Why Micheal Clemons Will Be Elite Pass Rusher With Jets

Clemons looked better than Demarvin Leal when I watched him but he’s far from a reasonable first round draft pick. 

It sounds like the Jets picture him as a jumbo End like Armstead and JFM. It’ll be a good role for him especially since he’s a very downhill type of player. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The pre draft mocks compare the two by their nature . I like the Clemons pick but do I like him way more than JJ?   For me, thats a no.   What do you think?

Watching them both on video I think JJ is a better overall LB than he is an edge and If Clemons turns out to be a beast you may see more of that configuration especially if Lawson comes back strong. You are going to want to see all three of them on the field and that's not a bad problem to have. All of a sudden we have a lot of edge players on this roster and its going to be hard to get them all playing time and some will be cut outright if Clemons power translates to the NFL. Everyone states the same Issue if Clemons did not have that off the field crap he would have been a first round choice . IMO Clemons will be the better pass rusher than JJ but JJ is more versatile. Don't be shocked if JJ plays LB since he's already proven he can do it on a high level.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Watching them both on video I think JJ is a better overall LB than he is an edge and If Clemons turns out to be a beast you may see more of that configuration especially if Lawson comes back strong. You are going to want to see all three of them on the field and that's not a bad problem to have. All of a sudden we have a lot of edge players on this roster and its going to be hard to get them all playing time and some will be cut outright if Clemons power translates to the NFL. Everyone states the same Issue if Clemons did not have that off the field crap he would have been a first round choice . IMO Clemons will be the better pass rusher than JJ but JJ is more versatile. Don't be shocked if JJ plays LB since he's already proven he can do it on a high level.

I don't think I could disagree more.  I think that Johnson is overrated on the board as a pass rusher, but Clemons played 4 years at A&M and had 12.5 sacks and 20 TFL.  If Clemons is a better pass rusher than Johnson we have a problem and I don't think it is a good one.  I know one guy stated Clemons would have been a first round choice if he didn't have that off the field crap, but c'mon.  I think I have made my feelings on that pretty clear. 

As for Johnson playing LB?  Isn't he like 260 lbs?  The LBs in this D are like 225.  I get they will probably stand him up some and appreciate versatility, but I don't think he is going to be on the field instead of Quincy Williams or Mosley.  Sorry, but I will be shocked.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Clemons looked better than Demarvin Leal when I watched him but he’s far from a reasonable first round draft pick. 

It sounds like the Jets picture him as a jumbo End like Armstead and JFM. It’ll be a good role for him especially since he’s a very downhill type of player. 

I see Clemons as a role player, which is fine relative to his draft position. I’m personally wanting to see what Jacob Martin brings because he brings a good bend around the edge and feels better cast as a situational pass rusher rather than a 3-down end. 

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think I could disagree more.  I think that Johnson is overrated on the board as a pass rusher, but Clemons played 4 years at A&M and had 12.5 sacks and 20 TFL.  If Clemons is a better pass rusher than Johnson we have a problem and I don't think it is a good one.  I know one guy stated Clemons would have been a first round choice if he didn't have that off the field crap, but c'mon.  I think I have made my feelings on that pretty clear. 

As for Johnson playing LB?  Isn't he like 260 lbs?  The LBs in this D are like 225.  I get they will probably stand him up some and appreciate versatility, but I don't think he is going to be on the field instead of Quincy Williams or Mosley.  Sorry, but I will be shocked.  

Johnson was 250 (playing weight) so he can go either way and the word on him was he can play the LB position very well yet some questioned his ability as a Pass Rusher on the pro level . So Mosley and Quincy.....  and who exactly is playing the 3rd LB spot ? Where exactly is the depth ? Mosley did not hit one runner head on last year he was always dragging them down from the side giving up extra yards look at his video, there is a reason why our Run Defense sucked. 

When it comes to Clemons he could very well be a late bloomer since last year and in the bowl game vs LSU he was basically unstoppable.

When you say disagree I can respect that but I'm just speculating on options the Jets have since they really did not pursue LB's other than making an offer to Alexander and he's just a middle of the road guy. With all the Edge guys we now have when you take Johnson in round 1 why go after Clemons in the 4th when there were still LB's to be had and you have Johnson, Huff, Lawson, Thomas, Martin and Curry ? 

It may very well not happen but its not too far fetched to think Johnson could be an every down OLB its easily the weakest position on the team and IMHO without good LB talent defenses struggle. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Johnson was 250 (playing weight) so he can go either way and the word on him was he can play the LB position very well yet some questioned his ability as a Pass Rusher on the pro level . So Mosley and Quincy.....  and who exactly is playing the 3rd LB spot ? Where exactly is the depth ? Mosley did not hit one runner head on last year he was always dragging them down from the side giving up extra yards look at his video, there is a reason why our Run Defense sucked. 

When it comes to Clemons he could very well be a late bloomer since last year and in the bowl game vs LSU he was basically unstoppable.

When you say disagree I can respect that but I'm just speculating on options the Jets have since they really did not pursue LB's other than making an offer to Alexander and he's just a middle of the road guy. With all the Edge guys we now have when you take Johnson in round 1 why go after Clemons in the 4th when there were still LB's to be had and you have Johnson, Huff, Lawson, Thomas, Martin and Curry ? 

It may very well not happen but its not too far fetched to think Johnson could be an every down OLB its easily the weakest position on the team and IMHO without good LB talent defenses struggle. 

Fair enough.  Who is the third LB? DJ Reed?  Joyner?  Carter2?  I believe they will play both nickel and dime more than 3 LB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough.  Who is the third LB? DJ Reed?  Joyner?  Carter2?  I believe they will play both nickel and dime more than 3 LB.

Oh yeah they will ..... no doubt the key is to stop teams passing attacks but you can get into trouble quick if you can't stop the run vs a playoff caliber running team like say the Titans. Actually all the contending teams in our conference can run the football, Colt's , Steelers, Ravens, Bills, Chargers, Brown's, KC, Pats, all have good to elite RB's .

Last year we saw more teams going to the run with run by committee and the short passing extension of the running game with swing passes to RB's out of the back field. DJ Reed not only plays good corner but he's a good tackler as well but do we really want him doing too much of that ? It will wear on him and other corners if we rely on them too much on the outside trying to take down big backs .

I think our weakness at LB will be exploited we just do not have the depth and I'm not seeing all those safeties we drafted filling those roles . Think of it this way Mosely was no world beater last year by any means he's in a different defense than he's ever played in so what happens if he misses some games with injury ? or even Quincey for that matter ? Should be interesting to see how they address this and what roles some of these players will be in.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh yeah they will ..... no doubt the key is to stop teams passing attacks but you can get into trouble quick if you can't stop the run vs a playoff caliber running team like say the Titans. Actually all the contending teams in our conference can run the football, Colt's , Steelers, Ravens, Bills, Chargers, Brown's, KC, Pats, all have good to elite RB's .

Last year we saw more teams going to the run with run by committee and the short passing extension of the running game with swing passes to RB's out of the back field. DJ Reed not only plays good corner but he's a good tackler as well but do we really want him doing too much of that ? It will wear on him and other corners if we rely on them too much on the outside trying to take down big backs .

I think our weakness at LB will be exploited we just do not have the depth and I'm not seeing all those safeties we drafted filling those roles . Think of it this way Mosely was no world beater last year by any means he's in a different defense than he's ever played in so what happens if he misses some games with injury ? or even Quincey for that matter ? Should be interesting to see how they address this and what roles some of these players will be in.

They beat the Titans last year with  Mosley and Williams and then Sherwood playing about 25 snaps.  I guess they list Shaq Lawson as an LB.  To the extent he played LB, I guess that Johnson will be taking that role. I agree their LB suck, but I think they just do not care that much.  At least comparatively.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

for those looking for actual footage of Michael Clemons' college career, Max's gifs have an extensive selection of "robot wars" highlights

bbc two robot GIF by BBC