Zach Wilson has potential to become 'big-timer'

6 minutes ago, PorP said:

I just watched a post minicamp overview from Sabo. He said Zach looked improved in a lot of areas but is still struggling with dirt balls on the easy throws.

He said it showed up in every practice.

Hopefully Zach can get that worked out before September. 

How many?  He did one a game in college and was still one of the most accurate passers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

How many?  He did one a game in college and was still one of the most accurate passers.  

He didn't get into amounts. 

Later in the show he did say if Zach can clean that up then "watch out"

He also had a lot to say about Becton not much of it was negative so that was good too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Odd that none of the beatwriters who attended mini-camp mentioned seeing that.

Same thought here,  was the 1st I heard. 

You can find the show I was watch on YouTube... it's the... something(?) Asman show. 

For Zach to be a "big-timer", he will need his WRs to beat man coverage and for him to place the ball in their hands in stride. Because DC are going to blitz the crap out of him until that happens. There will be no zone BS if CBs can stick to the WR tail.

He will also need Garrett to become a #1, he has the skillset to be that, he'll just have to be that sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

For Zach to be a "big-timer", he will need his WRs to beat man coverage and for him to place the ball in their hands in stride. Because DC are going to blitz the crap out of him until that happens. There will be no zone BS if CBs can stick to the WR tail.

He will also need Garrett to become a #1, he has the skillset to be that, he'll just have to be that sooner rather than later.

I completely agree with this, and Moore and Garret I think have the potential to do that.  

But I also agree we will see blitz until the entire team can get their act together long enough to allow Zach to connect.  

1 hour ago, PorP said:

I just watched a post minicamp overview from Sabo. He said Zach looked improved in a lot of areas but is still struggling with dirt balls on the easy throws.

He said it showed up in every practice.

Hopefully Zach can get that worked out before September. 

Link?

What truly separates the greats is their mental makeup.

I mean we'll see, but I don't think Wilson has it.

If I were the Jets, I never would have aired that segment on Ep. 1 last night where ZW is talking in a monologue to the camera from his living room about his struggles.  I am not trying to be a downer here, but honestly, he just does not come across as a confident player.

He basically admitted in that segment that for most of the year, when dropping back, he had no clue what he was looking at.

And the way he talks, I don't know how to say it..... as he's saying whatever he's saying, you get the feeling that even he doesn't believe the words coming out of his own mouth.  

It's like he's saying what he knows is acceptable, or just parroting company line buzzwords or whatever ("improvement", "culture", "process", etc.).  There's just something inauthentic about how he presents.  I felt the same way about Darnold. 

So maybe part of it is a hyper-controlling Jets PR department handing these guys a script and warning them not to deviate.  I have no idea.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I completely agree with this, and Moore and Garret I think have the potential to do that.  

But I also agree we will see blitz until the entire team can get their act together long enough to allow Zach to connect.  

I like Moore, I liked him better than every WR in last years draft not named Ja'Mar Chase. Garrett has the ability to go get the ball in the air with great hands. He will make Zach look better than he is at times.

This WR corp is as raw as Zach is at QB. It's up to the coaching staff to get them going.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, he has that potential.  

I presume that is why he was drafted #2 overall.

Hopefully he will turn that potential into actual production this year. 

Or at least give us a definitive answer whether we are talking about a “winning powerball” likelihood of reaching that potential or a “hitting 5 free throws in a row” likelihood.

A good start for me would be finishing top half in any of the big 3 QB stats — yards, TDs or completion %. I’m not asking for the moon here, just a taste.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What truly separates the greats is their mental makeup.

I mean we'll see, but I don't think Wilson has it.

If I were the Jets, I never would have aired that segment on Ep. 1 last night where ZW is talking in a monologue to the camera from his living room about his struggles.  I am not trying to be a downer here, but honestly, he just does not come across as a confident player.

He basically admitted in that segment that for most of the year, when dropping back, he had no clue what he was looking at.

And the way he talks, I don't know how to say it..... as he's saying whatever he's saying, you get the feeling that even he doesn't believe the words coming out of his own mouth.  

It's like he's saying what he knows is acceptable, or just parroting company line buzzwords or whatever ("improvement", "culture", "process", etc.).  There's just something inauthentic about how he presents.  I felt the same way about Darnold. 

So maybe part of it is a hyper-controlling Jets PR department handing these guys a script and warning them not to deviate.  I have no idea.

This is a strange take.  At least from my perspective.

I saw a confident kid that was showing how early in the season the WR's and him had communication problems and how at the end of the season they figured it out - He showed one specific "play" where early in the year the receivers were in the wrong spot and he made the wrong read - then immediately  showed how the same play at the end of the season it went for a long TD against the leagues best D.

Just strange in that it feels like we were watching a completely different show.  I saw a confident kid that is excited how he progressed and excited to get more reps to continue to progress.  

• Upvote 2

Anything is possible, he showed progress last year towards the end.  he needs to build upon that and be a leader that his teammates not only look up too but would be willing to fight for is he gets pancaked by a dirty play.  We shall see...