Jump to content

Cimini: Jets Don’t Expect Becton to Practice During Mandatory Mini Camp


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Becton wasn't a cheap cost draft pick.  He was a top draft pick that was slotted.  If we didn't draft him there is another first round player at the same price.  Lawson was a FA.  

Becton was  a cheap $$$ player.  Lawson was an expensive $$$ player.  

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Lawson came to camp in great shape and worked his butt off.  He poped an achilles which is a 1 year injury.

He has a history on injuries and missed time.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Becton was Douglas's first pick.  The cornerstone pick to the rebuild.  Lawson is cuttable after this year.

Cutting Lawson after this year would be a massive failure of JD's part.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Lawson/Becton dichotomy of Fan Treatment IS an interesting one.

Because the two are very much not being treated the same by Fans.

One could argue the Lawson injury cost the Jets vastly more (in salary, in lost productivity) than the Becton injury.  After all, Fant did effectively step in and played well in 2021.

Meanwhile, the Jets pass rush was borderline non-existent without Lawson, who has never played a snap for us as yet.

Yet 100% of the Fan anger is aimed at Becton, a cheap $$ cost draft pick with (at least last year) an adequate backup, and almost nothing is aimed at Lawson, a big $$$ FA who has done less then Becton in a Jets uniform.  

It's very interesting.

The Jets didn't do Becton any favors when he got injured by announcing how long he would be out....a 370 pound man was never coming back from a dislocated knee in 4-6 weeks....He should definitely be further along then he is and practicing at 100 percent but 4-6 weeks was a pipe dream. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Warfish said:

Becton was  a cheap $$$ player.  Lawson was an expensive $$$ player.  

He has a history on injuries and missed time.

Cutting Lawson after this year would be a massive failure of JD's part.  

Becton isn't a cheap player.  That's your first mistake.  

We knew Lawson had an injury history and took the risk anyway.

He was easily affordable and worth the risk.  It's never a failure to cut sunk costs.  It's the right thing to da. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Becton isn't a cheap player.  That's your first mistake.  

I presumed people would understand what $ means. 

I mean I shouldn't really have to explain that a "cheap $$" means a cheap player from a salary/salary cap perspective.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We knew Lawson had an injury history and took the risk anyway.

And so far we lost our most important player on Defense for an entire year at a large salary cap hit/cost.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was easily affordable and worth the risk.  It's never a failure to cut sunk costs.  It's the right thing to da. 

Oh aye, I don't disagree, and I'm hoping for a big comeback this year.

Still, he's done nothing in a Jets Uniform yet.  Becton, at least, had one good year.

Point is, Lawson gets a free pass.  Becton gets nothing when, in fact, the entire issue may be the teams medical staff's fault for giving entirely unreal timelines for recovery, which started everything being negative when Becton failed to meet that timeline.

Had the Jets announced "Becton is out for the rest of 2021", like they did with Lawson, the vibe going into 2022 may be far less negative now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I presumed people would understand what $ means. 

 

A first round pick is an expensive pick in real cap dollars.  It's also an assett that has value before it's ever used.  Once it's used on a player who busts it's a complete loss.  It's expensive to draft a first round bust.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

It is 9 months. You claimed weight had nothing to do with recovery time. I gave you an article, now you give me one which specifically says that weight has nothing to do with recovery time.

This is a conversation about Becton's recovery post-surgery.  Talking about generic advice that's given to almost every patient who gets surgery on a weight-bearing extremity and how it relates specifically to an NFL offensive lineman having surgery to repair a dislocated knee cap is just silly.

He's an NFL offensive lineman.  NFL linemen (and all players, really) will generally have anywhere from a few days to a few weeks from injury to surgery.  How much weight do you believe in immobile person can lose in a few weeks?  Do you believe there would be a dramatic difference in Becton's recovery if he had the surgery at 358 lbs instead of 361 lbs?

I get that you hate the guy and want to find ways to trash him, but suggesting a five or six pound difference pre-op is the reason why the team's estimate was horrendous might be the biggest reach I've ever seen.

The team said 5-8 weeks.  They then continued to suggest for the majority of the season that he might return in 2021.  They were wrong.  In fact, they were off by 30+ weeks.  

Fight it all you like, but them's the facts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, undertow said:

The Jets didn't do Becton any favors when he got injured by announcing how long he would be out....a 370 pound man was never coming back from a dislocated knee in 4-6 weeks....He should definitely be further along then he is and practicing at 100 percent but 4-6 weeks was a pipe dream. 

There’s no doubt that we never got the full story on that injury. And both the player and team are completely mum about it today. I doubt we’ll ever know. The initial report was clearly over-optimistic. The good news is that he was out there today in shorts, obviously without a brace of any kind. 
 
My opinion is that most of this is hyper-vigilance about injury. Especially when, as Saleh refers to them, it comes to the, “bigs.” Fans can complain about going soft on the players, but management is looking at all the payroll on the IR last year, and trying to figure out how to fix that. When in doubt, try something. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

 

Did  either of you read what I responded too ? I was not the one who brought up 9 weeks and I made it clear to stay away for those 9 weeks would have been ridiculous. I have no idea where he got that number 

Becton has played one game in this system If he felt it a better idea to stay home watching a new born sleep most of the time which they do early on then that's his choice .

As @Matt39 explained the guy has not put in the effort of being in shape since he got here he could have been here for meeting's with his fellow OL players and still spent plenty of time with his wife and kid. At this point all he is doing is working out to get in shape he could take that program and continue it at the Jets facility to at least be up on what the team is doing. Now he will come into camp behind the other players if you think he wont be behind think again.

When it comes to vets like Fant the guy played at a pro bowl level especially in pass protection he's not the guy who has been feeling the heat. Becton knows the spotlight is on him and it seems not to bother him much. His second contract is on the line and whole I'm a Jets fan and I'm pulling for Becton to be a top RT or LT in this league everything we discuss here is speculation anyway but I , as a fan would have liked to see Becton at least be around his fellow players .

As for a game being at risk I was merely making a point as to how pretty much every player handles these situations. Games are missed when players have babies . My point for making that observation is at this stage Becton may very well be fighting for his job if the Jets decide to make another move on a RT or LT plus there is the unknown of what Mitchell might turn out to be. 

So in Summary, If I'm Becton I'm taking this very seriously. I hope he is.

I definitely could have misunderstood you re: the 9 week thing. It still doesn’t change my argument. The workouts are voluntary. Period. They’re not installing the system during voluntary OTAs, and the guy’s had the playbook for a year. I’m not worried about Mitchell’s 8 hour head start this season. 
 

Becton has been rehabbing a ****ed up knee, and training with an OL guy. JD and Saleh seem fine with where the kid is at. Maybe they’re lying. If they are then we have more problems than Becton not showing up for stuff he doesn’t have to.
 

In regards to the point you’re making about how other players would handle the situation, you’re point is moot. It’s the offseason and the workouts are voluntary. It doesn’t matter what you would do if you were him. He’s signed to a multi million dollar contract that says he doesn't have to be there. If I were signed to a multi million dollar contract, I wouldn’t give two sh*ts what some dude in Bergen county said about my attendance. As long as I show up for mandatory stuff, ya’ll can pound rocks. Until he shows up for real, we’re all just going around and around for no ******* reason. If he shows up at 430 lbs, cant move and is beaten out by the waterboy, everyone can feel free to call for his head, I have zero problem with that. However, he doesn’t owe us sh*t and his contract says as much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean everything is relevant lol. That’s why we root for the team. If he’s actually in shape then skipping voluntaries I guess wouldn’t matter. But he’s never been in shape since he’s been here.

Do you know for a fact that he’s not in shape? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

I definitely could have misunderstood you re: the 9 week thing. It still doesn’t change my argument. The workouts are voluntary. Period. They’re not installing the system during voluntary OTAs, and the guy’s had the playbook for a year. I’m not worried about Mitchell’s 8 hour head start this season. 
 

Becton has been rehabbing a ****ed up knee, and training with an OL guy. JD and Saleh seem fine with where the kid is at. Maybe they’re lying. If they are then we have more problems than Becton not showing up for stuff he doesn’t have to.
 

In regards to the point you’re making about how other players would handle the situation, you’re point is moot. It’s the offseason and the workouts are voluntary. It doesn’t matter what you would do if you were him. He’s signed to a multi million dollar contract that says he doesn't have to be there. If I were signed to a multi million dollar contract, I wouldn’t give two sh*ts what some dude in Bergen county said about my attendance. As long as I show up for mandatory stuff, ya’ll can pound rocks. Until he shows up for real, we’re all just going around and around for no ******* reason. If he shows up at 430 lbs, cant move and is beaten out by the waterboy, everyone can feel free to call for his head, I have zero problem with that. However, he doesn’t owe us sh*t and his contract says as much. 

I agree with what you are saying but as fans we have an opinion, that opinion means nothing to the player and I'm sure as you say he does not give a flying **** about what we think. From my perspective, that means nothing, I would have liked to see him make more of an effort since he was drafted I hope that comes this year and he turns it around . I think his problems run deeper as i have been stating since he was drafted and once again I hope I'm wrong but he's done nothing but prove me right so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is a conversation about Becton's recovery post-surgery.  Talking about generic advice that's given to almost every patient who gets surgery on a weight-bearing extremity and how it relates specifically to an NFL offensive lineman having surgery to repair a dislocated knee cap is just silly.

He's an NFL offensive lineman.  NFL linemen (and all players, really) will generally have anywhere from a few days to a few weeks from injury to surgery.  How much weight do you believe in immobile person can lose in a few weeks?  Do you believe there would be a dramatic difference in Becton's recovery if he had the surgery at 358 lbs instead of 361 lbs?

I get that you hate the guy and want to find ways to trash him, but suggesting a five or six pound difference pre-op is the reason why the team's estimate was horrendous might be the biggest reach I've ever seen.

The team said 5-8 weeks.  They then continued to suggest for the majority of the season that he might return in 2021.  They were wrong.  In fact, they were off by 30+ weeks.  

Fight it all you like, but them's the facts.

Is your contention that weight has no bearing on recovery time of knee injuries in General?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Is your contention that weight has no bearing on recovery time of knee injuries in General?

 

My contention is that if Mekhi Becton weighed four pounds less for his surgery than he actually did, the Jets would have still botched the prognosis.

And if he had hypothetically been able to lose 150 lbs in the few weeks between injury and surgery, the healing itself would have been the same but he would have had increased mobility during the rehab process.  Could it have shaved some time off?  No way of knowing but it is possible.  Does this mean the Jets didn't screw up royally?  No.  They still missed the mark by 30+ weeks.  That's not on Becton and it's expectation vs reality that's playing a huge role in fans being angry right now.  Had the Jets been accurate 8 months ago, this wouldn't seem like such a disaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not good. If he was where the Jets wanted him to be, they would be hiding him on a field a mile away or in a weight room. They also would be singing his praises instead of dodging the weight question. Starting to get the feeling he may eat his way out of the league...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...