OTA updates 6/9

Just now, Lith said:

Thanks, @Mogglez.  Did not realize today's session was open to the press.  I should be able to help with some updates today.

No problemo!  I saw Cimini mention something about how the next 6 out of 7 practices were open to the media and they weren’t there Tuesday so I figured I’d check.

11 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Besides "it's June," which doesn't actually explain anything, I'm not sure why there is "really nothing ... to be gleaned from these practices?"  Last year, Wilson struggled with being a pro-QB.  That is to say, struggled with decision making and accuracy.  His strengths were as a flag football QB.

Why is it not, at least somewhat, concerning, that he continues to struggle to see the field and put the ball where it's supposed to be?

I do not like Mac Jones, but why is it not concerning that he can he go 20 for 21 in these sessions and Wilson can't look adequate in shorts with no pressure?

We keep seeing highlights on twitter of him side arming the ball... Who cares?  Show me him dropping back and putting the ball exactly where it's supposed to be.  That's what's going to make him successful.

Minimal reps, practice in shorts and still misfiring. I liked the draft a lot but it seems like the Jets continue to make the same mistakes over and over. Tell Belichick it doesn’t matter because it’s June. I’m sure that would go over well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Speaking for myself, nothing I read in these tweets, positive or negative, will change my view of Zach.  I was not impressed with his rookie year and I am skeptical that he will become the guy that we want him to be.  Nothing he does will change my skepticism until I see it in the regular season against live defenses.  OTAs, minicamp, training camp are fun to read about and follow, but will not change the way I see Zach or the team until I see if for myself in the coming season.

Yes, we know.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

It matters, but we gotta keep things in perspective. A practice is a few series. Teams try out new stuff in practice all the time. The key is stringing together consistent practices and eventually games. If zach doesn't look decisive one particular day, it doesn't mean he's doomed, as long as the majority of practices he's progressing in the right direction. 

New stuff... Old stuff... I imagine accurate throws are relevant regardless.

I agree, nothing says he's doomed, but we're all looking for a step forward from his performance last year, and I'm not seeing any reason to believe it will happen.

• Thumb Down 3

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Speaking for myself, nothing I read in these tweets, positive or negative, will change my view of Zach.  I was not impressed with his rookie year and I am skeptical that he will become the guy that we want him to be.  Nothing he does will change my skepticism until I see it in the regular season against live defenses.  OTAs, minicamp, training camp are fun to read about and follow, but will not change the way I see Zach or the team until I see if for myself in the coming season.

I not sure the needle should move significantly during these practices, of course.  But, it's really quite simple - when you don't look good in all the same ways you didn't look good last year - that's concerning - and if you do look good in the ways you didn't last year - that's reason to believe he's improving.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

New stuff... Old stuff... I imagine accurate throws are relevant regardless.

I agree, nothing says he's doomed, but we're all looking for a step forward from his performance last year, and I'm not seeing any reason to believe it will happen.

Fair but I caution looking for that evidence on a practice by practice basis. Yesterday he was a God. Today we hate him.

I agree all that matters is live games, unfortunately we have to wait for that.

Good news is, we'll leave this season with a solid footing as to whether he's the guy or we need a new QB. We haven't had that luxury as fans for a while...

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

We haven't had that luxury as fans for a while...

Really?  Because, I recall expecting to "learn a lot about Sam Darnold this season" and "learn a lot about Mark Sanchez this season."  I'd argue we've had that "luxury" with some real consistency.

• Upvote 1