If I was Baker Mayfield...

Bronx

52 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I don’t like him much either but looking at a bigger picture (ie future contracts) its in his best interest to act like a professional as he’s still getting paid by the team that told him to take a walk. 

I sort of get it but would you put it past that team to screw him anyway?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

No they wouldn't.  They would trade him for minimum  a second  round pick, not an OL coming off a major injury who missed a year and had trouble keeping his weight down. 

If the Jets pay his full salary, they'd trade him Becton without question. 

19 hours ago, varjet said:

BM is under contract.   He is required to play.  He can play for his next contract.  He should suck it up and play and move on. 

Watson should not get paid for the time he is suspended.   The Browns should push for a long suspension.  Like really long.  Years.  

Wasn't Watson under contract last season?

20 hours ago, varjet said:

BM is under contract.   He is required to play.  He can play for his next contract.  He should suck it up and play and move on. 

Watson should not get paid for the time he is suspended.   The Browns should push for a long suspension.  Like really long.  Years.  

Watson won't get paid during his suspension, of course his salary is very low for this season by design.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I sort of get it but would you put it past that team to screw him anyway?

Jet. Makes it even more imperative for Mayfield to take the high road. It will make him more attractive  to other teams, helps him remake his image to a sympathetic figure instead of the douche he is portrayed as now which if he performs well helps his marketing opportunities 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

If the Jets pay his full salary, they'd trade him Becton without question. 

The trade makes no sense for both teams. Baker is maybe a slightly above average. At this point Zach has the higher ceiling.  They don't  need Baker. It also makes no sense for thevBrowns because soneone is going to be willing to trade for Baker sooner or later and his trade value right now is a lot higer than an OL who is a huge question mark. Personally  I think Becton  is going to be fine but it is a gamble the Browns don't  need to make. They can get a mid to late second for Baker at this point. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No they wouldn't.  They would trade him for minimum  a second  round pick, not an OL coming off a major injury who missed a year and had trouble keeping his weight down. 

Not a chance they don’t jump on a player with Becton’s talent.  They know what he did as a rookie at LT, the fans that think he’s done have forgotten and are overwhelmed with twitter and guessing weight of a player who played at over 360lbs.  They live in a fantasy world where if you have one significant injury, you’re done and give up on that player.  

The trade makes no sense for both teams. Baker is maybe a slightly above average. At this point Zach has the higher ceiling.  They don't  need Baker. It also makes no sense for thevBrowns because soneone is going to be willing to trade for Baker sooner or later and his trade value right now is a lot higer than an OL who is a huge question mark. Personally  I think Becton  is going to be fine but it is a gamble the Browns don't  need to make. They can get a mid to late second for Baker at this point. 

You've changed your argument. I never said it made sense for both teams. I'll ignore that part of it. 

The Browns need Baker's salary off the team. Everything says he'd be gone if the Panthers would pay his entire salary. They are more interested in getting him to a new team and his salary off the books then the compensation (I'm not saying they'll trade him for a 7th, but that the difference between Becton + they pay no salary and a 2nd favors the side where they don't pay Mayfield anything). 

21 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

We should trade Be3ton to Cleveland for Mayfield.  New scenery for both.

Jets aren’t touching him unless Zach is absolutely sh*tting the bed in camp in which case I’d genuinely consider it.

I expect he’ll be a Panther by then though and Zach had a pretty good minicamp.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not a chance they don’t jump on a player with Becton’s talent.  They know what he did as a rookie at LT, the fans that think he’s done have forgotten and are overwhelmed with twitter and guessing weight of a player who played at over 360lbs.  They live in a fantasy world where if you have one significant injury, you’re done and give up on that player.  

Actually,  I think Becton will be fine. The point is nobody really knows how he will play this year or if he will reinjure his knee. Therefore Cleveland  would be taking on a lot of risk. It would also be stupid of the Jets because we don't  need Baker. Baker will be traded for draft picks, not a player and especially  not Becton.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You've changed your argument. I never said it made sense for both teams. I'll ignore that part of it. 

The Browns need Baker's salary off the team. Everything says he'd be gone if the Panthers would pay his entire salary. They are more interested in getting him to a new team and his salary off the books then the compensation (I'm not saying they'll trade him for a 7th, but that the difference between Becton + they pay no salary and a 2nd favors the side where they don't pay Mayfield anything). 

Actually I don't think Bakers salary will be an issue if Watson gets suspended for a season which seems to be what is coming. I am fairly sure his salary won't  count against the cap if that happens. He is essentially  not on the team but the Browns still own his rights.  

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Baker is maybe a slightly above average. At this point Zach has the higher ceiling.  

Wilson has a higher ceiling than Baker Mayfield just like lottery tickets have a higher ceiling than a 401k.

Actually,  I think Becton will be fine. The point is nobody really knows how he will play this year or if he will reinjure his knee. Therefore Cleveland  would be taking on a lot of risk. It would also be stupid of the Jets because we don't  need Baker. Baker will be traded for draft picks, not a player and especially  not Becton.  

He may present a risk but the real risk is to the jets if he goes back to his pre injury promise.  The Browns don’t want the BM distraction to the team and fan base and more importantly want get his $18M off of their hands.  While the jets have no use for BM or his $18M price tag

• Upvote 1

Actually I don't think Bakers salary will be an issue if Watson gets suspended for a season which seems to be what is coming. I am fairly sure his salary won't  count against the cap if that happens. He is essentially  not on the team but the Browns still own his rights.  

Why wouldn’t his salary count against the cap?  He is on the team, that’s why it’s a suspension, not a release of rights

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because the team is not paying him. They are trying to punish Watson, not the Browns

They reduced his first year salary to the league minimum to help the serial predator keep as many of his guaranteed dollars as possible, so the Browns set themselves up to pay Watson about $40M more than they needed to do. By doing that conversion, his pro-rated signing bonus carries a $9M hit alone, and that will be on their cap this year whether he plays a down or not. His cap number for the following four years is $55M/year, unless he gets a second year and they do him the same favor. Then his cap number will jump to over $64M with his pro-rated bonus counting close to $20M before salary. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

They reduced his first year salary to the league minimum to help the serial predator keep as many of his guaranteed dollars as possible, so the Browns set themselves up to pay Watson about $40M more than they needed to do. By doing that conversion, his pro-rated signing bonus carries a $9M hit alone, and that will be on their cap this year whether he plays a down or not. His cap number for the following four years is $55M/year, unless he gets a second year and they do him the same favor. Then his cap number will jump to over $64M with his pro-rated bonus counting close to $20M before salary. 

Thanks for the clarification.  I still  don't  think Clevelamd would care about his or Bakers salary. 

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They live in a fantasy world where if you have one significant injury, you’re done and give up on that player.  

Nice spin! What about lack of discipline and motivation to stay healthy? The basic principle of being a professional athlete is to properly manage your weight and physical  condition. He failed to keep his weight which is a critical step to a speedy recovery from a lower body injury. 

His duty is to be a well rounded pro athlete. If he fails to do such, the inevitable negative reaction from the world of sports will continue to harass him limitless. 

52 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because the team is not paying him. They are trying to punish Watson, not the Browns

Hes on the roster why should the Browns get a break for giving him a stupid deal like the one they gave him.  And if you want to circumvent the cap for the year all you have to do is suspend a player?  
The more I think about it, he counts

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Nice spin! What about lack of discipline and motivation to stay healthy? The basic principle of being a professional athlete is to properly manage your weight and physical  condition. He failed to keep his weight which is a critical step to a speedy recovery from a lower body injury. 

His duty is to be a well rounded pro athlete. If he fails to do such, the inevitable negative reaction from the world of sports will continue to harass him limitless. 

What lack of discipline?  Another dream sequence especially since you don’t a clue what his target weight was and if he hit it or not.  Just mindless comments based on you hating on the guy because you forgot what he looked like as a rookie.  
His weight had absolutely nothing to do with his knee injury, it had everything to do with a teammate accidentally rolling up on his knee from behind.  One of the most dangerous play to an OL and why it was made illegal years ago

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

hating on the guy because

I want to see him succeed. I don't hate him, but I am sure that most fans have been frustrated with his uncertainty. I am done with this topic, bark at the tree. 

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes on the roster why should the Browns get a break for giving him a stupid deal like the one they gave him.  And if you want to circumvent the cap for the year all you have to do is suspend a player?  
The more I think about it, he counts

I'm a bit suprised I have to explain this but the team is not suspending him, the league is. The Browns knew this was a possibility when they signed him. Slats explained the salary gets dropped to the league minimum  so he counts about 20 million  with the pro-rated  signing bonus. 

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm a bit suprised I have to explain this but the team is not suspending him, the league is. The Browns knew this was a possibility when they signed him. Slats explained the salary gets dropped to the league minimum  so he counts about 20 million  with the pro-rated  signing bonus. 

you know what, you argue with over everything.  His cap hit is his cap hit.  The league isn’t undoing his contract for a season because the Browns signed a player who The Whole world knew was being suspended.  You don’t get what Slats said and didn’t need explaining, the Browns staggered his deal to a mil to cover Watson suspended season pushing the larger $s to years he’s being paid, so Watson doesn’t lose the $40M or whatever the deal works out per year.  Slats told you the cap value doesn’t go away you said thanks, I said the same earlier and you’re still arguing and explaining it.  

So yes the league is suspending him just like the league isn’t giving the Browns cap relief, it’s the same as if Watson was playing.  There isn’t any explaining required 

36 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I want to see him succeed. I don't hate him, but I am sure that most fans have been frustrated with his uncertainty. I am done with this topic, bark at the tree. 

One thing sure as day, you’re not done talking about Becton

20 hours ago, Jet9 said:

They pretty much told the guy to go F himself and now he has to act like a pro? I don't even like the guy but come on. 

Yes; and right now everyone, even the ones who never liked him (professionally or personally) are getting his back; everyone is calling out Cleveland for being stupid and a joke. He should parlay that attitude towards his future. Only way the tide turns is if he acts like a baby, mopes, and refuses to play.

Instead of people wondering what kind of tool he must be for Cleveland to dump him and give aways all that draft capital and money - they are looking at the Browns organization as clueless. He should enjoy watching the FO look like fools and show the world how stupid they were by acting like a pro and playing the best he can - all the sympathy and the narrative is on his side - he should throw that away (and any of his 18 million) to give them the finger - yep - that would make sense.

It appears that he does not get his salary for any games that he misses, but since he was already paid the signing bonus the prorated portion DOES count against the cap. As Watson has a limited salary this year, it does not affect him too badly and Cleveland takes the salary cap hit no matter how long he is suspended.

This from an article quoting Browns FO: 

The enormous new contract that the Browns gave Deshaun Watson was structured in a way that could protect Watson from the financial consequences if he’s suspended for sexually assaulting female massage therapists. But the Browns say that wasn’t the intent behind the structure of the contract.

Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said the contract giving Watson a huge $44.965 million signing bonus and a minimum base salary this season of $1.035 million was not intended to minimize Watson’s financial losses from a suspension. Berry said it was just a part of the Browns’ salary cap management.

As such, in addition to sending a ton of draft capital, they weren't even smart about the contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

you know what, you argue with over everything.  His cap hit is his cap hit.  The league isn’t undoing his contract for a season because the Browns signed a player who The Whole world knew was being suspended.  You don’t get what Slats said and didn’t need explaining, the Browns staggered his deal to a mil to cover Watson suspended season pushing the larger $s to years he’s being paid, so Watson doesn’t lose the $40M or whatever the deal works out per year.  Slats told you the cap value doesn’t go away you said thanks, I said the same earlier and you’re still arguing and explaining it.  

So yes the league is suspending him just like the league isn’t giving the Browns cap relief, it’s the same as if Watson was playing.  There isn’t any explaining required 

I'm not arguing this. I understood what Slat said and he mentioned the league drops his salary to the league minimum and the hit is 20 million. You on the other hand just said a team can circumvent  the cap by suspending a player which just makes absolutely  no sense. 

17 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It appears that he does not get his salary for any games that he misses, but since he was already paid the signing bonus the prorated portion DOES count against the cap. As Watson has a limited salary this year, it does not affect him too badly and Cleveland takes the salary cap hit no matter how long he is suspended.

This from an article quoting Browns FO: 

The enormous new contract that the Browns gave Deshaun Watson was structured in a way that could protect Watson from the financial consequences if he’s suspended for sexually assaulting female massage therapists. But the Browns say that wasn’t the intent behind the structure of the contract.

Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said the contract giving Watson a huge $44.965 million signing bonus and a minimum base salary this season of $1.035 million was not intended to minimize Watson’s financial losses from a suspension. Berry said it was just a part of the Browns’ salary cap management.

As such, in addition to sending a ton of draft capital, they weren't even smart about the contract.

I actually forgot to consider the signing bonus. That was my bad. I was just thinking about the salary.