Mini Camp Updates

Lith

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I wonder how a lot of us would be judging Wilson if we had never drafted Sam Darnold… ?

I’ve said this before, but I’m going to repeat it again here today. I firmly believe Darnold scarred a large portion of this fan base, and Zach is paying a price for it.

It wasn’t long ago we were reading reports of Sam “dropping dimes out in Cali” and lighting up practices and TC with his “generational” talent and arm. Then we saw him in games and couldn’t believe what we were watching.

*disclaimer* I saw it, believed it, and got killed here for saying how horrible it was, but that’s another story. ?

Now along comes Zach, fresh off that fiasco, drafted to a team situation he probably didn’t want to be with, and from Day one we judged him as if he had the same 3 years in the bank Sam did because we had no patience to go through this process all over again. 
I have no idea how Wilson is going to end up. I can’t get a feel for him yet. If I had to bet after last year I’d say not very good, but I’m not convinced of it yet. With Sam I knew after 5 games. Wilson still intrigues me.

I actually think the fan base has been pretty optimistic and fair about Zach, if not over optimistic. 

that could change very quickly this year. He wasn’t very good last year, and he may only be slightly better this year, and that is actually okay. He’s a second year quarterback.  

i’ll probably freak out too, but I’ll try to remember Josh Allen didn’t hit until his third year.  I think Zach will be up and down in 2022, and will remind myself that’s OK.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Hard to compare them as they were completely different receivers. Walker was an amazing deep threat while Toon was more of a possession guy who’d possess any ball that came his way. 

For me, I watched the careers of both players, and while I loved Toon, Wesley Walker was the better, much more dynamic player.

One of my greatest Jets memories was a Jets/Miami game I was at.  The score was tied 45-45 in overtime, going against the great Dan Marino.

The Jets QB throws a bomb about 45 yards down the field to a streaking Wesley Walker, catching the ball over his shoulder, pulling away from the D-back of the Dolphins, running into the end zone for a 51-45 overtime win!

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Honest question, was Toon better than Walker?

Toon was better than Maynard and Sauer.  He was way better than Walker.  Toon was as good as it gets.  He had a great catch radius and unbelivable body control.  He took to many head shots catching balls he had no business catching.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, David Harris said:

I actually think the fan base has been pretty optimistic and fair about sack, if not over optimistic. 

I don’t know, you could be right. Living 700 miles away, I get almost all my Jets news right here, it’s not like I’m talking football with a big group of our fans down here in SC. ?

The sense I get in here is he gets a lot less rope than Sam did his rookie year. It drove me nuts how many were convinced he was some kind of generational talent, not to mention the “he’s only x years old” stuff. With Zach, I think the board all wants to see him succeed, but there isn’t the same percentage of people convinced he will?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah, everyone is disappointed that he's still in rehab and won't be practicing.  But we knew that a couple of ago and people are acting like it should have changed since that time, which is flat out nonsensical.  So if every 5 minutes someone brings up the fact that Becton is not on the field yet it doesn't change anything and is numbingly redundant.

Do you think he get to a satisfactory weight by training camp? This is strictly a playing shape thing at this point. There’s nothing to rehab unless, physically conditioning is considered rehab?

https://www.sny.tv/articles/jets-mekhi-becton-might-biggest-competition-left-tackle-battle

I mean Becton was a first round pick a short while ago. He’s going to be the story if he still can’t go because of his weight.

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Toon was better than Maynard and Sauer.  He was way better than Walker.  Toon was as good as it gets.  He had a great catch radius and unbelivable body control.  He took to many head shots catching balls he had no business catching.  

Toon better than Sauer for sure. Better than Walker can’t say yeah or nay as someone else said two different types of receivers. Better than Maynard nope although he was not that far behind or possibly his equal Toon was that good!!!!!!
I have stated this before and sincerely believe if Toon was drafted by Bill Walsh (who if I remember correctly tried trading up for him) Toon would be in the Hall of Fame   Walton killed this guy by constantly running 8 yard patterns over the middle directly into the teeth of the linebackers just waiting to knock his head off 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Toon was the best overall receiver.  Walker was a burner who ran past people like they were standing still.  No question, Walker was the most exciting receiver I ever saw in a Jet uniform.  I can't imagine this board lighting up after all those massive bombs for TDs.  Incredible to watch.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t know, you could be right. Living 700 miles away, I get almost all my Jets news right here, it’s not like I’m talking football with a big group of our fans down here in SC.
The sense I get in here is he gets a lot less rope than Sam did his rookie year. It drove me nuts how many were convinced he was some kind of generational talent, not to mention the “he’s only x years old” stuff. With Zach, I think the board all wants to see him succeed, but there isn’t the same percentage of people convinced he will?

That might be partly due to the whole suck for Sam phenomenon that went on years before he was even drafted. There were big hopes riding on that dream.

There was no Zack train until the draft process started. I'd venture to say many never heard of him prior to the run up to the draft.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

47 minutes ago, Alka said:

Actually, there are penis exercises you can do, but I don't think they are appropriate to do in the weight room.

Tell that to Charles Haley

"In a new book coming out by Jeff Pearlmen called “Boys Will Be Boys” it is revealed that 49ers and Cowboys DE Charles Haley used to masturbate in the locker room and during meetings."

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

That might be partly due to the whole suck for Sam phenomenon that went on years before he was even drafted. There were big hopes riding on that dream.

There was no Zack train until the draft process started. I'd venture to say many never heard of him prior to the run up to the draft.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

That’s a great point. I never looked at it that way, but I think you’re 100% correct.

200.gif

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

This is very modestly concerning given what was an otherwise excellent day by Wilson. Wilson struggled vs. man coverage last year compared to how he did vs. zone. Hopefully it just a trivial end of practice thing. 

Keep in mind theyre on the goal line have only 35 feet to maneuver and arent using RBs right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously?

Actually as one of the most pro-Zach people his success against man coverage is the one thing that actually worries me a bit. I have no issues with his accuracy and am hopeful on man but very different dynamic than throwing against zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Toon was the best overall receiver.  Walker was a burner who ran past people like they were standing still.  No question, Walker was the most exciting receiver I ever saw in a Jet uniform.  I can't imagine this board lighting up after all those massive bombs for TDs.  Incredible to watch.

Wesley Walker, 13 years in the league and still averaged 19 yards per reception for his career.  

Imagine that today?  He was a great WR/

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

If Wilson builds trust with Wilson, that is going to be an amazing connection. I got flashbacks of Moore week 1 when he dropped that deep ball against the Panthers. I want Moore to be automatic this season, hope he is. Berrios is going to be good and I just wonder who is going to stop the run game?

When it is possible, I want to see how Zach does against the blitz—his biggest weakness imo. They were winning the Miami game until they started blitzing and the offense died (however with this many ~weapons that might be a different story). 

Im still waiting to see with Becton but at least he showed up, which many people completely doubted (so now they shift to his weight, which didn’t seem that bad). 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetty said:

Sorry but Becton still looks out of shape. Not as bad as before, but definitely not where I thought he would be.

An obese man dedicating himself to video gaming didn't get in better shape? Shocking! But I saw a picture of a triceps exercise, what do you mean he didn't lose weight??

Not being sarcastic towards your post, more in general towards his few loyal defenders that have been claiming fans are too hard on him. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, MichaelScott said:

An obese man dedicating himself to video gaming didn't get in better shape? Shocking! But I saw a picture of a triceps exercise, what do you mean he didn't lose weight??

Not being sarcastic towards your post, more in general towards his few loyal defenders that have been claiming fans are too hard on him. 

So let me check this, the videos of his workouts, dont prove hes in shape.  While the few video references also prove he isnt.  Got it

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Typical Cimini.  After 90 minutes of praise for Wilson from just about every other writer, here is Cimini's summary of the day.

Really starting to question the feedback we getting. Praise entire practice yet "mixed bag" is the final conclusion? Kid has to go 20/20, all of which are 50 yard bombs for it to be considered a good day?

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Yup.  71 TDs on 438 receptions.  1 TD every ~6 catches.  He is criminally underrated.  Most people who are not Jet fans have no idea who he is or how good he was.  I loved Toon, but I am taking Walker because of the big play ability.

Walker was a threat to hit his head on the goalpost on every pass, wherever the Jets were on the field with any QB under center.

Toon was great but he was more of a possession receiver over the course of his career.   And as much as it sucks you have to take his injuries and shorter career into the equation

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Walker was a threat to hit his head on the goalpost on every pass, wherever the Jets were on the field with any QB under center.

Toon was great but he was more of a possession receiver over the course of his career.   And as much as it sucks you have to take his injuries and shorter career into the equation

The reason he was a possession receiver is solely on Walton and how he utilized him  Toon could get deep with the best of them when he got into the league 

• Upvote 4