Merged Becton Threads

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Hate to say it but Becton looks like a bust at this point. Shame to because we saw the talent in year 1. But he simply won't get in shape. I hope i'm wrong but he's definitely overweight and it doesn't seem to bother him.

Jets should have taken Wirfs. Big miss. 

Wirfs plays Right Tackle for a QB who gets rid of the ball in 1.5 seconds

Becton had an excellent rookie year, got injured second year.  Let’s see what he does year 3

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Becton had an excellent rookie year, got injured second year.  Let’s see what he does year 3

Sit on the couch, order take out, and play video games.  

Oh but on the plus side , he might market his big bust shirts on Etsy.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, after watching the documentary and seeing how much culture is important, becton sticks out like a sore thumb on this team.  Hes just not as into football as a saleh type player needs to be.  And hey, theres nothing wrong w/ that.  But on this team, thats not going to fly. 

Right now they are stuck w/ him.  If he comes to camp out of shape and is getting beat like a drum again all summer, boomer may be right.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Still way more valuable to have an All Pro caliber right tackle at this point than a guy who might be eating himself out of the league. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Still way more valuable to have an All Pro caliber right tackle at this point than a guy who might be eating himself out of the league. 

Eating hasnt kept him out of a single game yet but it might get him out of the league?

OK.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Right now they are stuck w/ him.  If he comes to camp out of shape and is getting beat like a drum again all summer, boomer may be right.

Anybody actually hear this take from Boomer?  No link and its someone said he said on air, which I never believe because too many hear what they think heard or want to hear.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Anybody actually hear this take from Boomer?  No link and its someone said he said on air, which I never believe because too many hear what they think heard or want to hear.

If you click the link from Matt above you can watch him say it.   He does say he’s overweight.  Him saying he could be cut seemed to be said for effect.  

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If you click the link from Matt above you can watch him say it.   He does say he’s overweight.  Him saying he could be cut seemed to be said for effect.  

I agree that it was for effect.

Not a Boomer fan in the least and when he stated this morning that Becton may not be on the roster - his sidekick GIO now agreed with him. Yesterday GIO's take was more of no way he is getting cut.

Boomer may have some inside or close info that others do not, but my guess is a producer was in his ear telling them to go back to the conversation.

By the way - if anyone has suggestions for intelligent sports radio in the am - please advise.    

To me Becton does not look like an NFL T that is going to play more than 8 games next season.  I could be wrong.  Yes, he is big and tackles are big and carry weight in their mid-section.  Yes, he is tall.  But Becton looks like 400 pounds.  That can’t work.    JD needs to sign Reiff.   

Becton is not getting cut.  His salary is guaranteed.  Maybe someone would trade for him if the Jets sign Reiff and are sick of Becton.  He will not get a second contract with the Jets.  I am wondering about the Fifth year option.  I am thinking it’s likely since he does not make the Pro Bowl.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Eating hasnt kept him out of a single game yet but it might get him out of the league?

OK.  

I hope it doesn't but being in playing shape is pretty important. It can lead to injuries, drop in performance, etc. I hope Becton does great, but it's reasonable for people to be concerned. The Jets have been concerned as well.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Out of the league in the next 3 years.  His main concern will be his health and not football.  

Listening to one of the TOJ pods and Will Parkinson who does some of the interviews heard he was well above 4 bills. 

Unintended consequences of the new CBA is conditioning is up to the player in the off-season now because training camp has been condensed so much. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

400 pounds would make Becton one of the heaviest OL ever to play the game.  I don't think the others in that weight range have ever been really successful.  

Jordan Mailta for the Eagles is listed as 6'8 and 350ish. He looks skinny compared to Becton. Thinking of other guys...Andre Smith from Alabama, disappointing career. Erik Williams before the car accident was a beast and massive but never that big. McKinnie played was a dog. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, genot said:

I tell ya what. Becton reminds me of some professional wrestlers. Incredible physical specimens, but could never cut it in the NFL.

Earthquake's listing was exaggerated. Big Show was 7'0. If you look at Undertaker he was over 300 but looked fairly trim. Kane wore platform shoes. Hogan was like 6'6. I dont see how Becton isnt well over 400lbs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Where things stand:

No confidence in Becton. 

No confidence in rah rah Saleh.

No confidence in Zach Wilson.

A modicum of confidence in Joe Douglas.

Like Elijah Moore if he can stay healthy.  Think Sauce will prove to be a baller.  Other than that, no idea.

In the absence of credible evidence (W's), it's all just window dressing in a vain attempt to put a positive spin on a losing franchise.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t see a link from Matt, just Matt asking if anyone heard it.  Not important

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Listening to one of the TOJ pods and Will Parkinson who does some of the interviews heard he was well above 4 bills. 

Unintended consequences of the new CBA is conditioning is up to the player in the off-season now because training camp has been condensed so much. 

CBA is an absolute joke.  Teams getting fined for too much contact.  Just make it flag football and be done with it.

F!@#ing pu$$13s.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So you think JD passed on drafting an OL to take, with the first 4 picks through the early 2nd round - a CB, a WR, Edge, and a RB knowing that Becton was 400 pounds ?  I doubt that.  If Becton was really such a question mark, the Jets would have drafted an OT at 4 or 10.  

11 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So you think JD passed on drafting an OL to take, with the first 4 picks through the early 2nd round - a CB, a WR, Edge, and a RB knowing that Becton was 400 pounds ?  I doubt that.  If Becton was really such a question mark, the Jets would have drafted an OT at 4 or 10.  

No. I don't think JD did that. I'm talking about the 2020 draft. Becton was always a risk because of his size. I hated the pick on draft night, loved the pick after year 1, and now am back to hating the pick because some of the concerns the critics have are coming true and it's just frustrating. 

Maybe Becton is in better shape than what it sounds like to me. But i'm legit concerned. I hope he's ready to go and plays at a high level. He showed he can play in 2020. But the weight issue is concerning. I just feel like where there is smoke there is fire but we shall see. I think if Becton showed up in great shape, Saleh would have been singing his praises like he has done with Mims and Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:21 AM, Matt39 said:

Boomer is getting that from the building I’d imagine. Saleh speaking about him his veins were popping in his head. I mean, it doesn’t seem good. There’s always the chance he gains more over the time away now, especially if he’s going back to Texas or wherever. At the weight and condition he’s at now he can’t play.

Finally some honesty. Even his walk has been awkward. I am hoping that he can turn it around and be great, but realistically, I don't believe it one bit.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, Fantasy Island said:

CBA is an absolute joke.  Teams getting fined for too much contact.  Just make it flag football and be done with it.

F!@#ing pu$$13s.

Thing is, most players know this is how they make their living and stay in shape. CBA has nothing to do with that. Doesn't speak well of Becton. Recall Isiaih Wilson managed to get drafted in the 1st by the Titans, cut, and then quickly blow through both the Dolphins and Giants. This could be that kinda bad. 

Is it possible he could be placed on the PUP list? 

On 6/17/2022 at 9:17 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

When JD was drafting he was drafting based on his board and was likely not going to want to draft a T at 4 if Sauce was his best player and that would admit that he was giving up on Becton.  The Plan B was to sign another veteran and give Becton another chance.  

Reiff is absolutely critical.  I would cut Rankins if necessary to pay for it and let the defense figure it out this year.  Next year is the year we get a DT and LB and then try for the playoffs.  Becton is playing for his 5th year option this year.  Hopefully he gets it together.

Without Becton our OL wasn't bad last year.  It's been upgraded substantially with or without Becton.   If he's ready to go and is a decent not great RT the Jets OL will be substantially better than last year.   Not sure why there is so much concern about him.  There's a lot between can't go and high quality LT and none of that is critical to this years team.  

Would love to see him emerge as a real force.   Until he does or doesn't I don't really care.   I do think as long as Saleh and the Jets play games by not reporting his weight he's weight is fair game for the fans.  

• Upvote 1

he looks big, and not good big to me. that being said its June....but i am not banking on him until proven otherwise. 

BTW watch the jets with FA, if you see them go after another tackle of starting caliber, thats as good of a sign as any.