Two more accusers for Watson to bring total to 26?

AFJF

This was how it was always going to go... settlements all around and the NFL will come down with something like a 6 game suspension. Not saying it is the right thing, but it was always the most likely outcome. I would be pretty surprised if the NFL came down with a full year suspension on him

I wonder if the Browns have agreed to make the payments for him as part of that reasonable contract.

Lack of facts aside, if he gets off (hah!) with less than 8 weeks, there's gonna be some serious blowback against the league.  Not sure if they plan to just weather the storm or not, but I don't think this is going to just go under the rug.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I wonder if the Browns have agreed to make the payments for him as part of that reasonable contract.

Lack of facts aside, if he gets off (hah!) with less than 8 weeks, there's gonna be some serious blowback against the league.  Not sure if they plan to just weather the storm or not, but I don't think this is going to just go under the rug.

*sheets 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

How do you not drown in a light rain? 

No. As someone who does this for a living, that's not how this works. Settlements are for risk mitigation and certainty. If you're suing me for 100k, and i think you have a 30% chance of prevailing but can settle with you for 10K, i should settle even though I think I'm going to stomp you in court if we go to trial. The mere fact of a settlement doesn't tell you anything at all about how each party evaluated its chances - just that whatever that evaluation was, it overlapped with their adversary's. 

Well I think when there are 26 cases from the NFL point of view a settlement can still be used in a factor or more likely than not but the point is valid. Not all have settled though so this is not over. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Biggs said:

I would say that's an unprovable opinion.  Even if it wasn't there are plenty of civil lawsuits where companies and people did horendous damage and committed horrible crimes even if there wasn't enough evidence to get a conviction or bring it to criminal trial. 

I suspect the vast majority of the vast majority you're speaking to are insurance companies settleing for less than going to trial.   That's a very different calculation than Watson who wanted his day in court to clear his name paying money for nondisclosure.  

I didn't really want to let myself post in here, but...

How is that so different?  I get that "nondisclosure" of actual sexual assault is what you are probably referencing, but Watson might have a personal and financial interest in not having things come out that could be perfectly legal.  Pervy text messages, questionable behavior.  It's in his interest to keep all that stuff quiet, even if he isn't guilty of the actual assaults or the worst of what he has been accused.  This sh*t is certainly killing his endorsement opportunities.  Think of Carlos Danger.  Anthony Weiner had plenty of reasons for "paying money for nondisclosure" and none of the necessarily meant he was guilty of anything worthy of suspension from the NFL

Defending a big civil trial is going to be expensive and Watson will still have to pay for it and if paying off the plaintiffs saves him money, it makes the same sense for him as it does for Allstate.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't really want to let myself post in here, but...

How is that so different?  I get that "nondisclosure" of actual sexual assault is what you are probably referencing, but Watson might have a personal and financial interest in not having things come out that could be perfectly legal.  Pervy text messages, questionable behavior.  It's in his interest to keep all that stuff quiet, even if he isn't guilty of the actual assaults or the worst of what he has been accused.  This sh*t is certainly killing his endorsement opportunities.  Think of Carlos Danger.  Anthony Weiner had plenty of reasons for "paying money for nondisclosure" and none of the necessarily meant he was guilty of anything worthy of suspension from the NFL

Defending a big civil trial is going to be expensive and Watson will still have to pay for it and if paying off the plaintiffs saves him money, it makes the same sense for him as it does for Allstate.

Unlike Allstate, Watson has said he wants to clear his name.  Settlement with nondisclosure doesn't do that.  A trial where the plantiffs aren't credible and he is might.  

There is also the false public perception that all of these women are accusing him of sexual assault.  That's not the case.  Innapropriate behavior isn't the same thing by a long shot.  If that came out in trial it might be to his advantage with the NFL and future sponsorships.  

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Unlike Allstate, Watson has said he wants to clear his name.  Settlement with nondisclosure doesn't do that.  A trial where the plantiffs aren't credible and he is might.  

There is also the false public perception that all of these women are accusing him of sexual assault.  That's not the case.  Innapropriate behavior isn't the same thing by a long shot.  If that came out in trial it might be to his advantage with the NFL and future sponsorships.  

You're not wrong.  Technically.  In reality, I can't imagine anything coming out that would help him beyond these women all being gold diggers.  I can't imagine that being proven and more people already believe that than it would have been reasonable to hope.  If I were his counsel, talking points would be "I can't wait for the truth to come out and a light to shine on all of this."  Reality would be to try to silence and shovel as much as possible under the rug, whether the accusations were true or false.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, Doggin94it said:

How do you not drown in a light rain? 

No. As someone who does this for a living, that's not how this works. Settlements are for risk mitigation and certainty. If you're suing me for 100k, and i think you have a 30% chance of prevailing but can settle with you for 10K, i should settle even though I think I'm going to stomp you in court if we go to trial. The mere fact of a settlement doesn't tell you anything at all about how each party evaluated its chances - just that whatever that evaluation was, it overlapped with their adversary's. 

Well as someone who also settles cases for a living I can tell you most civil suits with validity they either go to trial or drag out negotiations as long as possible to get the max amount of money.  As soon as these suits got filed they got settled most likely on lowball offers

And where’s the criminal charge if Watson actually did anything?  Since you know everything please explain why the grand jury didn’t indict Watson on anything despite 20 supposedly credible accusers?

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Lol. There's zero chance you litigate if you think "post-deposition" is "as soon as they were filed" or a suggestion of a lowball number. 

And zero chance you're a lawyer if you think "where's the criminal charge" means "he definitely didn't commit a crime" 

But I'm happy to be proven wrong - feel free to DM me your bar card. At the very worst, I'll have a name to warn clients away from if anyone asks if I've heard anything

Yawn. Still dancing around the fact that a grand jury didn’t find any of the 24 accusers credible enough to induct Watson on anything 

Most lawsuits that have any merit go on for years in litigation.  None of the suits filed against Watson are more than 15 months old

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Yawn. Still dancing around the fact that a grand jury didn’t find any of the 24 accusers credible enough to induct Watson on anything 

Most lawsuits that have any merit go on for years in litigation.  None of the suits filed against Watson are more than 15 months old

Again, how do you not drown in a light rain? That's not how any of this works. 

14 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think this one should go forward. The is no possible way the Texans couldn't have known about this, and they did nothing (that we know of) to dissuade him or redirect him. They should have sent him to their team staff for massages, and gotten him set up with a role playing hooker to keep everything separate and with willing parties to the transactions in question.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If Watson never plays another down of NFL football, the Browns deserve every bit of hardship from this deal. At no point was this deal good for the organization. 

There is no way the browns made that move without knowing that this would end after at MOST a year ban. Its a risk to play a QB who has been out of the league for two years, but thats the risk they took. This will not be a never ending saga.

1 hour ago, Wit said:

There is no way the browns made that move without knowing that this would end after at MOST a year ban. Its a risk to play a QB who has been out of the league for two years, but thats the risk they took. This will not be a never ending saga.

You are giving Browns executives too much credit. The NFL is now looking for an indefinite suspension with a year minimum in light of the two new accusations. 

16 hours ago, Wit said:

The Browns didn’t know anything of the sort. No way they could know about the additional accusers coming out after a very public HBO episode about the matter, for instance. League could’ve intimidated that “as it stands,” a one year ban was the likely maximum penalty, but with the additional accusers and a few women refusing to settle so far, it has the potential to continue to get worse. The league doesn’t care what Watson did, they only care about how they look. Court of public opinion is gonna weigh heavily in this decision. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Browns didn’t know anything of the sort. No way they could know about the additional accusers coming out after a very public HBO episode about the matter, for instance. League could’ve intimidated that “as it stands,” a one year ban was the likely maximum penalty, but with the additional accusers and a few women refusing to settle so far, it has the potential to continue to get worse. The league doesn’t care what Watson did, they only care about how they look. Court of public opinion is gonna weigh heavily in this decision. 

Exactly, it’s not the difference in 24 and 26 it’s the fact it may get worse that bothers the league. If all 26 settled, he’d get 6 appeal and miss 3. Situation is still stormy so the league won’t drop anchor @Klecko73isGod until it’s calm. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

i disagree.

they had to know some of these women would be interviewed so that should have not come as a surprise. and i believe that the NFL has told these teams that if Watson did not get charged in criminal court that they would not punish him too bad. i dont think it was a coincidence that after that trade talks heated up and he was traded a short time later. unfortunately for the Browns i dont think the NFL put that in writing but i still cant see a team giving up those draft picks unless they had some sort of insurances that Watson would play at least half a year. and  i dont think that the interviews or the settlement which both had to be suspected changed that by anything. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Exactly, it’s not the difference in 24 and 26 it’s the fact it may get worse that bothers the league. If all 26 settled, he’d get 6 appeal and miss 3. Situation is still stormy so the league won’t drop anchor @Klecko73isGod until it’s calm. 

is it really 26? the last 2 women arent even filing anything. sorry but you dont get to say this man did something bad to you and then say you dont want to join the lawsuit. it would be quite easy to add 2 more names to the civil suit.

and is it even 24? 

think about this. out of 23 women the DA only brought 10 to the Grand Jury. and the Grand Jury only wanted to hear from one women.

out of 24 women the NFL is only zeroing in on 5 cases. people with more knowledge of what happened then we do are telling us that most of these cases are nothing. i read an article about a cop who investigated Watson who wanted to charge him with prostitution because he paid some of these women for sex. 

makes you wonder how many are like that. ..... what?? Watson ask you for sex? inappropriate behavior. we got woman #15...... what? Watson touched your shoulder?. inappropriate contact, woman #20...... Watsons penis touched you by accident when he turned over? thats not an accident thats assault!!! woman #24

but when they get to the DA, the courts or even the NFL the go nowhere cause there is nothing there.

but like Slats said its the court of public opinion. Buzzbee is a hell of a lawyer and deserves every dime he gets. cause if he just went with the 5 that had legitimate cases it wouldn't seem so bad. so when Watson gets 6-8 games there going off 5 cases not 24. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Lol great way to just casually dismiss 26 legal accusations and several others that are not seeking anything. Lol at least misogynistic slut shaming is alive and well. And people wonder why more sexual assaults are not prosecuted....

Exactly.

Lets all be clear, I believe that between the NYT and Lawyer, they know of 66 women.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, The Crusher said:

For an anchor that size, you're looking at about 350k.

• Haha 4

On 6/29/2022 at 12:54 PM, doitny said:

i disagree.

they had to know some of these women would be interviewed so that should have not come as a surprise. and i believe that the NFL has told these teams that if Watson did not get charged in criminal court that they would not punish him too bad. i dont think it was a coincidence that after that trade talks heated up and he was traded a short time later. unfortunately for the Browns i dont think the NFL put that in writing but i still cant see a team giving up those draft picks unless they had some sort of insurances that Watson would play at least half a year. and  i dont think that the interviews or the settlement which both had to be suspected changed that by anything. 

is it really 26? the last 2 women arent even filing anything. sorry but you dont get to say this man did something bad to you and then say you dont want to join the lawsuit. it would be quite easy to add 2 more names to the civil suit.

and is it even 24? 

think about this. out of 23 women the DA only brought 10 to the Grand Jury. and the Grand Jury only wanted to hear from one women.

out of 24 women the NFL is only zeroing in on 5 cases. people with more knowledge of what happened then we do are telling us that most of these cases are nothing. i read an article about a cop who investigated Watson who wanted to charge him with prostitution because he paid some of these women for sex. 

makes you wonder how many are like that. ..... what?? Watson ask you for sex? inappropriate behavior. we got woman #15...... what? Watson touched your shoulder?. inappropriate contact, woman #20...... Watsons penis touched you by accident when he turned over? thats not an accident thats assault!!! woman #24

but when they get to the DA, the courts or even the NFL the go nowhere cause there is nothing there.

but like Slats said its the court of public opinion. Buzzbee is a hell of a lawyer and deserves every dime he gets. cause if he just went with the 5 that had legitimate cases it wouldn't seem so bad. so when Watson gets 6-8 games there going off 5 cases not 24. 

Are you ******* kidding me with this garbage? Wow.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

On 6/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, doitny said:

Do yourself a favor. Read this aloud to yourself and imagine saying it to other humans and consider how that would go over.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2