If I was Baker Mayfield...

Bronx

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The Browns actually saw a QB who may not play this year, has a terrible off-field reputation, and who cost 3 first round picks and a gazillion dollars guaranteed as preferable to the guy they picked #1 overall 4 years ago and who has played well when healthy.

While also pissing off a large portion of their fanbase and every NFL owner for a QB who will miss at least one season of his contract, making his year per even more ridiculous

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Baker was my #1 coming out that year.  I really liked him and still do like him.

But $18mm is $18mm, I don't care how much money you have - while I agree the Browns should suck it up - they chose to pay an unrepentant sexual predator $230mm - but should and could are two different things.

I do think they will eventually end up trading him (for close to nothing) and eat most of his salary - but if I'm Baker and forced to do so - I play.

Yup.  That's the counterargument, no question.

Although I don’t particularly think Baker is that good and has a personality that might rub people the wrong way he should just suck it up and have all pro year. Show the other teams that will need a QB that he is worth a large investment in time and money then go wherever he is wanted as I don’t think in that scenario Cleveland is going to franchise tag him to try and keep him 

• Upvote 2

Porky Pig Watson is catching up with Colin Kaepernick's NFL absence. It will be 3 years by the time he plays a single snap. 

This will come down as one of the worst signings in the NFL history. 

You deserve this Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Although I don’t particularly think Baker is that good and has a personality that might rub people the wrong way he should just suck it up and have all pro year. Show the other teams that will need a QB that he is worth a large investment in time and money then go wherever he is wanted as I don’t think in that scenario Cleveland is going to franchise tag him to try and keep him 

While I have a different opinion of bakers talent,  I certainly agree with the rest of it. 

He shouldn't be playing for 18mil this year,  he should be playing for the 150mil next contact.  With the remaining QB needy teams,  all the "progress now" teams like us and the prove it now teams like Pitt and falcons.

Baker is a QB1 and will have a lot of opportunity next year if he can just figure out professionalism this year. 

• Upvote 1

Both sides are posturing, neither wants a scenario where Mayfield plays for the Browns this year. Problem for the Browns is that Mayfield’s trade value is very low because of that $18.8M price tag, and the generally ugly nature of the whole situation. I don’t know how much of a pain in the ass Mayfield is to work with, either, which could also be lowering his price. 

I think he winds up in Seattle, with Cleveland paying a chunk of his salary. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Baker mayfield didnt have a problem w/ the browns.  The browns had a problem w/ baker mayfield.  He wont be the qb of the browns because the browns dont want him as there qb.

Again, what is their Plan B?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Again, what is their Plan B?

Plan B = Plan Brisset :-) 

He likely won't get them to the playoffs but he'll make them watchable each week and won't be controversial / more of a talking point than the team etc.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Plan B = Plan Brisset :-) 

He likely won't get them to the playoffs but he'll make them watchable each week and won't be controversial / more of a talking point than the team etc.

Correct.  They already brought in a qb who has a ton of starting experience in this league.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Both sides are posturing, neither wants a scenario where Mayfield plays for the Browns this year. Problem for the Browns is that Mayfield’s trade value is very low because of that $18.8M price tag, and the generally ugly nature of the whole situation. I don’t know how much of a pain in the ass Mayfield is to work with, either, which could also be lowering his price. 

I think he winds up in Seattle, with Cleveland paying a chunk of his salary. 

Kinda thinking it’s Carolina as a landing spot. Matt Rhule is on shaky ground and I’d be very very surprised that he is betting his NFL coaching future on Sam Darnold 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Kinda thinking it’s Carolina as a landing spot. Matt Rhule is on shaky ground and I’d be very very surprised that he is betting his NFL coaching future on Sam Darnold 

I think Panthers could be playoff team with that midget

They got great defense. new mauler on OL, and one of the best RB in game if he stays healthy.  I think Baker could thrive there especially with chip on shoulder.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Browns played the long game here. They knew it was probable that watson didnt play this year.  But starting in 2023, they will have a 28 year old franchise qb for the next 10 years.

Yeah, he can RP Madden for his 3rd consecutive year. He might actually beat Becton at it.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Browns played the long game here. They knew it was probable that watson didnt play this year.  But starting in 2023, they will have a 28 year old franchise qb for the next 10 years.

pretty dumb if you ask me - the contracts of core best teamers are ticking and their cap will be a mess

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

You have two vet QBs presumably available, Mayfield and Garoppolo. SF isn’t trading Garoppolo to Seattle. Have to think they’d be trying to move him to Carolina. At this stage, Jimmy G is the better QB, so that would be the better move for the Panthers, anyway. Mayfield to Seattle is just a matter of the musical chairs left. 

Now if Carolina goes the Mayfield route, SF is kinda screwed because they’ll no longer have any trade market. Markets are weak for both guys, though, and SF can at least release JG without a cap hit. It’s Cleveland that has to make a deal, while SF will not want Garoppolo on the Seahawks. 

It’s a bit of a cluster****. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not so sure 2023 is in play for watson either. 

Interesting situation for Baker Mayfield.

He probably stands to make more money by sucking it up and playing for the Browns. They have a loaded roster and give him the best opportunity to have a good year before hitting the market.

But the Browns have told him he isn't their guy, it would be a nice FU to them for him to tell them he isn't playing regardless of whether or not Watson is suspended for the year. But it could come at the expense of costing him money. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

You have two vet QBs presumably available, Mayfield and Garoppolo. SF isn’t trading Garoppolo to Seattle. Have to think they’d be trying to move him to Carolina. At this stage, Jimmy G is the better QB, so that would be the better move for the Panthers, anyway. Mayfield to Seattle is just a matter of the musical chairs left. 

Now if Carolina goes the Mayfield route, SF is kinda screwed because they’ll no longer have any trade market. Markets are weak for both guys, though, and SF can at least release JG without a cap hit. It’s Cleveland that has to make a deal, while SF will not want Garoppolo on the Seahawks. 

It’s a bit of a cluster****. 

Excellent points?I really like Jimmy G as a QB (wish the Jets would get him if the price tag wasn’t so prohibitive juuust in case Zach fails he makes this iteration of the Jets a playoff contender) With that said I think Baker fits a bit better in Carolina because he’s a bit more mobile than Garropolo where Mayfield can improvise when pocket breaks down and has slightly better accuracy in my opinion. Garropolo is more of a classic pocket passer but is good for a boneheaded decision in any game  Any team with a good supporting roster around them could win with either one

First Watson should be banned indefinitely AND fined with a window to apply for reinstatement in 2 years if the cases are closed and no new ones are brought forth. Any settlement by the NFL should be viewed as admission of guilt.

Second, I think a Darnold for Mayfield swap makes a lot of sense for both teams. Both are stuck with salaries they do not want to pay and swapping them gives at least a chance to perform on new teams.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

If I am Baker, with the millions I already have in my pocket, I stand firm:

Trade me, because I'm not playing for you Browns.  

This was the Browns choice, not his.  And the Browns should live with that decision.

Yes, Baker could "play for his next contract", but the Browns could also franchise tag him, for multiple years to come.  

Screw that noise, separate now.  I'd rather be a backup with a team that wants me than start for a team that didn't.

Since the Browns started this, I have no issue with Baker using his own leverage now.  I'm not usually a hold out supporter, but in this case I'm happy to make an exception.

Then again, I'm one of the very few here who liked Baker coming out, and still likes Baker to some degree.

Browns are a joke - they gave away the store for a guy they had to pay a ton of money and who will likely not play this year. They look like buffoons - they won't be able to franchise tag Baker next year unless Watson is suspended as they don't have any money; they can't pick his replacement as they don't have any 1sts.

That being said, Baker is under contract and there has got to be some 'issues' or the browns wouldn't have done the deal (or that is at least what other teams would think). Smart money is to play his butt off (unless they ban him from training camp), earn his money and wait to be traded, released, or until FA. Take the high road and he will be in the best position to move on. Sitting out just costs him money - Say the right things, and do the right things - sooner or later the Browns will have to blink.

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Great question.

If you're Baker - $18mm dollars or pride?

If you're the Browns: Do you really want a QB starting that doesn't want to be there?

Tricky, I think when all's said and done - Baker doesn't play another down for the Browns and they get the #1 pick next year.

No way he’s ever playing for them again. It’s ridiculous to even entertain the idea that he’d go back.  It would be foolish for the Browns to create that kind of circus to force him to play.  They’d look like total buffoons. They already made their bed and laid in it with guaranteeing Watson’s contract. They knew he’d get slapped with a considerable suspension and signed Briskett to be their back up. He’ll be the starter in 2022. And if Watson is suspended for 2022, the Browns knew it was a possibility, and were prepared to bite their teeth and knew Baker was sayonara when they agreed to the deal. Just to much bad blood between Browns and Baker this point. Remember they even called him an immature kid prior to even signing Watson.  That’s pretty harsh. Eventually they will trade him to Panthers as both those teams will figure a way to make a trade work. 

In my opinion Basically it all boils down to this. He is a PROFESSIONAL NFL QB and should act like  a PROFESSIONAL NFL QB not act like some spoiled brat that didn’t get his way as he has $18 million reasons to act like a pro with the chance of making much much more if he plays well. It’s not a good look as a NFL QB (or in any profession) you run and pout when facing adversity 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CSNY said:

In my opinion Basically it all boils down to this. He is a PROFESSIONAL NFL QB and should act like  a PROFESSIONAL NFL QB not act like some spoiled brat that didn’t get his way as he has $18 million reasons to act like a pro with the chance of making much much more if he plays well. It’s not a good look as a NFL QB (or in any profession) you run and pout when facing adversity 

They pretty much told the guy to go F himself and now he has to act like a pro? I don't even like the guy but come on. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

They pretty much told the guy to go F himself and now he has to act like a pro? I don't even like the guy but come on. 

I don’t like him much either but looking at a bigger picture (ie future contracts) its in his best interest to act like a professional as he’s still getting paid by the team that told him to take a walk. 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Again, the browns dont want baker mayfield.  Why does this keep coming up?  He has no option to play for the browns because the browns dont want him as their qb.

They may not want him over Watson but Watson may not be able to play so they’ll need Baker.  Leaving Baker with the hammer