Three Jets Vets who Will be Playing for 2023 Roster Spot This Season

JetNation

Corey-Davis-scaled.jpg

While Jets fans are fired up for the start of the 2022 NFL season which is now less than 100 days away, there are three Jets veterans who may already be looking ahead to 2023.  Not because of any expectations on the field, but because of what’s at stake if they don’t perform this year.

Linebacker CJ Mosley, edge rusher Carl Lawson and wide receiver Corey Davis have some hefty cap hits on the horizon.  Should they fail to meet expectations, they could be on the way out.  Mosley is likely under the most scrutiny as he carries the team’s biggest cap hit at $18.5 million.  That’s an awful lot of money for an aging inside linebacker whose release would save the team a whopping $15.5 million.

2022 season is huge for futures of CJ Mosley, Carl Lawson and Corey Davis.

2023 cap hit vs cap savings:

Mosley: $18.5 hit – $15.5 savings
Lawson: $15.3 hit – $15 mil savings
Davis: $11.1 hit – $10.5 mil savings

Jets will look to make room with just $12 mil in 2023 cap space.

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) June 11, 2022

The fact Mosley doesn’t play a premium position doesn’t help his cause all that much either.  If Mosley doesn’t re-structure his deal at some point, it’s difficult to see him returning.  That is unless of course he has an all-pro type of season.

Lawson being an edge rusher and Davis potentially being an asset for Zach Wilson may give them a better chance to stick.  However, with just $12 million in cap space, who knows what they’ll have to do to see those pay days.

Lawson is set to make $15.3 million with Davis close behind at $11.1 million.  If the Jets were to cut ties, the cap savings would be $15 million and $10.5 million respectively.

In a perfect world, GM Joe Douglas will agonize over how to pay a roster full of guys who have monster seasons.  In reality, somebody is going to have to take a pay cut or get moved along.  In fact, while Mosley, Lawson and Davis are the top 3, they aren’t alone.  Entering just the second year of his new contract, John Franklin-Myers is set to make just over $12 million with a cap savings of $11.2 million if cut.

The 2022 season might be just around the corner, but it’s 2023 that some guys will be playing for.

The post Three Jets Vets who Will be Playing for 2023 Roster Spot This Season appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Mosley makes the most sense to cut. The one major factor in his favor is that there’s no obvious replacement for him on the roster right now. Not that that can’t be corrected in a single offseason, especially if the team has a decent year. Lawson’s in the most difficult position in that regard, with a lot of newfound depth at Edge and the DL in general. For Davis, it’s really up to him. If he proves to be a major asset for Zach this year, I doubt JD, LaFluer, or Saleh would be interested in hurting that chemistry. The wildcard there could be Mims. If he steps up to the point where he has their trust and confidence, I could see Davis jettisoned and some of that cap relief spent on the veteran #1 WR they were unable to land this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Big year for CJ, Lawson, Davis & JFM if they want to see another big contract.

2023 cap numbers

image.thumb.png.b09e7db700441ac0701d91f982461207.png

JD has certainly done a good job of assuring cap flexibility going forward. Jets can go in many directions to find funds.

I'm expecting CJ to have a good year and aalso be willing to work with the Jets to restructure and stick around. Lawson is boom or bust. If he plays up to the hype, he's a bargain. If he's a promise unfulfilled for another year, I bet the Jets move on. Same with Davis.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jethead said:

JD has certainly done a good job of assuring cap flexibility going forward. Jets can go in many directions to find funds.

I'm expecting CJ to have a good year and aalso be willing to work with the Jets to restructure and stick around. Lawson is boom or bust. If he plays up to the hype, he's a bargain. If he's a promise unfulfilled for another year, I bet the Jets move on. Same with Davis.

This is my take as well. And so, the rookies (specifically Wilson and JJ) will have a considerable impact on this as well. If both hit the ground running and flash star potential while Davis and Lawson underwhelm, odds will be even higher that the Jets will want to move on from the vets and clear cap. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is my take as well. And so, the rookies (specifically Wilson and JJ) will have a considerable impact on this as well. If both hit the ground running and flash star potential while Davis and Lawson underwhelm, odds will be even higher that the Jets will want to move on from the vets and clear cap. 

Even if CJ, Davis and Lawson play reasonably well, if JJ, Wilson, Moore and a resurrected Mims shine, JD might cut them and use the savings and sign some younger Tier 1 FA.

image.thumb.png.23beea54a9670fbbc3c24957b1d2a068.png

• Sympathy 1

i'm thinking this is mosely's last season in a jet uniform.  hard to say about lawson.  if he comes back then maybe he gets extended.  i think davis' situation is highly dependent on how well the new receivers do, even mims.  he costs too much to be coming off the bench.

• Sympathy 1

They have already drafted davis and Lawsons replacements in gw and jj respectively.  That is why douglas does those “3 year can be cut after 2” deals.  Quinnens 5th year ext is the same thing.  It buys douglas an extra year to draft his replacement.

The only way I see any of these guys returning is if they have outstanding season and make themselves irreplaceable.  Anything short of that, they r gone.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Mosley makes the most sense to cut. The one major factor in his favor is that there’s no obvious replacement for him on the roster right now. 

Incredible that 3 years after signing him, if the Jets were to cut him right now, they'd suffer a $17.5M dead cap hit, with $0 in cap savings.  I know COVID played a role in that, but still.  Thanks Macc.

And yes, you're right that he HAS to be a cut next season, no matter how well he plays (assuming no trade partners come available).  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Incredible that 3 years after signing him, if the Jets were to cut him right now, they'd suffer a $17.5M dead cap hit, with $0 in cap savings.  I know COVID played a role in that, but still.  Thanks Macc.

And yes, you're right that he HAS to be a cut next season, no matter how well he plays (assuming no trade partners come available).  

That is silly.  He does not have to be cut if he plays well.  He could be restructured. I will be watching that kid in Oregon though this season.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All three of them are gone next year.

If Lawson gets 12+ sacks he stays.  Davis is likely gone if Moore and Wilson are as good as advertised.  Mosley will have to have a career year to hang around.  Re-structure or adios.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

That is silly.  He does not have to be cut if he plays well.  He could be restructured. I will be watching that kid in Oregon though this season.

Restructuring would not make much sense to me given what's left on his deal.  Cut him, save the $15M, and then sign him back for much cheaper if he plays well.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Worst contract we’ve ever handed out. Peak Maccagnan.

• Upvote 2

Davis’s cap hit is actually decreasing. It would take a very disappointing season in production or INJ to consider cutting him. I would replace him with JFM on the list. 

He's currently the 23rd rank WR in salary. Come next year with his salary going from $12.5M to $11M along with new contracts being given out to others, he'll drop out the top 30. 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

If Lawson gets 12+ sacks he stays.  Davis is likely gone if Moore and Wilson are as good as advertised.  Mosley will have to have a career year to hang around.  Re-structure or adios.

If Lawson gets 12 plus sacks sure - but his high is 8.5 - thinking he's going to produce 12.5 this year is, for the most part, a pipe dream.

In all likelihood all 3 will be gone next year.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

All three of them are gone next year.

This.  We have a very full roster of young players, and more will be coming in next years draft.  Lawson and Davis already have replacements on the roster, and Mosley did not play well last year and is on the downward trajectory of his career.  Absent a rare career resurgence, I just don't see any of these guys surviving what is turning out to be a pretty competitive roster.

• Upvote 1