Mini Camp Updates

Lith

13 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

If Becton showed up at a good weight Saleh would be praising him or at least would tells us.

"He's not practicing, but he worked hard this off-season and is at a great weight right now" 

By avoiding the question he's basically confirming what the pictures show.

400 or close to it... probably over. 

Seems to me a wild guess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Seems to me a wild guess.

Everyone that looked good was praised by coach to be in great shape and physically "beefy or better"

For him to avoid talking about Ticket tells you all you need to.

Why wouldn't he say his weight if it was even remotely close to what they want?

"He's not there yet, but he's close.   You can tell he's been working hard to get back" 

Instead it's crickets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am pretty sure Mekhi meets the press after today's practice..  There will be nothing he can say or do to quiet the critics until the pads come on.  My advice to him (for what its worth) is to stay off social media for the next 6 weeks, work his ass off, and show up to camp in shape and ready to go.

I am still rooting for him, I just wish I had more confidence that would happen.

I hope Becton has a moment and decides to take his shirt off for the presser so we can evaluate

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Everyone that looked good was praised by coach to be in great shape and physically "beefy or better"

For him to avoid talking about Ticket tells you all you need to.

Why wouldn't he say his weight if it was even remotely close to what they want?

"He's not there yet, but he's close.   You can tell he's been working hard to get back" 

Instead it's crickets. 

Mind if I call you Jimmy 12 Times?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, CSNY said:

The reason he was a possession receiver is solely on Walton and how he utilized him  Toon could get deep with the best of them when he got into the league 

I remember when he and Jerry Rice was considered 1 and 1A and they didn't say who was who.  I loved WW but Toon was the best receiver the Jets ever drafted.   Bad playcalling resulting to injuries (concussions I believe) led to his premature retirement.  But when he was healthy, he was a true BEAST.   Having said that, WW is still my favorite Jet of all time. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I remember when he and Jerry Rice was considered 1 and 1A and they didn't say who was who.  I loved WW but Toon was the best receiver the Jets ever drafted.   Bad playcalling resulting to injuries (concussions I believe) led to his premature retirement.  But when he was healthy, he was a true BEAST.   Having said that, WW is still my favorite Jet of all time. 

This is one of those discussion where I am happy to let someone else take the first pick, and I will take whichever guy is left behind.  Both great players who brought different things to the table.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Wesley Walker had 438 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 19 yards per catch, scoring 71 touchdowns over that time.  He averaged around 3 catches per game.  

Toon had 517 receptions in his illustrious career, averaging 12.8 yards per catch, scoring 31 touchdowns over that time.  H averaged around 5 catches per game over his career.

To say that Toon was way better than Walker is untrue.  Your opinion, fine.  My opinion is that Walker was the better player.  

You would think that with Toon being a bigger, possession type receiver, that he would have many more opportunities to score touchdowns, especially in the red zone than Walker.  On the contrary, Walker blows away Toon scoring 71 touchdowns compared to Toons 31.  

For my money, they were both great players.  Walker was a 2 time pro bowl player, and 1 time All pro.  Toon was a 3 time pro bowl player.  Both players deserve to be in the Jets ring of honor.

You do realize that Toon retired way too early because of concussions? In fact he was really in the prime of his career and if not for the injury could have played another 4-5 seasons, perhaps more.  After his rookie and soph seasons, he was considered the equal of Jerry Rice.  Lets be honest, as much as we all love Walker, he was never in that conversation.  In some respects I think Walker was under utilized but maybe that helped prolong his career.   I can only just imagine him (and Toon) in todays game where dbs get flagged if they sneeze on the receiver.   He would be another Tareek Hill.  

• Upvote 2