Jump to content

Is anyone else talking themselves into the Jets being good this season after swearing to never do that again?


Recommended Posts

In the end it will come down to injuries for the Jets and how injured the teams we play are or if they have a tough scheduling situation to overcome (like GB will)

From a talent standpoint I think we are the most upgraded year to year I can remember. Even if the draft picks all bust we are still better than last year by a good amount and if they hit we will be a very talented team.

No record prediction. Think about this: every year there are around 6 new teams in the playoffs. That means that around 20% of the league will be noticeably worse and 20% will be clearly better so basing how hard a game is for us this year is complete folly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

If you are a Jets fan for who goes into any season with any other mindset than hoping for the best but expecting the worst, you are an ignorant fool.

[Checks bet slips from this week]

Placed $100 on Jets to make playoffs at +700

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot to be excited about with this roster.  I just don't believe in the QB, which tempers my excitement and expectations a good bit.  6+ downvotes incoming!

This is where I'm at.  I think if this draft lives up to its potential, this roster could be just one more solid offseason away from a championship caliber.  I just worry that we'll be in the 2010 situation again next year.  All I can ask for from them is that if this year, Zach doesn't make meaningful, obvious strides, that we address the situation aggressively next year.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do that every year.  remember when qwill or leo were supposed to be qb wreckers?  or trumaine was going to add stability and talent to the secondary? or wilson (the cb) was going to be a stud? or sanchez was going to break the mold and be a decent USC qb (followed by darnold who also made sure the mold stayed intact)? the list goes on and on.  however it does feel different this season than it has in a long time.  douglas is actually looking at team needs instead of flashy names.  and instead of going into the season with multi team ret-treads at qb like fitzy or mccown at least there's some hope that wilson brings that extra special to the position.  i have faith that douglas knew what he was doing by dumping darnold and going with wilson.  and it also looks like we have some good rb's instead of the long line of free agents and over the hill guys.  same thing with te's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

If Zach plays well….9 plus wins.    Unless Saleh coaches like he did last year.   Saleh is Rah Rah…. I want to see execution.   

I want MORE rah-rah. I like Coach, but he’s honestly a bit more subdued than I thought he’d be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I want MORE rah-rah. I like Coach, but he’s honestly a bit more subdued than I thought he’d be. 

I thought he made quite a few errors last year with clock, personnel etc.   Rookie errors but still…….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lith said:

Its not just Paul Maguire.  Its more the weight of the last 12 years.  Nothing has gone right for this team for a decade.  I am cautiously optimistic, but I need to see it on the field before I will fully buy in. 

We need to be a good team before I will believe we will be a good team.  If that makes any sense.

True, but if you got the Maguire reference, you are old enough to know, that even if we get it right and everything looks great, the rug can be pulled at any time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ZachEY said:

This is where I'm at.  I think if this draft lives up to its potential, this roster could be just one more solid offseason away from a championship caliber.  I just worry that we'll be in the 2010 situation again next year.  All I can ask for from them is that if this year, Zach doesn't make meaningful, obvious strides, that we address the situation aggressively next year.

This is where I’m at as well. What concerns me about this team is momentum. The schedule before the bye is brutal. The most winnable games are on the road (Cleveland and Pitt). Cleveland even without Watson has a good running game and defense while the Jets (in their history) have only have 1 victory in Pitt. I fear that a bad start to the season for a young team could cause them to spiral downward.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

This is where I’m at as well. What concerns me about this team is momentum. The schedule before the bye is brutal. The most winnable games are on the road (Cleveland and Pitt). Cleveland even without Watson has a good running game and defense while the Jets (in their history) have only have 1 victory in Pitt. I fear that a bad start to the season for a young team could cause them to spiral downward.

Good chance week 4 is Pickett’s debut. I hope it is. Trubisky is dangerous.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good chance week 4 is Pickett’s debut. I hope it is. Trubisky is dangerous.

Jets will be 3-1 going into week 5 vs the Dolphins.  And metlife will be the loudest its been since the win and your in GB game in 2002.  And the jets will smack the fins to win their first division game in 3 years and never look bback.

That will be the game where question dpuglas and saleh ever again will never happen.  Even the crazys will get on board then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 11:31 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot to be excited about with this roster.  I just don't believe in the QB, which tempers my excitement and expectations a good bit.  6+ downvotes incoming!

 

22 hours ago, ZachEY said:

This is where I'm at.  I think if this draft lives up to its potential, this roster could be just one more solid offseason away from a championship caliber.  I just worry that we'll be in the 2010 situation again next year.  All I can ask for from them is that if this year, Zach doesn't make meaningful, obvious strides, that we address the situation aggressively next year.

6 lackluster games then it’s, Super Bowl MVP time , I don’t want to watch another dreadful year of Jets football. With this roster? Flacco gets us close to the playoffs,  if we aren’t already 0-7 before they put him in. He’s got at least one more championship run in him. 

452230B0-7D2C-47F0-9B2C-C9DEBDE76B42.jpeg

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets will be 3-1 going into week 5 vs the Dolphins.  And metlife will be the loudest its been since the win and your in GB game in 2002.  And the jets will smack the fins to win their first division game in 3 years and never look bback.

That will be the game where question dpuglas and saleh ever again will never happen.  Even the crazys will get on board then.

I can’t believe I’m asking this but who are the crazies and what do they stand for?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

 

6 lackluster games then it’s, Super Bowl MVP time , I don’t want to watch another dreadful year of Jets football. With this roster? Flacco gets us close to the playoffs,  if we aren’t already 0-7 before they put him in. He’s got at least one more championship run in him. 

452230B0-7D2C-47F0-9B2C-C9DEBDE76B42.jpeg

I wonder what must be going through his mind backing up the worst rated QB in the league two years in a row. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jgb said:

I wonder what must be going through his mind backing up the worst rated QB in the league two years in a row. 

Probably thinking it was pretty easy money, especially compared to any non-professional athletes  he has in his peer group or family. Dude was obviously pretty happy clearing few more millions before starting what comes next. 
 

But last year in one particularly sexy throw to Elijah more I watched his body language change, as if to say,” Damn, get me couple more guys like this.”

 

Well they did, Flacco no longer is happy to make millions to just sit and watch crappy football with the rest of us. He has the eye of the Tiger back , he knows he can make a push with this squad. He’s waited long enough! It’s time!! FREE FLACCO!!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Probably thinking it was pretty easy money, especially compared to any non-professional athletes  he has in his peer group or family. Dude was obviously pretty happy clearing few more millions before starting what comes next. 
 

But last year in one particularly sexy throw to Elijah more I watched his body language change, as if to say,” Damn, get me couple more guys like this.”

 

Well they did, Flacco no longer is happy to make millions to just sit and watch crappy football with the rest of us. He has the eye of the Tiger back , he knows he can make a push with this squad. He’s waited long enough! It’s time!! FREE FLACCO!!!


Stop demanding for Jets players to get “freed”, Crush, it has never worked.  Dexter McDougle, Christian Hackenberg, Denzel Mims….never works.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:


Stop demanding for Jets players to get “freed”, Crush, it has never worked.  Dexter McDougle, Christian Hackenberg, Denzel Mims….never works.  

So basically I’m due! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, jgb said:

Good chance week 4 is Pickett’s debut. I hope it is. Trubisky is dangerous.

So, I get the whole the past has nothing to do with the present thing... But does any Jet fan really believe that the Jets traveling to Pitsburgh and Pickett making his NFL debut....that the Jets will not make Pickett look like the QB who will make the NFL forget about Tom Brady, Mahomes, and Montanna?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 11:01 PM, jgb said:

I wonder what must be going through his mind backing up the worst rated QB in the league two years in a row. 

"Hmmm, do I want my 3 million dollars in large bills, or do I want to get it all in 1s and roll around in it in a large pile on my king-sized, silk-laden bed?"

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Jetsfan80 said:


Stop demanding for Jets players to get “freed”, Crush, it has never worked.  Dexter McDougle, Christian Hackenberg, Denzel Mims….never works.  

Free Kellen Winslow Jr

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, GreenFish said:

I’m expecting us to have an average to above average offense and a below average defense on our way to 7 to 8 wins.

Not sure if that qualifies as me expecting us to be good.  

It doesn't. They won 7 games with Gase and Darnold with mono. They have to get no less than 9 wins to evan be thought of as maybe being good....which I believe they can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, maury77 said:

This is where I’m at as well. What concerns me about this team is momentum. The schedule before the bye is brutal. The most winnable games are on the road (Cleveland and Pitt). Cleveland even without Watson has a good running game and defense while the Jets (in their history) have only have 1 victory in Pitt. I fear that a bad start to the season for a young team could cause them to spiral downward.

Maybe.  We did finish 6-2 after a disastrous start not that long ago.  One win can change momentum, if that's really a thing.  So, hopefully they just play well.  The pieces will fall into place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pajet said:

So, I get the whole the past has nothing to do with the present thing... But does any Jet fan really believe that the Jets traveling to Pitsburgh and Pickett making his NFL debut....that the Jets will not make Pickett look like the QB who will make the NFL forget about Tom Brady, Mahomes, and Montanna?

Lol you may be right but we already know empirically that Mitch is dangerous:

Mitch Trubisky enjoys a 115 rating, 84% completion percentage and 2:0 TD:INT ratio in two games against Saleh's defense (with vastly superior personnel in SF).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every year I try to be optimistic about improvement but realistic about whether the team will live up to that optimism. The Gase years were really the only years I had very little optimism during the offseason. 

Plenty of reasons for optimism this year. The roster is the strongest it's been in over a decade, we have a young QB heading into his sophomore year, the offensive side of coaching seems pretty good right now. If Saleh can steer the ship forward and the defensive coaching improves, then we might have something fun to watch this year. A lot of upside and hard to see how the team could do worse than last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, jgb said:

I can’t believe I’m asking this but who are the crazies and what do they stand for?

The crazies are the majority of jet fans.  They wanted Lafluer fired by week 5 of last year. They think Saleh stinks and want him fired.  A week before the draft they wanted Joe Douglas fired.  They think Post UK Woody should sell the team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2022 at 5:52 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I am.  Though the 5.5 over/under for wins is definitely a concern.  But I still think we're going to have a breakout year.

I think the Jets can win 7 to 8 games this season if Zack Wilson develops and Corey Davis plays to his potential and stops dropping easy ones. An improved o-line and RB's that can run and catch as well as 3 good TE's Jets offense should be much improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They went after playmakers the last two years. When’s the last time that even happened? The culture of this organization became drafting almost nothing but interior defense and safeties for like a decade and watching the team became a test of one’s patience rather than being able to enjoy watching sports (wild concept, I know). I have no idea how many games they will win but at the very least I think the football will be bearable to watch, and with the Jets that’s really saying something. 

Completely agree.  The team has the potential to be fun to watch.  Crazy that that's a change that needed to and has happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...