Merged Becton Threads

17 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Without Becton our OL wasn't bad last year.  It's been upgraded substantially with or without Becton.   If he's ready to go and is a decent not great RT the Jets OL will be substantially better than last year.   Not sure why there is so much concern about him.  There's a lot between can't go and high quality LT and none of that is critical to this years team.  

Would love to see him emerge as a real force.   Until he does or doesn't I don't really care.   I do think as long as Saleh and the Jets play games by not reporting his weight he's weight is fair game for the fans.  

Outside of the Tomlinson signing, what makes you think the line has been "upgraded substantially" since last season?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

F Boomer.

They basically need material to talk about and for whatever reason have hitched on to Becton and his weight.

Boomer talking big but I wonder if Mikhei was in the studio if he would be so aggressive. 

At this point the hate and targeting this guy is taking is over the top. Putting aside what his performance means to the team, I want Becton to shut all of these clowns up.  

I get you’re disappointed, nobody wants that to be true. But forget Boomer, what did your own eyes tell you when you saw him last week (and be honest)? Did that look like a perfectly fit and healthy man? Did he look under 400 to you?

I don’t need Boomer to answer that for me. I’m rooting for the kid to turn it around but he’s got about 45 days before camp. He shouldn’t be looking to start shedding weight now, that should have been done already if he’s serious. Even if his knee isn’t right yet, he could have been on a diet and came to the minicamp and said “hey coach, my knee isn’t 100% yet but I did what I could and controlled my diet and weight. This way I can hit the ground running when my knee is good”

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I get you’re disappointed, nobody wants that to be true. But forget Boomer, what did your own eyes tell you when you saw him last week (and be honest)? Did that look like a perfectly fit and healthy man? Did he look under 400 to you?

I don’t need Boomer to answer that for me. I’m rooting for the kid to turn it around but he’s got about 45 days before camp. He shouldn’t be looking to start shedding weight now, that should have been done already if he’s serious. Even if his knee isn’t right yet, he could have been on a diet and came to the minicamp and said “hey coach, my knee isn’t 100% yet but I did what I could and controlled my diet and weight. This way I can hit the ground running when my knee is good”

to me he seemed to be in reasonable shape for a guy his size. I had actually posted that while I am far from any type of expert on weight management, the picture I commented on where he was in front of another player did not seem to be 400 pounds or extremely overweight to me.

Regarding healthy, I still come back to something Saleh said last year when he stated not all of Becton's issues were weight specific (or something along those lines). Possibly this kid just has something else going on 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

No way he was over 400... He is overweight for sure but he is not fat or out of shape... At least from what I see. 

You can work out everyday and still be overweight. Does he focus in and hone it down... Yet to be seen but he is in better shape than rookie year and you can see. 

Is that enough to keep him on the field... We will see but if he isn't I bet JD makes a trade or picks up a vet at cut down... 

59 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Boomer says he knows for a fact Bectons weight is north of 395

I kinda believe it. The way Becton was talking in his initial press conference about how it is easy for him to lose weight by simply drinking a lot of water, combined with the Jets clearly not being thrilled with his weight, makes me think this is likely true. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Trotter said:

F Boomer.

They basically need material to talk about and for whatever reason have hitched on to Becton and his weight.

Boomer talking big but I wonder if Mikhei was in the studio if he would be so aggressive. 

At this point the hate and targeting this guy is taking is over the top. Putting aside what his performance means to the team, I want Becton to shut all of these clowns up.  

The targeting is a direct result of Saleh inability to be direct.  He's created speculation by his handling of the injury and the weight issue. 

If you’re looking for a good definition of irony, here’s one suggestion:

Mekhi Becton showing up to camp fat and out of shape, nowhere close to being able to pass a conditioning test or take the field in any meaningful way.  

He then steps to the podium wearing a “big bust, fat, lazy” T-shirt supposedly mocking the fans who had the temerity to make said logical observations.

Adds icing on the cake by announcing he’ll make the fans “eat their words”.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Absolutely not true.  Boomer guessed.  Here is the exact quote.

"Looking at him in his clothes as opposed to on a football field, this guy is approaching 400 pounds,” Esiason said on WFAN on Thursday. To me, he looks like he weighs somewhere between 395 and 400. "

Not saying Boomer is wrong, but let's not turn opinions into facts.

He just said it this morning he knows it for fact he’s almost 400lbs 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The targeting is a direct result of Saleh inability to be direct.  He's created speculation by his handling of the injury and the weight issue. 

Saleh's job is to coach the team and Becton, not provide the media or the fans with information.  If he believes it is best for Becton, and the team, to protect Becton from additional scrutiny and unnecessary speculative criticism, he is doing his job.  

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Saleh's job is to coach the team and Becton, not provide the media or the fans with information.  If he believes it is best for Becton, and the team, to protect Becton from additional scrutiny and unnecessary speculative criticism, he is doing his job.  

He hasn't protected him.  He's thrown him under the bus.  He is clueless on how to deal with the press.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone is pulling for Becton and if you're not, you should be as a Jets fan.  The problem I have is the reluctance to say what his weight is.  I would think, and this is my own opinion, if he was at an ideal weight, they would say so.  They would want to shout it from the roof tops, but even Becton himself wouldn't disclose his weight.  And I think this is important because this was/is a major issue...must be top secret stuff.secret tom cruise GIF 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Adding a probowler to the line IS a substantial upgrade, no?

Just watching our bts series, it occurred to me that Tomlinson's impact will be just as important off as on the field. The guy seems like an absolute pro and super serious. Seems like exactly the kind of fellow you'd want to bring in to elevate Mehki and AVT - like Faneca vibes (only Laken had more left in tank himself at his stage). 

Said pro bowler is taking the spot of AVT, who has to start learning a new position allover again. I would have kept AVT at LG and signed a RG.

JMO

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Boomer says he knows for a fact Bectons weight is north of 395

Look I am not a Boomer fan but in my experience (and I could be wrong because I do not listen to him daily) He would not have spoken if he knew nothing. Again, this is my opinion and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

He looked 181.437 Kilos to me.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

"Looking at him in his clothes as opposed to on a football field, this guy is approaching 400 pounds,” Esiason said on WFAN on Thursday. To me, he looks like he weighs somewhere between 395 and 400. "

He didn't guess he weighed in.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Not disclosing the weight is, IMO, the same as admitting Mekhi is fat as f***.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Everyone is pulling for Becton and if you're not, you should be as a Jets fan.  The problem I have is the reluctance to say what his weight is.  I would think, and this is my own opinion, if he was at an ideal weight, they would say so.  They would want to shout it from the roof tops, but even Becton himself wouldn't disclose his weight.  And I think this is important because this was/is a major issue...must be top secret stuff.secret tom cruise GIF 

Saleh has been quoted saying he has 40 days to make what he needs to make happen. If he shows up overweight for camp he’ll probably be PUP’ed.

Saleh said on the eisen show yesterday that Becton has no more restrictions on his knee. 

No more excuses so we'll know next month whether his heart beats to be a NFL tackle or if it beats to live up to his t-shirt.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, PorP said:

Saleh said on the eisen show yesterday that Becton has no more restrictions on his knee. 

No more excuses so we'll know next month whether his heart beats to be a NFL tackle or if it beats to live up to his t-shirt.

I find it so sad that a draft choice that so many (Me included), really loved has now turned out to be a polarizing figure among the Jets fans. I truly would love for him to turn it all around and shut me the heck up, I just don't see it happening. I wonder, will he even be a Jet next season?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I find it so sad that a draft choice that so many (Me included), really loved has now turned out to be a polarizing figure among the Jets fans. I truly would love for him to turn it all around and shut me the heck up, I just don't see it happening. I wonder, will he even be a Jet next season?

Ya I'd love to see him live up to his draft pick too!

Saleh did sound more up-beat about Becton if that counts for anything. 

For me,  I'm just gonna try to be nuetral,  keep my mouth shut and eyes open for TC....

Who knows where Becton and the teams heads are at???

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Terrible pick, the sooner they write him off, the sooner everyone will be happy

even at his best, he’s a guy who tires late in games and will eventually get hurt again because of the fatigue 

Douglas swung for the fences, when he had a can’t miss in Wirfs sitting there.  

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Trotter said:

F Boomer.

So you’re saying unless you can take someone in physical one-on-one combat, your opinions of them are invalid. Can Boomer select a champion to fight on his behalf like in Game of Thrones? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jgb said:

So you’re saying unless you can take someone in physical one-on-one combat, your opinions of them are invalid. Can Boomer select a champion to fight on his behalf like in Game of Thrones? 

I wasn't going with physical contact and can't comment on Game of Thrones as I never saw 1 minute of it - anyway I meant people's comments are a lot different when dealing in person than over a keyboard or microphone. It is basically the keyboard muscles syndrome.

Boomer decided to take his comments to a higher level the other day by attacking Mekhi other than football. Don't remember the exact words but mentioned his lack of accountability with his weight now that he is a new father.

Just going places for ratings in my opinion and really no need to attack the guy when again, he probably does not have true facts.

Moral of the story - F Boomer.  

• Haha 1

Guys, you can hate boomer, call him full of garbage, whatever.

I AM ROOTING FOR MEKHI. I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED.

However, he is not in shape. Listen to Becton. He said all he has to is eat right and drink water. He said that specifically because HE HASN’T DON IT YET!

Cimini also said on his podcast yesterday that, when he spoke with Becton’s nutritionist a few months ago, she said he was under 400 and refused to say how much. He said he tried reaching out to her again and all he got was crickets, she didn’t return his call.

Saleh has gone out of his way to praise guys when they are in shape at OTAs. He has been dead silent on Becton.

I mean, what other evidence do you need? For him to have a public weigh in? A lot of people are focused on his weight specifically. I couldn’t give a damn if he’s 400lbs as long as he can play at a high level. But last year, he came in similarly out of shape and got ABUSED by Lawson. Outside zone requires athletic lineman, especially if he’s gonna play on the right side. He can’t be out of breathe and giving 50% effort because he’s out of shape.

These are the facts. These are the evidence presented. Becton has about 40 days to turn things around. He’s gonna try to cram for the final exam during that period which is a terrible way to approach being a professional athlete. Any one of us, I’m sure, would have constructed a long term plan from the moment we got hurt to the next training camp. Mekhi seems like he’s just winging it.

Again, love the kid, he seems genuinely good person. Rooting for him. But at this point, I’m not shocked if he’s on another team following this season. Seems like the coaching staff and GM spent a lot of time building a culture and they don’t want to continue riding an emotional rollercoaster for 1 guy, no matter how high he was drafted.

• Upvote 3

Becton seems to me, to be the type of guy who's physical attributes have always carried him. Now that those abilities are commonplace with his competitors, he needs to combine them with a superior work ethic in order to stay competitive. Whether or not he has that is yet to be seen, but so far the indications aren't promising. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Guys, you can hate boomer, call him full of garbage, whatever.

I AM ROOTING FOR MEKHI. I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED.

However, he is not in shape. Listen to Becton. He said all he has to is eat right and drink water. He said that specifically because HE HASN’T DON IT YET!

Cimini also said on his podcast yesterday that, when he spoke with Becton’s nutritionist a few months ago, she said he was under 400 and refused to say how much. He said he tried reaching out to her again and all he got was crickets, she didn’t return his call.

Saleh has gone out of his way to praise guys when they are in shape at OTAs. He has been dead silent on Becton.

I mean, what other evidence do you need? For him to have a public weigh in? A lot of people are focused on his weight specifically. I couldn’t give a damn if he’s 400lbs as long as he can play at a high level. But last year, he came in similarly out of shape and got ABUSED by Lawson. Outside zone requires athletic lineman, especially if he’s gonna play on the right side. He can’t be out of breathe and giving 50% effort because he’s out of shape.

These are the facts. These are the evidence presented. Becton has about 40 days to turn things around. He’s gonna try to cram for the final exam during that period which is a terrible way to approach being a professional athlete. Any one of us, I’m sure, would have constructed a long term plan from the moment we got hurt to the next training camp. Mekhi seems like he’s just winging it.

Again, love the kid, he seems genuinely good person. Rooting for him. But at this point, I’m not shocked if he’s on another team following this season. Seems like the coaching staff and GM spent a lot of time building a culture and they don’t want to continue riding an emotional rollercoaster for 1 guy, no matter how high he was drafted.

Ur jESt uh HATR

On 6/21/2022 at 8:10 AM, nycdan said:

Damn right I say he looks more in the range of 389 :)

No matter how you slice it he's too damn heavy and I'm wondering how all this so called working out and rehab does not lose him weight. Didn't he say he had a guy monitoring his nutritional intake as well ? How does any of this make sense ? If the kid shows up at 350 or less in training camp then I can honestly say he put in the effort to slim down and help himself in so many ways. If he shows up even close to the numbers above 370 what does that tell you ?