Ashtyn Davis making plays early on

AFJF

On the one hand I'm like..."SWEET".

On the other hand I recall Chad Hansen "lighting it up" in mini-camp a few years back.

Season needs to start ASAP.
Made Me Laugh award of the week ... Chad Hansen... much better selection than Brett Ratliff.

Still Laughing.

Damn - what if Davis winds up starting at safety and Bryce Hall has been starting and Becton gets his job back and we got that punter kid  and maybe something from Mims - then maybe that 1st Douglas draft doesn't look like total dog sh*t. Just partiial dog sh*t.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

That's kinda why I haven written off that draft class. 2020 was a crazy season. You really couldn't run a program like usual, so I considered last year a double rookie class. I expect to see a lot of underachievers from 2020 taking bigger steps in the whole league this season and I think a team like the Jets will improve greatly talent wise.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

His athletic profile is excellent, it would be huge if the lights come on and stay on

I think it also helps to go from an environment where you make the team simply by being healthy and borderline competent to a more stacked roster where your starting job and even roster spot are at risk if you don't play at a high-ish level. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Snell said:

That's kinda why I haven written off that draft class. 2020 was a crazy season. You really couldn't run a program like usual, so I considered last year a double rookie class. I expect to see a lot of underachievers from 2020 taking bigger steps in the whole league this season and I think a team like the Jets will improve greatly talent wise.

same here.  sure losing clark to injury was unfortunate and perine hasn't shown as much as carter or johnson or coleman.  morgan got launched. and, of course not having becton for a season was bad but the rest of the guys have played and contributed.  davis has improved over his rookie year and so has zuniga.  mims took a step back but maybe it was the food poisoning that did him in.  this 2020 draft still has a good chance to be decent.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Damn - what if Davis winds up starting at safety and Bryce Hall has been starting and Becton gets his job back and we got that punter kid  and maybe something from Mims - then maybe that 1st Douglas draft doesn't look like total dog sh*t. Just partiial dog sh*t.

If Becton, Hall, and Davis are starters and Mims is a descent backup, that draft class is more than just partially dog sh*t. That would actually be a solid draft class. We are not there though. This year is a big year for that draft class.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Or it could just be subbed by the dubious AVT trade according to the haters.

Ashyton Davis is a really good centerfield type safety.  He can cover alot of ground w/ his speed and has good hands to pick the ball off.  His issue is being physical and tackling.

If he imprvoed on that part of his game, he could be a real player for us.  If not, he might just be playing on 3rd and longs.

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If Becton, Hall, and Davis are starters and Mims is a descent backup, that draft class is more than just partially dog sh*t. That would actually be a solid draft class. We are not there though. This year is a big year for that draft class.

Hall isn't a starter now.  At best he is 3rd CB, unless you believe that Gardner still has to beat him out. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Imagine if the 2020 draft class sneakily ends up being a pretty good one.  Some of you would have to eat a lot of sh*t on that one.  

I think a couple hats and a sock were in the mix too.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've kind of written him off so if he were to turn into a player it would be a huge win at this juncture. 

Based on your method of analysis, Davis is headed to the Pro Bowl and maybe the HOF because the first 2 days of OTAs in June are the barometer for a career.  Davis has obviously taken a huge leap based on tweets describing his play from beat writers. He is headed for great things.  Wilson, on the other hand, did not light it up with 15-20 passes a day and is clearly a bust.  

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

Was playing better at the end of last season and looks like he's picking up where he left off.  Hughes says today's INT came with a receiver interfering with him and he held on.  Also had one yesterday. If the light comes on for the kid it would be huge.

Not mentioned in the tweet: Mike White not intercepted by Ashtyn Davis.

56 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Based on your method of analysis, Davis is headed to the Pro Bowl and maybe the HOF because the first 2 days of OTAs in June are the barometer for a career.  Davis has obviously taken a huge leap based on tweets describing his play from beat writers. He is headed for great things.  Wilson, on the other hand, did not light it up with 15-20 passes a day and is clearly a bust.  

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Don't worry, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His issue is being physical and tackling.

Not really his issue at all... He can hit, that's not ever doubted... The angles he takes, and learning the position was his issue. If he has studied this defensive scheme and learns it well, then I think he will be a starter. Remember he walked on at CAL.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nixhead said:

This also would mean we are overstocked at Safety. Davis, Whitehead and Joyner. Also looks like Pinnock is being added to that group after a strong play end of last season. Jets also like Riley who I feel is JAG.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, AFJF said:

Was playing better at the end of last season and looks like he's picking up where he left off.  Hughes says today's INT came with a receiver interfering with him and he held on.  Also had one yesterday. If the light comes on for the kid it would be huge.

Is he playing FS? 

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hall isn't a starter now.  At best he is 3rd CB, unless you believe that Gardner still has to beat him out. 

Reed was signed to play alongside Hall.  Before Sauce was drafted.  Hall show better than Reed and he could force Reed to play nickel.
Even if the starters are Sauce and Reed with Hall as the alternate/backup, as what a 5th round pick, still a really good pick by JD

20 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Does Pinnock totally blows as a CB?

Apparently he must have been beatin bad during training camp last summer to fall all the way down in depth but hey rookie, new coaches, new to nfl, new defense....I give him benefit of doubt for now.

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Apparently he must have been beatin bad during training camp last summer to fall all the way down in depth but hey rookie, new coaches, new to nfl, new defense....I give him benefit of doubt for now.

He paltered better once they converted him to S.  PFF had him rated high as a S

Over the final three weeks of the 2021 season, Jason Pinnock was PFF’s 4th highest graded Safety (80.7)  pic.twitter.com/rYKkoiUVQG

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) January 18, 2022

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He paltered better once they converted him to S.  PFF had him rated high as a S

Over the final three weeks of the 2021 season, Jason Pinnock was PFF’s 4th highest graded Safety (80.7)  pic.twitter.com/rYKkoiUVQG

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) January 18, 2022

yes I know , I don't buy in all of PFF (geeks) but I hope he turns out to be real deal.