Merged Becton Threads

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So now that he's showing up, the narrative changes to "he's going to be overweight."  Unreal.  What exactly is overweight for a 6'7" LT?  What is Becton's target weight?  I just don't understand the hate for this kid (and he is a kid).  And I don't understand the unbridled glee some supposed Jets fans take in hoping for him to fail.  It's a tough world we live in now. 

Its simple.

Its because he doesn't say all the right things on his social media and because he doesn't live and breathe FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL.

Because, HOW DARE HE! How dare he decide to take extra time to fully heal his body before coming back to the field. How dare he take time to witness the birth of his child and spend as much time as he can in the first few days with his wife and newborn instead of going to voluntary workouts. How DARE HE! We must burn him at the stake for such insolence. 

Nevermind that he has been working out with one of the best O-line trainers around to practice his craft and get in shape. Nevermind that he showed up when he actually had to. Nevermind that his comments on social media were all about proving people wrong and coming back as the dominant player supporters always knew he could be. Forget that. Childish insults, fat jokes, calling him lazy, and a 'bum' is way more fun.

Then, when he starts playing lights out during the regular season, those same Jet fans will quickly turn around and start supporting him, as if they never sat there behind their screens and little keyboards spewing vile hatred towards a 23yr old kid. And as soon as he gets hurt, even if its just for a few games, they will crawl out of their holes again and start to trash on him "See! It was because he wasn't here for OTA's!! That lazy bum. Cut him! I was right! I was right!" 

Ladies and gentlemen...these are Jet fans.    

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The Jets have stunk for far too long and we're all crabby about it but can we not bite each others head's off? 

When I look at the youth and the schedule and all that, I'm thinking 7-8 wins.  But I have a strange feeling that, somehow, we're going to outperform expectations and this is going to end up being a very fun season.  Obviously, it's easy to be optimistic right now but I really do think this franchise is just starting to turn the corner.

Now that that's out of the way I feel it's safe to say that the complete rebuild starts next year!

1250980992_ArchManning.jpg.5087cd3605f89678be88b8587b00bb28.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Its simple.

Its because he doesn't say all the right things on his social media and because he doesn't live and breathe FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL.

Because, HOW DARE HE! How dare he decide to take extra time to fully heal his body before coming back to the field. How dare he take time to witness the birth of his child and spend as much time as he can in the first few days with his wife and newborn instead of going to voluntary workouts. How DARE HE! We must burn him at the stake for such insolence. 

Nevermind that he has been working out with one of the best O-line trainers around to practice his craft and get in shape. Nevermind that he showed up when he actually had to. Nevermind that his comments on social media were all about proving people wrong and coming back as the dominant player supporters always knew he could be. Forget that. Childish insults, fat jokes, calling him lazy, and a 'bum' is way more fun.

Then, when he starts playing lights out during the regular season, those same Jet fans will quickly turn around and start supporting him, as if they never sat there behind their screens and little keyboards spewing vile hatred towards a 23yr old kid. And as soon as he gets hurt, even if its just for a few games, they will crawl out of their holes again and start to trash on him "See! It was because he wasn't here for OTA's!! That lazy bum. Cut him! I was right! I was right!" 

Ladies and gentlemen...these are Jet fans.    

Hatred?  Fat shamming isn't hatred it's an act of love.  It's not healthy to be morbidly obese.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Nevermind that he showed up when he actually had to

*except for part of 2020 and all of 2021

Not sure this is the example of his dedication to point out. Sure, he can have several other priorities in life. He obviously does. 

Question though; how often does a football player who doesn't highly prioritize football, work out in the NFL? Do you imagine they often go to pro bowls, or contribute to playoff teams?

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, but this isn't some random guy.  It's the GM and we have to assume he isn't lying.  

If the case is he's still rehabbing it should be concerning to every Jet fan - that's all I'm saying.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Also, people forget that the coaches were not truly happy about Becton before the season. He was working through "issues" if I recall correctly, he showed up to camp quite a bit beefy. Also below is a partial paste from an article.

"Becton is going to have to stay healthy if he wants to stay in the starting lineup. Controlling his weight will go a long way in ensuring that happens. Becton, who weighed 363 pounds at the 2020 combine, got up to at least 400 pounds while rehabbing his knee injury, according to ESPN's Rich Cimini.Apr 13, 2022"

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/13/new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-weight-nutritionist-ann-claiborne/

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

I couldn't possibly agree more. Also, people forget that the coaches were not truly happy about Becton before the season. He was working through "issues" if I recall correctly, he showed up to camp quite a bit beefy. Also below is a partial paste from an article

Link?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This is the last week of voluntary OTAs.  Mandatory mini-camp is next Tuesday thru Thursday.  6/14-6/16.

Yup. Not Becton related but just to add to the offseason dates, Zach Wilson will be at TE University on (6/22-6/24) the week after mandatory mini camp.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Not sure this is the example of his dedication to point out. Sure, he can have several other priorities in life. He obviously does. 

Question though; how often does a football player who doesn't highly prioritize football, work out in the NFL? Do you imagine they often go to pro bowls, or contribute to playoff teams?

I've followed your criticism of Mekhi closely and as you know, you're on the list but what I think it is important that your realize your position and attitude on Mekhi's commitment is very Bill Lumbergh and nobody wants to be Lumbergh. 

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I've followed your criticism of Mekhi closely and as you know, you're on the list but what I think it is important that your realize your position and attitude on Mekhi's commitment is very Bill Lumbergh and nobody wants to be Lumbergh. 

Hmm, I don't know about that...

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, freestater said:

What does highly prioritize football mean? Do all the other players that routinely miss voluntary OTAs not prioritize football? Because a bunch are future HOFers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Office Space No GIF

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What does highly prioritize football mean? Do all the other players that routinely miss voluntary OTAs not prioritize football? Because a bunch are future HOFers.  

Read the first paragraph of the post to which I was replying.

5 hours ago, freestater said:

So let me get this straight. ALL NFL players are supposed to have ZERO other interests and choose FOOTBALL over FAMILY? Otherwise they cannot succeed? 

WTF are you even talking about???

Larry Fitzgerald is well known for travelling all over the world, 10+ different countries to take photos because he's into photography. He does this mostly in the offseason. OBVIOUSLY. He's not focused on football all the time. In fact, I would bet he spends A LOT of time focusing on other things. He's headed for the HOF. I would call him a success in the NFL.   

Are you also suggesting an injured NFL player should be playing on the field? Yup, just throw him out there fresh out of surgery. He'll do fine. 

link GIF

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So let me get this straight. ALL NFL players are supposed to have ZERO other interests and choose FOOTBALL over FAMILY? Otherwise they cannot succeed? 

WTF are you even talking about???

Reductio ad absurdum. Not what I said. 

You said "he doesn’t live and breathe FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL" 

I commented that is his choice,, but the ones that dont, rarely live up to high standards, much less high first rounders. The annals of football are replete with highly drafted "studs" who didn't "live and breathe football football football" and their overall outcomes aren't stellar. To pretend otherwise is silly. Silly. 

• Upvote 2

Semi-joking question:

When you're as big as Becton (or Becton Sr.)., does the team have to install a gargantuan custom toilet?

Otherwise I imagine there might be some struggles with "accuracy" in the lavatory similar to Zach Wilson's on the football field.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Semi-joking question:

When you're as big as Becton (or Becton Sr.)., does the team have to install a gargantuan custom toilet?

Otherwise I imagine there might be some struggles with "accuracy" in the lavatory similar to Zach Wilson's on the football field.

No joke, in another form, I have posed that question to various family and friends.  (I sound like Costanza with the "manure" preoccupation.)  How do large men and women go to the toilet?  Always think this whilst watching NFL games or the TV show, My 600 Pound Life.