Merged Becton Threads

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Semi-joking question:

When you're as big as Becton (or Becton Sr.)., does the team have to install a gargantuan custom toilet?

Otherwise I imagine there might be some struggles with "accuracy" in the lavatory similar to Zach Wilson's on the football field.

Nah they just have to call roto rooter more often than the regular guy

No joke, in another form, I have posed that question to various family and friends.  (I sound like Costanza with the "manure" preoccupation.)  How do large men and women go to the toilet?  Always think this whilst watching NFL games or the TV show, My 600 Pound Life.
Don't ask me how I know thisScreenshot_20220608-070802_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

So let me get this straight. ALL NFL players are supposed to have ZERO other interests and choose FOOTBALL over FAMILY? Otherwise they cannot succeed? 

WTF are you even talking about???

Larry Fitzgerald is well known for travelling all over the world, 10+ different countries to take photos because he's into photography. He does this mostly in the offseason. OBVIOUSLY. He's not focused on football all the time. In fact, I would bet he spends A LOT of time focusing on other things. He's headed for the HOF. I would call him a success in the NFL.   

Are you also suggesting an injured NFL player should be playing on the field? Yup, just throw him out there fresh out of surgery. He'll do fine. 

link GIF

Pretty sure that's not what anyone said. I'm sure plenty of players have other interests. Ffs, Brick got his masters degree during the off-season on his rookie contract. But that man obviously knew how to put football first enough to succeed on the field. 

When a very high first round draft pick that can't stay healthy, has a obesity problem and can't stay in football shape wants to spend his off-season being a pro video gamer ? - Your life, bro. Probably could have picked a better hill to die on but do you. 

Since we're exaggerating peoples points - Please, tell me, how many of the successful NFL players considered football their side gig? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Pretty sure that's not what anyone said. I'm sure plenty of players have other interests. Ffs, Brick got his masters degree during the off-season on his rookie contract. But that man obviously knew how to put football first enough to succeed on the field. 

When a very high first round draft pick that can't stay healthy, has a obesity problem and can't stay in football shape wants to spend his off-season being a pro video gamer ? - Your life, bro. Probably could have picked a better hill to die on but do you. 

Since we're exaggerating peoples points - Please, tell me, how many of the successful NFL players considered football their side gig? 

Clients of mine that are pulling their hair out over their 17 to 20 something kids talk about how the kids believe they can be gamers, YouTubers, influencers etc.   These kids are well below where they should be professionally and socially.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

On 6/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, Matt39 said:

If he shows up highly doubt he does anything besides weigh in, which the team will keep under wraps. 

I highly doubt he isnt a part of every drill the rest of the OL is asked to do.  Its a minicamp.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

No joke, in another form, I have posed that question to various family and friends.  (I sound like Costanza with the "manure" preoccupation.)  How do large men and women go to the toilet?  Always think this whilst watching NFL games or the TV show, My 600 Pound Life.

Andre the Giant used to bring a bucket on airplanes. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

All of this is bs. You are exaggerating to the extreme which makes your point completely invalid. Side gig? Obese? Pro gamer? 

link GIF

• Upvote 2

Might have been mentioned or maybe this is OT but I'd like to lessen the frequency of early off-season physical team activities (rookie camp stays) but anything that actually goes on is certainly mandatory, sans family stuff. JMO.

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

So let me get this straight. ALL NFL players are supposed to have ZERO other interests and choose FOOTBALL over FAMILY? Otherwise they cannot succeed? 

WTF are you even talking about???

Larry Fitzgerald is well known for travelling all over the world, 10+ different countries to take photos because he's into photography. He does this mostly in the offseason. OBVIOUSLY. He's not focused on football all the time. In fact, I would bet he spends A LOT of time focusing on other things. He's headed for the HOF. I would call him a success in the NFL.   

Are you also suggesting an injured NFL player should be playing on the field? Yup, just throw him out there fresh out of surgery. He'll do fine. 

link GIF

As a former AZ Cardinals season ticket holder I resent any comparison of Becton to Fitzgerald.   Fitzgerald came into the league with unbelivable raw talent.  He left the game as one of the great route runners and students of the game.  He has never once shown up without being in superb physical condition. 

Fitz is an amazingly bright guy with a lot of interests.  When he was playing he was absolutely committed to being great.

12 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Could you have made more shlt than this to prove your beliefs?

All you've managed to do is prove you have no idea of what you are talking about or are just mindlessly hating on someone who plays for your team.  Brilliant 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

As a former AZ Cardinals season ticket holder I resent any comparison of Becton to Fitzgerald.   Fitzgerald came into the league with unbelivable raw talent.  He left the game as one of the great route runners and students of the game.  He has never once shown up without being in superb physical condition. 

Fitz is an amazingly bright guy with a lot of interests.  When he was playing he was absolutely committed to being great.

My comparison had to do specifically with his interests off the field. Clearly. You are reading WAY too much into my comparison to Fitz. Becton is a guy going into year 3, coming off an injury that took him out for the year. Not a player headed to the hof. To compare the two would be moronic. I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about players having lots of varying interests other than football in their life, valuing family above the NFL, while still having drive and a commitment to being great. You are proving my point. Those things CAN coexist. Who knows if Becton will end up being great. But him not showing up to voluntary workouts means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Especially since he is working out with one of the best O-line trainers in the country.

Can we stop with this nonsense already and let the guy play before we continue to bash him? Seriously. It's gross.    

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about players having lots of varying interests other than football in their life, valuing family above the NFL, while still having drive and a commitment to being great.

Do you have any actual reason besides hope to believe that Becton's interests even include football?

17 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Semi-joking question:

When you're as big as Becton (or Becton Sr.)., does the team have to install a gargantuan custom toilet?

Otherwise I imagine there might be some struggles with "accuracy" in the lavatory similar to Zach Wilson's on the football field.

@The Crusher can field this one

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

My comparison had to do specifically with his interests off the field. Clearly. You are reading WAY too much into my comparison to Fitz. Becton is a guy going into year 3, coming off an injury that took him out for the year. Not a player headed to the hof. To compare the two would be moronic. I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about players having lots of varying interests other than football in their life, valuing family above the NFL, while still having drive and a commitment to being great. You are proving my point. Those things CAN coexist. Who knows if Becton will end up being great. But him not showing up to voluntary workouts means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Especially since he is working out with one of the best O-line trainers in the country.

Can we stop with this nonsense already and let the guy play before we continue to bash him? Seriously. It's gross.    

Agreed it was a moronic comparison on any basis.   Fitzgerald started 16 games as a rookie and 16 in his second year and was selected to the pro-bowl.  He never tapped out of a game in his career.  He was physically gifted, kept himself in superb shape and was a student of the game.  He is also a very smart guy with other interests. 

Some of Larry's quotes over the years:

You can lead in multiple ways. I try and lead by example, and make sure that I'm always accountable to my teammates. That starts off with my commitment to waking up early, training hard, lifting weights, and running. It's in my nutrition. It's just making sure I always put myself in the best possible position.

I can never let the guy across from me be in better shape. I have to be the best-conditioned guy.

My main focus is ball. I know what butters my toast. I know what my job is and what is expected of me, and that's what's first and foremost.

29 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

^I've seen this one before, and no where in the article does it mention weight problems. No where. All Lafleur says is he's "dealing with things" which is super vague, and people have just run with the narrative that he was overweight last training camp with little evidence.

24 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

^This one actually proves my point, because all it talks about is how much Becton was working on getting in shape before camp last year, and actually quotes Saleh as saying he's "not worried" about Becton's weight. Again, there's no word about him being overweight in camp last year. I haven't seen a single article, quote, or first-hand account yet that says that, and I've looked.

I'm not saying he hasn't had weight issues before, and even after, but I see this narrative that Becton showed up to camp last year overweight, despite there not being a single article that confirms that. The only camp we know he showed up overweight to is his rookie camp, because he told as as much, but it seems Becton has taken steps since to rectify that.

30 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

^I've seen this one before, and no where in the article does it mention weight problems. No where. All Lafleur says is he's "dealing with things" which is super vague, and people have just run with the narrative that he was overweight last training camp with little evidence.

^This one actually proves my point, because all it talks about is how much Becton was working on getting in shape before camp last year, and actually quotes Saleh as saying he's "not worried" about Becton's weight. Again, there's no word about him being overweight in camp last year. I haven't seen a single article, quote, or first-hand account yet that says that, and I've looked.

I'm not saying he hasn't had weight issues before, and even after, but I see this narrative that Becton showed up to camp last year overweight, despite there not being a single article that confirms that. The only camp we know he showed up overweight to is his rookie camp, because he told as as much, but it seems Becton has taken steps since to rectify that.

If you look carefully at my initial post it says . "He was working through "issues" if I recall correctly" I may not have had the words verbatim, but I stated that from the get go. This was one of many articles I read at that time and, it is clear that there was a disconnect or some concerns from the coaching staff about him Let's use "dealing with things", supposedly, Lawson was having his way with him in camp as per many reports (articles are all over the net). Becton's health issues will not get better when he balloons to 400 lbs. during the offseason as he has while taking an 8 week injury into 17 by gaining a ton of weight. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89408/it-could-really-be-special-jets-joe-douglas-prepares-for-potentially-historic-draft

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/jets-lineman-mekhi-becton-400-pounds/595894

Becton's first season looked encouraging but even then he had injuries. His only hope in my opinion, is to stay at a weight of no more than 355.

What exactly do you disagree with?

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Do you have any actual reason besides hope to believe that Becton's interests even include football?

You're not serious are you? Truly a troll comment.

He's a football player. Who spent his life playing football. Who had a bad injury that required surgery and trained hard to get back in shape to play football, which required serious dieting because he also happens to be an enormous human, who posts on his social media that he will prove everyone wrong, who pays big money to train with one of the best o-line trainers in the country.

If he had no interest in football he would have retired by now. It is WAY too much work to come back from an injury/surgery the way he did/is for someone who does not care about football. You could take the guaranteed money and retire on whatever NFL benefits package you got and start a business or comfortably do whatever the F you wanted to if you had no interest in football. 

Jonathan Frakes Oops GIF by FILMRISE    

50 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agreed it was a moronic comparison on any basis.   Fitzgerald started 16 games as a rookie and 16 in his second year and was selected to the pro-bowl.  He never tapped out of a game in his career.  He was physically gifted, kept himself in superb shape and was a student of the game.  He is also a very smart guy with other interests. 

Some of Larry's quotes over the years:

Relax. Its nice that you have a massive boner for Larry. But all I was saying is player 'X' has varying interests other than football and it does not preclude him from being a success in the NFL. Becton can be into video games, not be the sharpest tool in the shed, post silly things on social media and still be committed to football and a success in the NFL. Maybe he won't be Larry, your God. But he could still end up being a HOFer because just like Larry he is is athletically gifted. A physical freak of an o-lineman.

Animated GIF   

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Relax. Its nice that you have a massive boner for Larry. But all I was saying is player 'X' has varying interests other than football and it does not preclude him from being a success in the NFL. Becton can be into video games, not be the sharpest tool in the shed, post silly things on social media and still be committed to football and a success in the NFL. Maybe he won't be Larry, your God. But he could still end up being a HOFer because just like Larry he is is athletically gifted. A physical freak of an o-lineman.

Animated GIF   

Larry isn't a god, at best he is a decendant of the Titans.  Not sure why you're so committed to hyperbole?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

What exactly do you disagree with?

The narrative that Becton showed up to camp in 2021 overweight. That's it.

Numerous times now that someone has mentioned it,  I've asked for a link confirming it, but nobody has been able to. They just link to the same stories I've found in my own search that either point to that vague quoute from Lafleur about Becton dealing with "some things" which, from the context, could easily just be about him struggling with the new blocking scheme, or they link to stories about Becton gaining weight after his injuries. But, I haven't found a single confirmation that he was out of shape in last year's camp. Not one. You even linked to an article that quoted Saleh as saying he's "not worried" about Becton's weight last summer. But, people just accept this as fact, which proves to them that Becton is going to show up out of shape in camp again, like it's a pattern.

I've never disputed that he's had issues with weight, or said that I'm not unconcerned about his ability to stay in shape. But, if there's some quote out there about Becton showing up to camp out of shape in 2021, I'd like to see it.

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The narrative that Becton showed up to camp in 2021 overweight. That's it.

Numerous times now that someone has mentioned it,  I've asked for a link confirming it, but nobody has been able to. They just link to the same stories I've found in my own search that either point to that vague quoute from Lafleur about Becton dealing with "some things" which, from the context, could easily just be about him struggling with the new blocking scheme, or they link to stories about Becton gaining weight after his injuries. But, I haven't found a single confirmation that he was out of shape in last year's camp. Not one. You even linked to an article that quoted Saleh as saying he's "not worried" about Becton's weight last summer. But, people just accept this as fact, which proves to them that Becton is going to show up out of shape in camp again, like it's a pattern.

I've never disputed that he's had issues with weight, or said that I'm not unconcerned about his ability to stay in shape. But, if there's some quote out there about Becton showing up to camp out of shape in 2021, I'd like to see it.

Ok So what does it mean when Saleh said prior to June 4th 2021 that Becton "Needs to improve his conditioning? How do you personally take that? 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31566730/new-york-jets-wr-jamison-crowder-not-season-workouts-team-negotiates-new-deal

• Upvote 1