Mini Camp Updates

Lith

7 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Isn't it funny how all the naysayers talking $hit about how he wouldn't attend mandatory practices, or would never play another game for the Jets - have now moved on to a completely new set of ridiculous observations and foolish comments.  Smells like the "NFL version of "THE BIG LIE", LOL.

Lol. I think we are just glad that we have avoided big red flags today and hopefully not making injuries this year. Glad to see an offensive side of the ball that has potential to be a solid group around our young qb. Also Mike white

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's more than that, though. It's these two statements that stand out to me:

On Mims:

"Is much more confident in the offense. ... He's been putting himself in the best situation to be as successful as he can."

On Becton:

The thing for Mehki is, uh, you know, just, for him, just putting himself in the best situation for him, uh, you know, going forward."

Seems to be a lot less confident talking about Becton, than about Mims.

Mims isn’t coming off an injury and knew he was hanging on by a thread. He needed to bust his hump and be seen by the coaching staff doing so.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Trotter said:

Irony would be we tried to get the big physical receiver in the off season and yet we have him all along.

does this org get that lucky?

Couldn't agree more... The kid had some hurdles with health and the 1st year of the ML system, but I truly believe if he can show he belongs he'll find a spot on this team. The kid can flat out catch. If he can learn the routes, then he makes this team.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I didn't say he definitely isn't in shape. Most definitely not saying that based on pictures from from across a football field. The poster I replied to was the one saying he didn't look in shape. 

Now, do I expect him to be out of shape? Yes, unfortunately, that's definitely what I've come to expect from that. And I believe the comments MLF made about Becton are extremely telling especially when you look at the things he had to say about Mims. 

Look, I sincerely hope and pray I'm wrong. I hope I spend the entire season talking about how wrong I was about Becton. I seriously would love nothing more than for you to be able to call me out personally all season long when Becton is the stud anchor of our oline. But I don't see that happening. Honestly, at this point, I have serious doubts if he ever has production on the field for this team. Like I said, REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Id say hes probably in shape but hes not in football shape.  Huge difference.  As I said to those who know hes over 400lbs, hes probably where the Jets wanted him to be or close to it.  Not the same as being ready to get hit after being out and rehabbing for so long.  The same as Fant, Lawson etc so why risk them

• Upvote 2

Zach Wilson needs to prove one thing this year in his development. If he can show that he has learned how to step up into an open pocket, and not run backwards, he will have taken the next step. All the completions in the offseason mean nothing unless he learns his pocket awareness. I don't care if he takes off and runs on plays that break down, but if he runs 20 yards backwards on those plays, or there is an open pocket and he's running backwards, then to me that's a problem.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Weak. First round pick is not in shape enough to go through practice. Have higher expectations instead of namecalling.t

Perfect example of someone who doesnt get that being in shape and being in football shape are two different things and just has got to see proof that he can play.   Wants that first round pick to risk whatever the team and the Drs dont want him risking so he can stop whining.  

Interesting it doesnt also apply to big buck FA signing from a year ago, Lawson.  Or important players like Fant and the other rehab players working on the sideline

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Perfect example of someone who doesnt get that being in shape and being in football shape are two different things and just has got to see proof that he can play.   Wants that first round pick to risk whatever the team and the Drs dont want him risking so he can stop whining.  

Interesting it doesnt also apply to big buck FA signing from a year ago, Lawson.  Or important players like Fant and the other rehab players working on the sideline

Fant had surgery in the off-season Minkus. Lawson burst his achilles

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, slats said:

I remember a TV broadcast, it might’ve been Dierdorf, referring to one of Toon’s circus catches as, “altoonistic!” I don’t think Walker ever got an adjective. ;) 

But these are two of my all time favorites. Toon’s amazing hands stand out, but it was #85 that I was rocking in junior high. 

WesleyWalker4.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 5

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fant had surgery in the off-season Minkus. Lawson burst his achilles

So lets get this this straight, Lawson had surgery a year ago after bursting his Achilles, Fant had his knee cleaned out and Becton has gone through much less because all he bursted was his patella.  Teams Drs and CS have decided that Becton and Lawson dont have to be on the field so let them work back into football shape before stepping on the field but in your mind only Becton is concerning.  

You dont realize how laughable this sounds Dr Matt.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So lets get this this straight, Lawson had surgery a year ago after bursting his Achilles, Fant had his knee cleaned out and Becton has gone through much less because all he bursted was his patella.  Teams Drs and CS have decided that Becton and Lawson dont have to be on the field so let them work back into football shape before stepping on the field but in your mind only Becton is concerning.  

You dont realize how laughable this sounds Dr Matt.  

He dislocated his kneecap and had it scoped out. If you can find anywhere that it’s a 10 month injury let us know. Becton can’t play because he’s overweight, which yeah is concerning for a young player

• Thumb Down 2

16 hours ago, Biggs said:

Toon was better than Maynard and Sauer.  He was way better than Walker.  Toon was as good as it gets.  He had a great catch radius and unbelivable body control.  He took to many head shots catching balls he had no business catching.  

Wesley Walker had 438 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 19 yards per catch, scoring 71 touchdowns over that time.  He averaged around 3 catches per game.  

Toon had 517 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 12.8 yards per catch, scoring 31 touchdowns over that time.  H averaged around 5 catches per game over his career.

To say that Toon was way better than Walker is untrue.  Your opinion, fine.  My opinion is that Walker was the better player.  

You would think that with Toon being a bigger, possession type receiver, that he would have many more opportunities to score touchdowns, especially in the red zone than Walker.  On the contrary, Walker blows away Toon scoring 71 touchdowns compared to Toons 31.  

For my money, they were both great players.  Walker was a 2 time pro bowl player, and 1 time All pro.  Toon was a 3 time pro bowl player.  Both players deserve to be in the Jets ring of honor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He dislocated his kneecap and had it scoped out. If you can find anywhere that it’s a 10 month injury let us know. Becton can’t play because he’s overweight, which yeah is concerning for a young player

You just keep making it worse.  The Patella was injured.  You have no idea what they did to his knee what they found in there.  

Tell us, how much does Becton weigh or just stop.  Youre clueless to what he weighs, that he cant play because of his weight.  Youre just bitching to bitch

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Is there practice today?

Yup.  I think it is open to the press, so if reports come through, I will be able to post them.  It is either that or spend my morning handling insurance issues.  Even the Becton debates are better than reading insurance policies.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Wesley Walker had 438 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 19 yards per catch, scoring 71 touchdowns over that time.  He averaged around 3 catches per game.  

Toon had 517 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 12.8 yards per catch, scoring 31 touchdowns over that time.  H averaged around 5 catches per game over his career.

To say that Toon was way better than Walker is untrue.  Your opinion, fine.  My opinion is that Walker was the better player.  

You would think that with Toon being a bigger, possession type receiver, that he would have many more opportunities to score touchdowns, especially in the red zone than Walker.  On the contrary, Walker blows away Toon scoring 71 touchdowns compared to Toons 31.  

For my money, they were both great players.  Walker was a 2 time pro bowl player, and 1 time All pro.  Toon was a 3 time pro bowl player.  Both players deserve to be in the Jets ring of honor.

Walker had 2 1,000 yard seasons in a 13 season.  Toon had 2 in an 8 seasons.  They both had 1 all pro season.  Toon was a pro bowl player 3 times to Walkers 2.   Toon was the much better WR.  Toon made every catch and circus catches in double coverage all the time.  Walker beat single coverage all the time and dropped a ton of passes.  

Walker wasn't ever a great player.  He was very good with a ton of speed who often missed track balls that should have been huge gains.  When you talk about great WR Walker isn't in the conversation and sadly neither is Toon.  For my money Toon for a very brief time was as good as anyone I have ever seen.

Walker was a great deep threat.  They are a dime a dozen.  

To give you some perspective on Jets WR.  Before Toon played most fans think Maynard was the best ever.  He certainly put up stats.   Sauer who only played 3 years was all pro twice and had 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.  He lead the AFL in receptions in 67 and dropped nothing.  

In my opinion Toon is a lot like Gale Sayers.  A stunningly beautiful athlete who burned as bright as anyone for a very short time.   Walker was a great Jets WR who was a good not great NFL WR ever. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I think it is open to the press, so if reports come through, I will be able to post them.  It is either that or spend my morning handling insurance issues.  Even the Becton debates are better than reading insurance policies.

Yeah....it's open to the press or, at the very least, the press will have access to the players before/after.

Cimini mentioned in a tweet yesterday that Becton is going to be made available to talk to the press today....so it's going to get really really interesting on this board today.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yeah....it's open to the press or, at the very least, the press will have access to the players before/after.

Cimini mentioned in a tweet yesterday that Becton is going to be made available to talk to the press today....so it's going to get really really interesting on this board today.

They usually have a buffett set out for the press.  What could go wrong. 

• Haha 2

The Becton stuff is boring.  You can predict they are not going to rush him.  See him probably at the start of August or a bit delayed. Pray he is healthy to start the season and doing his work.  We know he can dominate if he puts in the work to stay healthy and get better . Dude threw Bosa around. Its just a gigantic if 

• Upvote 2

Becton showed up to camp last year out of shape. This after being banged up a bit his rookie year. After showing up to camp out of shape he gets embarrassed almost every day at camp by Lawson, and then gets hurt in game 1 and is never seen from again. This off-season he didn't show up to voluntary work outs, and now still not practicing at mandatory mini camp because he's still not 100% healthy, and did he show up out of shape once again?

So with all this said, why the heck is anyone surprised he gets dragged on social media? At least some of it is deserved.

Only way he'll shut up the critics is by getting healthy, staying healthy, and playing well. Results matter guys...

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is not a winning argument.

282C76FE-7506-4114-B07F-19634A19C029.jpeg

let's be honest, Becton had 10 months to get in shape and he showed up obese.   there's no excuse for that, period.   I wonder what the excuses are going to be when he ends up on PUP and we don't even see him practice until November. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Saleh speking now prior to today's practice:

It'd be really easy to say, "Yes, Becton is in shape and is ready to go as soon as he's cleared."

Either

1) He's not at his target weight or

2) Saleh is dumb and is being unnecessarily coy, which is only going to stoke media/fan rumors/hate at Becton.

• Upvote 3