Merged Becton Threads

50 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm from Italian folks who existed on almost nothing during before WWII.  They foraged things like chestnuts, wild scallions and garlic, dandelion greens, mushrooms, edible flowers, etc.  So always maintained the "cucina povera" ethic.  

I try to shop intelligently so as to not let food spoil or go to waste.   Even if lettuce or other greens start to wilt, I'll quickly sauté them with a bit of garlic, salt and olive oil.

I wasn't joking above about looking for old mushrooms and bananas at the supermarket.   The older mushrooms are great for stews and pasta.  The flavor is more concentrated.   And I get a bag of old bananas for almost nothing when I make banana bread.

This skillset will become very useful soon the way things are going. ? 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ever take a sh*t so long that you can barely stand up afterwards?

I once passed out on the sh*tter after a 20 mile Ruck in the Army...when I finally tried to stand, my legs were so numb I collapsed. It was hilarious! 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

As one part of his community outreach program through the Jets, Becton is exploring a reinvigoration of the "Clean Plate Club".  The concept had gone out of favor of late as it was thought to encourage overeating.

Ohhh man.  If you had just said "out of flavor" that would have been a chef's kiss moment for you.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

So much of it just involves not buying too much.  Funny how many of the "peasant dishes" my folks made are now expensive in top restaurants.  

Back in the 60s, our butcher would give my parents all the veal shanks they wanted for free as most folks had no idea what to do with them.  Now they're ridiculously expensive.  All I will tell you is that they would use those shanks to make osso bucco in a ragu with porcini mushrooms which was incredible.   Served over polenta, another peasant dish. 

Just give me spaghetti with garlic and oil with some Parmesan cheese on top piece of nice crusty semolina and that’s all I need. Dam I love that stuff

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Just give me spaghetti with garlic and oil with some Parmesan cheese on top piece of nice crusty semolina and that’s all I need. Dam I love that stuff

Same. I make it at least once a week. If I have a piece of leftover chicken or sausage I’ll slice it up and put it in the garlic and oil.

Another favorite when it’s summer time is slicing up a few nice tomatoes, drizzle them with olive oil, slice some garlic and put some fresh basil on top. Let it sit for a while, then go to town on it with a nice crusty bread

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Arguing about Becton is like arguing about theism/atheism.  The only real answer for both is:  I don't know and you don't either!

The good news is, we'll get the answer to Becton in training camp.  I willing to wait on the religion part.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, addage said:

Arguing about Becton is like arguing about theism/atheism.  The only real answer for both is:  I don't know and you don't either!

The good news is, we'll get the answer to Becton in training camp.  I willing to wait on the religion part.

I have the same answer for both questions; "I don't know, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised...."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

Sometimes the simplest foods are the best. I hear people like Dave Ramsey giving financial advice and saying “get on that rice and beans diet” to save money.  I laugh because I’m like that’s what I WANT to eat anyways.

5 hours ago, Trotter said:

We tend to forget he is a kid.

my guess is he dealt with being made fun of for his weight and overall size growing up.

nothing you can do about national media but I wish our writers would just layoff a bit. Let him go through camp and let’s see where he is at. 

He cashed a HUGE check.  He appears to not have the desire that leaders have.  He says nice stuff….   I am not a believer at this point.  

KID??? Half the deaths at Normandy were younger. Old enough to be a dad and cash a big check, now can he STFU and get on the field and outperform a 3rd rounder? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Very excited about Becton’s return. His shirt, the attitude, the confidence all make me feel pretty good about him this season. Also, listening to him makes me suspect he’s a much brighter guy than many imagine.

I swear at first glance I thought you started this post......

"Very excited about rectum burn"

The older I get the less these eyes work..........The Jets need to win something before I'm too blind to see it. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He cashed a HUGE check.  He appears to not have the desire that leaders have.  He says nice stuff….   I am not a believer at this point.  

KID??? Half the deaths at Normandy were younger. Old enough to be a dad and cash a big check, now can he STFU and get on the field and outperform a 3rd rounder? 

Wow, you really dug in the crates for that one huh?

Not that there's anything wrong with it.....

4 hours ago, CSNY said:

Love that. Every fry the leftovers so it gets just a little bit crispy?

3 hours ago, addage said:

Could not agree more.  I would love to see some transparency from the jets, like can he pass the conditioning test,  what’s his weight.  It’s June and he’s not ready to play so what is going to happen when he crams for the exam?