't start.

Sorry, but that is a hot garbage take:

We don't need a starting  RT.

Becton is ready now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

That'd be a good signing. Solid vet who realistically could be taking snaps given our instability at the position.

@HawkeyeJet Why is that hawk perpetually grimacing?

Stuck watching Iowa football

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, why not.  Dude has played a ton of Football in this league.  Though I really just dont understand why they didnt bring Moses back.  He signed for next to nothing.

3 years, 16.5M. Doubt Douglas wanted to make that type of commitment for a player who would ideally be a backup.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Two things: A guy who spent most of his career at LT may not be a solid option at RT. For example, if iron man D'Brick were a FA after playing LT for the Jets, he'd be a terrible signing for a starting RT spot.

Second, It seems JD signs a lot of players to 1 yr contracts....always looking to upgrade the following FA period. I know Moses wanted a starting gig, but did JD even try (seriously try) to resign him? Or was JD content with letting Moses walk and using that opportunity to try and get just a bit better? Seems to be his M.O.

• WTF? 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

So, do you think Joe Douglas was lying when he said, just a month ago, that Becton was still rehabbing?

He better be ready and he will have less pressure coming back at RT.

LT- Fant; RT-Becton

Yes we need insurance. 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m wondering about the timing of it.  Becton isn’t here.  Is bringing him in now sending a message to him that they’re not going to be held hostage by his lack of participation.  And becton saw last year that the jets essentially did replace him just fine with a FA signing.  

Hey how about this.  Maybe theyre doing it because Fant hasnt been at a single OTA?  

Nah, lets jump on Becton for training with the top OL coach and give Fant a pass

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m wondering about the timing of it.  Becton isn’t here.  Is bringing him in now sending a message to him that they’re not going to be held hostage by his lack of participation.  And becton saw last year that the jets essentially did replace him just fine with a FA signing.  

From what I’m hearing (little birdie) Becton isn’t expected to be with the Jets.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, why not.  Dude has played a ton of Football in this league.  Though I really just dont understand why they didnt bring Moses back.  He signed for next to nothing.

Maybe Moses didnt want to play for a team where he felt a healthy Becton means hes insurance on the bench and wants a better chance of starting

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, do you think Joe Douglas was lying when he said, just a month ago, that Becton was still rehabbing?

No I think the entire off season had him rehabbing, healthy or not.  His rehab was plotted out over the entire off season, doesnt mean he couldn't start today.  Obviously their in contact with everyone involved and they expect him to play from day one

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No I think the entire off season had him rehabbing, healthy or not.  His rehab was plotted out over the entire off season, doesnt mean he couldn't start today.  Obviously their in contact with everyone involved and they expect him to play from day one

I hope you're right, I really do feel like a healthy Becton will make this one of the best OL in the league.  I love him on the right side with AVT...

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

From what I’m hearing (little birdie) Becton isn’t expected to be with the Jets.

Be careful that while that little birdie is whispering in your ear he may be crapping on your shoulder.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Regardless of Becton's availability and performance in this upcoming season, Reiff would be an excellent signing.  Perhaps the timing suggests something.  I really don't care about that aspect.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

I want and expect a veteran OT to be signed before the season. Reiff went on IR last December with an ankle, and will turn 33 this year, so I’m not sure if he’s my first choice. I’d prefer a mauler of a RT, because that’s what the Jets need more than a true swing tackle with Fant and Becton both capable of playing the left side. 

But but but @bitonti told me you hate Offensive Linemen????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably Macc's only good draft pick at this point.

Brandon Shell is a power man player not a fit for the gase inside zone certainly not a good fit for the outside zone 

He plays well "in the phone booth" he's also hurt all the time 

Riley reiff btw is similarly not reliable. Not like Moses who was durable. Reiff's basically washed at this point.

And so is Eric Fisher. That Achilles basically ended his career 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Hey how about this.  Maybe theyre doing it because Fant hasnt been at a single OTA?  

Nah, lets jump on Becton for training with the top OL coach and give Fant a pass

This is a great point 

The Jets by the way are screwing Fant just like any other player who ever asked for market value. Everyone said how great Fant was last year, and this dude was supposed to get a new deal at the combine. 

But They'd rather not do that. So they won't 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe Moses didnt want to play for a team where he felt a healthy Becton means hes insurance on the bench and wants a better chance of starting

Or maybe Moses just wanted to play for a team that is decent winning 8 games rather than a bad team that wins 4 games 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

No, although I’d probably kick the tires on Brandon Shell before committing to Reiff. Could also be a position that has to wait until the final cut downs. 

Did we not learn anything about Brandon Shell as he wasn’t offered a contract by the Jets when he was a free agent and was part of the problem with Seattle o line leading to Wilson’s departure   No thank you