Cimini: Jets Don’t Expect Becton to Practice During Mandatory Mini Camp

Mekhi-Becton--scaled.jpg

In a small tidbit from Rich Cimini of ESPN.com that should go over like a lead balloon with Jets fans, it appears the team does not expect offensive tackle Mekhi Becton to practice during the team’s upcoming mini camp.  Check the excerpt below.

3. Here comes Mekhi: Minicamp runs Tuesday and Wednesday. Unlike OTA practices, minicamp is mandatory. Saleh expects every player to attend, including tackle Mekhi Becton, who didn’t participate in the nine weeks of voluntary work. The Monday pre-camp physical will be the organization’s first in-person look at him since the end of the season. He’s not expected to practice.

So if Cimini is right, this would mean Becton will have missed nine months of action after he was reportedly going to miss 4-5 weeks.  This would also mean that the medical staff was off by no fewer than 30 weeks in their prognosis.

Fans can be up in arms all they like in regards to their franchise left tackle’s injury potentially dragging on for close to a year, but is the team’s error Becton’s fault?  Becton wasn’t the one who told fans he’d miss just over a month.  That was the team.  In fact, Becton sounded hopeful late in the season that he’d see the field before the season ended.

Is it possible the team was just wrong about his prognosis every step of the way?  Was Becton being given the same information that the fans were?  That playing in 2021 was a possibility?  If so, somebody dropped the ball.

It’s no secret that teams aren’t always 100% forthcoming in regards to injuries, but rarely will you see them project a 4-5 week return when a player may miss up to a year.

Every time the team address the Becton situation it reminds Jets fans just how poorly their projection was and the hysteria over the missed time starts all over again.  But in all reality, if the Jets recognized the fact that they handled it poorly out of the gate and now want to take a cautious approach, it’s probably the best thing for all parties.

The post Cimini: Jets Don’t Expect Becton to Practice During Mandatory Mini Camp appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

That is downright disgraceful and to be honest reflects badly on all involved. 

Too many red flags to ignore with Becton. I don't know how anyone could be confident that this guy will stay healthy and play at a high level. 

not. i fully expect him to have another season ending injury this year

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Too many red flags to ignore with Becton. I don't know how anyone could be confident that this guy will stay healthy and play at a high level. 

I'd say it's because he had no injury issues in college, had a minor injury as a rookie that was made worse by the idiot staff that put him back on the field too soon and last year a guard got tossed on to the back of his leg.  No matter how big a lineman is, he's not built to take 300+ pounds of force on the back of his leg while he's trying to balance/block somebody.

As far as this injury time frame, it's more on the staff than it is on Becton IMO.  He was tweeting out late in the season that he was expecting to play at some point.  There would be no reason at all to address that possibility if the team hadn't told him he'd see the field.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some legitimate concerns, but it's not as if he's had a bunch of ticky tack nagging injuries over 4-5 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Everybody is at fault except Becton, lol. 

We blaming Becton for a horribly inaccurate prognosis?  Should he have performed the surgery too?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AFJF said:

As far as this injury time frame, it's more on the staff than it is on Becton IMO.  He was tweeting out late in the season that he was expecting to play at some point.  There would be no reason at all to address that possibility if the team hadn't told him he'd see the field.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some legitimate concerns, but it's not as if he's had a bunch of ticky tack nagging injuries over 4-5 years.

The staff haven't taken any responsibility for it though. It would be easy for Saleh to publicly say "that's on us" but he hasn't.

There's obviously been a conflict of opinion between the Jets and Becton's team on his injury and I don't think that's been resolved. His "world class" coach was ridiculing the Jets on social media for it not long ago. The fact that he then doesn't show for workouts when he needs the work more than anyone is not something that can be dismissed. 

There were always concerns with a guy of Becton's athletic profile getting lingering injury or weight issues. Unnaturally large people often have them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

The staff haven't taken any responsibility for it though. It would be easy for Saleh to publicly say "that's on us" but he hasn't.

There's obviously been a conflict of opinion between the Jets and Becton's team on his injury and I don't think that's been resolved. His "world class" coach was ridiculing the Jets on social media for it not long ago. The fact that he then doesn't show for workouts when he needs the work more than anyone is not something that can be dismissed. 

There were always concerns with a guy of Becton's athletic profile getting lingering injury or weight issues. Unnaturally large people often have them.

It's 2022.  When does anyone take responsibility for anything nowadays?  There are two options. 

1) blame somebody else

2) Refuse to acknowledge.

And he's not showing up for Jets workouts.  Would I rather he did?  Sure.  But does that mean he's not working out?  Not at all.  Those are two entirely different things.  If he shows up to mini camp this week overweight then there won't be a bigger critic than me.  If I had to bet I'd say he comes in 30-40 pounds lighter than how he ended the season and will keep working.  If he doesn't....adios.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

First off we are just learning this is a knee cap injury so the Jets were not forthcoming with the fans about his injury. I remember a WR, I think it was Mike Quick who dislocated both of his kneecaps when his cleats got caught  in the rug they used in Philly I believe. This was a guy that was probably  under 200 lbs and he was out for an entire year and came back from the injury without getting injured again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with Becton, nothing to do with him being injury prone and everything to do with the Jets organization selling the fans a line of ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

In fairness to Becton, Saleh is the worst HC in the NFL and has often seemed clueless on how to tell the truth through the media without throwing his players under the bus. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Can I ask you, have you ever been married to a pregnant woman. If you have and you tell me your wife in the last trimester would have been ok with you leaving her for 9 weeks, I would be telling you to lock up the knives when come back home. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I didn't say he isn't working out but he needs to be with the team more than anyone. He will be on a new line with new teammates after missing a full year. 

The problem with Becton is this - Going over the predicted timetable was predictable. Him not showing was predictable. If there was one player Jets fans knew wasn't going to show it was him. You know it. I know it. 

We don't disagree in that he should have been there and the importance of it for him.  There's a reason why fans are pissed at him but not pissed at George Fant.  Fant is coming off of his best season as a pro so he gets some leeway.  Becton is coming off of an entire missed season and fans want him to be more invested.  I don't disagree at all.

However, it's not as if he's not putting in work.  For those who are skeptical, we'll know in a few days if he kept packing on the pounds or if he got himself right and dropped the weight.

And while we can agree or disagree on whether or not he should have missed time for the birth of his kid, that's not something any of us knew would be happening six or seven months ago so that would/should change expectations in regards to whether or not he'll be there.  If no kid on the way I'd have said 100% chance he's at voluntary camps.  Tell me there's a kid on the way and it becomes 50/50 at best.

6 minutes ago, freestater said:

13 games in two years. Begs out of games anytime his tummy hurts. Go right ahead and defend this guy all you want. I think the majority of us have a pretty good idea how this all ends up. 

Do you have a link to the time he begged his way out of a game when his tummy hurt?  I missed that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I didn't say he isn't working out but he needs to be with the team more than anyone. He will be on a new line with new teammates after missing a full year. 

The problem with Becton is this - Going over the predicted timetable was predictable. Him not showing was predictable. If there was one player Jets fans knew wasn't going to show it was him. You know it. I know it. 

It's not as if the team is running actual practices in OTA's this year.   From what we know it appears the Jets OTA's is an all day buffett.  In which case it makes sense to hold Becton out of them. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

First off we are just learning this is a knee cap injury so the Jets were not forthcoming with the fans about his injury. I remember a WR, I think it was Mike Quick who dislocated both of his kneecaps when his cleats got caught  in the rug they used in Philly I believe. This was a guy that was probably  under 200 lbs and he was out for an entire year and came back from the injury without getting injured again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with Becton, nothing to do with him being injury prone and everything to do with the Jets organization selling the fans a line of ?

I hope you're right here, 

but why would they want to undermine their 1st round T?  Seems insane to tell the public the injury is 6-8 weeks when they know it's actually 10 months.  

Seriously, I hope you're right and for some reason the Jets decided to sh*t on Becton - and he comes back and plays 17 games at a high level.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hope you're right here, 

but why would they want to undermine their 1st round T?  Seems insane to tell the public the injury is 6-8 weeks when they know it's actually 10 months.  

Seriously, I hope you're right and for some reason the Jets decided to sh*t on Becton - and he comes back and plays 17 games at a high level.  

Incompetent organization.  

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Incompetent organization.  

Just pulled up an old article.

Knee Cap injury - 4-5 weeks.  Written last Sept.  

I think they knew the issue and were forthcoming with it ...

Jets starting left tackle Mekhi Becton will miss four to five weeks after suffering a knee cap dislocation in Sunday's loss to the Carolina Panthers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-lt-mekhi-becton-suffered-knee-cap-dislocation-in-loss-to-panthers

I really want to believe this was really an 8 to 10 month injury and the Jets were wrong - but I just get a strange vibe about the whole thing.

Although, I will say, I can't imagine it was 4-6 weeks though either.   That's where incompetence was clear - they can't make public a date like that and be this wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets starting left tackle Mekhi Becton will miss four to five weeks after suffering a knee cap dislocation in Sunday's loss to the Carolina Panthers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-lt-mekhi-becton-suffered-knee-cap-dislocation-in-loss-to-panthers

I really want to believe this was really an 8 to 10 month injury and the Jets were wrong - but I just get a strange vibe about the whole thing.

Although, I will say, I can't imagine it was 4-6 weeks though either.   That's where incompetence was clear - they can't make public a date like that and be this wrong.

I really don't  get the sense the Jets were concerned with being wrong on the timetable.  I do think it took longer because Becton got out of shape and put on weight but there was no way a guy whonis as big as Becton was coming back from that in a few weeks. I though it was an ACL or MCL. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fidelio. I stated this before but Klecko had a similar or same injury years ago early in the season he came back in time for the playoffs but was a shell of himself and was actually a liability during the game. He was still hampered by the injury the beginning of the next season as well if I remember correctly. 
Granted,  there are concerns about Becton but let’s see how he looks and plays in training camp before we all rush to judgment 

• Upvote 1