Jump to content

Mini Camp Updates


Lith
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Game managing is acceptable while he's learning to be a pro. 

It's step one on becoming a quarterback. 

I have higher standards but I definitely understand the strategy to lower them. I've done it myself on a macro level with this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lith said:

Which is why I said he needs to make some plays when the team needs him.

The team needs Zach to be a serious threat every time he takes the snap.   If he's not ready sit him.  If he's ready turn him loose.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

This is how you build a young qb. He has to learn to run the offense and do the basics well before he can run around and do the crazy things. The pats did the same with Brady when he started, that they are doing with Mac. 

 

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sounds like Jets fans want to turn Zach into Mac Jones.  If we drafted a rocket armed QB who's athletic with a quick release to be Mac Jones I would hate it.  Zach is here to be great or we shouldn't have taken him at 2.  

Couldn't have responded better myself. Since we bought the upside, let's see it.

Otherwise, should've drafted Mac, as I wanted.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The NFL has several super star QB's who did crazy things in year 2.  They played like elite NFL QB's in year 2.  

That is the exception not the rule. Mahomes sat for a year before he started, burrow was older and won a national championship in college, Lamar is an amazing athlete whose running changes the game, Herbert is just a freak and I have no explanation 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

He said he wants Becton to be as big as he can without sacrificing his speed.

I always thought this was and is misguided. Just from his height alone he will overpower people through leverage. They should be working on getting him to a certain body fat percentage and basically a minimum playing weight which lets face it is probably 330 still.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Barkus said:

That is the exception not the rule. Mahomes sat for a year before he started, burrow was older and won a national championship in college, Lamar is an amazing athlete whose running changes the game, Herbert is just a freak and I have no explanation 😃

You say it’s an exception then list 4 guys who prove the rule. 90% (being conservative) of FQBs (and 100% of elite ones) show the signs of it by year 2. I say this knowing that if our QB has another year like last, people will still defend. Our QB’s future is currently running on the fumes of hope — maximum mileage — 1 season.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lith said:

 

More fuel for the "food poisoning and Covid" explanation about Mims was complete and utter bullpucks. Mims had some serious issue last year and they kept it quiet. In addition I think they tried to be hard on Mims which is the exact opposite approach you need to take with him. He has a lot of Braylon Edwards in him

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jgb said:

Of course, I had Mac rated higher in the draft but what do I know...

The reality is Mac Jones is much smarter than Zach and when it comes to game management will be better than Zach for as long as both of them are in the NFL.     Zach has to dictate to defenses with his arm.  Right now we probably have as much or more talent than NE.  If we want Zach to manage, were going to lose to them twice. 

  • Thumb Down 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

More fuel for the "food poisoning and Covid" explanation about Mims was complete and utter bullpucks. Mims had some serious issue last year and they kept it quiet. In addition I think they tried to be hard on Mims which is the exact opposite approach you need to take with him. He has a lot of Braylon Edwards in him

I hope Mims turns into a player.  Will be interesting because WR4 & % usually need to play special teams and I heard that may not be suitable for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jgb said:

You say it’s an exception then list 4 guys who prove the rule. 90% (being conservative) of FQBs (and 100% of elite ones) show the signs of it by year 2. I say this knowing that if our QB has another year like last, people will still defend. Our QB’s future is currently running of the fumes of hope — maximum mileage — 1 season.

Did I miss something? Year 2 of Zach has not started yet. If he plays this year like last year, then I 100% agree we have a huge problem. However, the updates from today’s  practice are encouraging as he seems to be making throws all over he place!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Jeff Smith vs. Denzel Mims.  If they both keep this up, they will both probably be active on game days since Smith was our ST gunner but they'll be duking it out for snaps.  Good problem to have.

That would mean they dress 6 wr's on game day.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Did I miss something? Year 2 of Zach has not started yet. If he plays this year like last year, then I 100% agree we have a huge problem. However, the updates from today’s  practice are encouraging as he seems to be making throws all over he place!

Yes but in the absence of actual bad news, we need to complain about what might happen in our darkest moments curled up in the corner, as if it's all but certain to come to pass.

Fun place.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

That would mean they dress 6 wr's on game day.  

Which they can do because Smith is the gunner.  Plus, the way our WRs drop during the season, it's not a bad idea.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

You say it’s an exception then list 4 guys who prove the rule. 90% (being conservative) of FQBs (and 100% of elite ones) show the signs of it by year 2. I say this knowing that if our QB has another year like last, people will still defend. Our QB’s future is currently running on the fumes of hope — maximum mileage — 1 season.

Evident in what they did on offense in FA and the draft. It’s all on the kid, he has everything he needs this year to be the guy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to Zach.  He wasn't ready, the coaching staff was completely unprepared and fortunately he got through the season.  This is a big year for Zach.  He needs to do more than convince us he's a game manager.  Next years draft class has some elite prospects.  

Nothing to refute or to add. Perfect post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Did I miss something? Year 2 of Zach has not started yet. If he plays this year like last year, then I 100% agree we have a huge problem. However, the updates from today’s  practice are encouraging as he seems to be making throws all over he place!

My comment was based on the fact you quoted a post saying he should perform like an elite QB in year 2 if he is ever going to. Thought you were refuting that sentiment. Apologies if I missed something.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The reality is Mac Jones is much smarter than Zach and when it comes to game management will be better than Zach for as long as both of them are in the NFL.     Zach has to dictate to defenses with his arm.  Right now we probably have as much or more talent than NE.  If we want Zach to manage, were going to lose to them twice. 

That is patently false. NE built an offense that was dumbed down to an extensive degree. Zach was given the entire playbook. You can argue which approach is better but Mac Jones is not smarter than Zach. Look up some of the BYU interviews and hear him talk about offense 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, johnnysd said:

That is patently false. NE built an offense that was dumbed down to an extensive degree. Zach was given the entire playbook. You can argue which approach is better but Mac Jones is not smarter than Zach. Look up some of the BYU interviews and hear him talk about offense 

I agree with this.  Jones was put into a situation to succeed by a very good coaching staff.  In his defense, he didn't really have much more talent around him than Zach did.  I wouldn't swap them right now and it's not even remotely tempting.  However, I have no idea how things will look by the middle of this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...