Is anyone else talking themselves into the Jets being good this season after swearing to never do that again?

The past two years, I figured our ceiling was .400-.500, but it was more a dream than anything.  Injury removed all chance of that last year, and the previous year would have required Darnold turning into a franchise qb but otherwise would have needed a miracle b/c of how bad the talent/cap situation was (thanks Mac).

This year, I actually think .500 is doable.  Schedule is rough, and true we have a ton of rookies/1yr players but then injuries change everything in the NFL, and we have a deep enough roster to compete in the grindy months.

Playoffs, is probably not going to happen, our franchise qb isn't anywhere near good enough yet (and it just takes a lot of time and reps to get it).  But I do think a late season surge is possible for us, and that we could (if ZW cooperates) turn into a playoff team the following season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Wow.  I am really surprised by the optimism in this thread.  I think we are heading in the right direction, but I have thought that before.  Until we are good again, I find it hard to believe we will be good.  I am excited for the season, look forward to getting togther with friends to watch games, go to a couple in person.  See what some of the young guys can do, should be a fun season.  Hoping to be surprised, but I am not expecting a good team. 

We could start 8-0 and I would probably still fear the 9 game losing streak to close out the season.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wow.  I am really surprised by the optimism in this thread.  I think we are heading in the right direction, but I have thought that before.  Until we are good again, I find it hard to believe we will be good.  I am excited for the season, look forward to getting togther with friends to watch games, go to a couple in person.  See what some of the young guys can do, should be a fun season.  Hoping to be surprised, but I am not expecting a good team. 

We could start 8-0 and I would probably still fear the 9 game losing streak to close out the season.

And I'd still consider 8-9 to be a reasonably successful season.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

The problem is that every time I think this way the Jets roundhouse kick me right in balls. Decades upon decades of getting punted in the nuts and I’m talking myself into it happening again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I never swore not to do it again.

We're a team with alot of exciting young talent.  It'll be exciting, I hope, to see them play and grow.

Nothing wrong with feeling a little bit of that excitement.  Enjoy it.

Stay fairly healthy and we should get a decent amount of wins.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What am I doing? This is going to end horribly.

This year's Jets are either going to be very good or very bad. No in between, because with competent qb play the team is set up to play very well, and without competent qb play no team can be anything but terrible