Tyler Conklin starting to emerge as the NY Jets' top tight end

Bronx

https://thejetpress.com/posts/tyler-conklin-ny-jets-top-tight-end

The NY Jets have seen a few notable standouts from OTAs so far, but perhaps the most impressive player on offense has been tight end Tyler Conklin.

Conklin was signed to a three-year, $21 million contract by the Jets this offseason, and alongside the likes of C.J. Uzomah and Jeremy Ruckert, he'll look to transform a position that's been dormant in the Jets' offense for far too long.

While Uzomah and Ruckert have been sidelined nursing minor injuries, Conklin has taken advantage of every opportunity this spring. It's still early, but he's beginning to separate himself from the pack.

That was the sentiment shared by D.J. Bien-Aime of the New York Daily News who recently predicted that Conklin "will be the Jets TE1 by a decent margin." He isn't alone in his analysis either.

The Athletic's Connor Hughes had the following to say about Conklin's strong start to his Jets career.

""Conklin struggled some with drops during the Jets’ first media-open OTA, but he’s been much more sure-handed in the practices since. Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will use all tight ends at his disposal, but Conklin might be separating himself as the lead dog.""

Tyler Conklin could play an important role in the NY Jets offense

A fifth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Conklin spent the first four years of his career with the Minnesota Vikings where he primarily played a part-time role. That was until his final season with the Vikings in 2021 when he got the chance to start for the first time in his NFL career.

finished with 61 catches (T-7th in the NFC) for 593 yards and three touchdowns. He parlayed that success into a shiny new contract with the Jets this offseason.

Conklin wasn't the only free agent the Jets added at the position, however, as former Cincinnati Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah was signed to a similar contract in free agency.

The initial assumption was that Uzomah, who's being paid slightly more and has more starting experience, would be the team's top tight end entering the 2022 season, but Conklin is doing everything he can to change that.

Ultimately, the Jets will likely utilize both Conklin and Uzomah in their offense, and perhaps even a little bit of Ruckert. But right now, it's hard to argue that Conklin isn't the Jets' top tight end.

Don't be surprised if Tyler Conklin becomes a focal point of the offense by the season's end.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Just so I get this straight… Conklin is emerging as the top TE option while the other TEs are sidelined with injuries.  So, he’s performing better on the field than they are right now?

Jack Black Reaction GIF

He's performing better than Trevon Wesco, Kenny Yeboah and Lawrence Cager! Which is...encouraging, I guess?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I watched every single reception Uzomah had last season and about 50% of Conklin.  I stopped at that point because I felt like I'd seen enough to figure out who the starter was going to be.  Should 100% be Conklin.  Could be wrong and it might be somebody else, but I'd bet Conklin.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3

the bigger picture is that the jets have addressed this position better than they have for quite some time.  both uzomah and conklin are significant upgrades from griffen and kroft.  we've seen wilson make good use of te's when they've been in games.  of course it does help to keep them healthy.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

First sentence establishes there is no pack to separate from. Listen, I love the idea that TE could be better and fully support Conklin, but bad writing is bad writing. I hope you numb nuts don’t over react to this junk.

Honestly, I regret posting it. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bronx said:

Ultimately, the Jets will likely utilize both Conklin and Uzomah in their offense, and perhaps even a little bit of Ruckert. But right now, it's hard to argue that Conklin isn't the Jets' top tight end.

Don't be surprised if Tyler Conklin becomes a focal point of the offense by the season's end.

More of the same.

Contradictory statements. No idea the point the author is trying to make, apart from “words, words, words”.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In all faintness, you aren’t exactly known for starting threads with quality content.

It's okay and you have the rights for your opinion.  I try to help, that's all. It is a hit and miss with the copy and paste function. 

With all this said, I could post the most brilliant or pathetic post, you will find people that would support or be critical regardless.

The most important thing is that we are connected by our beloved team. No matter our differences in opinion, we all want to see our team succeed.

Thanks for the feedback anyways...I will be heading to the beach shortly, great day!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

The Athletic's Connor Hughes had the following to say about Conklin's strong start to his Jets career.

""Conklin struggled some with drops during the Jets’ first media-open OTA, but he’s been much more sure-handed in the practices since. Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will use all tight ends at his disposal, but Conklin might be separating himself as the lead dog.""

So his drops are part of a strong start to his Jets career.

Those same drops that upped Zach completion % that Connor bitched about?  

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Last year, the team made a mistake in ignoring the position, while Belichick splurged helping his rookie QB have a nice debut season. That’s what this is about. Establishing the running game and giving the QB easier options in the passing game. it’s about taking all the pressure off the QB that they can. 

Cant count how many times I've read that TE is a rookies best friend.

Make sense, when you go through your progressions and no WR is open, QBs look for their TE

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

First sentence establishes there is no pack to separate from. Listen, I love the idea that TE could be better and fully support Conklin, but bad writing is bad writing. I hope you numb nuts don’t over react to this junk.

71,000+ posts and you still can say that?!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, slats said:

In a nutshell, this. 

Conklin beating out two guys on stationary bikes isn’t the story, the story is that the Jets have completely revamped the TE position, and it figures to be a centerpiece of what they do offensively. The Jets will run a lot of 12/21 personnel, with the second TE on the line or in the backfield, and they will both run and pass from those formations. Zach, who seems to have little fear throwing over the middle, will now have a couple large targets to throw to rather than just a single diminutive slot receiver. There’s definitely a shift taking place. They lost Crowder, Cole, Kraft and Griffin, and added just one WR in GWilson and three TEs. This is by design. 

Last year, the team made a mistake in ignoring the position, while Belichick splurged helping his rookie QB have a nice debut season. That’s what this is about. Establishing the running game and giving the QB easier options in the passing game. It’s about taking all the pressure off the QB that they can. 

Well said (written).  Completely agree.  Like these posts so much better than the snarky responses.  Although it was a pretty weak article.  LOL.

On Conklin, he flashed big time on the tape I watched.  His get off and short area burst jumped out to me and it was clear that Cousins looked to him often.  So much when the play broke down that Conklin’s catch to target ratio was hurt a bit by a lot of contested jump balls.  I think that showed his trust in Conklin even though Conklin had some drops.  

The one thing that Conklin cannot do is break tackles.  Other than that, he’s a reliable receiver with some athleticism and a good blocker.  Surprised the Vikings let him go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Well said (written).  Completely agree.  Like these posts so much better than the snarky responses.  Although it was a pretty weak article.  LOL.

On Conklin, he flashed big time on the tape I watched.  His get off and short area burst jumped out to me and it was clear that Cousins looked to him often.  So much when the play broke down that Conklin’s catch to target ratio was hurt a bit by a lot of contested jump balls.  I think that showed his trust in Conklin even though Conklin had some drops.  

The one thing that Conklin cannot do is break tackles.  Other than that, he’s a reliable receiver with some athleticism and a good blocker.  Surprised the Vikings let him go.

Conklin was let go because they had Chris Herndon ready to fill the position 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

It's okay and you have the rights for your opinion.  I try to help, that's all. It is a hit and miss with the copy and paste function. 

With all this said, I could post the most brilliant or pathetic post, you will find people that would support or be critical regardless.

The most important thing is that we are connected by our beloved team. No matter our differences in opinion, we all want to see our team succeed.

Thanks for the feedback anyways...I will be heading to the beach shortly, great day!

I actually enjoy your threads very much. Your own opinions are also very fair and centered. Never too much on one side or the other. We can disagree and still enjoy the content. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Conky!!!!

Yeah, how did Uzomah get in the clique so fast?  I tried to trace him back to zach, feeney and berrios but i could not do it.

Uzomah was brought in just as much for the person he is as the player he is. True team guy. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

In a nutshell, this. 

Conklin beating out two guys on stationary bikes isn’t the story, the story is that the Jets have completely revamped the TE position, and it figures to be a centerpiece of what they do offensively. The Jets will run a lot of 12/21 personnel, with the second TE on the line or in the backfield, and they will both run and pass from those formations. Zach, who seems to have little fear throwing over the middle, will now have a couple large targets to throw to rather than just a single diminutive slot receiver. There’s definitely a shift taking place. They lost Crowder, Cole, Kraft and Griffin, and added just one WR in GWilson and three TEs. This is by design. 

Last year, the team made a mistake in ignoring the position, while Belichick splurged helping his rookie QB have a nice debut season. That’s what this is about. Establishing the running game and giving the QB easier options in the passing game. It’s about taking all the pressure off the QB that they can. 

right.  watch out for the people who think this is bad because it's ground and pound.  the surest way to protect a qb is to have a superior run game.  and running the ball doesn't just mean hand offs.  these days a run game can mean many short passes. the jets are poised to do just that.  it's going to be ball control and very fun to watch the jets push the ball down field.

Soooo, I understand it's June and we're desperate for anything to talk about, especially if it's positive BUT... He was literally the only one of the 3 on the practice field. You could even argue he was legitimately the only NFL caliber TE in the entire OTA's. Of course he's separating himself. He put some separation from the other two just from putting cleats on and doing warm ups. Let's see what TC and preseason look like. I'm praying that one of the 3 will finally provide some contribution from the TE position. Tbh, I don't really care which one it is. 

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

More of the same.

Contradictory statements. No idea the point the author is trying to make, apart from “words, words, words”.

In all faintness, you aren’t exactly known for starting threads with quality content.

Yes, yes, yes. ⬆️?