Jump to content

Mini Camp Updates


Lith
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lith said:

 

Jeff Smith....again????  Listen, I know it's OTAs and mini camp, etc.  we can't get too high, can't get too low, blah blah blah.  but something I just do not see people mentioning on this board is that the Jets are NOT running the ball-  EVER - in these practices.  HUGE advantage for the defense.  and then you see that Wilson is throwing TDs to the immortal Jeff Smith?  call me crazy, but that is just awesome!

I'm still scarred from Darnold, as I thought he was "the one", so I am not going crazy with this kid, but I love seeing stuff like this.  gives this old Jets fan hope!!

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Peyton Manning had a great rookie year.  

He just threw a lot of interceptions. 

His team was 3-13 and he didn't just throw "a lot of ints..."  it's still a top 15 most INT's in a season of all time.  

I love Peyton - on of my favorite non-Jets of all time.  But he was bad his rookie year.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Mac Jones has a Masters degree and graduated with a 4.0 GPA.

You failed to mention Zach couldn't impliment the entire playbook in real time.   Mac Jones actually won the Job in NE.  

My Cat go a 4.0 in modern day academia 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

You can only compete against those on the roster.

Zach Wilson beat out Mike White and Josh Johnson

Mac Jones beat out Brian Hoyer

Hoyer and Johnson are about equal.

He didn't beat them out.  He was handed the job.   Cam was cut after Jones won the starting job.  On the Pats first depth chart Cam was 1, Mac 2, Hoyer and Stidham were 3 and 4.  Jets opening depth chart was Wilson 1 White 2.  

That's per the teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You can only compete against those on the roster.

Zach Wilson beat out Mike White and Josh Johnson

So effectively no actual competition was on the roster, and no actual competition happened.

Thanks.

As to your Hoyer = Johnson comment, I'll remind you that Hoyer has 39 career starts as an NFL QB. 

Johnson and White combined had 8. 

I think you'd have trouble finding many people that consider Johnson/White the equivalent or Hoyer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like we will have a new beat writer for the NYDN by the time camp starts.  I liked DJ, once you got past his Dolphin fandom and "out of bounce" comments, I thought he was knowledgeable, shared some good insights and provided more info during practices than most of our writers.

I agree.  I liked him a lot.  Fair, funny.  Much better than anything the DN has put out there in a while.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm pretty sure he did.

He sucked.  He was third in yards, 1st in attempts, 19th in completion percentage, 5th in TD's, 5th in yards per game.  He had a ton of INT's.  He ranked 28th in INT percentage and 1st in INT's.

Zach.  30th in yards, 28th in attempts, 33 in completion percentage, 32nd in TD's, 31st in yards per game, 27th in INT percentage.

Peyton was asked as a rookie to carry his team and was in the game in ever statistically  catagory excetp INT's.

Zach was asked to do nothing and did nothing. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That’s a fair point.  I’d just like to add that this step doesn’t usually come until the phase of TC when there is the smallest bit of game-planning (the tune-up pre-season game) involved.  At least that’s how it was when I played ball.

Same here when I played...

Live ball is an opportunity for everyone,  no point in wasting 1 of a finite number of plays... 

Throw aways don't require practice but testing everyone's capabilities and limits does. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So effectively no actual competition was on the roster, and no actual competition happened.

Thanks.

As to your Hoyer = Johnson comment, I'll remind you that Hoyer has 39 career starts as an NFL QB. 

Johnson and White combined had 8. 

I think you'd have trouble finding many people that consider Johnson/White the equivalent or Hoyer.  

No question Zach was handed the job..

But I'm pretty sure Mac was too, I don't care what they said.  

I'm sure if he completely flopped in camp Hoyer would have played - but it's not like Hoyer was an incumbent stud that Jones beat out.  Hoyer was there with the plan for him being a back-up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

He sucked.  He was third in yards, 1st in attempts, 19th in completion percentage, 5th in TD's, 5th in yards per game.  He had a ton of INT's.  He ranked 28th in INT percentage and 1st in INT's.

Zach.  30th in yards, 28th in attempts, 33 in completion percentage, 32nd in TD's, 31st in yards per game, 27th in INT percentage.

Peyton compared to Zach as a rookie is first ballot HOF.

I'm not comparing Manning to Zach...

Just that Manning had a bad rookie year.  Team wins 3 games and leads the league in INT's. and you're telling me he was good.  

Fine.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't like having Bryce Hall and Breece Hall on this roster. sh*t's confusing every time I read one of them did something.

With the reports about Bryce Hall in OTAs, you may not have that problem come week 1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His team was 3-13 and he didn't just throw "a lot of ints..."  it's still a top 15 most INT's in a season of all time.  

I love Peyton - on of my favorite non-Jets of all time.  But he was bad his rookie year.  

On a comparative basis to what we saw last year he was flat out great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So effectively no actual competition was on the roster, and no actual competition happened.

Thanks.

As to your Hoyer = Johnson comment, I'll remind you that Hoyer has 39 career starts as an NFL QB. 

Johnson and White combined had 8. 

I think you'd have trouble finding many people that consider Johnson/White the equivalent or Hoyer.  

Cam wasn't cut until Mac won the job.  Stidham was also on the roster.  I don't think Johnson was on the roster when Zach was listed as No. 1 on the depth chart.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like we will have a new beat writer for the NYDN by the time camp starts.  I liked DJ, once you got past his Dolphin fandom and "out of bounce" comments, I thought he was knowledgeable, shared some good insights and provided more info during practices than most of our writers.

Manish coming back

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His team was 3-13 and he didn't just throw "a lot of ints..."  it's still a top 15 most INT's in a season of all time.  

I love Peyton - on of my favorite non-Jets of all time.  But he was bad his rookie year.  

Sorry, but you're wrong on this one.

Dude was drafted to one of the worst teams of all time, tripled their win rate, while putting up numbers that would slide him into our top 5 seasons for a quarterback ever.   

57%, 3700 yards, and 26 touchdowns in an era where DB's could still touch the receiver. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't like having Bryce Hall and Breece Hall on this roster. sh*t's confusing every time I read one of them did something.

Two Bryces, a Breece and a Huff and a Hall.  Too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LOL at Joe Flacco as the clear #2. The Mike White fan club will not be happy to see this. 

Joe was always going to be the #2.

There's a reason they went out and signed Flacco as soon as Wilson got hurt.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Two Bryces, a Breece and a Huff and a Hall.  Too much.

Wilson drops back, throws a short pass to Wilson, who tosses it back to Hall.  Hall tries to tackle him, but Hall tosses it, this time to Carter who outruns Carter to the corner.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like we will have a new beat writer for the NYDN by the time camp starts.  I liked DJ, once you got past his Dolphin fandom and "out of bounce" comments, I thought he was knowledgeable, shared some good insights and provided more info during practices than most of our writers.

I was just starting to like this a-hole

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But Michael Carter was pretty good.

If I was Michael Carter II, I would bribe the equipment staff to put MCon the back of my jersey. 

Yes, I am nerd, hear me roar.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...