June Follies

BettyBoop

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The follies continue.  I tried my best, @FidelioJet, but couldn't make it through the full game thread.  Doesn't seem to me that Jets fans find glee in Zach Wilson failing, nor are they rooting for it, but I'll let you make the call and report back:

You just can’t let **** go, can you? 

I honestly don’t believe that we have Jet fans here rooting for the Jets or their players to fail. What I do think we have is a rather sizable vocal minority that is essentially the equivalent of Jet fans who bet against the team with the rationale that they’re happy if the Jets win because they want the Jets to win, but they’re also happy if the Jets lose because then they win a little money. Except here, they’re not winning money, they’re collecting more material to come onto this board and take pleasure in pointing out who or what sucked - often calling out the most ardent fans of the team or a specific player to point out how ridiculous their support had been. The “homers,” being fair game for the cool kids to kick when they’re down. And this time of year, it’s all those seeds being planted, positions being taken. Wilson sucks. Becton sucks. Saleh sucks. As if it’s a brave PoV to predict bad things will happen to this horror-storied franchise. 

So I understand why @FidelioJet might think there are fans who root for the team or a player to fail, but -imo- it’s really just some fans hedging their bets, putting themselves in a position to enjoy the season either way. Either the Jets win and they’re happy, or they get to bust endless balls while trolling and spamming the site and they’re happy. 

So feel free to downvote me again, but we’re not gonna have a thread on here where you bump a couple hundred quotes in an attempt to fight the epic battle of real vs. fake fans. You can even have a little conversation about it until I lock this thread. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I honestly don’t believe that we have Jet fans here rooting for the Jets or their players to fail.

Such a good start.....

What I do think we have is a rather sizable vocal minority that is essentially the equivalent of Jet fans who bet against the team with the rationale that they’re happy if the Jets win because they want the Jets to win, but they’re also happy if the Jets lose because then they win a little money. Except here, they’re not winning money, they’re collecting more material to come onto this board and take pleasure in pointing out who or what sucked - often calling out the most ardent fans of the team or a specific player to point out how ridiculous their support had been. The “homers,” being fair game for the cool kids to kick when they’re down. And this time of year, it’s all those seeds being planted, positions being taken. Wilson sucks. Becton sucks. Saleh sucks. As if it’s a brave PoV to predict bad things will happen to this horror-storied franchise. 

I think you miss the mark quite a bit with this, but if it pleases you to play armchair psychologist, I suppose no one can stop you. 

It seems the idea than some fans can clearly separate analysis and evaluation from emotion-driven fanaticism simply eludes you, and several others here, sadly.

So I understand why @FidelioJet might think there are fans who root for the team or a player to fail, but -imo- it’s really just some fans hedging their bets, putting themselves in a position to enjoy the season either way. Either the Jets win and they’re happy, or they get to bust endless balls while trolling and spamming the site and they’re happy.

When we argued over Sam Darnold's pick by the Jets, do you really think I was doing so just to "hedge my bets", or do you think I had any fact-based analysis and evaluation upon which to base my dislike of the trade to move up and the pick itself?

This is the trouble I have with so many at JN.  The "Homer" runs so strong, that the "Fanatics" can't handle the idea that someone might not agree with a move purely on the quality of the move itself.  They must have evil, hidden, annoying side-motivations, like bet hedging, or to come back and beat up people over it, or whatever other sillyness you think.

Surely, no one could have looked at the trade up for Darnold, and the Darnold pick, and objectively thought it wasn't the right move, right? :rolleyes:

So feel free to downvote me again, but we’re not gonna have a thread on here where you bump a couple hundred quotes in an attempt to fight the epic battle of real vs. fake fans. You can even have a little conversation about it until I lock this thread. 

Maybe you should likewise tell the Fidelio's and Provo's to move along and stop questioning other fans fandoms.

I, for one, am happy to agree to disagree over any specific player or move.

I'm not content to let Johnny-come-lately BYU fans join the community and tell me, after 40+ years, that I'm a sh*tty fan.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Such a good start.....

I think you miss the mark quite a bit with this, but if it pleases you to play armchair psychologist, I suppose no one can stop you. 

It seems the idea than some fans can clearly separate analysis and evaluation from emotion-driven fanaticism simply eludes you, and several others here, sadly.

When we argued over Sam Darnold's pick by the Jets, do you really think I was doing so just to "hedge my bets", or do you think I had any fact-based analysis and evaluation upon which to base my dislike of the trade to move up and the pick itself?

This is the trouble I have with so many at JN.  The "Homer" runs so strong, that the "Fanatics" can't handle the idea that someone might not agree with a move purely on the quality of the move itself.  They must have evil, hidden, annoying side-motivations, like bet hedging, or to come back and beat up people over it, or whatever other sillyness you think.

Surely, no one could have looked at the trade up for Darnold, and the Darnold pick, and objectively thought it wasn't the right move, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should likewise tell the Fidelio's and Provo's to move along and stop questioning other fans fandoms.

I, for one, am happy to agree to disagree over any specific player or move.

I'm not content to let Johnny-come-lately BYU fans join the community and tell me, after 40+ years, that I'm a sh*tty fan.

For the record, I would not put you in this category. You’re just a grumpy old man before your time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

I honestly don’t believe that we have Jet fans here rooting for the Jets or their players to fail. What I do think we have is a rather sizable vocal minority that is essentially the equivalent of Jet fans who bet against the team with the rationale that they’re happy if the Jets win because they want the Jets to win, but they’re also happy if the Jets lose because then they win a little money. Except here, they’re not winning money, they’re collecting more material to come onto this board and take pleasure in pointing out who or what sucked - often calling out the most ardent fans of the team or a specific player to point out how ridiculous their support had been. The “homers,” being fair game for the cool kids to kick when they’re down. And this time of year, it’s all those seeds being planted, positions being taken. Wilson sucks. Becton sucks. Saleh sucks. As if it’s a brave PoV to predict bad things will happen to this horror-storied franchise. 

Fidelio asked for someone to prove a claim and I obliged.  His silence is deafening.  I don’t see the problem with trying to establish that no, Jets fans indeed do not root for Jets players to fail.

I’m not planning to create another thread but you’ll notice I wasn’t the only one to neg rep you when you locked the last one.  Not only was it proving a point but people seemed to be having a little fun with it all in the thread too.  

Look inward, ya smug authoritarian.  

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

you’ll notice I wasn’t the only one to neg rep you when you locked the last one.  Not only was it proving a point but people seemed to be having a little fun with it all in the thread too.  

Not that I was looking for a vote, but it appears to be 2-1 against. An authoritarian would look to throw those results out. I, however, embrace them. 

6488FD37-5BAB-4CE1-AF7F-5F097EFD9BB2.png

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fidelio asked for someone to prove a claim and I obliged.  His silence is deafening.  I don’t see the problem with trying to establish that no, Jets fans indeed do not root for Jets players to fail.

I’m not planning to create another thread but you’ll notice I wasn’t the only one to neg rep you when you locked the last one.  Not only was it proving a point but people seemed to be having a little fun with it all in the thread too.  

No silence, the chain got blocked (I got busy with family and work) I'm never one to run away.

I really don't want to go back and forth on this at this point.  There was plenty to show in those posts of gloating and excitement at the failures.  Not sure how you don't see it.  There is a rush to point out every single throw that isn't good.  There is an underlying joy in many of those posts.

I just want to add - you keep wanting to make this about the Homers vs. the rational people (like yourself)

I, for one, consider myself to be a pretty rationale fan most of the time.  Zach Wilson aside I find I'm more negative than positive (hard not to be with the team's performance) and even Wilson of late has me really concerned.  There are moments where emotion takes over, but mostly rationale.

But it doesn't change this position on this specific topic - I just find it fascinating that you feel like you KNOW the hearts of every member of JN that you can so assuredly say that no fan, no matter how much negativity he spews about Zach Wilson has never been happy to see him fail.

I just don't buy it.   

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There was plenty to show in those posts of gloating and excitement at the failures.  Not sure how you don't see it.

Probably because, thus far, you've been unable or unwilling to cite even a single example.

There is a rush to point out every single throw that isn't good.

Many of us would call that play by play analysis, especially in the Gameday Thread.

There is an underlying joy in many of those posts.

Again, that kind of claim requires support, or should be withdrawn as speculation. 

Which it very clearly is.  Just because you interpret it as "joy" doesn't make it so.  

i.e. this is likely a you thing, not an us thing.

I just want to add - you keep wanting to make this about the Homers vs. the rational people (like yourself)

I, for one, consider myself to be a pretty rationale fan most of the time.

I've yet to meet an unrepentant Homer who didn;t think their Homerism wasn't "rational".

Zach Wilson aside I find I'm more negative than positive (hard not to be with the team's performance) and even Wilson of late has me really concerned.  There are moments where emotion takes over, but mostly rationale.

You've certainly run colder, at times, since OTA's started.  I know I've noticed.

But it doesn't change this position on this specific topic - I just find it fascinating that you feel like you KNOW the hearts of every member of JN that you can so assuredly say that no fan, no matter how much negativity he spews about Zach Wilson has never been happy to see him fail.

Says the guy who just said "There is an underlying joy in many of those posts."

It seems you may be the one who thinks he knows "the hearts" of every JN Member, and you seem to find many of them lacking.

I just don't buy it.   

Then you may want to consider the difference between feeling "joy at failure" and the idea of disappointed fanatics reacting with anger (or any of ye old' stages of grief, really) over a failure to live up to expectations. 

If Zach throws a pass to the flats and leaves it three yards short of an open RB, I am going to yell "God DAMMIT Zach!" in my living room.

I might even post that in a gameday thread too.

It does not, however, means I actually want God to Damn Zach Wilson.

You may want to give that some thought.  Or not.  Up to you.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No silence, the chain got blocked (I got busy with family and work) I'm never one to run away.

I really don't want to go back and forth on this at this point.  There was plenty to show in those posts of gloating and excitement at the failures.  Not sure how you don't see it.  There is a rush to point out every single throw that isn't good.  There is an underlying joy in many of those posts.

I, for one, consider myself to be a pretty rationale fan most of the time.  Zach Wilson aside I find I'm more negative than positive (hard not to be with the team's performance) and even Wilson of late has me really concerned.  There are moments where emotion takes over, but mostly rationale.

I just don't buy it.   

I put the work in.  Point out which of those posts you deem "gloating".  You don't have to convince me.  You're trying to convince all of JN that these people exist.  

On 6/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, BettyBoop said:

80 stop hitting on me already!  I know you just want to date me but it ain't gonna happen!

IF you are a woman with good personal hygiene and are less than a couple of hundred pounds, I would date you.

And IF not me, Tom Shane would.  Maybe.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, BettyBoop said:

It's mid-June and Jetnation is hysterical.  Every post is examined, scrutinized and slammed endlessly.  And it's freaking June!  On the other hand, what else do we have to do?

• Zach is throwing behind his receivers in freaking OTA!  Where will we find our new QB?  We won't have the assets to move up in the 2023 draft so how will we get our FQB of the future who will be throwing behind his receivers in the 2023 OTA?  Oh wait, ESPN say we're getting the #1 pick so there's hope!
  • The DL are on a pitch count!  Oh no!  How will the guys be ready if they're constantly being taken out of the game?  This will destroy QW!  Jermaine Johnson won't be given the chance to develop!  How will Carl Lawson regain his strength?  How will Bryce Huff recover?  How will Jacob Martin learn the system?  What will we do with all these pieces???
  • Where is Mehki Becton???  He needs to be here and practicing with the team!  Who cares that he just had a baby! I know a guy who just had a baby and he still plays Grand Theft Audo XXXIV every day!  And he's also 400lbs!
  • So many pundits say we will stink in 2022 and every one of their articles is posted here.  Well, if that doesn't tell you how bad we are going to be nothing will!

July is almost here and it will only get worse.  I can hardly wait!

OMG you forgot Michael Clemons this whole post and thread are voided out

On 6/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, BettyBoop said:

It's mid-June and Jetnation is hysterical.  Every post is examined, scrutinized and slammed endlessly.  And it's freaking June!  On the other hand, what else do we have to do?

• Zach is throwing behind his receivers in freaking OTA!  Where will we find our new QB?  We won't have the assets to move up in the 2023 draft so how will we get our FQB of the future who will be throwing behind his receivers in the 2023 OTA?  Oh wait, ESPN say we're getting the #1 pick so there's hope!
  • The DL are on a pitch count!  Oh no!  How will the guys be ready if they're constantly being taken out of the game?  This will destroy QW!  Jermaine Johnson won't be given the chance to develop!  How will Carl Lawson regain his strength?  How will Bryce Huff recover?  How will Jacob Martin learn the system?  What will we do with all these pieces???
  • Where is Mehki Becton???  He needs to be here and practicing with the team!  Who cares that he just had a baby! I know a guy who just had a baby and he still plays Grand Theft Audo XXXIV every day!  And he's also 400lbs!
  • So many pundits say we will stink in 2022 and every one of their articles is posted here.  Well, if that doesn't tell you how bad we are going to be nothing will!

July is almost here and it will only get worse.  I can hardly wait!

Well I just walked my oldest daughter down the aisle on Sunday, other than that I got nothin 

• Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Congratulations.  Wishing the happy couple a lifetime of health and happiness.

Thanks MM

They are a couple of D&D dorks who cant dance, but they are great together

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2