JN Radio: Don’t get mad at Mekhi, Jets Dropped the Ball With Becton

A dislocated knee cap is a weird injury 
it takes weeks for the knee cap to migrate back to where it is supposed to be 
then, only after that's happened, can they xray the knee (again) for small fractures missed the first time around 
the word "dislocation" can also include ligament and tendon damage - we haven't heard anything from Becton so he's doing the right thing keeping his mouth shut as far as the Jets are concerned 
but it's entirely possible the injury was worse than expected, and they didn't know it until the 6 week mark  
These are good points that either are being ignored or aren't well understood.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the funny part is around week 10, I become the "they aren't that bad" guy

the manic swings from wild optimism to wild pessimism "trigger me" to use a phrase that my Gen Z niece favors

i've settled into a "show me" mild pessimism. They suck until they prove, on the field, that they don't. You are what your record says you are etc. I don't hate the weather by reporting it's 80 degrees outside. It's just a fact. 

Nothing would make me happier than this team to prove me wrong 

I go back a little further.  I had a few years of great football before the 70's team fell into the craper.   I'm actually pretty happy with Douglas.   Doesn't mean I believe he is some super star drafter because I don't believe there are any super star drafters.  I think he has done a good job of managing the drafts, the cap and bringing in young talent.

He may have made a huge mistake with Saleh but that might have been Woody.  He was the hot candidate.  In retrospect that's a very Jetsy move with Woody's fingerprints on it.    There is no way you pick a QB at 2 and hire a CEO HC from the defensive side with as little experience as Saleh.  I think it hurt them last year. 

I think there are a lot of pieces.  A really good HC and decent QB play and this team is pretty good in a league that helps bad teams get better and good teams get worse in a hurry.  

I think Zach has a lot of potential.  I think Saleh might be way over his head.  He seems to be fully committed to systems regardless of talent and he's done a good job throwing players under the bus in press confrences while coming off as a nice guy.   Great HC are usually much better at using the press to send messages without throwing guys completely under the bus.  

There's also something between a hard camp and Club Med and knowing who needs what to get ready.  

I'm optimistic about the roster.  I'm pessimistic about Saleh and hopeful and uncertain about Zach.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

A dislocated knee cap is a weird injury 

it takes weeks for the knee cap to migrate back to where it is supposed to be 

then, only after that's happened, can they xray the knee (again) for small fractures missed the first time around 

the word "dislocation" can also include ligament and tendon damage - we haven't heard anything from Becton so he's doing the right thing keeping his mouth shut as far as the Jets are concerned 

but it's entirely possible the injury was worse than expected, and they didn't know it until the 6 week mark  

Recovery time for return to athletic activity following surgery for a dislocated knee cap is six months no matter how much a person weighs.

The Jets were still talking about Becton returning at some point in 2021 after his surgery.

They were wrong.  By a lot.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-45 weeks off the mark.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, freestater said:

Its everybody else's fault besides Becton. 

So Becton should have been handling the medical side of his injury?  Why even have team doctors if the players are expected to come up with a diagnosis/recovery time?

Kneecap Dislocation

Symptoms:

Occurs when the patella comes out of place. An obvious visual deformity of the knee is noted.

Usually the result of a trauma. Sometimes the kneecap reduces on its own or the patient is able to reduce it. Other times this need to be reduced at an Emergency Department.

Associated with pain, swelling, and inability to weight bear.

The cartilage behind the patella can be damaged.

Diagnosis:

X-rays are obtained to evaluate for fracture. It is common to see a small fracture on the medial side of the patella, called an avulsion fracture.

MRI can be used to evaluate injury to the cartilage or ligaments in the knee.

Treatment:

First time dislocations without significant fracture are treated with rest, bracing, and physical therapy.

Large fractures often require surgical reduction and fixation.

Recurrent patellar instability is treated with surgery. Surgical procedures to stabilize the patella include: medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction, medial retinacular repair, and tibial tubercle osteotomy.

Post-operative Care:

Most patients are able to go home the day of surgery. In some cases, patients stay in the hospital overnight.

Crutches and a brace (or splint) are needed for about one month after surgery.

Range of motion is restricted for 4-6 weeks to protect the repair.

Physical therapy is necessary for 3-6 months to regain full motion and strength.

Full recovery with return to sports at about 6 months after surgery.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

So Becton should have been handling the medical side of his injury?  Why even have team doctors if the players are expected to come up with a diagnosis/recovery time?

Just like I said, its everybody else's fault. 

Thanks for proving my point. 

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Why the **** you're carrying water for this lazy bum, I have no idea. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, freestater said:

Why the **** you're carrying water for this lazy bum, I have no idea. 

Because I'd rather discuss the facts than be irrational and emotional.

Fact: Recovery time for kneecap surgery is six months whether somebody weighs 150 lbs or 450 lbs.  

Fact: After Becton had his surgery, the Jets didn't rule out his return until the final month of the season.

This means somebody was lying or horrible at their job.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Because I'd rather discuss the facts than be irrational and emotional.

Fact: Recovery time for kneecap surgery is six months whether somebody weighs 150 lbs or 450 lbs.  

Fact: After Becton had his surgery, the Jets didn't rule out his return until the final month of the season.

This means somebody was lying or horrible at their job.

Emotional? I couldn't possibly be more detached from that listless loaf. How many complete games has he played in two years? 8? 9? Worthless. All other parties could be complete incompetents at their respective roles and it still doesn't relieve Mount Burritos from his abysmal availability rate. We could have had a guy who's turning out to be an all-pro because JD wanted to be the smartest guy in the room and not draft the obvious top tackle. Dumb mistake that's costing this team. When Becton finally makes it 17 games in a season, I'll issue an official mea culpa. Until then, my assessment stands. Something tells me that the Becton brigade is going to wait a long time for that apology. 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Emotional? I couldn't possibly be more detached from that listless loaf. How many complete games has he played in two years? 8? 9? Worthless. All other parties could be complete incompetents attheir respective roles and it still doesn't relieve Mount Burritos from his abysmal availability rate. We could have had a guy who's turning out to be an all-pro because JD wanted to be the smartest guy in the room and not draftthe obvious top tackle. Dumb mistake that's costing this team. When Becton finally makes it 17 games in a season, I'll issue an official mea culpa. Until then, my assessment stands. Sometimes me that the Becton brigade is going to wait a long time for that apology. 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Yes. Really. Ideally he would have never even been a jet.

The O Rly was in reference to the bold.  You are a loooong way from being emotionally dethatched from Mekhi's situation.  No shame though.  We've all been there at one point or another.  I nearly put my fist through my screen on more than a few occasions.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

The O Rly was in reference to the bold.  You are a loooong way from being emotionally dethatched from Mekhi's situation.  No shame though.  We've all been there at one point or another.  I nearly put my fist through my screen on more than a few occasions.

Yeah..this team doesn't get that kind of emotion from me ever since Doug O'Brien in Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Numb since then.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets' doctors have historically been terrible... like actively bad (Kelechi Osemele won his grievance) 

even the replacement doctors and training staff seem below average 

If you were an agent of a superstar player and that player got hurt playing for the Jets (Ha), you'd send them to your own guys for the surgery. 

the Jets doctors are blatantly in the pocket of the team, no regard for player safety - they never met a FA or predraft physical they don't pass 

having good (non butcher) team doctors this is one of those 'non-salary-cap' positions like coaching or turf that doesn't suck that Woodrow just isn't interested in investing extra money in. He has to play the players a certain amount. He doesn't need to hire quality doctors.   

why should he, when wins and loses pay the same? 

Are you attention starved and looking for clicks?   If not, this is one of the dumbest things that I have ever read.   They should bring back the butt fumble just for this post.

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We do not have enough experience with the new staff for that opinion. The team we put together is incredibly talented and succesful.  No question it sucked in the Osemele/Enunwa days.

Here's the deal with Becton. The JD/Saleh combo would have picked Wirfs. It is clear that JD when we had Gase selected the riskier higher upside picks at the top whereas with Saleh JD is selecting high floor guys. Whether that is a function of head coach or JD learning I cannot say.

Hopefully Becton can put it all together. His upside is incredible and remember he is still super young. Were any of us super mature at his age?

I don't believe JD is a tool.   The only thing we know about JD/Saleh is Douglas has given up draft capital to move up to get a player they love in two consecutive drafts.   We also know that when Gase was hired we unloaded Adams for draft picks that look to have set up the Jets future.

This blaming Gase for Becton when Gase is the reason we had all that draft capital for Adams and Douglas is insane.

Who do you blame for Saleh?  

What happens to your attack of Gase if Becton, Mims and Davis are starting at some point this year?

George Fant, signed when Gase was the HC says hello. 

We can sit here and debate becton’s injury and desire to be with his family, and it’s all fair.  But through it all, it’s hard to not get the vibe that he’s deliberately staying away from the team b/c his feelings are hurt.  I think it started, tbh, when fant replaced him and did such a good job.  It made him feel replaceable and i don’t think he’s recovered from all the press about how his job isn’t guaranteed and how there’s gonna be a LT competition. 

Regardless, when late july rolls around he’s either going to come here and kick ass or continue the saga.  And clearly the jets are prepping for the latter by bringing in reiff.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We can sit here and debate becton’s injury and desire to be with his family, and it’s all fair.  But through it all, it’s hard to not get the vibe that he’s deliberately staying away from the team b/c his feelings are hurt.  I think it started, tbh, when fant replaced him and did such a good job.  It made him feel replaceable and i don’t think he’s recovered from all the press about how his job isn’t guaranteed and how there’s gonna be a LT competition. 

Regardless, when late july rolls around he’s either going to come here and kick ass or continue the saga.  And clearly the jets are prepping for the latter by bringing in reiff.  

I mean last year it’s clear he blew off his rehab and put on too much weight. Rehabbing requires work and it really just depends on your desire to get back. I’d say the bigger concerns are from year 1 when he actually played and he constantly removed himself from games “tapping out.” Depending on Becton for anything would be silly. Maybe they give him one more chance, but I’m sure he’s weighed in already if he’s at the facility and they have Reiff on standby.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Are you attention starved and looking for clicks?   If not, this is one of the dumbest things that I have ever read.   They should bring back the butt fumble just for this post.

Yes everyone who posts an opinion that you don't agree with are looking for clicks /s

• Haha 1

Just now, bitonti said:

I don't know about you but I get 3 cents for every hot take click 

Only 20 thousand more clicks and I can get that Xbox 

Pays better than collecting bridge tolls for us big nasty trolls

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

I don't believe JD is a tool.   The only thing we know about JD/Saleh is Douglas has given up draft capital to move up to get a player they love in two consecutive drafts.   We also know that when Gase was hired we unloaded Adams for draft picks that look to have set up the Jets future.

This blaming Gase for Becton when Gase is the reason we had all that draft capital for Adams and Douglas is insane.

Who do you blame for Saleh?  

What happens to your attack of Gase if Becton, Mims and Davis are starting at some point this year?

George Fant, signed when Gase was the HC says hello. 

Not sure how you read my post like you did but I was not attacking or blaming anyone. I was just saying that to me in the last 2 drafts the Jets have drafted the safer higher floor guys but in the first draft he picked a lot of guys that are more boom/bust with lower floors higher ceilings and was just wondering/suggesting if it was a function of a different head coach

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure how you read my post like you did but I was not attacking or blaming anyone. I was just saying that to me in the last 2 drafts the Jets have drafted the safer higher floor guys but in the first draft he picked a lot of guys that are more boom/bust with lower floors higher ceilings and was just wondering/suggesting if it was a function of a different head coach

I think you were suggesting it was Gase's fault.  

On 6/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, AFJF said:

Recovery time for return to athletic activity following surgery for a dislocated knee cap is six months no matter how much a person weighs.

The Jets were still talking about Becton returning at some point in 2021 after his surgery.

They were wrong.  By a lot.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-45 weeks off the mark.

Not sure where to go with this.

Hurt in September with a 6 month return etc?  Umm...nevermind...youre not making sense.

Assuming you meant 6 weeks for a patella dislocation regardless of weight?  Umm...maybe?  was there any other associated ligament/tendon/joint damage from the force of injury that caused the dislocation?  Becton had surgery after the patella dislocation...why?  Minor (if you can say that) patella dislocation without associated ligament/cartilage damage injury, surgery not needed.

Listen...I have EXTREME doubts about Becton's ability to stay healthy, maintain his weight etc...I'm a skeptic.  But as a physician, I'm just gonna say you, and I, have no idea as of yet.

I'm choosing to stay positive lol.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Hurt in September with a 6 month return etc?  Umm...nevermind...youre not making sense.

Assuming you meant 6 weeks for a patella dislocation regardless of weight?  Umm...maybe?  was there any other associated ligament/tendon/joint damage from the force of injury that caused the dislocation?  Becton had surgery after the patella dislocation...why?  Minor (if you can say that) patella dislocation without associated ligament/cartilage damage injury, surgery not needed.

Listen...I have EXTREME doubts about Becton's ability to stay healthy, maintain his weight etc...I'm a skeptic.  But as a physician, I'm just gonna say you, and I, have no idea as of yet.

Now, after reading more of this entire thread,  I'm going to apologize for my take on your earlier reply.  I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Becton's injury had a BEST CASE of being back to play in 4-6 weeks...with no surgery etc.

Surgery on his knee meant a few things:

Some possible associated cartilage/ligament damage in the joint either from prior injury or the patella dislocation event itself; or

enough laxity in the patella tendon after the dislocation that some method of 'tightening' the patella tendon was needed. When he had surgery, for whatever reason, this was a minimum 3 moth injury IMO.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Have found multiple sites confirming six month recovery from dislocated knee cap surgery from surgery to return to athletic activity.  This matches what I was told by the orthopedic surgeon I spoke to and certainly seems to be the time line Becton is on.

See the bold in description below in regards to recovery and return to athletic activity.

Patella Dislocations

Dislocation of the Patella (knee cap)

The patella is an integral part of the knee function and one’s ability to straighten their leg.  Called the extensor mechanism, the quadriceps muscle, the patella and the patella tendon are the system that extends the knee.  The patella (knee cap), rides in a groove in the femur (thigh bone).  In a dislocation, the patella is forced out of this groove and slides off the side of the femur.  It can get stuck out of the groove and occasionally needs anesthesia and someone to put it back (reduce the dislocation).  The vast majority of the time, the patella comes out to the outside of the knee (lateral dislocation), but it can also go it to the inside.  There are numerous reasons that this can happen including trauma, anatomic variations, muscle imbalance, and others.  Most often, a dislocation occurs due to a twisting injury with someone who is predisposed to dislocation to to anatomic variations.  There are numberus anatomic variations that make your patella more likely to come out including a high riding patella (patella alta), a shallow groove (trochlear displasia), a high angle of force of the quadriceps (Q-Angle or TT-TG ratio), an insufficient medial ligament (MPFL), etc.   A complete evaluation of the knee cap and anatomy will involve a physical exam, xrays and an MRI.

Non-Surgical Treatment

For first time dislocators with relatively normal anatomy, the preferred treatment is bracing and gradual return to sports after completion of a physical therapy program.  PT will focus on range of motion and quad strengthening, especially the VMO muscle which is the dynamic medial stabilizer of the patella.  A lateral buttress brace or McConnel taping is then employed in sports for a year after the injury.

Surgical Treatment

Surgical treatment is indicated in repeat dislocators, a first time dislocation with significant bony abnormality that makes a second time dislocation very likely, or a first time dislocation with loose bodies in the knee joint.  Surgery will involve knee arthroscopy to evaluate and treat the cartilage in the knee and then one or more of many procedures tailored to address the deficiencies that caused the dislocation in the first place.  These can include:

MPFL (medial patella femoral ligament) reconstruction

MPFL Repair

Medial Reefing

Lateral Release

Tibial Tubercle osteotomy

Trochleaplasty

Recovery and Rehabilitation

Recovery is dependent upon what procedures need to be done.  One should expect 6 weeks on crutches with limits to range of motion in the first six weeks.  You will then progress to an increase in motion and weight bearing after this initial period.  The recovery period is usually 4-6 months before return to competition is expected.

Surgery FAQs

How long does surgery take? Between 1 and 3 hours

What kind of anesthesia will I need? General anesthesia with or without a nerve block

How long will I be in the hospital? Many patients can leave that same day, occasionally Dr. Petre will have you stay one night in the hospital

Is surgery safe? All surgery has risks; however, this surgery when compared to all other surgery is very safe.

Will I need physical therapy? Yes.  Physical therapy is crucial to an excellent outcome.

How long before I can return to work/school? For jobs and academics that require minimal physical exertion and can be done with crutches, many people can return in a few days to 2 weeks.  For jobs that require heavy lifting or exertion, it is safe to plan 8 weeks off.

How long before I can return to my sports? Typically 4-6 months

How long before i can drive a car? All patients must be off pain medicine before driving.  Many patients can return to driving in 2 weeks or less once they feel completely safe operating a vehicle.

How long will I be on crutches? 6 weeks minimum

How long will I need pain medicine?  Most patients need 3-5 days of pain medicine and sometimes up to 2 weeks.  If you are still having pain requiring narcotic pain medicine after a month, Dr. Petre may ask you to see a pain specialist.

How long will I need a brace or sling? 6 weeks

Edited by AFJF

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Now, after reading more of this entire thread,  I'm going to apologize for my take on your earlier reply.  I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Becton's injury had a BEST CASE of being back to play in 4-6 weeks...with no surgery etc.

Some possible associated cartilage/ligament damage in the joint either from prior injury or the patella dislocation event itself; or

enough laxity in the patella tendon after the dislocation that some method of 'tightening' the patella tendon was needed. When he had surgery, for whatever reason, this was a minimum 3 moth injury IMO.

But 3 months for full recovery to return to competition?  Maybe 3 months until more intense rehab and mobility/ROM, but ready to get back on a field?  

36 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sounds right. Mahomes had the same injury and didn’t get surgery and was back within a few weeks. If I remember correctly the Jets doctors didn’t think surgery was necessary and Becton ended up getting a second opinion, who decided he should have it scoped.