Cimini: Jets Don’t Expect Becton to Practice During Mandatory Mini Camp

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  get the sense the Jets were concerned with being wrong on the timetable.  I do think it took longer because Becton got out of shape and put on weight but there was no way a guy whonis as big as Becton was coming back from that in a few weeks. I though it was an ACL or MCL. 

Pretty early on we were told that it was a dislocated knee cap, mcl damage, and cartilage damage. When I heard the time table I thought it was ludicrous. It was pretty obvious that a 360 lb person would not heal AND be in game shape in 4-6 weeks on that kind of injury. I figured he would miss most if not all of the season especially considering he had missed some of the off season with a foot injury. The team botched this one. I’m sure Mekhi could have done more and isn’t free from blame, but the initial time frame given was waaay too optimistic. 

• Upvote 4

The bottom line- and Becton detractors (as well as impatient jet fans and old-school rigid football fans will hate this)- is that we just need to wait and see until mandatory practice starts and, really, until any kind of meaningful games start. 

Because the Jets will not be cutting or trading Becton if he shows up out of shape or shows up and doesn't look great in practice. They will get no value in a trade and cutting him would make no financial sense (unless he is SO BAD he can't make the final roster cuts). They will give him every opportunity.

And it only matters when the season starts and that is when we will truly see if he has come back from his injury, or not. If he cares about football, or not. If he is a player worth keeping around, or not. If he can outplay the bottom barrel depth to make the roster cuts, or not.   

But right now, its just the boredom of the offseason getting to fans (and media alike). We all need something to yell about. We all need something to speculate about. We all need a good story. So lets see what he weighs in at and go crazy on the forums once that number becomes public. LMFAO. 

image.thumb.png.1af148b7804bdf6ceadd777f966514ed.png

If the injury was more severe than first thought or if he had a set back, the team would've reported it.  They gain nothing by letting their top tackle hang in the wind and be subject to online ridicule. 

Becton half assed rehab during the season and then went home and cut off contact.  

I'm still shocked they didn't draft a tackle. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

Pretty early on we were told that it was a dislocated knee cap, mcl damage, and cartilage damage. When I heard the time table I thought it was ludicrous. It was pretty obvious that a 360 lb person would not heal AND be in game shape in 4-6 weeks on that kind of injury. I figured he would miss most if not all of the season especially considering he had missed some of the off season with a foot injury. The team botched this one. I’m sure Mekhi could have done more and isn’t free from blame, but the initial time frame given was waaay too optimistic. 

Who is this mythical 360 pound person you're talking about?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I am pretty sure that they put him on IR on September 21st and I don't think he had the surgery until the 22nd.  That doesn't mean much.  The IR rule are much more lax than previously and lets guys return after brief recovery periods.  The days where anybody on IR had to sit the season are over.  Still, I think Becton was on IR pretty much the entire season.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to Becton, Saleh is the worst HC in the NFL and has often seemed clueless on how to tell the truth through the media without throwing his players under the bus. 

The CS and management obviously handled this poorly but saying Saleh is at the worst coach in the league for it

image.gif.73f89d090a7c69090a39963ef2ca3118.gif

• Upvote 1

I've said this before but I've got a buddy who was a top level prep school hockey player who had the same injury and surgery and never fully recovered.  I bet that Saleh learned a lesson here that he has to be careful about being overly optimistic on a payer's recovery time, as it can create a backlash against the player, which really isn't fair.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The other piece of this puzzle that still sticks out like a sore thumb is that if the Jets were truly worried about Becton or Fant's availability, wouldn't they have used #4 on the highest rated LT on their board? 

The offensive line looked very solid towards the end of the year without Becton.  They also know Becton will be healthy in time for the season and will be an upgrade over our RT situation, at the very least. So they addressed bigger needs at CB and WR. 

The fact that he is healthy and will be at camp is literally all that matters. Whether he practices this week or in a few weeks means nothing since the season doesn't start for months. 

If Becton isn't practicing in August THEN I will be nervous but there is zero reason to think that is where this situation is trending. But it's June so this is a big story. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The other HC's who were in the argument were fired.  

There was a point at the end of the season where Saleh said something about how he was unhappy with Bectons attitude. I can’t find the quote as it was a small dig and he went on talking about something else, but it was kind of a head scratcher. I was surprised when I heard it as you could hear the frustration in his voice, then after that it was a different narrative when talking about Becton. 

The whole situation is absolutely frustrating, a great off season and now we have this issue. I try to be optimistic but that sh*t is wearing thin, very thin.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

There was a point at the end of the season where Saleh said something about how he was unhappy with Bectons attitude. I can’t find the quote as it was a small dig and he went on talking about something else, but it was kind of a head scratcher. I was surprised when I heard it as you could hear the frustration in his voice, then after that it was a different narrative when talking about Becton. 

The whole situation is absolutely frustrating, a great off season and now we have this issue. I try to be optimistic but that sh*t is wearing thin, very thin.

Keep your eye on the ball.  The Jets have improved their roster.  Zach and Saleh were horrendous in their rookie years.  If they both step up the Jets are in very good shape.   The HC and the QB.  Everything else is simply noise.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Not so much we knew this, more like we're completely used to this. As far as I'm concerned the only way he could be more of a bum is if he hobbled up to my car at a red light to squeegee my windshield.   

To be fair he could likely do the whole thing from only one side of the car. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

The bottom line- and Becton detractors (as well as impatient jet fans and old-school rigid football fans will hate this)- is that we just need to wait and see until mandatory practice starts and, really, until any kind of meaningful games start. 

Because the Jets will not be cutting or trading Becton if he shows up out of shape or shows up and doesn't look great in practice. They will get no value in a trade and cutting him would make no financial sense (unless he is SO BAD he can't make the final roster cuts). They will give him every opportunity.

And it only matters when the season starts and that is when we will truly see if he has come back from his injury, or not. If he cares about football, or not. If he is a player worth keeping around, or not. If he can outplay the bottom barrel depth to make the roster cuts, or not.   

But right now, its just the boredom of the offseason getting to fans (and media alike). We all need something to yell about. We all need something to speculate about. We all need a good story. So lets see what he weighs in at and go crazy on the forums once that number becomes public. LMFAO. 

image.thumb.png.1af148b7804bdf6ceadd777f966514ed.png

I hope they release the weight in Kilos.  

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Keep your eye on the ball.  The Jets have improved their roster.  Zach and Saleh were horrendous in their rookie years.  If they both step up the Jets are in very good shape.   The HC and the QB.  Everything else is simply noise.

I am with you on that.  I see the positive changes and I like where we are headed, I support whoever is wearing a Jets uniform. It’s just like beaten dog syndrome when it comes to this team sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm still shocked they didn't draft a tackle. 

The fact that they didn't sign or draft a tackle is the most fascinating piece of this.

Pretty much every other piece of news about Becton, the coaching staff's view of Becton, the injury, the process, OTAs, etc. would give you the impression that they were likely moving on from him, that they weren't happy with him, that he wasn't in their long term plans.

And yet, the way they ran their offseason they very much operated as though he was inked in as their Day 1 started without much consideration that he might not be... In what is clearly a crucial season for Douglas, Saleh, Wilson, and everyone else involved.

Will be curious to see if this ends up working out or if it ends up looking like a huge miscalculation by Douglas based on being attached to his draft pick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The fact that they didn't sign or draft a tackle is the most fascinating piece of this.

Pretty much every other piece of news about Becton, the coaching staff's view of Becton, the injury, the process, OTAs, etc. would give you the impression that they were likely moving on from him, that they weren't happy with him, that he wasn't in their long term plans.

And yet, the way they ran their offseason they very much operated as though he was inked in as their Day 1 started without much consideration that he might not be... In what is clearly a crucial season for Douglas, Saleh, Wilson, and everyone else involved.

Will be curious to see if this ends up working out or if it ends up looking like a huge miscalculation by Douglas based on being attached to his draft pick.

Agreed.

It could very well be they just don't know.  

Becton broke off contact and left town.  Hard to spend a top pick on someone you don't know if you need.  They did draft the kid later who could play if needed. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

The theorists do seem to dismiss the fact that the biggest move the Jets made at tackle this year was to let Moses go. Doesn’t exactly scream concern. 

But they offered more than what he signed for.  Just not the guaranteed starting job. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The theorists do seem to dismiss the fact that the biggest move the Jets made at tackle this year was to let Moses go. Doesn’t exactly scream concern. 

Agree.  Conflicting "clues" abound.  The Becton story is making the off season more interesting than usual.  There are fans taking both sides of the Becton fence in discourse, but not a single one is sure of what is really going on.

Although I really hope he crushes it this season, I'm not optimistic.  I don't expect we'll see him own the starting job in 2022 and I don't expect that he'll be on the roster in 2023. 

We'll all know soon.  

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think we all kind of knew this. Wouldn’t expect tons of reps in training camp either. Very few if any against  Carl Lawson.  Kid needs to be built back up slowly. I know, I know, blah blah blah, but he does, so deal with it. Thanks. 

Build back at whatever pace is necessary, but there needs to be a better plan B/C at OT in place than a group consisting of Chuma Edoga, Conor McDermott, Parker Ferguson, and rookie Max Mitchell. 

None of those guys, outside of perhaps Mitchell (if he develops quickly), should see the field for a single snap this year.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The other piece of this puzzle that still sticks out like a sore thumb is that if the Jets were truly worried about Becton or Fant's availability, wouldn't they have used #4 on the highest rated LT on their board? 

Just how many 1st rounders (top 15 picks, no less) do you guys want an Offensive Line guru using on Offensive Linemen?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately the Jets are going to have to invest in Reiff, which probably puts their top 6 OL top 5 in the NFL in cap space.  It will be a decent line, not a top 5 OL.  

By doing that the Jets will not have the cap space to invest in another LB or maybe IDL.   That should be the answer, as the most important goal of this season is put Wilson in the best position to succeed.  He can lose 34-31 if necessary.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sackdance said:

Not so much we knew this, more like we're completely used to this. As far as I'm concerned the only way he could be more of a bum is if he hobbled up to my car at a red light to squeegee my windshield.   

I don't know about that, but I'd 100% welcome Braxton Berrios washing my car in a white tank top.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

the Jets also signed two washed place kickers

just because JD doesn't seem concerned doesn't mean he fixed (or even recognizes) the problem

JD is in the JD business and it's good for JD business for Becton to work out. So he doesn't consider the idea that he can't. 

Ditto Zach and every other JD pick. If it's a Mac Pick like QW ooo wee that player is a flawed POS

meanwhile JD treats his draft picks like gems. How is Jabari Zuniga still on this roster?

Becton still has all of JD's faith because Becton being good is a positive outcome for JD's GM career. it has very little to do with the reality of what's happening. It's all a utopian projection like the Jets themselves. This team has won 6 games in 2 years and fools are betting on Super Bowl wins. 

TL;DR they needed Ikey but they passed because they didn't want to admit their tackles are a problem 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1