Jump to content

Cimini: Jets Don’t Expect Becton to Practice During Mandatory Mini Camp


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Can I ask you, have you ever been married to a pregnant woman. If you have and you tell me your wife in the last trimester would have been ok with you leaving her for 9 weeks, I would be telling you to lock up the knives when come back home. 

He didn’t have to come for the full 9 weeks. Many spouses are out of town for work within days before and after child birth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, section314 said:

The other piece of this puzzle that still sticks out like a sore thumb is that if the Jets were truly worried about Becton or Fant's availability, wouldn't they have used #4 on the highest rated LT on their board? 

I thought we were taking Ickey. I think JD was holding out hope. Need to get on signing a solid FA. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

@Irish Jet  Look, the more you talk, the more I can tell you never had kids. 

The more you talk I can see you have no clue how pro sports works. Most players leave the team for the birth of their child. They miss one game if that birth comes during a weekend . I have never in all my years watching sports seen a player take off 9 weeks to be with their wives during the third trimester to even say that is ridiculous.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The more you talk I can see you have no clue how pro sports works. Most players leave the team for the birth of their child. They miss one game if that birth comes during a weekend . I have never in all my years watching sports seen a player take off 9 weeks to be with their wives during the third trimester to even say that is ridiculous.

 In the offseason and during VOLUNTARY workouts right? And he didn’t take off he was  working with duke along with bunch of other Olineman fron around the league.  Some of u dudes go way over top trying to tell players how they should live there lives. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

 In the offseason and during VOLUNTARY workouts right? And he didn’t take off he was  working with duke along with bunch of other Olineman fron around the league.  Some of u dudes go way over top trying to tell players how they should live there lives. 

I was responding to one thing here that was said about 9 weeks off not how a player should live their life. Only one going over the top here is you. 

IMHO Becton could have showed up for the workouts and meeting's and still had plenty of time to go home and be with his family. Its not like Mini Camps and OTA's are training camp where you spend much more time eating breathing football. He's also being paid millions of dollars to be a football player and I'm sure the few hours a day he would have been at the facility his wife was very capable of taking care of the baby until he got home.

In all my years watching sports I have never seen a player take more than one game or 3-4 days for the birth of their child until now. This being a player who currently has 1 game in the new system. 1 game !! 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Didn’t expect him or anyone else to do much anyway. Saleh already said the tone of minicamp will be very similar to OTA’s. 

Probably pushing more of the mental aspect of the game (meetings etc...) and their schemes which is fine with me after the rash of injuries we had to deal with in recent years

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I was responding to one thing here that was said about 9 weeks off not how a player should live their life. Only one going over the top here is you. 

IMHO Becton could have showed up for the workouts and meeting's and still had plenty of time to go home and be with his family. Its not like Mini Camps and OTA's are training camp where you spend much more time eating breathing football. He's also being paid millions of dollars to be a football player and I'm sure the few hours a day he would have been at the facility his wife was very capable of taking care of the baby until he got home.

In all my years watching sports I have never seen a player take more than one game or 3-4 days for the birth of their child until now. This being a player who currently has 1 game in the new system. 1 game !! 

Thats the problem your not him and dont know his life. So your opinion doesn’t really matter.  comparing the birth  of his child to a in the season situation is pointless. There was no reason to rush back there was no games to be played. He decided to stay close to his wife and train where he felt comfortable. He was transparent about it. Yet yall continue whine about everything.

alot players are reporting to there teams for the first time this week. Where’s the outrage? 
 

only thing i need from becton is show up in august and perform to high level he is capable of. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

He didn’t have to come for the full 9 weeks. Many spouses are out of town for work within days before and after child birth. 

Yeah, for like a day. I still don't  see what the big deal is. Fant didn't  show up either and nobody is losing their mind over that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The more you talk I can see you have no clue how pro sports works. Most players leave the team for the birth of their child. They miss one game if that birth comes during a weekend . I have never in all my years watching sports seen a player take off 9 weeks to be with their wives during the third trimester to even say that is ridiculous.

That is during the regular season. I never heard of a player leaving his wife when she was pregnant to go be with the team during an offseason event.

I also have to say Fant wasn't  there the entire OTA and we have no idea what he is doing. Where is the outrage on that? I am personally more worried He goes back to playing like a backup than I am that Becton is going to suck because missed OTA's. Had Becton not been hurt, you can be sure Fant would have been present. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I was responding to one thing here that was said about 9 weeks off not how a player should live their life. Only one going over the top here is you. 

IMHO Becton could have showed up for the workouts and meeting's and still had plenty of time to go home and be with his family. Its not like Mini Camps and OTA's are training camp where you spend much more time eating breathing football. He's also being paid millions of dollars to be a football player and I'm sure the few hours a day he would have been at the facility his wife was very capable of taking care of the baby until he got home.

In all my years watching sports I have never seen a player take more than one game or 3-4 days for the birth of their child until now. This being a player who currently has 1 game in the new system. 1 game !! 

There are clearly issues between Becton and the team beyond his injury or baby, but he didn’t take nine weeks off, he chose not to show up to a couple voluntary camps. Big difference. Once it was mandatory, he was there. He doesn’t get paid for showing up to OTAs, he has no workout bonuses in his contract (although I’m pretty sure he will in his next one), he gets paid on game days. Usually players use a bit of the old rhythm method to schedule their kids in the offseason, and that’s what he managed to do, too. He’s not missing any games over this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I was responding to one thing here that was said about 9 weeks off not how a player should live their life. Only one going over the top here is you. 

IMHO Becton could have showed up for the workouts and meeting's and still had plenty of time to go home and be with his family. Its not like Mini Camps and OTA's are training camp where you spend much more time eating breathing football. He's also being paid millions of dollars to be a football player and I'm sure the few hours a day he would have been at the facility his wife was very capable of taking care of the baby until he got home.

In all my years watching sports I have never seen a player take more than one game or 3-4 days for the birth of their child until now. This being a player who currently has 1 game in the new system. 1 game !! 

1: he didn’t take 9 weeks off. It’s the offseason and the activities he’s missed are voluntary.

2: how much he makes is irrelevant to the situation at hand. See #1 above. 

3: there is not a game at risk here. See #1 above. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, the Claw said:

1: he didn’t take 9 weeks off. It’s the offseason and the activities he’s missed are voluntary.

2: how much he makes is irrelevant to the situation at hand. See #1 above. 

3: there is not a game at risk here. See #1 above. 

I mean everything is relevant lol. That’s why we root for the team. If he’s actually in shape then skipping voluntaries I guess wouldn’t matter. But he’s never been in shape since he’s been here.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean everything is relevant lol. That’s why we root for the team. If he’s actually in shape then skipping voluntaries I guess wouldn’t matter. But he’s never been in shape since he’s been here.

Yes, but if he's still rehabbing as JD has stated - then why leave his rehab routine just to stand on the sideline?

Assuming JD isn't lying, which I imagine he isn't,  I would rather him continue his rehab than come to OTA's just to silent the fan base.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, but if he's still rehabbing as JD has stated - then why leave his rehab routine just to stand on the sideline?

Assuming JD isn't lying, which I imagine he isn't,  I would rather him continue his rehab than come to OTA's just to silent the fan base.

 

 

Rehabbing his weight? This at this point is entirely weight related. He’s gotta get his diet in gear if he wants to be a football player.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

He shouldn't have ballooned to 400 lbs. End of story. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/jets-lineman-mekhi-becton-400-pounds/595894

Recovery time is six months regardless of weight.  Why are so many people struggling this much to understand a very simple/basic fact?

 

His weight had zero to do with the Jets blowing the prognosis.

 

End of story.

 

 

Edited by AFJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Recovery time is six months regardless of weight.  Why are so many people struggling this much to understand a very simple/basic fact?

 

His weight had zero to do with the Jets blowing the prognosis.

 

End of story.

 

 

He had an arthroscopic procedure to clean up cartilage not a hip replacement. This has turned into a 10 month recovery because he’s overweight. That’s really it.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Recovery time is six months regardless of weight.  Why are so many people struggling this much to understand a very simple/basic fact?

 

His weight had zero to do with the Jets blowing the prognosis.

 

End of story.

 

 

Oh really, where do your facts come from? " Medical practitioners have long advised patients to lose weight before knee surgery. Patients living with obesity, defined by a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher, are especially warned of surgical complications, risk of infection and poor outcomes due to their high BMI.Jan 29, 2021:

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the Claw said:

1: he didn’t take 9 weeks off. It’s the offseason and the activities he’s missed are voluntary.

2: how much he makes is irrelevant to the situation at hand. See #1 above. 

3: there is not a game at risk here. See #1 above. 

 

2 hours ago, slats said:

There are clearly issues between Becton and the team beyond his injury or baby, but he didn’t take nine weeks off, he chose not to show up to a couple voluntary camps. Big difference. Once it was mandatory, he was there. He doesn’t get paid for showing up to OTAs, he has no workout bonuses in his contract (although I’m pretty sure he will in his next one), he gets paid on game days. Usually players use a bit of the old rhythm method to schedule their kids in the offseason, and that’s what he managed to do, too. He’s not missing any games over this. 

Did  either of you read what I responded too ? I was not the one who brought up 9 weeks and I made it clear to stay away for those 9 weeks would have been ridiculous. I have no idea where he got that number 

Becton has played one game in this system If he felt it a better idea to stay home watching a new born sleep most of the time which they do early on then that's his choice .

As @Matt39 explained the guy has not put in the effort of being in shape since he got here he could have been here for meeting's with his fellow OL players and still spent plenty of time with his wife and kid. At this point all he is doing is working out to get in shape he could take that program and continue it at the Jets facility to at least be up on what the team is doing. Now he will come into camp behind the other players if you think he wont be behind think again.

When it comes to vets like Fant the guy played at a pro bowl level especially in pass protection he's not the guy who has been feeling the heat. Becton knows the spotlight is on him and it seems not to bother him much. His second contract is on the line and whole I'm a Jets fan and I'm pulling for Becton to be a top RT or LT in this league everything we discuss here is speculation anyway but I , as a fan would have liked to see Becton at least be around his fellow players .

As for a game being at risk I was merely making a point as to how pretty much every player handles these situations. Games are missed when players have babies . My point for making that observation is at this stage Becton may very well be fighting for his job if the Jets decide to make another move on a RT or LT plus there is the unknown of what Mitchell might turn out to be. 

So in Summary, If I'm Becton I'm taking this very seriously. I hope he is.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, for like a day. I still don't  see what the big deal is. Fant didn't  show up either and nobody is losing their mind over that. 

Right, makes sense. And Lawson is not practicing and no one is losing their mind. Becton just feels different, and it's probably in part that he was a first rounder and such an important position. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

Oh really, where do your facts come from? " Medical practitioners have long advised patients to lose weight before knee surgery. Patients living with obesity, defined by a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher, are especially warned of surgical complications, risk of infection and poor outcomes due to their high BMI.Jan 29, 2021:

From the orthopedic surgeon I worked with as a medic.  I Was able to first strike up a conversation when I saw that he'd trained under Dr. James Andrews who you may have heard of.

And what you posted are generic pre-op instructions that would be given to just about anyone having hip/knee/ankle surgery.

Now post normal recovery times for the actual specificic surgery Becton had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Right, makes sense. And Lawson is not practicing and no one is losing their mind. Becton just feels different, and it's probably in part that he was a first rounder and such an important position. 

The Lawson/Becton dichotomy of Fan Treatment IS an interesting one.

Because the two are very much not being treated the same by Fans.

One could argue the Lawson injury cost the Jets vastly more (in salary, in lost productivity) than the Becton injury.  After all, Fant did effectively step in and played well in 2021.

Meanwhile, the Jets pass rush was borderline non-existent without Lawson, who has never played a snap for us as yet.

Yet 100% of the Fan anger is aimed at Becton, a cheap $$ cost draft pick with (at least last year) an adequate backup, and almost nothing is aimed at Lawson, a big $$$ FA who has done less then Becton in a Jets uniform.  

It's very interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

From the orthopedic surgeon I worked with as a medic.  I Was able to first strike up a conversation when I saw that he'd trained under Dr. James Andrews who you may have heard of.

And what you posted are generic pre-op instructions that would be given to just about anyone having hip/knee/ankle surgery.

Now post normal recovery times for the actual specificic surgery Becton had.

It is 9 months. You claimed weight had nothing to do with recovery time. I gave you an article, now you give me one which specifically says that weight has nothing to do with recovery time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Lawson/Becton dichotomy of Fan Treatment IS an interesting one.

Because the two are very much not being treated the same by Fans.

One could argue the Lawson injury cost the Jets vastly more (in salary, in lost productivity) than the Becton injury.  After all, Fant did effectively step in and played well in 2021.

Meanwhile, the Jets pass rush was borderline non-existent without Lawson, who has never played a snap for us as yet.

Yet 100% of the Fan anger is aimed at Becton, a cheap $$ cost draft pick with (at least last year) an adequate backup, and almost nothing is aimed at Lawson, a big $$$ FA who has done less then Becton in a Jets uniform.  

It's very interesting.

One is a relentless worker that had a bad luck injury, but has been working hard to get back.

One isn't a relentless worker that had a bad luck injury, ballooned to 400 lbs, posts about video games all the time, and now looks to be about 40-50 lbs overweight still.

 

Sad part is Becton has such amazing God given gifts and could rule the league if he just cared a little. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One is a relentless worker that had a bad luck injury, but has been working hard to get back.

I don't know that to be true.  All I know of Lawson is he took a big salary, immediately got hurt, and hasn't been seen nor heard from again as yet.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One isn't a relentless worker that had a bad luck injury, ballooned to 400 lbs, posts about video games all the time, and now looks to be about 40-50 lbs overweight still.

I guess we'll find out Preseason week 1.  If he's still hurt, fat or out of shape then.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Sad part is Becton has such amazing God given gifts and could rule the league if he just cared a little. 

Talent is one of the cheapest commodities on earth.  It's rarely talent that makes a difference in life, it's work ethic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Lawson/Becton dichotomy of Fan Treatment IS an interesting one.

Because the two are very much not being treated the same by Fans.

One could argue the Lawson injury cost the Jets vastly more (in salary, in lost productivity) than the Becton injury.  After all, Fant did effectively step in and played well in 2021.

Meanwhile, the Jets pass rush was borderline non-existent without Lawson, who has never played a snap for us as yet.

Yet 100% of the Fan anger is aimed at Becton, a cheap $$ cost draft pick with (at least last year) an adequate backup, and almost nothing is aimed at Lawson, a big $$$ FA who has done less then Becton in a Jets uniform.  

It's very interesting.

Becton wasn't a cheap cost draft pick.  He was a top draft pick that was slotted.  If we didn't draft him there is another first round player at the same price.  Lawson was a FA.  

Lawson came to camp in great shape and worked his butt off.  He poped an achilles which is a 1 year injury.  

Becton was Douglas's first pick.  The cornerstone pick to the rebuild.  Lawson is cuttable after this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...