Jump to content

Mosley Is Getting Better As 30 Nears


BUM-KNEE
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That was going to be my take as well.

He does not suck.   Is he a 17 million dollar difference maker?   Not really, but that is hard to be from the inside LB position where you aren't getting sacks.  With such a young defense you do need some vets out there, trying to get people lined up and doing the right thing.

I fully expect Mose to have a solid season, and if he plays all season that is still better than 2 of his previous 3, so I guess that's improving.  It's not his fault Mac gave him that money, if someone offered to triple my current salary for the next few years, I'd probably change jobs too.

FA contract are made up to a large degree out of supply and demand, being in the right place at the right time.  

Doesnt mean he sucks anymore than 168 tackles suck

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, Jet Nut said:

He didnt suck, no matter how many times bitonti says it or no matter what Mac paid him.  Not saying he was all world, just saying he didnt suck and while every tackle was 5 yards downfield was also said about Farrior and Vilma.  After our fanbase dumped them they went onto to became heroes with Pitt and NO.  And lets face it, LBs dont play on the LOS so yes the majority of their tackles are a few yards off of the line of scrimmage.  You dont make 168 tackles and suck.  Throw in some rust and playing a new position, at a new weight and he wasnt the reason why the D sucked.  

Mosley wasn't good last year, no matter how many times over-loyal fans say so. And it's a fallacy that one can't compile tackles and suck. It's happened plenty, for players on the Jets and elsewhere. A tackle isn't a stop if it happens past the 1st down marker. Mosley was very much part of the problem with the D last year, and as a massively-overpaid veteran he is wholly undeserving of being graded on a curve like he was some rookie learning to adapt to the pro game. So yeah as much as it pains me to say it, @bitonti is spot-on here.

Further, his last year in particular, it was kinda true about Vilma as well. The Jets let him go because they got tired of watching him get dragged past the first down marker if he made initial contact in front of it, or get taken out of the play outright by fullbacks. It was hard to watch, and his last year here he sucked even before the injury. It's a big part of why no one would surrender more than a conditional 4th round pick for him in the first place (and only one was willing to surrender even that much, even though it was obvious he'd make a full recovery medically). He was an average to below average run-stopper pretty much his whole career if a team ran or sent a blocker right at him, though his first couple years in the league he could (better than most) cover a lot of ground laterally. By the '08 offseason Jets 100% did the right thing by getting rid of him. While he also shouldn't have been given that final Jets contract himself, Harris was a noticeable upgrade from Vilma for most of his career.

Farrior had basically one good season here, which followed 4 years of not. He then left because the Jets offered him less money than Mickens or something (but he still took even less than that from the Steelers iirc). Parcells really screwed that '97 draft up horribly, passing on multiple HOFers so he could trade down & settle for Farrior, who was then benched when the team instead added Bryan Cox in '98, with the D improving dramatically in the process (despite also losing Marvin Jones before the season started, just as he was becoming the stud he was drafted to be). 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If mosely stays healthy and has a great year, this will get very interesting.  From the jets point of view, they cant pay a lb that kind of money but he is the leader of the def.

From mosleys point of view, hes going to have to take a pay cut or be cut.  Does he really want to start all over again at his age.

My prediction, if mosely plays great and stays healthy, the jets will work out a deal where they guarantee mosely 2 more years, but at a lower cost.

What do u guys think?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If mosely stays healthy and has a great year, this will get very interesting.  From the jets point of view, they cant pay a lb that kind of money but he is the leader of the def.

From mosleys point of view, hes going to have to take a pay cut or be cut.  Does he really want to start all over again at his age.

My prediction, if mosely plays great and stays healthy, the jets will work out a deal where they guarantee mosely 2 more years, but at a lower cost.

What do u guys think?

Can’t put blame entirely on Mosely   as most times he was the first defensive player to get a hit on a running back after they had a five to seven yard start untouched so of course he’s going to get knocked backwards. Is he worth his current salary? absolutely not Is he worth resigning at a considerable pay cut?
At this point I think so as we don’t really have his replacement on the roster since JD traded Blake Cashman for a fifth rounder I swear that JD had pictures of the Texans GM in compromising positions with small farm animals to get anything for Cashman

Don’t know how he pulled that off 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Can’t put blame entirely on Mosely   as most times he was the first defensive player to get a hit on a running back after they had a five to seven yard start untouched so of course he’s going to get knocked backwards. Is he worth his current salary? absolutely not Is he worth resigning at a considerable pay cut?
At this point I think so as we don’t really have his replacement on the roster since JD traded Blake Cashman for a fifth rounder I swear that JD had pictures of the Texans GM in compromising positions with small farm animals to get anything for Cashman

Don’t know how he pulled that off 

Thats why hes The Master.  Didnt he get a 4th for herndon?  I mean, why any gm would pick up the phone when joe calls is beyond me.

You tell the secretary, “If Joe Douglas calls and you put him through, you’re fired!”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats why hes The Master.  Didnt he get a 4th for herndon?  I mean, why any gm would pick up the phone when joe calls is beyond me.

You tell the secretary, “If Joe Douglas calls and you put him through, you’re fired!”

Can’t agree with him being the master cause if he can get a fifth for Cashman he definitely should have gotten, at the very least a second for Herndon 😊

Even if his picks don’t all work out you can see a plan of building a team instead of the slap dash roster building of the previous 10 years. Firmly in JD’s corner. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mosley wasn't good last year, no matter how many times over-loyal fans say so. And it's a fallacy that one can't compile tackles and suck. It's happened plenty, for players on the Jets and elsewhere. A tackle isn't a stop if it happens past the 1st down marker. Mosley was very much part of the problem with the D last year, and as a massively-overpaid veteran he is wholly undeserving of being graded on a curve like he was some rookie learning to adapt to the pro game. So yeah as much as it pains me to say it, @bitonti is spot-on here.

Further, his last year in particular, it was kinda true about Vilma as well. The Jets let him go because they got tired of watching him get dragged past the first down marker if he made initial contact in front of it, or get taken out of the play outright by fullbacks. It was hard to watch, and his last year here he sucked even before the injury. It's a big part of why no one would surrender more than a conditional 4th round pick for him in the first place (and only one was willing to surrender even that much, even though it was obvious he'd make a full recovery medically). He was an average to below average run-stopper pretty much his whole career if a team ran or sent a blocker right at him, though his first couple years in the league he could (better than most) cover a lot of ground laterally. By the '08 offseason Jets 100% did the right thing by getting rid of him. While he also shouldn't have been given that final Jets contract himself, Harris was a noticeable upgrade from Vilma for most of his career.

Farrior had basically one good season here, which followed 4 years of not. He then left because the Jets offered him less money than Mickens or something (but he still took even less than that from the Steelers iirc). Parcells really screwed that '97 draft up horribly, passing on multiple HOFers so he could trade down & settle for Farrior, who was then benched when the team instead added Bryan Cox in '98, with the D improving dramatically in the process. 

All I said is he didn’t suck.  You can say bit was right, that he sucked and I just didn’t see a player who sucked.  He’s also said he was the worst.  And of course the worst comment, all of his 168 tackles were more than 5 yards downfield.  
Funny Vilma sucked, Farrior sucked.  Both went on to becoming key pieces to their teams.  
Again agree to disagree

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

That was going to be my take as well.

He does not suck.   Is he a 17 million dollar difference maker?   Not really, but that is hard to be from the inside LB position where you aren't getting sacks. 

 

His sole job/strength is making tackles and he only had 2 TFLs all season.  

His pass coverage was lousy (113.5 QB Rating when targeted), he doesn't get to the QB, and considering he was on the field for nearly 1100 snaps, his 2 Forced Fumbles is merely acceptable, nothing great.

He also had a whopping 18 Missed Tackles (9.7 Missed Tackle %).  Only Alex Singleton of the Eagles (20) had more Missed Tackles last year, and a Missed Tackle % that high is what you expect to see out of DB's, not LB's.  For reference, 3rd year project and teammate Quincy Williams' Missed Tackle % was 9.8.

 

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 3:56 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

 

His sole job/strength is making tackles and he only had 2 TFLs all season.  

His pass coverage was lousy (113.5 QB Rating when targeted), he doesn't get to the QB, and considering he was on the field for nearly 1100 snaps, his 2 Forced Fumbles is merely acceptable, nothing great.

He also had a whopping 18 Missed Tackles (9.7 Missed Tackle %).  Only Alex Singleton of the Eagles (20) had more Missed Tackles last year, and a Missed Tackle % that high is what you expect to see out of DB's, not LB's.  For reference, 3rd year project and teammate Quincy Williams' Missed Tackle % was 9.8.

 

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

Tua gonna wreck us. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, CSNY said:

Can’t put blame entirely on Mosely   as most times he was the first defensive player to get a hit on a running back after they had a five to seven yard start untouched so of course he’s going to get knocked backwards. Is he worth his current salary? absolutely not Is he worth resigning at a considerable pay cut?
At this point I think so as we don’t really have his replacement on the roster since JD traded Blake Cashman for a fifth rounder I swear that JD had pictures of the Texans GM in compromising positions with small farm animals to get anything for Cashman

Don’t know how he pulled that off 

I’ll bite. Who is to blame?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s coaches and 11 men on defense so to blame one person just doesn’t make sense

To me a lot of the issues were that the defensive lineman were spaced waaaaay to wide, creating natural running lanes and with the d line focusing on rushing the passer with little regard to stop the run left the LBs vulnerable

Also with the emphasis on speed to cover in the passing game you had lighter LBs who couldn’t take on o lineman that had over 70 pounds on them. Didn’t have a David Harris or a Bart Scott who were very stout against the rush Mosely and any other LB were put in a untenable position to defend the rush. 
That said I don’t think Mosely played all that great and is not worth the money he’s making but he’s not the sole reason the Jets were at the bottom of the league in rush defense 

One other nugget is even Urlich who stated in one of the segments of the 2022 series that he didn’t do a good job of putting people in the right places so they can succeed 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I’ll bite. Who is to blame?

Now @jgb what is your theory on who’s to blame 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CSNY said:

It’s coaches and 11 men on defense so to blame one person just doesn’t make sense

To me a lot of the issues were that the defensive lineman were spaced waaaaay to wide, creating natural running lanes and with the d line focusing on rushing the passer with little regard to stop the run left the LBs vulnerable

Also with the emphasis on speed to cover in the passing game you had lighter LBs who couldn’t take on o lineman that had over 70 pounds on them. Didn’t have a David Harris or a Bart Scott who were very stout against the rush Mosely and any other LB were put in a untenable position to defend the rush. 
That said I don’t think Mosely played all that great and is not worth the money he’s making but he’s not the sole reason the Jets were at the bottom of the league in rush defense 

One other nugget is even Urlich who stated in one of the segments of the 2022 series that he didn’t do a good job of putting people in the right places so they can succeed 

Now @jgb what is your theory on who’s to blame 

 

Not trying to speak for @jgb here, but I dunno, blaming most of Mosley's problems on the 1st-year DC when Mosley makes $17M a year falls short for me.  

Mosley is supposed to be the defacto leader of the defense.  If he isn't going to make plays himself (which he didn't last year), then the unit at least should be performing a little better as a whole due to his presence.  Instead it was one of the worst defense's the NFL has ever seen.  That doesn't really fall squarely/mostly on Ulbrich's shoulders.  Pretty sure Ulbrich makes a small fraction of what Mosley does.

In any case BOTH of them are out of excuses.  There's plenty of talent on the roster for Mosley and the D to be at least competent this year.  It'll be pretty clear what the worth and competency of BOTH guys are this season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CSNY said:

It’s coaches and 11 men on defense so to blame one person just doesn’t make sense

To me a lot of the issues were that the defensive lineman were spaced waaaaay to wide, creating natural running lanes and with the d line focusing on rushing the passer with little regard to stop the run left the LBs vulnerable

Also with the emphasis on speed to cover in the passing game you had lighter LBs who couldn’t take on o lineman that had over 70 pounds on them. Didn’t have a David Harris or a Bart Scott who were very stout against the rush Mosely and any other LB were put in a untenable position to defend the rush. 
That said I don’t think Mosely played all that great and is not worth the money he’s making but he’s not the sole reason the Jets were at the bottom of the league in rush defense 

One other nugget is even Urlich who stated in one of the segments of the 2022 series that he didn’t do a good job of putting people in the right places so they can succeed 

Thank you for your good faith, honest assessment and response.

5 hours ago, CSNY said:

Now @jgb what is your theory on who’s to blame 

No need, I got people for that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...