Mini Camp Updates

Lith

I wonder how a lot of us would be judging Wilson if we had never drafted Sam Darnold… ?

I’ve said this before, but I’m going to repeat it again here today. I firmly believe Darnold scarred a large portion of this fan base, and Zach is paying a price for it.

It wasn’t long ago we were reading reports of Sam “dropping dimes out in Cali” and lighting up practices and TC with his “generational” talent and arm. Then we saw him in games and couldn’t believe what we were watching.

*disclaimer* I saw it, believed it, and got killed here for saying how horrible it was, but that’s another story. ?

Now along comes Zach, fresh off that fiasco, drafted to a team situation he probably didn’t want to be with, and from Day one we judged him as if he had the same 3 years in the bank Sam did because we had no patience to go through this process all over again. 
I have no idea how Wilson is going to end up. I can’t get a feel for him yet. If I had to bet after last year I’d say not very good, but I’m not convinced of it yet. With Sam I knew after 5 games. Wilson still intrigues me.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

This is very modestly concerning given what was an otherwise excellent day by Wilson. Wilson struggled vs. man coverage last year compared to how he did vs. zone. Hopefully it just a trivial end of practice thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This is very modestly concerning given what was an otherwise excellent day by Wilson. Wilson struggled vs. man coverage last year compared to how he did vs. zone. Hopefully it just a trivial end of practice thing. 

Agree. I am hoping that with time it is mostly a chemistry and familiarity thing and thar will greatly improve 

• Upvote 3

Just now, johnnysd said:

Agree. I am hoping that with time it is mostly a chemistry and familiarity thing and thar will greatly improve 

I have found that everything wrong with Zach can be taught or fixed with time. He has all of those 'uncoachables', and the motivation to learn what he sucks at. Everything depends on if the Jets handle him right and if he handles himself right.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Weak. First round pick is not in shape enough to go through practice. Have higher expectations instead of namecalling.

Honestly, he's still rehabbing.  

For better or worse that is the case here.  This isn't an in shape or not in shape thing - it's an injury thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Truth. Mims always had world class attributes 
But he did not play special teams and couldn't learn all the routes and all the positions 
If mims is working on punt or kickoff coverage that's a huge sign of growth. he's always been in awesome physical shape. 
No...part of Mims issue last year was not learning the offense and the other was he was in horrible shape last year. Hence the comment from Lafleur today about the dramatic improvement physically.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, he's still rehabbing.  

For better or worse that is the case here.  This isn't an in shape or not in shape thing - it's an injury thing.

The reason a lot of us are frustrated is because after getting destroyed by Lawson in last season's camp, we haven't seen much of him due to an injury that was supposed to be 5-8 weeks long and instead has stretched to almost a year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

@maury77 this might make you feel better.

If I recall the attempted bomb to Moore was man as well.  The reads, above all else, mean the most and it is encouraging to see growth in that respect.

I am also hoping that a big difference this year will be that he has guys who can get open against man coverage.  Berrios, Moore, WIlson are all guys who should be able to get separation against man and make Zach's job easier.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Agree.  Its very annoying.  It was announced days ago he wasnt participating.  Beat writers just trying to drum up trouble because that is what most jet fans want and need.  The disease.
Give me some breece hall and garret wilson news.  Lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know Bekton is not going to get any credit for this but he is going to take a LOT or pressure off the rookies from a media standpoint. The rooks all get to learn, develop and practice while the media looks to punch holes in Bekton and Mims' come back and dog out Zack's accuracy.

Meanwhile Wilson is developing into a beast, Hall is learning the best way to run over people, Sauce is buying the copyright for "Sauceworld" and Johnson is scaring the sh*t out of the o-line.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

The reason a lot of us are frustrated is because after getting destroyed by Lawson in last season's camp, we haven't seen much of him due to an injury that was supposed to be 5-8 weeks long and instead has stretched to almost a year.

I'm very frustrated too.

But I think we need to listen to the GM who says he's still rehabbing.  The fact that he's still rehabbing 10 months laster on a 4-5 week injury is concerning.

But I don't think it's an issue that he's not practicing because he's not in shape.  We just need to accept it's still a rehab situation like Lawson.  No one is frustrated with Lawson because he fits within the time frame we were told.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Weak. First round pick is not in shape enough to go through practice. Have higher expectations instead of namecalling.

Yeah, everyone is disappointed that he's still in rehab and won't be practicing.  But we knew that a couple of ago and people are acting like it should have changed since that time, which is flat out nonsensical.  So if every 5 minutes someone brings up the fact that Becton is not on the field yet it doesn't change anything and is numbingly redundant.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1