Why Micheal Clemons Will Be Elite Pass Rusher With Jets

21 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Isn't this the guy who was scouting intern for like 2 months then got canned for stealing copier codes or something like that?

New to me.  Probably not allowed to discuss it if so.    

We also can’t talk about his Aaron Hernandez autograph tattoo and praise the departed serial killer.  Or the lady lips tattoo on the left side of his neck.  

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This former Jets scout evaluates fourth-round pick Micheal Clemons, praising his ability to rush the passer.

DANIEL KELLY (author:  is this Kelly guy legit?)

Micheal Clemons is the best pass rusher on the Jets roster.

That’s what I walked away thinking after I studied his game film at Texas A&M.

Jets’ General Manager Joe Douglas scored big in the fourth round on this one.

Clemons was tenacious as a pass rusher last season and he put on a clinic against LSU.

How in the world could somebody as talented as Clemons last until the fourth round?

Not everything is about the game film.

Information gathering is a part of the evaluation process too and Clemons had some real red flags off the field.

According to past reports, Clemons was arrested. Charges included unlawful carrying a weapon, failure to identify/giving false information, less than two ounces of marijuana possession, and driving with an invalid license.

None of that stopped the Jets who felt comfortable taking Clemons.

“We feel the talent level is obviously high,” Douglas said, per SNY. “What he brings from a length, toughness, and speed off the edge, certainly you can say he’s a first, second-day talent level. You get to a certain point in the draft where risk is mitigated. Felt good about that and where we added him.”

So while there are off-field issues that were taken into consideration, I agree with Douglas. I would have done the same thing if a player of Clemons’ caliber was still sitting on the board in the fourth-round.

Clemons was way better than Jets’ first-round pick Jermaine Johnson on game film.

If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round.

Clemons was fun to watch and he was consistently a menace pressuring quarterbacks. I hardly had room in my notes for as many pressures as he had in just three games (46 pressures over 10 games in 2021).

Now the Jets just have to keep their fingers crossed that Clemons “stays out of the newspapers and doesn’t go where he’s not wanted,” which is what Bill Parcells said at the end of practice back when he was the head coach of the Jets.

New York has to hope that whole off-field situation was just a “one-off,” and a night of bad decisions. That may be a little too optimistic as most often behaviors tend to resurface, but the Jets had to try.

New York’s pass-rush last season was pitiful, and they only averaged 1.9 sacks per game (No. 25).

If the Jets’ defense can’t get to the QB, they do not stand a chance in today’s NFL. While John Franklin-Myers is decent, I would not hold my breath on Johnson, Jacob Martin or Carl Lawson.

If he can stay out of trouble, Clemons is going to lead this team in sacks as a 25-year old rookie.

Grading Micheal Clemons

6-foot-5, 270 pounds

2021 Texas A&M game film reviewed: Arkansas, LSU and Alabama

2021 stats: 32 tackles (23 solo), 11 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 2 passes defensed

Grade: A - (Blue-chip player and elite)

Scouting Report

Tenacious bullish human battering ram with natural brute power, good technique and he is QB minded. Mean and nasty disposition. Flip flops back and forth from left to right side and can line up with his hand in the dirt or standing up. Consistently wants to get to the passer. No frills power rusher who did not show any moves except spin back to the inside. Uses hands well at the point and combines strength to create needed separation. Never quits. Ball of energy. Can get hung out to dry on the perimeter but it takes a strong effort to stop him. Otherwise, just keeps coming and gets pressures that way too. Powerful human being. Ran over the LSU LT. Can stunt and push through inside gaps. Lacks top speed to consistently blow through the back door. Works to make tackles against the run. Occasionally comes off a block, chases one down or can blow things up on a stop for a loss. However, proved to be far less impactful vs. the run than the pass. Big pressure guy.

Bottom Line

Clemons has the mentality it takes to be elite. He is tough as a hammer and he thrives off the physicality of playing in the trenches.

He smashes around inside like cars getting into accidents.

Clemons does somethings most ends cannot do.

I can’t say enough good things about Clemons. I recognize greatness when I see it.

Clemons sounds like a human bumper car ?

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

per Kelly

"If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round."

No one else in the NFL has come close to suggesting this.

Because no one in the NFL is worried about comparing Johnson and Clemons . I think Clemons is going to be an outright monster and his best attribute is his motor all the great ones have it .

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

per Kelly

"If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round."

He might have gone 1st round to if it weren't for the legal flags. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This former Jets scout evaluates fourth-round pick Micheal Clemons, praising his ability to rush the passer.

DANIEL KELLY (author:  is this Kelly guy legit?)

Micheal Clemons is the best pass rusher on the Jets roster.

That’s what I walked away thinking after I studied his game film at Texas A&M.

Jets’ General Manager Joe Douglas scored big in the fourth round on this one.

Clemons was tenacious as a pass rusher last season and he put on a clinic against LSU.

How in the world could somebody as talented as Clemons last until the fourth round?

Not everything is about the game film.

Information gathering is a part of the evaluation process too and Clemons had some real red flags off the field.

According to past reports, Clemons was arrested. Charges included unlawful carrying a weapon, failure to identify/giving false information, less than two ounces of marijuana possession, and driving with an invalid license.

None of that stopped the Jets who felt comfortable taking Clemons.

“We feel the talent level is obviously high,” Douglas said, per SNY. “What he brings from a length, toughness, and speed off the edge, certainly you can say he’s a first, second-day talent level. You get to a certain point in the draft where risk is mitigated. Felt good about that and where we added him.”

So while there are off-field issues that were taken into consideration, I agree with Douglas. I would have done the same thing if a player of Clemons’ caliber was still sitting on the board in the fourth-round.

Clemons was way better than Jets’ first-round pick Jermaine Johnson on game film.

If you ask me, Clemons should have been the one who went in the first round and Johnson should have gone in the fourth round.

Clemons was fun to watch and he was consistently a menace pressuring quarterbacks. I hardly had room in my notes for as many pressures as he had in just three games (46 pressures over 10 games in 2021).

Now the Jets just have to keep their fingers crossed that Clemons “stays out of the newspapers and doesn’t go where he’s not wanted,” which is what Bill Parcells said at the end of practice back when he was the head coach of the Jets.

New York has to hope that whole off-field situation was just a “one-off,” and a night of bad decisions. That may be a little too optimistic as most often behaviors tend to resurface, but the Jets had to try.

New York’s pass-rush last season was pitiful, and they only averaged 1.9 sacks per game (No. 25).

If the Jets’ defense can’t get to the QB, they do not stand a chance in today’s NFL. While John Franklin-Myers is decent, I would not hold my breath on Johnson, Jacob Martin or Carl Lawson.

If he can stay out of trouble, Clemons is going to lead this team in sacks as a 25-year old rookie.

Grading Micheal Clemons

6-foot-5, 270 pounds

2021 Texas A&M game film reviewed: Arkansas, LSU and Alabama

2021 stats: 32 tackles (23 solo), 11 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 2 passes defensed

Grade: A - (Blue-chip player and elite)

Scouting Report

Tenacious bullish human battering ram with natural brute power, good technique and he is QB minded. Mean and nasty disposition. Flip flops back and forth from left to right side and can line up with his hand in the dirt or standing up. Consistently wants to get to the passer. No frills power rusher who did not show any moves except spin back to the inside. Uses hands well at the point and combines strength to create needed separation. Never quits. Ball of energy. Can get hung out to dry on the perimeter but it takes a strong effort to stop him. Otherwise, just keeps coming and gets pressures that way too. Powerful human being. Ran over the LSU LT. Can stunt and push through inside gaps. Lacks top speed to consistently blow through the back door. Works to make tackles against the run. Occasionally comes off a block, chases one down or can blow things up on a stop for a loss. However, proved to be far less impactful vs. the run than the pass. Big pressure guy.

Bottom Line

Clemons has the mentality it takes to be elite. He is tough as a hammer and he thrives off the physicality of playing in the trenches.

He smashes around inside like cars getting into accidents.

Clemons does somethings most ends cannot do.

I can’t say enough good things about Clemons. I recognize greatness when I see it.

Well, as a 4th round pick, he won't  have enough money to buy a Bentley and take his nephew on a joy ride. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

And him being a 25 year old rookie

I'm sure age didn't help. 

But being arrested for a firearm related charge on school grounds is also petty damning. Especially in today's firearms climate. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

I'm sure age didn't help. 

But being arrested for a firearm related charge on school grounds is also petty damning. Especially in today's firearms climate. 

someone tried to rob him but after 1 look decided to just give him the gun....wasnt his fault

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

per Kelly

I’ve said that JJ wasn’t my favorite pick, and that I think it’s notable that DE is the only position they doubled up on in the draft after addressing it quite a bit over the offseason and knowing they were getting Lawson back. I was watching their Take Flight 2022 last night, though, and it is obvious that they love Johnson a lot. The footage of them trying to trade up, calling him their #8 or #9 player overall. They were very psyched to land him. They are dead serious about getting to the QB this year. With the rotation they’re planning that had everyone all upset a couple months ago, all of these guys are going to see the field a lot. Johnson looks like he’s having fun out there, Clemons doesn’t look like he’s having any fun until he decapitates someone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Because no one in the NFL is worried about comparing Johnson and Clemons . I think Clemons is going to be an outright monster and his best attribute is his motor all the great ones have it .

The pre draft mocks compare the two by their nature . I like the Clemons pick but do I like him way more than JJ?   For me, thats a no.   What do you think?

3 hours ago, PorP said:

Where did you get that he had a first round grade but went in fourth bc of flags?  
Since JJ went late first round where do you think Clemons would have gone? Before or after him?  Who would you rather have if you can only have one?

51 minutes ago, slats said:

I’ve said that JJ wasn’t my favorite pick, and that I think it’s notable that DE is the only position they doubled up on in the draft after addressing it quite a bit over the offseason and knowing they were getting Lawson back. I was watching their Take Flight 2022 last night, though, and it is obvious that they love Johnson a lot. The footage of them trying to trade up, calling him their #8 or #9 player overall. They were very psyched to land him. They are dead serious about getting to the QB this year. With the rotation they’re planning that had everyone all upset a couple months ago, all of these guys are going to see the field a lot. Johnson looks like he’s having fun out there, Clemons doesn’t look like he’s having any fun until he decapitates someone. 

This former scout is saying Clemons is way better than JJ.   Which would you rather have if you could only have one?

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Where did you get that he had a first round grade but went in fourth bc of flags?  
Since JJ went late first round where do you think Clemons would have gone? Before or after him?  Who would you rather have if you can only have one?

Ithe source that he should have been higher round pick if not for the flags is in almost every draft article about him. Some say just "higher", others speculate1st. 2nd and 3rd rd..

On your other questions,  I really don't know man.  I think jj is skilled and Clemons is mean.  I have no idea how that will translate. 

If I could only have 1... again I don't know which i'd choose, probably jj just because of Clemons legal history. Glad I don't have to choose. 

I'm pretty excited to see those 2 compete in camp though. 

11 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

This former scout is saying Clemons is way better than JJ.   Which would you rather have if you could only have one?

I really don’t care about some scout seeking clicks on the internet. I don’t have to choose because the Jets have both, as well as Lawson, JFM, Martin, Curry, Thomas...  I do think it’s interesting that DE is the one position they doubled down on, though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, PorP said:

Not a ******* prayer.  He will be 25 before the season starts and he has serious injury concerns.  Those "flags" keep him out of the first round if he is even for people that are in love with him, and they aren't legal.  From what I have read, he is kind of stiff.  I think he went about where he belonged.  

I also wonder if he is more of a 4-3 DE than 3-4 LB.  While both are considered at EDGE, if teams don't like him as much standing up it might have limited who would select him.  I think the comments here had more to do with this guy disliking Johnson.  Plenty of people did.  PFF had Johnson as a 3rd.  The Fieldgulls site ranked about 15 players at EDGE and Clemons wasn't even mentioned.  DeMarvin Leal was pretty much universally considered a better prospect on his own DL. He went in the 3rd to the Steelers.

We love that kind of chatter.  Bryce Hall would have been a first if not for the injury!  We have seen him play and play well, but he was never going in the 1st.  Stingley had injury concerns and he went 3 overall, before Sauce Gardener that we are all salivating over.  I think Clemons will be solid, not spectacular.  The profiles I read reminded me of when the guy said Darnold was a "cow on ice."  Not a comp in terms of style, but much of what I read sounds like a bigger school Nathan Shepherd.

• Haha 1