Dan Orlovsky Believes In Zach

BurntDice

Dan Orlovksy who is a former NFL QB among 2 other former NFL QBs have shown belief in Zach. Goodbye to the perception that “Only Jets and BYU homers” have faith in our young QB. A lot of of us see it and can’t wait for his success 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Yeah, Zach won’t sniff those numbers. 

They definitely seem high. I see maybe 25 tds 12 ints and 3200 yards. Especially because this seems to be a run heavy offense

22 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Damn. 30+ TDs and less than 10 INTs. Those are aggressive expectations.

I’m just hoping for a 2:1 ratio.

If he is a FQB, he should be near 4,000 yards though (assuming he plays 17 games). Mac Jones dinked and donked his way to 3,800 yards on a heavy running team. Anything less is weak. 

I’m just hesitant because i don’t think we’ve ever had a 4K qb (ugh) if he shows his potential then I 100% agree 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I’m just hesitant because i don’t think we’ve ever had was a 4K qb (ugh) if he shows how potential then I 100% agree 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/single-season-passing.htm

Only one, Joe Namath, 1967, 4,007 yards.

It's never happend since.  So far....

Kenny O, 1985, >60%, 3,888 with a 25:8 TD:INT (better than 3:1) is probably the best single production season a Jets QB has ever had. 

Or as close to "Franchise QB Production level" as we've ever gotten.  Vinny T in 1998 is close, >60%, 29:7 ratio, but much less passing production (Curtis Martin, nuff' said) with 3,256 yards.

Reading this list is frankly depressing.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’m just hesitant because i don’t think we’ve ever had was a 4K qb (ugh) if he shows how potential then I 100% agree 

No doubt. I agree that it’s a high bar. My comment wasn't directed at you by the way. I just think that is where he should be if he is indeed a FQB. 

We haven't had a FQB over the last two decades (roughly the passing era) which is why we haven't hit that mark. Plus the 1 extra game helps a lot.

Lots of people on this site think Mac Jones is just a game manager. But our expectations for Zach in year 2 are much lower than what Mac did in his year 1.

Edit: totally forgot Namath hit the mark. I just always assume those guys back then were much lower. Wish I would have been able to see him play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Kenny O, 1985, >60%, 3,888 with a 25:8 TD:INT (better than 3:1) is probably the best single production season a Jets QB has ever had. 

Or as close to "Franchise QB Production level" as we've ever gotten.  Vinny T in 1998 is close, >60%, 29:7 ratio, but much less passing production (Curtis Martin, nuff' said) with 3,256 yards.

I bet. I saw that fitz was very close to 4K. He was around 3900, but besides him the past 20 years it’s been rough. It’s a qb friendly league now so hopefully Zach can break some records 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

4,007 yards in 14 games back in the 60’s. Dang!!!

• Upvote 2

Just now, BurntDice said:

I bet. I saw that fitz was very close to 4K. He was around 3900, but besides him the past 20 years it’s been rough. It’s a qb friendly league now so hopefully Zach can break some records 

Yup, Fitz was the 2nd highest yardage in franchise history at 3,905, and with a still-respectable 2:1 ratio of 31 to 15 TD:INT.  31 passing TD's is our franchise record.  He's not very popular on JN tho, so...

Namath's >4,000 passing yards is indeed even more impressive because of the 14 game season.  What is less impressive is his 26:28 TD:INT and his 52.5% comp. rate, but many will argue that low comp. rates and lots of INT's were just the way it was back then, even for greats. 

A look at passing stats for 1967 would lend that view some credence, honestly:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1967_AFL/passing.htm

Before my time, so I will withhold any judgement.  Just the facts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yup, Fitz was the 2nd highest yardage in franchise history at 3,905, and with a still-respectable 2:1 ratio of 31 to 15 TD:INT.  31 passing TD's is our franchise record.  He's not very popular on JN tho, so...

Namath's >4,000 passing yards is indeed even more impressive because of the 14 game season.  What is less impressive is his 26:28 TD:INT and his 52.5% comp. rate, but many will argue that low comp. rates and lots of INT's were just the way it was back then, even for greats. 

A look at passing stats for 1967 would lend that view some credence, honestly:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1967_AFL/passing.htm

Before my time, so I will withhold any judgement.  Just the facts.

Agreed. I was born 20 years after that season, so I’m not really one to judge in contrast to the other guys of that era. I’ve watched the Super Bowl, but that’s it. He seemed like a really cool dude, gameplay wise tho im sure he was good, but great idk. 

That fitz year though. Man beating the pats was so incredibly fun. I was so amped up

• Upvote 3

Lots of people on this sight think Mac Jones is just a game manager. But our expectations for Zach in year 2 are much lower than what Mac did in his year 1.

This.

People on here love to say Mac sucks and Zack is gonna be a superstar...but don't even think he will be as good as Mac already was as a rookie.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This.

People on here love to say Mac sucks and Zack is gonna be a superstar...but don't even think he will be as good as Mac already was as a rookie.

I don't think anyone has said Mac sucks - just that he has a low ceiling.  And I believe that to be true.  

The reality is he was coming from a far more advanced system in college and a far better situation in his rookie year.  

Look, I am, by no means, saying ZW is going to be better than him - but Zach's NFL starting point was far behind Mac's....Mac's rookie situation was better than Zac's and Zac's upside is far better than Mac's.

Zach has a long way to go - but if he figures it out he will, without question, be a better QB than Mac.

I think all of those points are pretty much indisputable.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fitzmagic was 95 yds away from hitting 4000yds

I don't think anyone has said Mac sucks - just that he has a low ceiling.  And I believe that to be true.  
The reality is he was coming from a far more advanced system in college and a far better situation in his rookie year.  
Look, I am, by no means, saying ZW is going to be better than him - but Zach's NFL starting point was far behind Mac's....Mac's rookie situation was better than Zac's and Zac's upside is far better than Mac's.
Zach has a long way to go - but if he figures it out he will, without question, be a better QB than Mac.
I agree with everything you said....

Except the part about nobody saying that Mac sucks. I have been reading it on this board for over a year. If I wasn't so lazy I'd search for posts but I'm sure that others can also verify that it's been said more times than I care to remember.

• Upvote 2

Actually....I found these just by searching "Mac sucks @$$"

Point is...lots of people said he sucked.Screenshot_20220618-105039.jpegScreenshot_20220618-104929.jpegScreenshot_20220618-104851.jpegScreenshot_20220618-104823.jpegScreenshot_20220618-104512.jpegScreenshot_20220618-104500.jpeg

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

This.

Mac is perfect.  Good enough to keep the job and noodle armed enough to suck late in the season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

They definitely seem high. I see maybe 25 tds 12 ints and 3200 yards. Especially because this seems to be a run heavy offense

We would absolutely take that with the running game going. If he protects the ball, he should be able to approach a 3:1 TD to Touchdown Ratio. 

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Actually....I found these just by searching "Mac sucks @$$"

Point is...lots of people said he sucked.

I appreciate you posting my take but nowhere in that take did I say, "Mac Jones sucks".  I said, he sucked when he was forced to throw the ball downfield and not just dink and dunk and I said that because it's 100% true.  What is also true is that Mac Jones was by far the best rookie of the class (though Davis Mills isnt that far behind considering his situation) but I also believe he's very limited, and I'd take the potential of every QB taken in that 1st round over him.  I believe the Patriots will never be true contenders with Mac Jones because of his limitations.  Come Dec.  Mac Jones is not who you want as your QB, unless you play in a dome.  Does that mean I think he sucks?  Nope.  I just dont think he's good enough.  He's Chad Pennington 2.0 but he'd never be able to pull off the Buffalo Bootleg the way Chadwick did.

chad-pennington-nyj.gif

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This makes sense when comparing their rookie season. However, going into year 2, Zach will likely have a total 4 preseason nfl games, 14 nfl regular season games and 30 mid major college games under his belt. All while being in the same system for over a year including a full offseason just to train and learn the system.

Yet approaching Mac Jones’ rookie numbers are considered a long shot. Despite Mac also being on a run heavy team and just dinking and donking his way down the field.

Not you specifically. But the narrative is inconsistent. Cant say Zach has the juice and still be subpar stats wise in year 2. The expectation of the player should be aligned with the expectations on the stat sheet.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This makes sense when comparing their rookie season. However, going into year 2, Zach will likely have a total 4 preseason nfl games, 14 nfl regular season games and 30 mid major college games under his belt. All while being in the same system for over a year including a full offseason just to train and learn the system.

Yet approaching Mac Jones’ rookie numbers are considered a long shot. Despite Mac also being on a run heavy team and just dinking and donking his way down the field.

Not you specifically. But the narrative is inconsistent. Cant say Zach has the juice and still be subpar stats wise in year 2. The expectation of the player should be aligned with the expectations on the stat sheet.

Two things:

1) I'm not sure Mac Jones will put up Mac Jones numbers in year two.  In fact, I would be surprised if he did.  The league figures out guys like him and ultimately makes them do things they're not comfortable doing.

2) Zach will certainly be better this year - but I really do feel like year 3 is when Zach should be expected to enter the elite in the league.  Showing real progress as this year goes on.  I suspect ZW and MJ's numbers to be very close this year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

4,007 yards in 14 games back in the 60’s. Dang!!!

Wasnt another 4000 yard season until the 1980's.  In 16 games and new rules

• Upvote 1