Mini Camp Updates

Lith

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is one of those discussion where I am happy to let someone else take the first pick, and I will take whichever guy is left behind.  Both great players who brought different things to the table.

I always wondered how things would have worked out if we drafted Rice and the 9ers took Toon.... I think Rice had that "Jordan" and Kobe mentality/work ethic that would have made him a hall of famer no matter what team he played for.   Toon, playing in that scheme, with Montana and later Young....  I think he would have been a Hall of Famer but don't know if he would have put up Rice's numbers.   The guy was truly obsessed with being the best.  I don't think Toon was as driven.   Obviously I am assuming they both stayed relatively injury free through out their careers. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get the sense they really just want ZW to play safe this year - not be a superstar but simply take what's there.  This year is still a learning year, take what the D gives, don't be a hero...don't worry about big #'s and let your coaches and weapons do the heavy lifting.

I also get the feeling Zach came out last year trying to win games on his own - seemed like he learned toward the end.

Year 3, 4 and on - is when he can start putting the team on his back -

Yup.  I agree.  Let him manage games, get the ball in the hands of his playmakers, limit mistakes, and make some big plays when the team needs it.  That would be a successful year 2. 

He does not need to be top 10 this year, but I don't want him to be bottom 10 either.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

At this point, I don't care if Zach humiliates the defense, as long as he is making smart plays and showing his talent.  Defense will have to channel that anger against other teams later on.  

Now that I said that, Pick-6 incoming...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I mean there's a name for guys who do as Fid suggests -- game managers. You don't need to burn #2 overall to get those. 

Yeah, and I get Fid's point, but what I am most worried about is that big play ability basically disappearing. He should be learning how to manage both at the same time and growing in both areas. I believe he still wants to make plays but he just won't try the big play every play, and that's ok, but he should still go for it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Sounds like Jets fans want to turn Zach into Mac Jones.  If we drafted a rocket armed QB who's athletic with a quick release to be Mac Jones I would hate it.  Zach is here to be great or we shouldn't have taken him at 2.  

Ah....good times....

image.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Seeing a lot of Jeff Smith's name these last couple of days.

I gave up on Smith when we finally got some WRs in here but hey, ain't a bad problem to have if he clicks. Good competition for everyone, including Mims.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sounds like Jets fans want to turn Zach into Mac Jones.  If we drafted a rocket armed QB who's athletic with a quick release to be Mac Jones I would hate it.  Zach is here to be great or we shouldn't have taken him at 2.  

This is how you build a young qb. He has to learn to run the offense and do the basics well before he can run around and do the crazy things. The pats did the same with Brady when he started, that they are doing with Mac. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Not at all.  I am just talking about year 2  He does not have to step in this season and be a guy who can carry a team.  Year 2, manage the game and that is fine.  If that is all he is in years 3 - whenever, that would be disappointing.  I want him to be a true franchise QB who makes everyone around him better, but it does not have to be this season.

QB's make everyone better by taking the top off the Defense and making them play more field than they can.  Zach was drafted because he has the skill set to do that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah, and I get Fid's point, but what I am most worried about is that big play ability basically disappearing. He should be learning how to manage both at the same time and growing in both areas. I believe he still wants to make plays but he just won't try the big play every play, and that's ok, but he should still go for it. 

Honestly, if we are yet again stuck in QB purgatory next off season it's a huge fail on the organization. This team needs to narrow the range of expected outcomes for the QB this year enough that decisions can be made. I don't care about his floor (let's hope to God we have seen it), we need to know his ceiling.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

This is how you build a young qb. He has to learn to run the offense and do the basics well before he can run around and do the crazy things. The pats did the same with Brady when he started, that they are doing with Mac. 

The NFL has several super star QB's who did crazy things in year 2.  They played like elite NFL QB's in year 2.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

QB's make everyone better by taking the top off the Defense and making them play more field than they can.  Zach was drafted because he has the skill set to do that.  

Which is why I said he needs to make some plays when the team needs him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

Even the biggest Becton supporters have to be concerned at this point.  He wouldn't say he was in good shape at all. 

He said he wants Becton to be as big as he can without sacrificing his speed.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I mean there's a name for guys who do as Fid suggests -- game managers. You don't need to burn #2 overall to get those. 

Game managing is acceptable while he's learning to be a pro. 

It's step one on becoming a quarterback. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1