If I was Baker Mayfield...

Bronx

Great question.

If you're Baker - $18mm dollars or pride?

If you're the Browns: Do you really want a QB starting that doesn't want to be there?

Tricky, I think when all's said and done - Baker doesn't play another down for the Browns and they get the #1 pick next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

BM is under contract.   He is required to play.  He can play for his next contract.  He should suck it up and play and move on. 

Watson should not get paid for the time he is suspended.   The Browns should push for a long suspension.  Like really long.  Years.  

We should trade Be3ton to Cleveland for Mayfield.  New scenery for both.

• WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Great question.

If you're Baker - $18mm dollars or pride?

If you're the Browns: Do you really want a QB starting that doesn't want to be there?

Tricky, I think when all's said and done - Baker doesn't play another down for the Browns and they get the #1 pick next year.

where is this #1 pick coming from? Baker?

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

We should trade Be3ton to Cleveland for Mayfield.  New scenery for both.

Seems like an odd suggestion, considering Mayfield can't play LT.  Unless you want him to play QB, in which case I doubt Wilson can play LT either.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

If I was Baker Mayfield . . .

I would not play the victim card, or the act butthurt, or show any self pity in the slightest way. My attitude would be "I appreciate the Browns and thank them for all they've done and I am excited to move on and work my butt off."

He can be honest about the situation, and that it's obvious he should move on without any finger pointing. Take utter and total accountability and tell teams you want to work your butt off and prove to them what you can do.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

If I was Baker Mayfield . . .

I would not play the victim card, or the act butthurt, or show any self pity in the slightest way. My attitude would be "I appreciate the Browns and thank them for all they've done and I am excited to move on and work my butt off."

He can be honest about the situation, and that it's obvious he should move on without any finger pointing. Take utter and total accountability and tell teams you want to work your butt off and prove to them what you can do.

I would at least flip the middle finger on my out.

Baker is under rated, he played hurt all last year. Watson is a move previous front office last may have tried.

If he’s guilty of any of these allegations he’s not playing for the Browns ever.

His only action will be with the Mean Machine, and Bubba in cell 4.

• Upvote 1

Baker is a good player when healthy. But he must be very difficult to deal with behind the scenes for the Browns to give up on him so quickly for Watson and all his off-the-field troubles.

The Browns actually saw a QB who may not play this year, has a terrible off-field reputation, and who cost 3 first round picks and a gazillion dollars guaranteed as preferable to the guy they picked #1 overall 4 years ago and who has played well when healthy.

Mayfield has that prickly persona, and it must be even worse behind closed doors for the Browns to make the move that they did.

If I am Baker, with the millions I already have in my pocket, I stand firm:

Trade me, because I'm not playing for you Browns.  

This was the Browns choice, not his.  And the Browns should live with that decision.

Yes, Baker could "play for his next contract", but the Browns could also franchise tag him, for multiple years to come.  

Screw that noise, separate now.  I'd rather be a backup with a team that wants me than start for a team that didn't.

Since the Browns started this, I have no issue with Baker using his own leverage now.  I'm not usually a hold out supporter, but in this case I'm happy to make an exception.

Then again, I'm one of the very few here who liked Baker coming out, and still likes Baker to some degree.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If I am Baker, with the millions I already have in my pocket, I stand firm:

Trade me, because I'm not playing for you Browns.  

This was the Browns choice, not his.  And the Browns should live with that decision.

Yes, Baker could "play for his next contract", but the Browns could also franchise tag him, for multiple years to come.  

Screw that noise, separate now.  I'd rather be a backup with a team that wants me than start for a team that didn't.

Since the Browns started this, I have no issue with Baker using his own leverage now.  I'm not usually a hold out supporter, but in this case I'm happy to make an exception.

Then again, I'm one of the very few here who liked Baker coming out, and still likes Baker to some degree.

Baker was my #1 coming out that year.  I really liked him and still do like him.

But $18mm is $18mm, I don't care how much money you have - while I agree the Browns should suck it up - they chose to pay an unrepentant sexual predator $230mm - but should and could are two different things.

I do think they will eventually end up trading him (for close to nothing) and eat most of his salary - but if I'm Baker and forced to do so - I play.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

If Baker was smart, he'd suck it up and play. He'd be a hero on every single media program and message board around the league. He's literally been given the opportunity to have a mediocre year and get Dashaun Watson money for it. 

Again, the browns dont want baker mayfield.  Why does this keep coming up?  He has no option to play for the browns because the browns dont want him as their qb.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Again, the browns dont want baker mayfield.  Why does this keep coming up?  He has no option to play for the browns because the browns dont want him as their qb.

Quantify please! What is plan B upon Porky Pig's suspension?