Why Micheal Clemons Will Be Elite Pass Rusher With Jets

I'm glad we got him, as it gives us flexibility at the end position, but by Kelly's own assessment, Clemons is mediocre against the run, has one spin move, and tends to overpower his blocker. What's his first step like? Unstated. How much bend does he have? Unstated. Basically this is a review of productivity on the college level, which is important, but ceiling is hard to judge. Seems a hype article based primarily on the LSU game with over-the-top statements like Johnson should have gone in the fourth and Clemons in the first... that's pretty ridiculous, both ways. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, PorP said:

I agree and you summed it up well. I'm not a Kelly fan. 

I am however a big Clemons fan!  I think he is low hanging fruit for Kelly too be right about. Clemons would have been drafted a lot earlier if it weren't for his off the field nonsense.  Hopefully he keeps his head right and shows the nfl he's a monster. 

Oh, I do like Clemons a lot too. Just don't want Kelly to take credit for "finding" him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

This former Jets scout evaluates fourth-round pick Micheal Clemons, praising his ability to rush the passer.

DANIEL KELLY (author:  is this Kelly guy legit?)

Micheal Clemons is the best pass rusher on the Jets roster.

That’s what I walked away thinking after I studied his game film at Texas A&M.

Jets’ General Manager Joe Douglas scored big in the fourth round on this one.

Clemons was tenacious as a pass rusher last season and he put on a clinic against LSU.

How in the world could somebody as talented as Clemons last until the fourth round?

Not everything is about the game film.

Information gathering is a part of the evaluation process too and Clemons had some real red flags off the field.

According to past reports, Clemons was arrested. Charges included unlawful carrying a weapon, failure to identify/giving false information, less than two ounces of marijuana possession, and driving with an invalid license.

None of that stopped the Jets who felt comfortable taking Clemons.

“We feel the talent level is obviously high,” Douglas said, per SNY. “What he brings from a length, toughness, and speed off the edge, certainly you can say he’s a first, second-day talent level. You get to a certain point in the draft where risk is mitigated. Felt good about that and where we added him.”

So while there are off-field issues that were taken into consideration, I agree with Douglas. I would have done the same thing if a player of Clemons’ caliber was still sitting on the board in the fourth-round.

Clemons was way better than Jets’ first-round pick Jermaine Johnson on game film.

If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round.

Clemons was fun to watch and he was consistently a menace pressuring quarterbacks. I hardly had room in my notes for as many pressures as he had in just three games (46 pressures over 10 games in 2021).

Now the Jets just have to keep their fingers crossed that Clemons “stays out of the newspapers and doesn’t go where he’s not wanted,” which is what Bill Parcells said at the end of practice back when he was the head coach of the Jets.

New York has to hope that whole off-field situation was just a “one-off,” and a night of bad decisions. That may be a little too optimistic as most often behaviors tend to resurface, but the Jets had to try.

New York’s pass-rush last season was pitiful, and they only averaged 1.9 sacks per game (No. 25).

If the Jets’ defense can’t get to the QB, they do not stand a chance in today’s NFL. While John Franklin-Myers is decent, I would not hold my breath on Johnson, Jacob Martin or Carl Lawson.

If he can stay out of trouble, Clemons is going to lead this team in sacks as a 25-year old rookie.

Grading Micheal Clemons

6-foot-5, 270 pounds

2021 Texas A&M game film reviewed: Arkansas, LSU and Alabama

2021 stats: 32 tackles (23 solo), 11 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 2 passes defensed

Grade: A - (Blue-chip player and elite)

Scouting Report

Tenacious bullish human battering ram with natural brute power, good technique and he is QB minded. Mean and nasty disposition. Flip flops back and forth from left to right side and can line up with his hand in the dirt or standing up. Consistently wants to get to the passer. No frills power rusher who did not show any moves except spin back to the inside. Uses hands well at the point and combines strength to create needed separation. Never quits. Ball of energy. Can get hung out to dry on the perimeter but it takes a strong effort to stop him. Otherwise, just keeps coming and gets pressures that way too. Powerful human being. Ran over the LSU LT. Can stunt and push through inside gaps. Lacks top speed to consistently blow through the back door. Works to make tackles against the run. Occasionally comes off a block, chases one down or can blow things up on a stop for a loss. However, proved to be far less impactful vs. the run than the pass. Big pressure guy.

Bottom Line

Clemons has the mentality it takes to be elite. He is tough as a hammer and he thrives off the physicality of playing in the trenches.

He smashes around inside like cars getting into accidents.

Clemons does somethings most ends cannot do.

I can’t say enough good things about Clemons. I recognize greatness when I see it.

WOW,

I hope that this kid can hold it together. Good read, thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

This former Jets scout evaluates fourth-round pick Micheal Clemons, praising his ability to rush the passer.

DANIEL KELLY (author:  is this Kelly guy legit?)

Micheal Clemons is the best pass rusher on the Jets roster.

That’s what I walked away thinking after I studied his game film at Texas A&M.

Jets’ General Manager Joe Douglas scored big in the fourth round on this one.

Clemons was tenacious as a pass rusher last season and he put on a clinic against LSU.

How in the world could somebody as talented as Clemons last until the fourth round?

Not everything is about the game film.

Information gathering is a part of the evaluation process too and Clemons had some real red flags off the field.

According to past reports, Clemons was arrested. Charges included unlawful carrying a weapon, failure to identify/giving false information, less than two ounces of marijuana possession, and driving with an invalid license.

None of that stopped the Jets who felt comfortable taking Clemons.

“We feel the talent level is obviously high,” Douglas said, per SNY. “What he brings from a length, toughness, and speed off the edge, certainly you can say he’s a first, second-day talent level. You get to a certain point in the draft where risk is mitigated. Felt good about that and where we added him.”

So while there are off-field issues that were taken into consideration, I agree with Douglas. I would have done the same thing if a player of Clemons’ caliber was still sitting on the board in the fourth-round.

Clemons was way better than Jets’ first-round pick Jermaine Johnson on game film.

If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round.

Clemons was fun to watch and he was consistently a menace pressuring quarterbacks. I hardly had room in my notes for as many pressures as he had in just three games (46 pressures over 10 games in 2021).

Now the Jets just have to keep their fingers crossed that Clemons “stays out of the newspapers and doesn’t go where he’s not wanted,” which is what Bill Parcells said at the end of practice back when he was the head coach of the Jets.

New York has to hope that whole off-field situation was just a “one-off,” and a night of bad decisions. That may be a little too optimistic as most often behaviors tend to resurface, but the Jets had to try.

New York’s pass-rush last season was pitiful, and they only averaged 1.9 sacks per game (No. 25).

If the Jets’ defense can’t get to the QB, they do not stand a chance in today’s NFL. While John Franklin-Myers is decent, I would not hold my breath on Johnson, Jacob Martin or Carl Lawson.

If he can stay out of trouble, Clemons is going to lead this team in sacks as a 25-year old rookie.

Grading Micheal Clemons

6-foot-5, 270 pounds

2021 Texas A&M game film reviewed: Arkansas, LSU and Alabama

2021 stats: 32 tackles (23 solo), 11 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 2 passes defensed

Grade: A - (Blue-chip player and elite)

Scouting Report

Tenacious bullish human battering ram with natural brute power, good technique and he is QB minded. Mean and nasty disposition. Flip flops back and forth from left to right side and can line up with his hand in the dirt or standing up. Consistently wants to get to the passer. No frills power rusher who did not show any moves except spin back to the inside. Uses hands well at the point and combines strength to create needed separation. Never quits. Ball of energy. Can get hung out to dry on the perimeter but it takes a strong effort to stop him. Otherwise, just keeps coming and gets pressures that way too. Powerful human being. Ran over the LSU LT. Can stunt and push through inside gaps. Lacks top speed to consistently blow through the back door. Works to make tackles against the run. Occasionally comes off a block, chases one down or can blow things up on a stop for a loss. However, proved to be far less impactful vs. the run than the pass. Big pressure guy.

Bottom Line

Clemons has the mentality it takes to be elite. He is tough as a hammer and he thrives off the physicality of playing in the trenches.

He smashes around inside like cars getting into accidents.

Clemons does somethings most ends cannot do.

I can’t say enough good things about Clemons. I recognize greatness when I see it.

Thanks for sharing.  I want to know your thoughts on Clemons.  Do you see it?

Personally, it’s great to have an edge guy who can win with power.  He proved that in the SEC!

At the very least, I see a guy who can push the pocket backward making it uncomfortable for the QB and creating opportunities for himself & others to pick up sacks.  There are few more beautiful sites than to see the opposing team’s pocket collapse and the fear in the Qb’s face.

I also love the pick from a mentality viewpoint.  The Jets have been soft for years.  We need guys like this to finally change that part of our culture.

Lastly, a shrewd insurance policy in case Lawson doesn’t regain his form or if JJ flops.  I’m loving how JD is playing the numbers probability game.  JFM, JJ, Lawson, Huff, Martin, Clemons, Curry..

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thanks for sharing.  I want to know your thoughts on Clemons.  Do you see it?

Personally, it’s great to have an edge guy who can win with power.  He proved that in the SEC!

At the very least, I see a guy who can push the pocket backward making it uncomfortable for the QB and creating opportunities for himself & others to pick up sacks.  There are few more beautiful sites than to see the opposing team’s pocket collapse and the fear in the Qb’s face.

I also love the pick from a mentality viewpoint.  The Jets have been soft for years.  We need guys like this to finally change that part of our culture.

Lastly, a shrewd insurance policy in case Lawson doesn’t regain his form or if JJ flops.  I’m loving how JD is playing the numbers probability game.  JFM, JJ, Lawson, Huff, Martin, Clemons, Curry..

I heard or read somewhere that he can play inside as well as outside.  Our HC loves that sort of versality.  Also when he speaks he sounds like a man among boys.  That is impressive.  He might be a bit shady but as long as there are only very few in our locker room that shouldn't do any harm.  I think he very well might turn out to be a good teammate and player for us.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I don't expect much of a pass rusher.  What I like is that he supposedly is another "motor" guy.  I think he and Johnson are both plus athletes that can give it all until the whistle.  Lawson is kind of the same.  This would hopefully prevent broken plays from resulting in much and result in some coverage sacks if the new DBs pay off.  I would be shocked if they get to 15 combined.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This Daniel Kelly guy is as predictable as they come. 

Condemn high picks and praise lower picks so, if the top picks bust or the lower picks soar, you can claim to be a genius who "told" everyone before it happened.

If it doesn't happen, pretend you never made the predictions and assume no-one remembers.

Sometimes, I hate the Internet.

He is on a Jets Facebook fan page and half the forum members are requesting the mods take him off.  He was a scout for 5 mins over 20 years ago and as youve noted his takes are obvious click bait. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This Daniel Kelly guy is as predictable as they come. 

Condemn high picks and praise lower picks so, if the top picks bust or the lower picks soar, you can claim to be a genius who "told" everyone before it happened.

If it doesn't happen, pretend you never made the predictions and assume no-one remembers.

Sometimes, I hate the Internet.

He loved the Sauce, G. Wilson and Hall picks. Comped the latter to Adrian Peterson and predicted Sauce would be the NFL's best cover corner in a couple years. 

The only Jets top pick he didn't like was JJ. So 25% of the Jets first 4 picks he didn't like. He doesn't do what you suggest, at all.

Lets be honest here—he was very critical of the QB coming out and a large portion of the fanbase will never forgive him for that, no matter what he says here on out.

• Sympathy 1

there's a reason why he was a late round pick. although 4th round is high enough that douglas saw something.  a&m has also turned out some pretty good edge rushers and cbs so maybe he will continue the tradition.  playing in a good conference certainly helps.  we'll see.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I heard or read somewhere that he can play inside as well as outside.  Our HC loves that sort of versality.

I remember hearing this as well. I imagine he’ll be used in a similar capacity as JFM, playing inside some on rushing downs. Good for stunting, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

He loved the Sauce, G. Wilson and Hall picks. Comped the latter to Adrian Peterson and predicted Sauce would be the NFL's best cover corner in a couple years. 

The only Jets top pick he didn't like was JJ. So 25% of the Jets first 4 picks he didn't like. He doesn't do what you suggest, at all.

Lets be honest here—he was very critical of the QB coming out and a large portion of the fanbase will never forgive him for that, no matter what he says here on out.

He may have said he liked the pick but also said we should have taken a offensive tackle at 4.   So pick your take.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:33 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

25 year old Rookie!?

On 6/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, that too is why we got him in the 4th.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Which also skews his performance in college as well as limiting his ceiling as a pro. But it's a great pick in the fourth round, despite that.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Smashmouth said:

That would be an Issue in the first round not the 4th. 

Clemons and Maine are less than a year and a half apart in age for pete's sake. It wasn't age that separated their draft locations.  Off field risk and can't be sure that Clemons can do much else than motor an angry path to the QB where Johnson can do a lot more and give us a pass rush. 

Johnson turns 24 this season. I know I'll be excited when they bring Clemons in for plays.  Every one here will be. I'm also excited to see JJ to anchor the line for a long time.  Get used to it. Imagine if both picks get it done?