Execs stack the NFL's six sophomore quarterbacks: Where does Zach Wilson rank?

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

True. I didnt watch him play last year. So I dont know what to make of him. He’s also another guy that didnt have much around him.

Plus there was a bit of a media circus and mess of a front office in Houston, to boot.

All that, and he still completed 67 % of his throws, threw only 10 INTs and averaged 6.8 YPA.  Not bad at all, rook.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I Dont Think So Hell To The No GIF by Bounce

There are a lot of things you can say about McCorkle.  Bad is not one of them.  His ceiling is not as high as Zach's?  Sure.  He will never be a Top 5 NFL QB?  Sure.  Does not have a cannon arm?  Yup.  Cannot do the McGriddy?  Fair.  

Mac is good.  That might be all he will ever be.  He will not be bad.

I think the appropriate word for Mac is limited.  

He's very good for what he is.  

We will see if the league catches up to him and turns him into a Pennington type of player or if he can continue to get stronger. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus there was a bit of a media circus and mess of a front office in Houston, to boot.

All that, and he still completed 67 % of his throws, threw only 10 INTs and averaged 6.8 YPA.  Not bad at all, rook.

Davis Mills numbers were pretty amazing considering the lack of weapons and what a dumpster fire the Texans were.  If he put up those numbers in NY, many fans would be penciling him in as a Top 15 QB in 2022. 

What's fascinating is that he actually has an amazing "pocket passer" pedigree - ranked near top coming out of HS, and ticks all the boxes in terms of size, arm talent, ability to make all the throw, reading defenses.  Injuries and the drop in the market valuation for pocket passers (I dont think there is anything elite about his athletic ability) made him a 2nd round pick.

I think he has a chance to be better than Mac!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jNYC1 said:

Davis Mills numbers were pretty amazing considering the lack of weapons and what a dumpster fire the Texans were.  If he put up those numbers in NY, many fans would be penciling him in as a Top 15 QB in 2022. 

What's fascinating is that he actually has an amazing "pocket passer" pedigree - ranked near top coming out of HS, and ticks all the boxes in terms of size, arm talent, ability to make all the throw, reading defenses.  Injuries and the drop in the market valuation for pocket passers (I dont think there is anything elite about his athletic ability) made him a 2nd round pick.

* 3rd round pick!  # 67 overall.

2 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Yeah but Chris Simms didn’t rate him highly 

This is a ripoff. Lawrence was essentially as bad as Zach Wilson. He's getting too many excuses. Here's my list:

1. Mac Jones. I know we all hate him here, but he's the only one who has any significant playoff experience at this point, and he was the only one who really seemed ready for the NFL. He's only poised to play the same next season. 22-13 TD-INT, 3800 yards in 17 games.

2. Davis Mills. Despite playing as the QB of the Texans, he actually looked pretty ok in some of his games. He was definitely better than many of the others. I don't really know what type of situation he's going to be in next season, but he's shown to play better than everybody else. 16-10 TD-INT, 2600 yards in 13 games

Now time for the harder to rank:

3. Trevor Lawrence. His stats are better than Wilson's, but still pretty bad. He started off a lot stronger than he finished, and had an 8 game streak or something without a single TD pass. Still had over 1000 more yards than Zach Wilson and played all 17 games. However, he doesn't look in nearly as good of a position to me. 12-17 TD-INT, 3600 yards in 17 games.

4. Zach Wilson. He started off absolutely awful, and I thought for quite a while that he was another bust. But after his injury he fixed his main problem of protecting the ball and also started getting better with his dirt throws. His accuracy didn't improve after his injury despite what everybody here says, but overall he started to look better, which is always a good sign. He had pretty bad numbers for 13 games though. 9 -11 TD-INT, 2300 yards in 13 games.

5. Justin Fields. This poor guy got stuck with the Bears and has to deal with a coaching change right off the bat. Furthermore, Chicago spent their 2 2nd rounders on Defense, so Fields better hope that free agency... Wait nevermind the Bears didn't really help with that. Fields got battered and smacked around. He didn't wow anybody and looked pretty bad. 7-10 TD-INT ratio, 1870 yards in 12 games.

6. Trey Lance. Honestly not a lot of footage on him, but he does have the best TD-INT ratio of the 6. I don't think he's ready to start yet but if the Niners cut Garappolo we will find out real fast. 5-2 TD-INT ratio, 603 yards in 6 games.

I still can't believe they ranked Mills so low despite him having one of the best completion % of the bunch. This seemed more like a kind of mixed draft spots list.

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think the appropriate word for Mac is limited.  

He's very good for what he is.  

We will see if the league catches up to him and turns him into a Pennington type of player or if he can continue to get stronger. 

I think that is the key and fair to say.

By all accounts, he works on his craft.  He said he has changed his diet. FWIW, his face looks thinner and he does not look like he has as much of a dad bod.  He went and saw Tom Brady's QB guru Tom House and worked on his mechanics.

My only push back on anti Mac sentiment is the belief he cannot get better.  Pick a QB.  Josh Allen, Tom Brady or the latest popular favorite Joe Burrow.  None of them were great in their rookie years, but they worked on their craft and got better.  Mac deserves that benefit.

His ceiling might be Pennington.  Pennington was not bad.  He just was not Brady or Manning.  

On 6/15/2022 at 10:12 PM, Hex said:

This is a ripoff. Lawrence was essentially as bad as Zach Wilson. He's getting too many excuses. Here's my list:

1. Mac Jones. I know we all hate him here, but he's the only one who has any significant playoff experience at this point, and he was the only one who really seemed ready for the NFL. He's only poised to play the same next season. 22-13 TD-INT, 3800 yards in 17 games.

2. Davis Mills. Despite playing as the QB of the Texans, he actually looked pretty ok in some of his games. He was definitely better than many of the others. I don't really know what type of situation he's going to be in next season, but he's shown to play better than everybody else. 16-10 TD-INT, 2600 yards in 13 games

3. Trevor Lawrence. His stats are better than Wilson's, but still pretty bad. He started off a lot stronger than he finished, and had an 8 game streak or something without a single TD pass. Still had over 1000 more yards than Zach Wilson and played all 17 games. However, he doesn't look in nearly as good of a position to me. 12-17 TD-INT, 3600 yards in 17 games.

4. Zach Wilson. He started off absolutely awful, and I thought for quite a while that he was another bust. But after his injury he fixed his main problem of protecting the ball and also started getting better with his dirt throws. His accuracy didn't improve after his injury despite what everybody here says, but overall he started to look better, which is always a good sign. He had pretty bad numbers for 13 games though. 9 -11 TD-INT, 2300 yards in 13 games.

5. Justin Fields. This poor guy got stuck with the Bears and has to deal with a coaching change right off the bat. Furthermore, Chicago spent their 2 2nd rounders on Defense, so Fields better hope that free agency... Wait nevermind the Bears didn't really help with that. Fields got battered and smacked around. He didn't wow anybody and looked pretty bad. 7-10 TD-INT ratio, 1870 yards in 12 games.

6. Trey Lance. Honestly not a lot of footage on him, but he does have the best TD-INT ratio of the 6. I don't think he's ready to start yet but if the Niners cut Garappolo we will find out real fast. 5-2 TD-INT ratio, 603 yards in 6 games.

I still can't believe they ranked Mills so low despite him having one of the best completion % of the bunch. This seemed more like a kind of mixed draft spots list.

Lawrence sucked but his head coach was an absentee clown and his OC was a notorious QB killer

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:12 PM, Hex said:

Agree with everything you say but I thought Fields was horrible last season.  He’s going to be really bad

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1