ESPN predicts the Jets to be picking first in the 2023 NFL draft

The article pointed toward 10 teams with a shot to get the first pick.  The odds were slightly higher for the Jets based on the rational that Zach sucks worse than the QB's on the other teams and Saleh might be the worst HC of the 10.  It's not crazy talk.  Saleh and Zach were putrid last year.  

I expect a much better team.  I think the roster is much better.  I have no clue if Zach or Saleh are remotely competent until they are.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The roster looks much improved.  But no one outside of Jets fans and BYU supporters believe in Zach Wilson.  So we'll continue to see predictions like these roll in until he proves doubters like myself wrong.

Sunglasses Deal With It GIF 

There was absolutely zero reason for @Jet Nut@johnnysd and @OtherwiseHappyinLife to neg rep this post except their pesky emotions getting in the way.  

Keep those tears going, fellas.  It entertains me.  Meanwhile, I truly hope your boy Zach makes me look really silly this season.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, maury77 said:

Ouch. If this did happen, you would see a lot of heads rolling. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/34048812/nfl-draft-2023-projected-order-top-10-picks-including-where-jets-bears-steelers-others-land

"We're almost a year from the 2023 NFL draft, and 285 games lie ahead that will determine the draft order. Anything can happen. We won't know what the top 10 will look like until the end of Week 18 this season, and even then, things can change with pre-draft trades up or down the board.

Even so, we projected how the draft order might play out in those first 10 picks using our ESPN Football Power Index, which gives each team's expected draft slot. An analytics writer pulls back the curtain on the numbers to explain why each team is projected to have an early selection, while our NFL Nation reporters dive in on how each of the teams can outperform these expectations and avoid a disappointing season.

Which teams are destined for a top draft pick? Where might the Jaguars -- who have held the No. 1 pick in each of the past two years -- land? And which teams could surprise in 2022? Let's take a closer look at teams currently headed toward another early Round 1 selection.

1. New York Jets

Chance at No. 1 pick: 13.6%
Chance at top 10: 68.4%

Why they are here: You can see the upside with the Jets. They have Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis and Elijah Moore at receiver. Ahmad Gardner and D.J. Reed are set to lock down the cornerback spots. Carl Lawson is back at edge rusher. And most importantly, they have a potential star in second-year quarterback Zach Wilson. But none of that -- most importantly Wilson -- is guaranteed to pay off. ESPN's FPI is betting that most of it likely won't. -- Walder

How they outperform this projection: Between free agency and the draft, the Jets added playmaking potential on both sides of the ball, most notably with Wilson, Gardner, Reed, running back Breece Hall and safety Jordan Whitehead. Improved team speed should allow them to create game-changing plays, which were in short supply in 2021. The Jets ranked 31st in takeaways and 20th in explosive plays on offense (runs of 10-plus yards or passes of 20-plus yards). -- Rich Cimini"

This is the most execrable commentary on the Jets that I have seen in quite a while.  

I suppose if their plane crashes then the Jets will be picking first next year.  Other than that, it just isn't happening.  If it were to happen, I think I would laugh hysterically, because the only other thing to do is cry.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There was absolutely zero reason for @Jet Nut@johnnysd and @OtherwiseHappyinLife to neg rep this post except their pesky emotions getting in the way.  

Keep those tears going, fellas.  It entertains me.  Meanwhile, I truly hope your boy Zach makes me look really silly this season.

Other than it sucked?

You think you need “our” boys help?  

The roster looks much improved.  But no one outside of Jets fans and BYU supporters believe in Zach Wilson.  So we'll continue to see predictions like these roll in until he proves doubters like myself wrong.

Sunglasses Deal With It GIF 

Which are Chris Simms and David Carr?

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Besides the fact that it’s false?

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Which are Chris Simms and David Carr?

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

Besides the fact that it’s false?

Burned me!  Find me some publications that have the Jets finishing outside of the bottom 5 teams in the league and maybe you’ll have a legitimate point here.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Burned me!  Find me some publications that have the Jets finishing outside of the bottom 5 teams in the league and maybe you’ll have a legitimate point here.  

Where in your post did you say anything about the jets record? You said “no one besides jets and byu fans believe in Zach” which is incorrect. Then you said the only reason to neg that post is because of emotions which I disproved. If anything your post is the emotional one. It’s ok to not like Zach, but to honestly believe no one has faith in him besides jets and byu homers is ridiculous 

now that my friend is a burn. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Where in your post did you say anything about the jets record? You said “no one besides jets and byu fans believe in Zach” which is incorrect. Then you said the only reason to neg that post is because of emotions which I disproved. If anything your post is the emotional one. It’s ok to not like Zach, but to honestly believe no one has faith in him besides jets and byu homers is ridiculous 

now that my friend is a burn. 

The thread is about where the Jets are getting picked dude.  It’s implied.  I was noting that where the Jets are getting picked is a direct reflection of what people think of Wilson.  Or do you think the Jets’ run defense is the top factor?

I suggest you stay on topic as I was doing.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The thread is about where the Jets are getting picked dude.  It’s implied.  I was noting that where the Jets are getting picked is a direct reflection of what people think of Wilson.  Or do you think the Jets’ run defense is the top factor?

I suggest you stay on topic as I was doing.

Record predictions are always wrong. Look at the bengals last year. Si had them at 3 wins and they went to the super bowl. They are made to get clicks. How do you get clicks? By making outrageous takes and see who bites. Very similar to your Zach comment 

1F0826ED-C7D0-441E-AC99-70F9B5B94258.png

• Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Record predictions are always wrong. Look at the bengals last year. Si had them at 3 wins and they went to the super bowl. They are made to get clicks. How do you get clicks? By making outrageous takes and see who bites. Very similar to your Zach comment 

1F0826ED-C7D0-441E-AC99-70F9B5B94258.png

Yeah it’s real outrageous to pick the Jets to be bad

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah it’s real outrageous to pick the Jets to be bad

So having the worst record in the league isn’t meant to generate clicks? Teams with small fanbases like the jags won’t generate nearly as much traction if they put them in that spot. 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

So having the worst record in the league isn’t meant to generate clicks? Teams with small fanbases like the jags won’t generate nearly as much traction if they put them in that spot. 

Seeing as Jets fans react to negative news with such outrage, I can understand the argument to a degree.  But given that this team has gone 12 years without reaching the playoffs and 3 years without winning an AFC East game, no, I don’t think it’s purely a prediction to get clicks.  It’s based in reality, and not enough people believe in Zach Wilson to move the needle.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seeing as Jets fans react to negative news with such outrage, I can understand the argument to a degree.  But given that this team has gone 12 years without reaching the playoffs and 3 years without winning an AFC East game, no, I don’t think it’s purely a prediction to get clicks.  It’s based in reality, and not enough people believe in Zach Wilson to move the needle.  

The loljets crowd eats it up as well, not just jets fans. What’s last place like 2-3 wins? How in the world would the team get worse than last year when a bunch of starters are back from injury have a ton of high picked rookies and lots of money spent in fa with a returning coaching staff. just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Zach was the worst qb in the league last year and still won 4 games with inexperience all over the field. Just look at the roster even if Zach is trash. Potential top 10 OL, solid wr core albeit unproven, 2 solid TEs vs 0, highly regarded rb room, top 10 dl, dbs are vastly improved across the board, lbs are the same or better 

So we'll continue to see predictions like these roll in until he proves doubters like myself wrong.

American History School GIF by Creative Courage 
JETS HISTORY :  Only the players, coaches and front office can change perception.

The media are a bunch of vampires…. Only negativity sells…. Politics, sports, social media

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

How in the world would the team get worse than last year when a bunch of starters are back from injury have a ton of high picked rookies and lots of money spent  in fa with a returning coaching staff. just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. 

Strength of schedule. 1st half of season will be a mine field! It will be tough not to explode.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Strength of schedule. 1st half of season will be a mine field! It will be tough not to explode.

Booz.  I personally think the Jets have a legitimate shot at 5-3 through first 8 games barring any massive rash of injuries. 
This roster reminds me of Waldo’s first years with a young team went 8-8 in 78&79. They did regress in 80 going 4-12 (with one of those loses to the 0-14 Aints on a bitter cold day at Shea) but the squad had talent and were extremely competitive for the next half decade despite Walton being head coach. I am 
very optimistic about direction of this squad and think they can be the surprise team of the NFL this year. 
As much as the maturation of Zach is paramount to this optimistic view I have it is equally if not more important that the run defense plays well. They just can’t let opponents have the ball for 20-25 per half or the season will be a disaster no matter how much Zach improves

• Upvote 1

It's certainly possible.
Until we find a QB we'll be in the mix for the top spot every year.
Someone please start tracking Tom Brady, Patrick Maholmes, Aaron Roger's and Josh Allen for their respective OTA incompletion rate ... please for the love of god let this over reaction pandemic end .. please I beg of thee ... for all that is sacred in this land .... make it stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Booz.  I personally think the Jets have a legitimate shot at 5-3 through first 8 games barring any massive rash of injuries. 
This roster reminds me of Waldo’s first years with a young team went 8-8 in 78&79. They did regress in 80 going 4-12 (with one of those loses to the 0-14 Aints on a bitter cold day at Shea) but the squad had talent and were extremely competitive for the next half decade despite Walton being head coach. I am 
very optimistic about direction of this squad and think they can be the surprise team of the NFL this year. 
As much as the maturation of Zach is paramount to this optimistic view I have it is equally if not more important that the run defense plays well. They just can’t let opponents have the ball for 20-25 per half or the season will be a disaster no matter how much Zach improves

Wow! You brought back some memories there. I hope you’re right.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m the emotional one?  Lol.  Did you get any sleep last night trying to defend your argument?

I’ve written plenty of posts on both sides regarding Wilson and didn’t blink when reading the ESPN headline.  Who cares what their lazy writers think?  Let that be fuel for a the Jets locker room. 

I downvoted because Wilson was the consensus #2 QB in a strong quarterback draft and now nobody believes in him after a rough rookie year on the 2021 NY Jets, a roster that was playing with a league minimum salary cap on the field and still devoid of depth.  And yes, he was part of the problem and I still have major concerns about his accuracy while loving his immense skills and upside.

So that’s why I downvoted.  You could have just asked.  Why don’t you respond to any of the posts I write (you’ll find quite a few, mostly boring data based insights) instead of calling me out on a downvote I gave because I strongly disagreed with your sentiment.  I’m sure you’ll find lots of posts I upvoted because that’s what I do when I strongly agree with a sentiment or feel someone had some great insight.

in any event, I do agree with your thought that the Jets have a lot to prove, including Wilson and until they do we’ll continue to fall on these lazy ass lists.

45 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m the emotional one?  Lol.  Did you get any sleep last night trying to defend your argument?

I’ve written plenty of posts on both sides regarding Wilson and didn’t blink when reading the ESPN headline.  Who cares what their lazy writers think?  Let that be fuel for a the Jets locker room. 

I downvoted because Wilson was the consensus #2 QB in a strong quarterback draft and now nobody believes in him after a rough rookie year on the 2021 NY Jets, a roster that was playing with a league minimum salary cap on the field and still devoid of depth.  And yes, he was part of the problem and I still have major concerns about his accuracy while loving his immense skills and upside.

So that’s why I downvoted.  You could have just asked.  Why don’t you respond to any of the posts I write (you’ll find quite a few, mostly boring data based insights) instead of calling me out on a downvote I gave because I strongly disagreed with your sentiment.  I’m sure you’ll find lots of posts I upvoted because that’s what I do when I strongly agree with a sentiment or feel someone had some great insight.

in any event, I do agree with your thought that the Jets have a lot to prove, including Wilson and until they do we’ll continue to fall on these lazy ass lists.

Just getting tired of people who neg rep posts without even bothering to respond to them.  It’s childish.

I rarely neg rep, and when I do, it’s usually someone posting racist and/or heavily political trash.  Not a Jets-related post.  So hell yeah I’m gonna assume people are in their feelings when they feel the need to neg rep a post about the Quarterback.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

The loljets crowd eats it up as well, not just jets fans. What’s last place like 2-3 wins? How in the world would the team get worse than last year when a bunch of starters are back from injury have a ton of high picked rookies and lots of money spent in fa with a returning coaching staff. just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Zach was the worst qb in the league last year and still won 4 games with inexperience all over the field. Just look at the roster even if Zach is trash. Potential top 10 OL, solid wr core albeit unproven, 2 solid TEs vs 0, highly regarded rb room, top 10 dl, dbs are vastly improved across the board, lbs are the same or better 

You’re helping my point by suggesting the roster is much improved around Wilson, which I agree with.  So why are so many publications picking the Jets so low in spite of that?  The only reasonable answer is they don’t believe in Wilson.

But so what?  I don’t believe in him and many media outlets don’t either.  Who cares?  Maybe he’ll prove all of us wrong.  It’s not worth any tears. 

• Upvote 1